Print out your documents

Markanddonna

Even though there's no reason to believe that my cellphone is going to be completely inoperable from some cyber attack, let's play along. The cruise is still going to operate, unscathed?

This is like people who are booking balconies because they are scared of being quarantined in an inside cabin. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

This is like people who are booking balconies because they are scared of being quarantined in an inside cabin. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Perhaps some cruisers just don't like inside cabins?  Why judge them by assuming they are ""scared"?  We all have different tastes, diversity is a good thing that makes cruising appealing to us.  The more choices, the better.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Even though there's no reason to believe that my cellphone is going to be completely inoperable from some cyber attack, let's play along. The cruise is still going to operate, unscathed?

I have family in Poland and Ukraine who have always been worried that this type of invasion would happen. Therefore, I tend to consider that the worst can happen. It has for these people. 

• Like 3

I guess I am old school.........I always print out my documents. 

Donna and Mark, my heart goes out to you, your families and all those in Ukraine........what a sad state the world is in with a madman trying to over run an independent country. Wishing you and yours all the best.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Just an FYI, for the time being, it would be prudent to print out testing, flight, and cruise documents in case of a cyber attack. Things could get crazy.

Why just for the time being?  Back up is always a good idea:  do people never lose  a cell phone - or have one simply freeze up?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I have family in Poland and Ukraine who have always been worried that this type of invasion would happen. Therefore, I tend to consider that the worst can happen. It has for these people. 

I sympathise as I have family in Poland and they also have worried about Putin in power as he has too many similarities to Stalin.

41 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I sympathise as I have family in Poland and they also have worried about Putin in power as he has too many similarities to Stalin.

He is a total Stalin fanboy😒. I've got family not far from where the NATO troops have been gathering. Don't know if that makes it the safest or more dangerous place right now😬

To OP I have always thought it is prudent to have hard copies of all important documents. Even without cyber attacks technology fails and the last thing you want is being on the otherside of the world needing documents you can't access. 

I would also put as another tip email PDF copies of documents to yourself or create a draft email with documents attached saved in your email and if you have a cloud account put them there too. That way you have multiple copies in different places if your primary storage fails. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, evandbob said:

Perhaps some cruisers just don't like inside cabins?  Why judge them by assuming they are ""scared"?  We all have different tastes, diversity is a good thing that makes cruising appealing to us.  The more choices, the better.

There is nothing wrong with preferring balconies.

It doesn't change the fact that people will literally still say the reason they want a balcony is because of quarantine fear. 

I print out my docs, especially when out of the US.

I have had bad mobile data access and absolute refusal to look at the docs on my phone.  Access to wifi was available, but only after I check in and become a guest, The docs saved on my phone was the pdf of what she wanted to see on paper.  Calling for the manager/owner was deemed a useless exercise since she's the manager/owner's wife 😐

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It doesn't change the fact that people will literally still say the reason they want a balcony is because of quarantine fear. 

I think that is reasonable for those who would abhor being quarantined to an inside for several days.  For some the risk of being isolated  in an inside for 5 or more days would be a deal breaker I think.   I'm not in that camp, but understand why someone would be anxious.   

2 hours ago, Philob said:

I print out my docs, especially when out of the US.

I have had bad mobile data access and absolute refusal to look at the docs on my phone.  Access to wifi was available, but only after I check in and become a guest, The docs saved on my phone was the pdf of what she wanted to see on paper.  Calling for the manager/owner was deemed a useless exercise since she's the manager/owner's wife 😐

We generally print them out too. With my luck the cell battery would go dead right when I get to the counter!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/26/2022 at 7:49 AM, evandbob said:

I would refuse to book a flight without a seat assignment because I want legroom.  I guess I'm scared of getting stuck in a standard economy seat.  I can live with that!  😁

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I think that is reasonable for those who would abhor being quarantined to an inside for several days.  For some the risk of being isolated  in an inside for 5 or more days would be a deal breaker I think.   I'm not in that camp, but understand why someone would be anxious.   

Except that now if you are quarantined, they usually move you to an inside quarantine cabin.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

With my luck the cell battery would go dead right when I get to the counter!  

Your luck seems to run the same as mine.  

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Putin in power as he has too many similarities to Stalin.

Agree.  Putin reminds me of Hitler; nibble, nibble, nibble regions/countries in Central Europe until he started WW II.  Hitler double crossed Stalin.  If negotiations start and are successful to settle the conflict, I wouldn't trust Putin's agreement to anything.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Don't you even remember the human rights atrocities on Diamond Princess?  The passengers were locked in their cabins 24/7, except for 1 hour of daily exercise/walking time on the deck.  That's as much outdoor time as prisoners get in Florence ADX (a supermax prison).  As irrational as it seems to you, I don't blame people for booking balconies for that reason.  Heck, I myself refuse to cruise at all, until I can fully guarantee for myself that a captain with a pillar up his butt won't quarantine everyone in their cabins just because.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

53 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Don't you even remember the human rights atrocities on Diamond Princess?  The passengers were locked in their cabins 24/7, except for 1 hour of daily exercise/walking time on the deck.  That's as much outdoor time as prisoners get in Florence ADX (a supermax prison).  As irrational as it seems to you, I don't blame people for booking balconies for that reason.  Heck, I myself refuse to cruise at all, until I can fully guarantee for myself that a captain with a pillar up his butt won't quarantine everyone in their cabins just because.

The Diamond Princess was quarantined by the Japanese government.  Not the captain. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Except that now if you are quarantined, they usually move you to an inside quarantine cabin.

That is my understanding as well.   Enjoying a cruise from an inside cabin is altogether different than being trapped in one for several days.  I sure wouldn't want the latter.   

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Truth is, if quarantined, I believe folks are moving to a different cabin.   Think quarantine cabins are all balconies, based on recent Ruby cruise.