For people that do 3 and 4 night cruises from Florida? Always wondered this?

Jimbo

Is the ship just full of Florida passengers? Just doesn't seem that  to many people would fly in for only 3 or 4 day cruise? 

Yes , I know some will tie it in with maybe a Disney land vacation but still, just seems like a boat load full of  Pinnacle  Florida residents right?

Just would make me feel like I would have to stay up all day and night for 72 or 96 hours straight to make me feel like this cruise is worth it.

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Is the ship just full of Florida passengers? Just doesn't seem that  to many people would fly in for only 3 or 4 day cruise? 

Yes , I know some will tie it in with maybe a Disney land vacation but still, just seems like a boat load full of  Pinnacle  Florida residents right?

Just off the Mariner 4 day. Their were 33 Pinnacles out of 2755 people. Met several people from out of state but I did not quiz them on why they were on a short cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sometimes, a long weekend is all you can get.  We've flown down for many weekend cruises.  There are times where there's sales on both a cruise and the flight at the same time.

Just because you don't think people will doesn't mean other people won't do it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Just off the Mariner 4 day. Their were 33 Pinnacles out of 2755 people. Met several people from out of state but I did not quiz them on why they were on a short cruise

Maybe I shouldn't have put Pinnacles in my post................I find it neat though when at the first show in the theatre the cruise directors usually asks where everyone is from.........When he yells out the different states..........I would think when he says Florida, 3/4 of the room raise their hands......maybe I'm wrong. 

Have never done a short cruise.

11 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Sometimes, a long weekend is all you can get.  We've flown down for many weekend cruises.  There are times where there's sales on both a cruise and the flight at the same time.

Just because you don't think people will doesn't mean other people won't do it.

Must be looking at the wrong sites...............never seen air flights thrown in on short cruises............Only on longer cruises or over seas cruises.

Also do 3 and 4 night cruises feel different then a 7 night cruise? More upbeat, people feel more pressure to get things done since they have shorter time onboard.

Does the crew act any different?

Edited by Jimbo

We’ve done a few and have flown in for 3.  Sometimes it is all we could get away for.  They are great to take the family on because it’s cheaper and less time commitment from everyone.  Our daughter flew in for a honeymoon cruise because making a ship on Sunday after the Saturday wedding was too fast but Monday worked.  And I admit to doing it to make Diamond before a long European cruise.  

We think they are a bit more party like.  Some people will try to drink all weekend on a 3 day.  Mon-Fri less.  Some people do it to just try cruising. 

Now we might add one to a week cruise but we wouldn’t think it was worth it to fly in for one anymore.  Best part…..packing a carry on only.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 1

Port Canaveral is about 25 min away from our home in Satellite Beach which makes it is very easy to get up there for a cruise.  However, I am not a fan of the 3 or 4 day cruises, both just seem way to short and not worth unpacking for.    We try to combine them into a B2B but then you have a repeat of itinerary each leg so we don’t do this very often. 

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Lots of people do 3/4 night B2B’s as well, and believe it or not, many just want to get on a ship for the weekend and are willing to drive or fly to do it.  There are often cheap RT flights to Florida from east coast airports.  On our last 3 night, there were 20 Pinnacles (2,700 guests) and 25 Pins on the one before that.  We usually take a few 3 nighters each year (easy getaway while still working), but even though we live in Florida, the majority of our cruises are 7+ nights, not from Florida with many TA’s, TP’s, and European B2Bs.

• Like 2

Many years ago when we still worked and before we moved to Florida, we would come for vacations and occasionally it was cheaper for us to include a quick 4 night on a ship than pay for hotel and meals for those nights.  We did that a few times.  I’m sure others do that too.

• Like 2

Just got off a 4 night.  We did it because it fit in with my kids spring break and we did add on Disney to the trip.  It was the first cruise for the kids so was a good way for them to see if they enjoy cruises.  It does seem really short and they finally figured out their way around the ship by the last night so a longer cruise would have been more enjoyable.  As for the crew, the room attendant didn't seem to enjoy these as turn around days are a lot of work to get everything cleaned and sanitized so doing that twice in 3 days is a lot of work.  He did make the comment that these short cruises are a lot more work than the longer ones just for that reason. 

• Like 2

On my last two sailings I've met people from all over.  Not everyone is from Florida. There might be a good percentage of Floridians on the short cruises but there are also people from other States and Countries.  Some are on B2B or B3B so that lengthens the cruise time. Only 13 Pinns on the Jewel in February.

• Like 1

I am always amazed at the welcome show the first night when I hear where people are from.  It seems like a lot of trouble and expense for such a short cruise.  When I worked, I considered three-night cruises to be an inexpensive long weekend that just happened to be on a ship. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Must be looking at the wrong sites...............never seen air flights thrown in on short cruises............Only on longer cruises or over seas cruises.

Also do 3 and 4 night cruises feel different then a 7 night cruise? More upbeat, people feel more pressure to get things done since they have shorter time onboard.

Does the crew act any different?

We find that every cruise is a little different.  

Of course, the weekend cruises are far more party cruises, so we are pretty careful to choose a cabin.  But even though they are short, they are also very refreshing when you need a break.

One way the crew is different is that they notice when you are nice.  

• Like 2

As a Florian I've been on a lot of 3 day cruises and I'm always gobsmacked at the number of people not from Florida. I only do the 3 day one because it's so close - I don't even have to take off Monday and can do just a half day on Friday if I want. They're enjoyable, but but add the cost of a flight if that's all you're doing enjoyable, but I know plenty do! 

• Like 1

We are on the Independence now. We live 30 miles from the port and it’s the least expensive 3 day getaway for us. I can go away and use no PTO from my job. Any beachside hotel anywhere in the state would cost much more. 

• Like 1

I think too there are a lot of new to cruise on the short FL cruises.  People want to try a cruise to see if they'll like it so a short cruise is perfect for that.  That's why (in part) Royal put amped ships, then Freedom class and now Allure into the short cruise market. 

Do you want a new to cruise guest experiencing an old run down ship or a newer or bigger ship that is more likely to create a positive first cruise experience and a return guest booking a longer cruise? 

• Like 4

My sister-in-law and I took a four night cruise out of Miami in January. We flew to Miami from Atlanta. Four nights fit the budget and wasn’t too long away from her kids. It was my SIL’s first cruise and our first girl’s trip together. Four nights was less intimidating than a week.

My first short cruise, years ago, seemed not worth the hassle. This one was relaxing and well timed.

• Like 2

Our last 2 cruises were the 3 night cruises in February before the Pandemic. We are in NJ and needed to get away from the cold. I work for an airline and can get on flight standby. One cruise was a quick getaway for just my husband and me. The next one, we brought the kids because they had a half day on a Friday and off the Monday for president's weekend. Our next booked cruise is a 7 night over the kids' spring break. 

Edited by whirlygal
  • Like 1

We are doing a 4 night in April, wish it was a longer one!  We are driving from SC to Port Canaveral and staying a night.  Was looking at stopping in St. Augustine or Savanah on the way back, but this cruise has been changed 3 times and we didn't realize it was Easter Break, so rooms are so expensive.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I think too there are a lot of new to cruise on the short FL cruises.  People want to try a cruise to see if they'll like it so a short cruise is perfect for that.  That's why (in part) Royal put amped ships, then Freedom class and now Allure into the short cruise market. 

Do you want a new to cruise guest experiencing an old run down ship or a newer or bigger ship that is more likely to create a positive first cruise experience and a return guest booking a longer cruise? 

Makes you wonder too does 7 night cruises or a 3 or 4 night cruise give the cruise line more revenue per day? On a short cruises I would think I would have to get my bang for the buck so might spend more per day on a short cruise.

I know though on turn around day the cruise line is paying port people twice as much for doing two short cruises instead of just one 7 day cruise per week.

Meaning they have to load and unload baggage and check in people twice a week rather then once a week.

Must be worth it to the cruise lines though because they continue to do short cruises.

I have done one short 3 day cruise so far.  It was something that I added on to trip out to Florida in conjunction with my work.  I enjoyed it but it was too short. I don't really unwind until day 3 or 4.

I was thinking that once they put Navigator in LA I'd be all over it but sadly I haven't been able to yet.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4