The Daily for Tuesday 02/22/2022

richwmn

Today's sunrise is once again today (on the way from Nassau to Charleston).  I had started breakfast in a sheltered area looking out a window, and when the sun found a break in the clouds I walked up the stairs to the open deck above.  I thought the deck level view from the midway landing on the stairs was a nice perspective:

dawn0222.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Good morning! Tis 62 degrees and will be in the 70’s later today. In the meantime we have dense fog which is common this time of year with cool waters of the Gulf of Mexico and warmer air.

Today’s recipe sounds good as it was a frequent meal growing up. Probably influenced by a large Italian population who immigrated to America in our area to work the granite quarries as stonecutters.

Coffee, newspaper, Daily, check Roll Calls and then off for a walk.

We really miss our cats but with all our travels it would not be practical and humane to have more.

Thanks Rich and Roy for your faithful reports. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

The quote is a good one. I enjoy wildlife whether it be in the sea or on land.  We went to Victoria on the 14 day Amsterdam trip to Alaska. Beautiful city. We went to Butchart gardens, unbelievable. We had them drop us off in town and we walked back to the ship. Saw some houseboats, a military concert in front of the Empress hotel. It was a great day. Would love to go back.

@irishjim A very Happy Birthday to you. May you enjoy many more.

@StLouisCruisers Glad you are feeling better today. Take it easy if you can. We are continuing to pray for Jennifer.

My friend is coming this morning to help me with my new laptop. Hope he doesnt confuse me more that I already am! LOL.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ClippyJoe said:

Heartgrove,

We have always talked to our dogs. I'm sure outsiders think we are insane when we "discuss " whether it would be a good time to walk and then wait for the dogs response.

That is something that I really enjoy about Sam. Most Alaskan Malamutes are very vocal, almost as if they are trying to form words as opposed to most dogs just barking. I had a Shelty/Dalmation mix that would only bark at important things -  like leaves falling from trees!   😁

• Like 19
  • Haha 10

Good 2'sday morning.  Don't have a dog to walk, cat does not like the harness.  All wildlife is important and we don't play cards anymore.  Dr. Seuss always has something to bring a smile to my face.  The meal meal sounds great, similar to the meatball ziti we had for dinner on Sunday.  I love Victoria, especially the gardens.  @irishjimhappy birthday. 

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Sugar Pop Martini:

Ingredients
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup
1 package Carbonated Candy

Instructions
Build over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into glass rimmed with lemon juice and dipped in carbonated candy.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.10.50 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

We were lucky enough to visit Victoria on one of our 50th wedding anniversary cruises.  The first cruise was in June-July 2019 with our family in Europe.  The second was in September 2019 on the 14 day Alaska cruise on ms Amsterdam.  This day in Victoria, BC took place on Sept. 8 which was 2 days after our actual anniversary.  What a lovely day we had there.  Weather was perfect and the scenery was beautiful.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIC0w-7WZ2RFHnrjPHIMmFX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233649

We followed the red brick road to the downtown area.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4MjLt8YDiFYk8C2uMuXNL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233659

Here's the route on this information board.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKLhLymEA_NiQZa62hTl3v?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227477

We walked around Fisherman's Wharf, British Columbia style.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKXShgK2pJKMSkYMExD63L3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAZkT-j-ZI7HcD36I8_Eq7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233686

This is home for some lucky residents.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKCeo2mrs8t6-wfbXxXwDx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226956

We passed by the ferry loading cars and people onboard.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEi7UKU0e_tUQjEa68_J3a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226982

A view of the Fairmont Empress Hotel.  Huge!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKa9e8jtyxVrJgMRi2zSdkQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568233746

The most gorgeous lilies I've ever seen.  I wonder if Jacqui saw these on her visit?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI8ksrdqujrYd6J0r7xmgaZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568226995

A totem pole with the Parliament behind it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJoZpDrtV0odrC3em0dBpFg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227005

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLi7QDyT-XxInthXojxcuAi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227061

A different totem pole00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6Tw7wdPNdZRYXlDl-vAC8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227408

A buggy ride with a very handsome horse.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFkkFyk9WNjSqI0m3gaM1R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227040

At first we were interested in this obelisk but then the tree caught our attention.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8O98kzRnymrt1Gs9irnhL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227019

Very unique00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxNVhCCWgbrQaOVCwmeXa9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227033

Very old sequoia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjOz0Y6W91-sQ5vJAlvL1l?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227035

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLw6F_RqOWLLXlqBluuBsCn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227411

statue of Capt. Cook00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVICsojuMjjVNsog08RaXCYh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227418

unique botanical statuary00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1dj_vNbrflfJczHzhhVRT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227441

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKQTqYzFWCYCzOEASfGfaCF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568234124

such a cute water taxi00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0rmC030lCJYOnkgJ-LtVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568227454

I hope I can visit Victoria again someday.  It's a beautiful spot on this globe.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  @dfish the recipes look good.  Dinner will be along that theme tonight, spaghetti and meatballs.  I added the wifi package to our Eurodam cruise, there seems to be a slight discount for booking early.  I also added Tamarind for first and last night.  We will book our 5* dinners once on board.  Not booking any excursions until we are on the ship and have a better idea of which ports will allow us to visit.  I priced the drink package and that was a hard no for me.   I hope that everyone has a good day today.

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. I wish we had a dog still to walk.

Yesterday, we had another aide change and the lady left and we will have the man sleeping in which means I don’t have to wake up early every morning to let him in. However, my daughter had to label the freezer because when he defrosted some cooked food early in the week, I asked him to put the left overs in the refrigerator and last night we found them in the freezer. Last week Sam asked him for a stick of butter and he gave him cream cheese somIm not sure where this is heading but I’m ready to give up. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.

Thanks to both Rich and Roy for the lists.

Thankfully both my hands and arms and shoulders are doing a whole lot better.  My prednisone dosage was lowered yesterday and if I continue to do well, I can lower it again in two weeks.

Have an appointment with the doc on March 24 just before we go on our cruise.

Don’t have a dog to walk, so that’s out.

Support National Wildlife.

Love Margaritas. There is a new development near us called Latitudes by Jimmy Buffet. Maybe we’ll go over there today for a Margarita.

As for playing cards.  I love playing cards, but these days am reduced to doing so on my computer. One of my fondest memories was of Holiday family gatherings.  After dinner when the table was cleared, everyone would play poker.  It was so much fun.  We only played for pennies but we all had a good time.  I miss those days.  More importantly, I miss all those family members that are no longer with us.  Now it is just DH and me.  He is not a card-player.  So it is the computer and me.

Happy Birthday to @irishjim.  May you have many more.

@StLouisCruisersHope your headache is better and you are doing better after your MOHS surgery yesterday.  Prayers for your niece.

@kazuprayers for you and Jose.

And prayers for everyone else who needs them and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a wonderful day everyone.  I’m on my way to the hairdresser today.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and Debbie for the wonderful recipes everyday.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Sam loves to go on his walks.

- Jack

When I played this video, Bertie came running in from the other room.  I don't know whether he was responding to the sound of Sam, or the word "walk".  Either way, we're going for another walk now.🙂

• Like 12
  • Haha 13

Good morning from Half.Moon Cay.. Sunny and gorgeous.  Passed our COVID tests yesterday so we can sail the next leg. We had perfect weather for the cruise except for Day one at sea when it rained.

No dog.to walk.  Love playing cards and have a couple of wildlife pics on my phone.   Drink not my cup of tea.   Wine yes and the meatball pasta looks like a winner!

Prayers to all on Roy's care list.  🙏🙏🙏

Wildlife pics pretty lame.  I think I will use laptop for internet next week.  All my photos of Victoria are there.  

IMG_20220108_193318696_MP.jpg

IMG_20220106_101820662.jpg

IMG_20211114_184754775_MP.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from sunny and very windy Quartzsite.  The wind prediction has changed to 25-35mph with gusts to 40-45 mph.  The best part of the perdition change is that we now have a 48% chance of rain tomorrow morning.  But as DH said, "I'll believe it when I see it".  🤞

I wish I still had a dog to walk.  Nikki loved to walk, and since she crossed the Rainbow Bridge, I quit my daily walks as it's not the same without her.  I will celebrate wildlife and hope we can bring endangered species back from the brink of extinction.  I like to play card games, but I also now play them on the computer.  

I like the Dr. Seuss quote.

For dinner tonight, I'll take the easy way and get some of the leftover penne pasta bake with Italian sausage out of the freezer.  That and salad will go with out wine tonight.  Margaritas are okay, but I prefer a frozen strawberry daquiri, especially on a BHB.  We'll skip the wine and the drink.

We have been to Victoria many times by both cruise ship and ferry.  We took the ferry pictured in one of @StLouisCruisers Sandi's pictures from Port Angeles.  I'll look for the pictures I posted a few months ago and repost them for the new Dailyites who have not seen them.

To everyone in the path of all the storms, stay safe and be careful when out on the road.  @kazu Jacqui, I hope there are no problems on the roads today when you go to the hospital.

@Overhead Fred and @StLouisCruisers  Fred and Sandi, thank you for the pictures of Victoria.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you are feeling better and the wound is not sore except to the touch.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you are doing better and were able to lower the dosage.

@mamaofami  Yikes on the new aide even if he sleeps in.  I think I'd give him a 👎.

@ottahand7  Congratulations on the negative test and have fun on the next cruise.

@grapau27  Graham, I loved the lab meme.

@irishjim  I hope Sheila has a good report at the doctor today. 

🎂  HAPPY 83rd BIRTHDAY, JIM! 🥂

Now, I'll go look for my pictures of Victoria.

Lenda

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Dog walking is a daily activity here and this morning it was an early walk in a gently falling snow. Right now the wind is rearranging the overnight snow and we are supposed to have snow showers and light snow throughout the day. Tonight, heavy snow with as much as 12" in town and much more in the high country.... Wolf Creek pass and ski area is forecast for over 5 feet. I will settle for the 1 foot and hope for a bit less. The roofer thinks he can begin on the shelter roof next week..... and it is supposed to warm up into the 40's with sun starting on Thursday afternoon.

Hope all goes well with you today. Will try to get back later, but I may be shoveling.

Susan

• Like 27

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists. Happy Cruising to Roy. 🚢

We miss our dogs and walking them early in the morning.🐕🐾

😊Victoria is lovely~~cruised as well as stayed as tourists. Beautiful B.C.

🎂Happy Birthday to @irishjim and prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie

FB_IMG_1645546333801.jpg

FB_IMG_1645546248323.jpg

FB_IMG_1644679826808.jpg

• Like 31

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI'll take a frozen strawberry daiquiri along with you!

It's been over 24 hours since I was numbed for my procedure and the top of my head (hairline to crown) still feels numb.  Is that normal??   

Yep, I'm a numbskull.🤕

Yep, my numbness lasted for several days.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the great posts. I have a question maybe one of you can answer. I see we have BHBs in the shipyards. How long do they usually stay?  How do you find out what is getting done? I know that for two of our BHBs their job description has gotten changed with the sale of their sister ships. Are they being fitted for the longer cruises, like with fridges in all cabins or just general maintenance? Do you remember when they went into the shipyards? It feels like maybe twenty days ago. Is there a date when they will be out or just when they are done?

• Like 25

Well, I thought I'd posted several pictures of Victoria, but only found two that had been posted.  Don't worry though, I have more to share and will try not to duplicate too many of those already shared.  In fact, I found enough that I'll have to divide them into two posts.

We have been to Victoria on at least four BHBs, but our 2001 call on the Ryndam was in pre-digital times.  We've also been there on the Amsterdam (2010 and 2012), the Statendam (2015) and the Zaandam (2018).

The first time in 2010, the winds were too high to safely dock at Ogden Point  These pictures are of Victoria as we sailed past that day.

Some houses along the shoreline.

P1000988.thumb.JPG.04889c469d956973ef8e0f79e7a49fa0.JPG

P1000992.thumb.JPG.610198f08068b8eada68ec4d8c45fdef.JPG

P1000989.thumb.JPG.9543b3db635c45b0cb3609bd0e4f5d55.JPG

The ferry heading back to Port Angeles, Washington.

P1000993.thumb.JPG.fa129d5c15b040d5089aba3735ee29f7.JPG

In 2010, we did b2b cruises and the second time we were able to dock.  After going out to lunch with cruise friends who live in Victoria, we asked them to drop us off at the Empress hotel.  There was a classic boat festival in the harbor.

P1010417.thumb.JPG.0459e26b78049da9632e8643c29c1e26.JPG

P1010418.thumb.JPG.f99de4e7e3307078beba03695f504b93.JPG

P1010421.thumb.JPG.c6801eaddfd2e4d4008db79832ff5b69.JPG

P1010422.thumb.JPG.3c0c3c87e437bd5e805861de7644409e.JPG

The water taxi.  In 2001 when we took our motorhome to Victoria, we took the water taxi and did the complete circle.  It was a good way to take a harbor tour.

P1010419.thumb.JPG.832318bd28e985bcd1ebaccce60353f5.JPG

In 2012, while on b2b2b cruises, on one of our calls we took the Ho-Ho.  These are some of the pictures from that tour.

P1040839.thumb.JPG.16eedb32110d1a01cafe72d209ca985a.JPGP1040841.thumb.JPG.1df28f32982fde61afaef41aaa0d900e.JPG

P1040842.thumb.JPG.75241edd7566a31f1e565148b43e4c46.JPG

I'm not sure I would feel safe in these small "bikes" on the busy streets.

P1040846.thumb.JPG.1bcd6281e11b57e4e479b500305d61e0.JPG

A couple of pictures from the garden's at the Empress Hotel.

P1040833.thumb.JPG.18320b0de79447b769ddbaacd52461f3.JPG

P1010428.thumb.JPG.59ba408bed7963022a81452ba6eec2cb.JPG

Lenda

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all!

It's a chilly 28 F this morning.  Yesterday DH and I covered all the outdoor planters because this week we're having lows down into the high teens.  All the planters have flowers coming up, they didn't expect this!  Also high winds are expected today -- of course, it's the day to put out the garbage cans!  😄

No dog to walk, I do love looking at wildlife and will especially enjoy that activity in 3 months when we go to Yellowstone with DD, DSIL and the grandsons.  The only card playing I do is on the computer, I do love playing Spider Solitaire.  

Good quote, meal and wine.  The drink sounds a bit sweet for me.  We've been to Victoria many times, it's an easy day trip from home.  My sisters and I stayed at the Empress on one sisters' weekend years ago.  Of course my favorite thing in Victoria is to visit Butchart Gardens, especially in the spring.

Yesterday we were reminded once again how serious Covid is for those who choose to be unvaccinated.  A distant relative by marriage passed away a few days ago.  He scoffed at Covid, even said bring it on....he got what he wished for, sadly.  Now he's left some grandchildren and children who will miss him.  Very sad, it could easily have been prevented.  

@irishjimHappy Birthday!  

@StLouisCruiserscontinued prayers for Jennifer.  You aren't a numbskull 😉  Good to hear that the numbness can last awhile 🙂  

Prayers for all on the care list and cheers for all on the celebrations list.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, it sounds like the doctor used a lot of deadening yesterday.  Hope you get some good news about Jennifer today.

@lindaler  Linda, I can't really answer your question, but I do know that ships have a major hull inspections every ten years.  With Covid, I think Zaandam probably missed that dry dock in 2020. and Volendam was probably past the time for her regular scheduled dry dock last year.

Now it's time for my final round of pictures.  There weren't any that were different in my 2015 pictures, and only a few from 2018.  The dragon boat races were being held that day, and there was a festival with performances by children from different cultures.

DSC04103.thumb.JPG.5307cca9a6f5f847b79a2cc0ff4af1c0.JPG

DSC04104.thumb.JPG.925ccef934f32b39b2d4cf42da55e59d.JPG

From the festival, we walked over to Chinatown and explored it a little.

DSC04105.thumb.JPG.607a4e4c1240d2f11fcaf558e08428c2.JPG

We found this monument on our walk.

DSC04107.thumb.JPG.5212720be0d9a85632617803670f13e0.JPG

We decided to walk down Fan Tan Alley, which was very narrow and filled with little shops.

DSC04109.thumb.JPG.66e5237c209f4fc87c730f9cd2e73562.JPG

DSC04108.thumb.JPG.13b2f80bbf6ef68e0fa45770d696c591.JPG

We then headed to the harbor and the dragon boat races.  On the way, we passed this statue of a soldier returning home.

DSC04121.thumb.JPG.920b9c1596b1154d2cffc4bacfd10d6e.JPG

The dragon boat races.

DSC04122.thumb.JPG.cc3e5352701517dc7580aec171c95409.JPG

DSC04123.thumb.JPG.54b74733a5ce4dde0a57f6098e6bfb97.JPG

DSC04124.thumb.JPG.d6ce9df45bf2b6ce9e8e1886a329e314.JPG

One thing I really like when visiting our neighbors to the north is all the flowers.

DSC04130.thumb.JPG.b060d4be7ef23a74d643b585309da466.JPG

We also passed a building that was be completely rebuilt with the exception of three of the outer walls.

DSC03876.thumb.JPG.29f26f7f6f3f9acecfdb1faeafc34ce8.JPG

I wonder if they ever got it finished?

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6