Included (classic) drinks package - does it actually include any drinks?

mcshane

We are booked on our first Celebrity cruise next week and the classic drinks package is included. I’m a bit apprehensive about whether I will actually be able to order anything to drink without paying extra! We don’t want to upgrade as our budget is limited. 

My understanding is that drinks $9 or under are included. When I browse the menus for the restaurants and bars, however, most of them seem only to have white wines (my beverage of choice) for more than $9 (usually at least $11). Will I really not be able to find a glass of white wine that is within the package? 

Thanks for any any advice and experience! 

Advice is: the bartenders and/or wine stewards or whoever will be serving you, let them know you are on the classic package and they will pour accordingly.

If they have nothing they will provide you with the upgraded wine at no additional charge, usually, OR let you know nothing is available.

A few posters have written about the reverse, getting a cheaper wine than the package they have i.e. classic wine under premium package.

If they do not have a wine within your package, request they go find it, it may take a while but they will remember you and the request.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mcshane said:

Very helpful and reassuring - thank you! 

Bo, as a fellow vegan, I have enjoyed and learned from your posts - we are hoping we can find some great options next week! 

m - you will find some phenomenal options next week...

If you do not, do what I would do - ask to speak with the F&B Manager, they will surely help out and then some...

If you do speak with the F&B Manager, have a glass of the more expensive wine in hand for illustration... LOL, and when they provide a good resolution, then you can raise your glass and say Thank You and Cheers...

Let us know how you make out upon your return...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

As I remember, the wine list begins with a page of wines by the glass which are included in the classic package, then a page of those which are included in the premium package.  So you should be able to see what’s on offer by consulting the menu and I don’t believe it changes from night to night although there may be ‘daily recommendations’ at each price point

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mcshane said:

We are booked on our first Celebrity cruise next week and the classic drinks package is included. I’m a bit apprehensive about whether I will actually be able to order anything to drink without paying extra! We don’t want to upgrade as our budget is limited. 

My understanding is that drinks $9 or under are included. When I browse the menus for the restaurants and bars, however, most of them seem only to have white wines (my beverage of choice) for more than $9 (usually at least $11). Will I really not be able to find a glass of white wine that is within the package? 

Thanks for any any advice and experience! 

You will be able to have plenty of choice. We have taken many a cruise without issue of ordering above the classic package and were always well lubricated. There are white, red and rose and sparkling options available on the classic package as well as many cocktails frozen or not and also specialty coffee drinks. Don't stress about meeting with anyone to determine what you can and can't order. When the bartender or sommelier come to take your order, order what you'd like and hand them your seapass card. The card has your package indicated on it. (It will say CALL  for Classic). They will bring you a beverage within your package or advise you that what you are ordering is an addition charge. Enjoy and don't spend time worrying...you'll be fine. Happy sails and calm seas,

• Like 1

You will be fine.  Once stopped at rendezvous bar and went to order a drink.  Bar tender looked at my card and said , “ oh, we have nothing here that is included in your drink package.  You have to go to another bar.” What?   I said that I would wait while he got me a drink from another bar that was included in the classic pkg.  He sent somebody and got us what we wanted.  After that, we stopped at that same bar and got the same drink without any attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i was told if you get a glass of wine that costs more than your package allows,  you just pay the difference-  like if your package is $9 and you get one for $11 ,  you pay $2 difference......

27 minutes ago, piercetc4 said:

i was told if you get a glass of wine that costs more than your package allows,  you just pay the difference-  like if your package is $9 and you get one for $11 ,  you pay $2 difference......

Plus the 20% gratuity. 

Never had a problem with Classic at all. We just always work w the bartenders, so they know to usually keep us within our package. They’ve been great over the years. Once in a while, we may order a special drink and pay the difference, but the classic has been great for us - basically regular beers, rum, vodka, whiskey, tequila, gin, some coolers or cider, cocktails when made w the included alcohols, wines, mimosas, specialty coffees, fresh juice ( I’m not sure if this is still included now) and bottled water. And it is great because if you get a more expensive one you are only charged the difference now.

The problem now is they are having severe supply issues.

Onboard Millennium it is virtually impossible to get a premium package wine.

They claim they are out and substitute a classic package wine.

Even the F&B could not help - just complained about not getting what they need !!!

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay in replying - I am happy to report that we had a wonderful experience! 

In contrast to the frequently cited $9 per drink, on our cruise, at least, it was $11 per drink or less that was covered by the classic package. In any event, it wasn’t an issue, and we simply asked for “the Sauvignon Blanc on the classic package” or whatever alternative we desired, and were furnished with a drink without any questions. This applied to every bar and also the main dining room. If my husband wanted a mixed drink (eg vodka and Diet Coke), we asked for that and stated that we were on the classic package. 

I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of ordering. If we had wanted fancy cocktails, it would have been an issue, but we adjusted our needs as necessary.

I hope this is helpful to others who may be concerned. Thanks to everyone who provided reassurance! 

• Like 4

If your cruise was out of Southampton all menu prices must reflect the price with the gratuity included.  So the the $9 glass of wine is reflected as $11 and Classic package on those sailing has a $11 limit 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcshane said:

Apologies for the delay in replying - I am happy to report that we had a wonderful experience! 

In contrast to the frequently cited $9 per drink, on our cruise, at least, it was $11 per drink or less that was covered by the classic package. In any event, it wasn’t an issue, and we simply asked for “the Sauvignon Blanc on the classic package” or whatever alternative we desired, and were furnished with a drink without any questions. This applied to every bar and also the main dining room. If my husband wanted a mixed drink (eg vodka and Diet Coke), we asked for that and stated that we were on the classic package. 

I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of ordering. If we had wanted fancy cocktails, it would have been an issue, but we adjusted our needs as necessary.

I hope this is helpful to others who may be concerned. Thanks to everyone who provided reassurance! 

Exactly our previous experiences...never been an issue at all. - glad you enjoyed!

I agree I have never had issue with a good drink on Classic Beverage package. Like my vodka with a diet white soda and never had a problem. We always upgrade my DW to premium because she loves martinis.

Yes if your drink is more than the $9 cost as stated you just pay the difference plus gratuities.

Honestly, just about any mixed drink can be obtained with the Classic Package.  The main difference is the Classic Package drinks will be made with well brands and the Premium Package will make the same drink with call brands (often only if you request them.)  You can get a Mojito, Margarita, Long Island Tea, etc on the Classic Package.

The menus at the bars and in the MDR do not list every drink they have.  I often would never see a Sauvignon Blanc in my Classic Package price point on the wine by the glass MDR menu…I would just say I’d like a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and I have the Classic Package and I always got a glass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Honestly, just about any mixed drink can be obtained with the Classic Package.  The main difference is the Classic Package drinks will be made with well brands and the Premium Package will make the same drink with call brands (often only if you request them.)  You can get a Mojito, Margarita, Long Island Tea, etc on the Classic Package.

The menus at the bars and in the MDR do not list every drink they have.  I often would never see a Sauvignon Blanc in my Classic Package price point on the wine by the glass MDR menu…I would just say I’d like a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and I have the Classic Package and I always got a glass.

And even if you’re on the Premium package, you’re likely to get Classic package well brand drinks unless you specify a Premium package brand of liquor when you order.

24 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

And even if you’re on the Premium package, you’re likely to get Classic package well brand drinks unless you specify a Premium package brand of liquor when you order.

I like Grey Goose and if I've paid for it I expect to get it. I watch them when making the drinks.  Once I ordered a martini and bartender made it out of my sight.  Took a sip and didn't care for it so left and went to World Class Bar, my favorite on S Class ships. 

If your drink of choice is a simple cocktail and you're fine with well drinks, classic should be just fine. On the other hand, if you're a wine drinker, I would upgrade to premium. A minimum of $13-$15 is where you start to find the drinkable wines IMO.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

On the other hand, if you're a wine drinker, I would upgrade to premium. A minimum of $13-$15 is where you start to find the drinkable wines IMO.

They are usually out of many of the premium wines but will offer a downgraded substitute. Not their problem if guests, myself included, are dumb enough to purchase the PBP.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1