things that are never coming back to HAL

kangforpres

2 hours ago, gdy0354 said:

self-service laundry machines

I’ve only used the self service laundry machines on Seabourn and Azamara.  The laundry room was very active on sea days as was the hallway with people coming and going waiting for a machine or dry laundry.  I much prefer sending out a bag of dirty laundry for someone else to wash and fold and return to me.  I didn’t enjoy doing laundry on a ship, I was on vacation!    Some delicate items I can hand wash and dry on the clothesline above the tub or shower.   

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Y'know, that's the one change that I REALLY hate.  The Mariner medallion reception is the ONLY time that we actually wear our medallions.  Now that's limited only to 5*s -- and I still lack 100+ points for that.  Since resumption of cruising I no longer even pack my medallion.  Well, I did on the first post-COVID cruise in October because I didn't know about the change.  Seriously?  How significantly does it impact their revenue stream to just provide a glass of cheap wine for the 4*s?

There wasn’t a medallion gathering on our recent cruise.

Our Steward knocked on our door and handed mine in it’s box to my hubby, and said it was for me. There was no Mariners happening.

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Just to add to the list:

packs of crackers

cartons of milk

art auction flyers

cooking classes

Mariner's Luncheons

Mariner medal ceremonies open to all Mariners

wine stewards

crew smiles

Crew smiles will return when the masks go away!   

The Mariner’s luncheons were a marketing opportunity for HAL as far as I’m concerned.  We loved meeting mariners who had traveled to other regions.  They often  motivated me to sign up for another cruise!  The time wasn’t convenient, the food choices were limited, but the conversations with the other mariners were priceless!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Well except it took an average of 3 hours to board the K-dam cruise in Vancouver on May 7. Hopefully that will improve as the season grows and they hire more people for embarkation. Only 5 people checking health docs and 5 people doing check-in for a cruise with 1800 pax. and then after security another long line to go through US Customs since the first stop is Alaska.

We boarded on May 7 with absolutely no delay.  We were late (2:30) because of traffic, walked into the room and saw tons of people waiting to board.  However, we had the Verifly app and that line had no one in it.  Took less than 5 minutes to scan and walk on ship

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We did have jars of mixed nuts every night in the Ocean Bar on our cruise on the Rotterdam in March. 

We also had cabin service twice a day but no mints on the pillow.

No lobster, not a big deal with us.

BTW the Rotterdam was sold out for our cruise except for cabins set aside for Covid.

That's because they liked you better. ;)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

crew smiles

I felt nothing but smiles from the crew on the Zuiderdam in February.  I can tell if someone is happy to have me aboard even if they are wearing a mask.  I could not have asked for better service.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, molly2kit said:

We boarded on May 7 with absolutely no delay.  We were late (2:30) because of traffic, walked into the room and saw tons of people waiting to board.  However, we had the Verifly app and that line had no one in it.  Took less than 5 minutes to scan and walk on ship

Well we came at 12:15 after an hour bus ride from the airport with a bus driver who didn't know where to drop us at Canada Place, first he stopped at the Convention Center. It was probably about 2.25 hour but everyone we talked to on our shore Ex and said it was the longest they ever had to wait.

2 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Well we came at 12:15 after an hour bus ride from the airport with a bus driver who didn't know where to drop us at Canada Place, first he stopped at the Convention Center. It was probably about 2.25 hour but everyone we talked to on our shore Ex and said it was the longest they ever had to wait.

I spoke with someone who must have been on the same bus as you.   Traffic was ridiculous that day, instead of getting a ride we ended up getting on the Canada Line.  I know they changed the luggage drop off area, we ended up taking the luggage to the parking garage for drop off.   

We entered HAL around the Millennium before the last vestiges of the old guard (of which much is worth holding on to btw) had been discarded. We can handle the Baked Alaska Parade going the way of the dinosaurs as long as the wine list continues to progress out of 1980's American steak house Cally uniculturalism to the vinicultural multinational feast that it should be and they keep expanding their cuisine to encompass the globe that HAL itself encompasses. That is a good change. That is what we Gen Xers love. Variety of the spice of life. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just to add to the list:

packs of crackers

cartons of milk

art auction flyers

cooking classes

Mariner's Luncheons

Mariner medal ceremonies open to all Mariners

wine stewards

crew smiles

Baked Alaska, bottled water, newspaper and puzzles delivered to your mailbox,  disembark room service (for me the most awful takeaway)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

The Baked Alaska waiter parade on Gala Nights in Alaska.

I think those are gone for good.  We noted that the dining room on the NS did not even have the grand sweeping dual staircase for such presentations 

On the Zuiderdam April 3-13, 2022 cruise, we had:

- Turn down service - as requested. I feel I'm paying HAL enough money that they can provide me with first class service. 

- Bar nuts:   in Pinnacle Grill Bar  (we didn't go to any other bar pre-dinner)  

What I hope HAL brings back, or starts: 

The MDR as a special place to gather and meet new people over a nice dinner,  and have conversations. In other words, put down your phone and talk to one another. 

Encourage people to come to the MDR  for special nights that they will share and remember. French wine night, Spanish tapas night, Champagne night, Officer at Your Table night.   

"Savor the Journey".  Right, HAL ?  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

What I hope HAL brings back, or starts: 

The MDR as a special place to gather and meet new people over a nice dinner,  and have conversations. In other words, put down your phone and talk to one another. 

Encourage people to come to the MDR  for special nights that they will share and remember. French wine night, Spanish tapas night, Champagne night, Officer at Your Table night.   

"Savor the Journey".  Right, HAL ?  

Yes. On HAL the MDR has always and should always be an elegant event. We do eat at the specialty restaurants a few times each cruise but we love dining in the elegance of the MDR. It is an event for us as a family. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kangforpres said:

The Yum Yum Man use to hand out mints and other after dinner treats as you are existing the MDR after dinner.

And walk through the nearby public areas before dinner, with chimes, to announce that dinner was imminent.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

Baked Alaska, bottled water, newspaper and puzzles delivered to your mailbox,  disembark room service (for me the most awful takeaway)

I miss the newspaper; I liked it for the NY Times crossword puzzle and the sports scores, even though they would be a day late. DW, OTH, wanted no news at all while we were on vacation.

• Like 3

What I miss most is not entirely HAL's doing.

When we started sailing on HAL, dinner every night was a significant event.  Everyone attended, no one wanted to get in and out as fast as possible.  There was conversation at the table.  Everyone dressed for the occasion.  We often remarked that 99% of men wore tuxedoes on formal nights, and blue blazers on all the other nights.  HAL passengers did that best.

• Like 8