The Daily for Tuesday 02/08/2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Plenty of options on-line. Just Google English egg coddlers.

Thanks!

Replacements was one of the first places I looked. They have some nice looking ones but I think they are all used and availabilities seemed limited. 

I need to plan a cruise to the UK so I can go shopping! 

I should look also around the next time we are in Canada...

• Like 20

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I sailed out of NY in 1960, my brother and i were just wee kids, but i remember him saying the water looked like rootbeer, and when we got to clean ocean it was a sprite.😼

Coming back in 1963 was a bit weirder.  The morning was foggy, and the ship ran into a sailboat.  All hands on deck!  Sailboat having the right of way, and we couldnt see it at all.  Wonder if they saw us?  Well stopping the ship caused me to have a bad reaction to not moving, and I got sick. (I still have this problem when we get back to the US after cruising. ) And since breakfast was the last meal I ate?  I didn't eat eggs again until the mid 70's.

I grew up in Morris County NJ, and we would go to NY once in a while.  Our glee club sang in the city several times.  My dad worked in the city, and he wasn't that anxious to go back on the weekends, but then he found this absolutely fantastic Italian restaurant.  No menu.  They just kept bringing courses.  And we started going back to the city more often.  Best day in NY?  Being a wish list.  My friend who had moved from San Francisco to NJ and her Dad, took me into the city, money no object, what should we do. We took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, we went to the Empire State Building, we went to Rockefeller Plaza, and had dinner watching the skaters. The whole day, Joni Mitchells song lyrics, of" Night in the city looks pretty to me" were running through my head.  it was Christmas and all the store windows were just perfect, Christmas lights every where.  It is amazing to me, that one day can bring back so many wonderful memories.

• Like 5

We sailed our sailboat through New York after picking it up in Maine in 2003 - luckily we didn’t have any close encounters!  We were also on Cunard QM2 which arrived there - I remember getting a taxi took a long time.

I am going to the Opera tonight to see Handel’s Semele which is sung in English- hope it is good.

• Like 20

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I got an email from Cunard today that their new ship is to be named Queen Anne!  About time..😊

I believe exactly 23 months late.  IIRC, the release was planned for March 8,2020, a day I was on QM2 in Melbourne Australia.  There was an off-ship gala that day for passengers doing the full world cruise and expect the original plan was to have the big reveal at that event.

Queen Anne will be a close sister to the Pinnacle ships.

Roy

• Like 18

After a busy day I guess it's time to start today's monologue.  I'll start by saying I really don't like cell phones, although out of necessity I've had a flip phone for many years.  It started when I started to volunteer for a senior driving service right after I retired and use it kind of reluctantly.  I've really detested and resisted getting a smart phone, but I finally broke down a couple of months ago.  I don't carry it and really detest it but it will probably get taken when I travel and I'm struggling to set up an uber account.  I do carry the flip phone but get few calls and usually at the worst times. 

I got 2 calls today, both while I was behind the wheel and could not stop.  One was legitimate but unnecessary, the second gave me a scare.  I've been trying to schedule covid tests in advance of my medical appointments.  Maryland has some state testing centers including one less than a mile from my house.  A great idea but doesn't seem to be running as it should.  The results should be ready 2-3 days after the test is taken but it has been running much longer.  I took one January 31 in advance of my Doctor's appointment February 3.  By February 4 I assumed the results had been lost and took a second test, hopefully to have results in time for my Cardiology appointment February 7.  No such luck.  I finally got the January 31 results on February 5.  The notice of results should come as a text.  When there was no text and the call from Maryland Health came today I thought "It must have been positive, I should have gotten a text if the result was negative".

Fortunately, it was negative and I don't have to call the cardiologist and tell her I was positive.

Thinking about my upcoming cruise I want to be sure I'm negative before i get on the ship.  A pcr test is the gold standard but I don't know of any that have quick results.  I don't want to depend on the state so I've scheduled tests with my county health department 6 days before I leave and a week after I'm back.  I hate the saliva collection but it's worth it to have the results in time. 

Of course I need an antigen test in the 2 days before I board and have a couple of options to get it professionally.  I also have a couple of proctored home tests so I should be good to go.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

As a die-hard New Yorker, I will never forget the city of my birth.

That being said I would like to share two photos that are near and dear to my heart.

The first is a photo I took as we sailed into New York Harbor on the MV Atlantic (Home Lines) from Bermuda back in 1986.

The second is a photo of a poster that hangs in our den. 

I will never forget!A76F11C2-6596-4785-B70A-9E9697B7E0C5.thumb.jpeg.8bdbcf0857026188ddf1d263456defa9.jpeg

73FFB185-EB4A-427D-9681-31820A397E73.thumb.jpeg.2534bb52f31f5570e034e16532e39189.jpeg

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

@Mr. BostonI also thought it was Greek at first glance. Then when @MISTER 67looked it up and found out it was Korean, I slowed down and (trud to) pronounced it. THEN it sounded Korean. My ancestry. 😆

I received a weather alert to my email. We have a heat alert (at home) from today though Sunday. “High temps from 86-91 expected.” 😱🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

As a die-hard New Yorker, I will never forget the city of my birth.

That being said I would like to share two photos that are near and dear to my heart.

The first is a photo I took as we sailed into New York Harbor on the MV Atlantic (Home Lines) from Bermuda back in 1986.

I will never forget!A76F11C2-6596-4785-B70A-9E9697B7E0C5.thumb.jpeg.8bdbcf0857026188ddf1d263456defa9.jpeg

73FFB185-EB4A-427D-9681-31820A397E73.thumb.jpeg.2534bb52f31f5570e034e16532e39189.jpeg

We sailed out of NYC to Bermuda and back on the Celebrity Horizon, we returned on Saturday September 1st, 2001, 10 days before that terrible day in United States history. Have some great photos of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Verrazano Narrows bridge, Empire State building and of course we sailed right past the World Trade Center.

As I mentioned earlier, I have visited NYC many times, first in 1965 on a trip with a friend, saw all the sights including the World's Fair and got to see Carol Channing in Hello Dolly and Barbra Streisand in Funny Girl. 2 years later I was stationed at Stewart Air Force in Newburgh which is 50 miles north of the city and friends and I made down to the city quite often, usually taking in ballgames at Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium, also some trips to Aqueduct Race Track.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Thanks!

Replacements was one of the first places I looked. They have some nice looking ones but I think they are all used and availabilities seemed limited. 

I need to plan a cruise to the UK so I can go shopping! 

I should look also around the next time we are in Canada...

So many of us military vets who served in Europe have these. Still have and very frequently use them. Fun to experiment with chives, cheese, herbs and other concoctions.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14

@Quartzsite Cruiser I grew up in Chatham Township.  Up the hill from the Great Swamp.  My first job was working as a volunteer, cleaning up the hiking trails  and running the movie projector.  I am much better in nature than I am with people.  Too bad I didn't realize that when I was younger.

@Overhead Fred I meant to tell you that the Meatloaf meal looked wonderful, even showed DH.  And he said it looked wonderful.  I told him if we left last night we could make it for meatloaf sandwiches by tomorrow.

My campaigns got changed today.  No more Children's museum.  Hollywood Bowl only after tomorrow afternoon.  I think that will let me cut some hours for those upcoming doctors appointments. God works in mysterious ways.  I did tell DH's oncologist about the tumor on the adrenal gland, and his first words are "when is your surgery,  if it's cancer you know who to come see."  Well off to walk the neighbor's dog, while her mommy is off playing pool tonight.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

@Mr. BostonI also thought it was Greek at first glance. Then when @MISTER 67looked it up and found out it was Korean, I slowed down and (trud to) pronounced it. THEN it sounded Korean. My ancestry. 😆

I received a weather alert to my email. We have a heat alert (at home) from today though Sunday. “High temps from 86-91 expected.” 😱🤷🏻‍♀️

Feel free to send it here to melt the ice. 😉. As long as it stays long enough to dry up the water before the deep freeze is back.

I’m dreaming - you can’t blame a girl for that with this mess can you?

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I'm hoping that maybe she and Sam went somewhere with heat until their furnace is fixed.

My hope too.  Carol doesn’t post usually much on the Daily nor on FB.  I’m going to email her.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Beautiful photo. Never forget! ❤️

• Like 2