The Daily for Sunday 05/29/2022

richwmn

Today is Learn About Composting Day, International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, and Indianapolis 500

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.--E.E. Cummings

Meal Suggestion for today - salsa verde enchilada pie
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Tease Martini
Wine of the Day - Theopolis 2018 Estate Grown Petite Sirah (Yorkvill
Destination of the Day - Raiatea, Society Islands, French Polynesia

Ships With Passengers

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland

Rotterdam   07:00 - 16:00

At Sea

Eurodam   Destination Juneau, Alaska
Koningsdam   Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska -Juneau, Alaska eta 05/30

Bar Harbor, Maine

Zaandam   07:00 - 16:00

Barcelona, Spain

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 16:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Noordam   07:00 - 16:00

Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera

Oosterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Whittier, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   01:00 - 22:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0529World.thumb.png.58193cccbbc3cdd0a5febae507b70cbe.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and thanks for the Daily.

It's cloudy here this morning, but supposed to clear up this afternoon with a high of 26C (79F) 🙂

Interesting days.  We have a composter in  our backyard.  Garden clippings and kitchen trimmings go in, compost comes out - it's great.  A big thank you to Peace Keepers.  Not a fan of car racing but others love it.

Sometimes it takes a long time to grow up.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The drink sounds like summer, yum!  Hope the wine is tasty too.

Thanks in advance for pictures of today's port.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.

Prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 33

Have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend 

beachflags2020 (4).jpg

Edited by GTVCRUISER
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It has been raining most of the morning but stopped for us when we got out of the car and went into church.

Thank you @richwmn for taking the time every day to produce an interesting thread.

Being from the UK I have never watched the Indianapolis 500.

When called upon the International peacekeepers do a wonderful job.

We usually buy compost from the garden centre.

Not sure about today's quote as I have always tried to do my best in everything I do.

Todays food and drink I'm not sure about.

French Polynesia always sounds exotic and some day it would be nice to cruise there.

I included our care list in my prayers at church today.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. It is a lovely morning here. Yesterday was fun, and a bit hectic.  The new Top Gun movie is really good. Some lovely shots of San Diego. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. I hope you are enjoying your new cruise. I am a bit behind in reading your “Live From”. Looking forward to enjoying catching up today.  Morning Dailyites. I have no clue what I am going to do today after the gym & Aldi. I have some party lights I need to replace on my patio, but not sure if I will do them today. Depends on which way the wind is blowing & how strong it is blowing. I think shrimp scampi & zoodles are in my future tonight. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Theopolis 2018 Estate Grown Petite Sirah

This wine offers you a “thrill ride”! It is at the top of my budget range, and though I might try a taste - I probably would not purchase it. Several online distributors with prices starting at $40.00.

Distributor Notes

Bright fruit, firm tannins, and robust spice envelop this Estate Grown Petite Sirah. The glass opens with fragrant notes of black cherry, violets, and woodsy spices. Big notes of cola, vanilla, and blackberry jam burst on a palate framed by velvety tannins. 

This vintage will stand up now and age beautifully for decades.

Theodora R. Lee aka "Theo-patra" takes great care in hands-on to deliver us another award winning vintage and wine.

Specifications 

Theopolis Vineyards
Petite Sirah
Women and Minority Owner, Producer, Winemaker -Theodora R. Lee
Dry
Yorkville Highlands
Winemaker Notes

This vintage of our Petite Sirah was fermented in open top stainless tanks, manually punched down, aged in 30% new and 70% neutral French oak barrels for 20 months, bottled unfined and unfiltered.

Food Pairing

pairs well with barbecue, hearty stews, braised and grilled beef, pot roast, veal, wild game, oxtails, charcuterie, lamb, sausage or dark chocolate.

Awards and Accolades

92 POINTS - GRAPELIVE

The latest release from Theodora Lee (AKA Theopatra) And Theopolis vineyards is her 2018 Estate Grown Petite Sirah, which is a thrill ride of dense and spicy flavors and comes from her amazing terraced vineyard in the Yorkville highlands in Mendocino County. This might be the best site and most distinct for Petite Sirah in California, and I have loved this wine since I first tried it, with this 2018 being one of the most exciting to date, its inky purple opaque color and its racy peppery undercurrent making it irresistible. As I have found over the last five vintages, this site give Petite Sirah a northern Rhone like profile and this 2018, from a long cool growing season, really accentuates that character with the mentioned peppery nature or peppercorn note as well as the lively energy found here. It additionally adds hints of lilacs, anise and creme de cassis come out with air and the power tannins smooth out when this beautiful Petite Sirah opens up, this is very serious stuff.

- Kerry Winslow

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

We really enjoyed Top Gun too. The flying scenes are fabulous. My brother was a fighter pilot when he was younger, I am always in awe of how clever he must be! We tended to think of him as just an annoying little brother.  Best Wishes to all.

• Like 33

Good morning friends!  We are still sailing towards Halifax where Roy is stopping today, and it seems like we've been at it for days.  We have been!  Unfortunately we have no internet on our IPhones (yesterday and today) but the laptops and IPads seem to be receiving it.  I just wanted to come by and say hi to all my friends here and tell you I miss everyone.  ❤️

Thanks to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser  for posting my photos the other day.  I see today is a port we've had before but I don't know which day.  I'm sure Lenda can handle it, if she has time to post.  Thanks to Rich and Roy for posting for us each day and each and every contributor here.  I hope everyone is well, and I will continue to pray that all will improve and feel comfort.  🙏

I've enjoyed meeting Kay and Jim @kb4683and we both wish more Dailyites were on board with us.  By the way DH and I have the drink package here on Princess and believe me we are not keeping up with the 15 drinks per day!  We must be light-weights!

I'm going to sit with the Knitters and Knatters ladies this morning and work on a cross stitch Christmas stocking.  DH and I were supposed to go to the Most Traveled Guest Luncheon at noon today but "due to unforeseen circumstances" it has been postponed until next Saturday.  I saw the Loyalty hostess's office was closed yesterday so I hope she hasn't come down with Covid and that is the reason for the delay.  Oh dear! 

Take care everyone, and bon voyage to Sharon and DH!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Add the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, currently being run, to today's sports activities.

Sandi, and the Island Princess should be visible on the Halifax webcam tomorrow.

- Jack 

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Well my wishes to not have a booster reaction fell on deaf ears, I feel pretty crappy right now but if I’m like DH I should feel better around lunchtime. Fingers crossed.  International peacekeepers certainly have their work cut out for them right now.  I don’t have any space for composting but I do find it fascinating. Enjoy the Indy 500 those of you that follow it.  Pass on the meal as last night was taco night.  I can’t entertain the thought of a drink or wine right now so I’ll defer until later today. The port is still on my bucket list and I hope to see some lovely photos of it today.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and those on the high seas!

• Like 26

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Right now peacekeeping is a huge challenge.  I  don't think the 500 will be broadcast on the ship today.  I don't compost and don't really have a lot of the appropriate waste but salute those who do,  I like the Cummings quote and have been to Raiatea a few times.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is  (Kids) Fruit Salad, Lasagna al Forno, and Coconut Layer Cake as served on Adventure of the Seas May 28, 2022,

dishes28.jpg

Today’s care list:

Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Wildfire near durango scots
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
From the rotation:
Ukraine
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway for Rowsby
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
cunnorl weekend wedding trip to Naples(FL)
Ancient Wander and Dhcovid free and ready for new grandchild
3 Days for Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam June 1 to 13 + 6 days Venice)
Vict0riannhelp with my IPAD problem
rafinmd (Adventure OTS to May 31),Dismomx5 and lazey1 (Koningsdam to 6/4) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Welcome home Overhead Fred
kochleffel best wishes with onward plans (or you still on the Jade)
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, everyone.   

A nice sunshiny day here in northeast Ohio.  The back is a little better.  At least the pain under my left shoulder blade is gone.  Hips still hurt, but I think I can walk that out.  If not, Aspercreme to the rescue.

Today's meal is interesting.  Instead of rolling up the enchilada, you lay them out in a dish and put the filling on top.  I did find low carb tortillas at the store yesterday, but I don't have the ingredients for the sauce.  It looks pretty easy though, especially since you aren't making individual enchiladas.

https://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/a30613447/salsa-verde-enchilada-pie-recipe/

1357046022_enchiladapie1.thumb.jpg.6e8cae720d6cb09fd4f3547af3e0c2ec.jpg

This next one calls it an enchilada casserole and I guess that is a fitting description.  It also calls for a lot of Kroger brand foods, but I'm sure you can find the same or similar enough in your local grocery.   https://www.foodiecrush.com/salsa-verde-chicken-enchilada-casserole/

2137966870_enchiladapie2.thumb.jpg.4a81821bab6dc9929dd64651d57aac7d.jpg

Here's another version of the enchilada casserole:  https://www.fivehearthome.com/stacked-chicken-enchilada-casserole-recipe-with-sour-cream-salsa-verde-green-chiles/

702698153_enchiladapie3.thumb.jpg.5507ed8fb5273b089c36dd04235f69ef.jpg

If you're really in a hurry or just not in the mood to mess with food, this four ingredient enchilada casserole is the one for you:   https://www.chewoutloud.com/4-ingredient-salsa-verde-enchilada-bake/

1493220291_enchiladapie4.thumb.jpg.f907f8003b4f35f11e33706527d967d9.jpg

This last one is created all in one dish - your cast iron skillet.  Another easy meal.  https://thedefineddish.com/salsa-verde-chicken-enchilada-bake/

1871077107_enchiladapie5.thumb.jpg.516e17fe568d7808883790dc30cc2849.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and Daily family members who are struggling and facing challenges.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  It was nice to hear from Sandi @StLouisCruisers this morning!   Wishing all my Daily family a great day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Add the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, currently being run, to today's sports activities.

- Jack 

I'm thinking @marshhawk will be well tuned in to Monaco.

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning.  Finally warming up here today.  That means planting my planter and first visit to my compost bin in 9 months.  Today's dish looks wonderful.  DF brought home a layered enchilada dish made with rotisserie chicken from Costco.  $24 yikes but we had two huge dinners out of it.  

Prayers for all on Roy's care list. So much killing in the US we aren't hearing much about Ukraine.  Prayers for the families in Uvalde and Buffalo.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine. 🙏

• Like 25

Good morning.  I like the days today.  Went to the Indianapolis500 one time and that was enough.  I'll watch it on TV.  I like the quote.  Great pictures @0106, I love Flamingo's.  @StLouisCruisersit sounds like a great day for you and your DH.Will pass on the meal but thank you @dfishfor the recipes.  Have a blessed Sunday everyone.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution, stay safe, and wear your mask.  I'll continue to wear mine.

Strawberry Tesse Martini:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Strawberry Schnapps
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Pinnacle® Peach Vodka

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 8.16.39 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be 80 degrees today so we will sit be the pool with friends. Tonight we have a band and singer coming to the clubhouse  to sing songs from Peter Paul and Mary. We have a table of 10 and will probably be the only people wearing masks.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 29

Sunrise on Adventure of the Seas today would have been 4:35AM and there was dense fog anyway.  For May 29 I have a sunset from 2015 when MS Prinsendam visited Helsinki:

dusk0529.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a cloudy central Texas.  It will be hot again today.

The UN Peacekeepers do good work, and unfortunately are needed too often.  Since we don't have a garden, we don't compost, but younger DD does.

DH will be watching the Indianapolis 500, and maybe, part of the replay of F1 from Monaco.  He has wanted to go to the Indy 500 at least once, but we never made it there.  We were in Monaco the week before the F1 race, and saw all the preparations.

The quote is interesting.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  I'll check out the recipe later.

We have been to Raiatea seveal times, but mostly in the pre-digital age.  I will look for the pictures Sandi @StLouisCruisers and I posted later.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, glad your having a great cruise.  I hope the Captain's Circle hostess is not sick, especially with Covid.

@Mr. Boston  Sorry you're having a bad reaction to the booster, but it is ma samll price for improved immunity.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm gald your back is better.

@mamaofami  Carol, enjoy the pool and the time with friends.  Have a great evening at the Peter, Paul and Mary tribute show.

It's time to make the sauce, potato salad and baked beans to go with our smoked pork shoulder tonight.  I'll most likely need to make more rub for the meat.  

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Dailyites!  It's 67 and sunny, not a cloud in my window view at all.  @rafinmd is absolutely correct, currently watching the  Pre Race Show.  For a girl (woman) I am a nerd.  To me this is an International Holiday.  The only day, that I really celebrate from sun up to way past sun down.  Monaco, INDY, and then the 600 in Charlotte.  My DH usually give up half way through the Indy race.

81f5abdfea23dc9c166e92311ab3f54b.jpg

I usually fix ribs for the day, but since I never made it to the store,  it will be shrimp masaman curry for dinner.  Steak (left over from last night)and eggs for lunch, and an apple fritter for breakfast.  However, DH walked by the computer while i was drooling over  @dfish's recipes and pictures, and thought, that they might be a good choice for dinner this week. 

I will celebrate Pink Flamingo day.  If you are in Nassau, and have never been to the zoo, I strongly recommend it,  as every day, they have the Parade of the Flamingo.  Long history, which I wont share now, but part of the parade, is that there are teams to cheer on the birds, and one member of each team, must be a flamingo.  I elected myself, as non of my team wanted to play.  I learned that I do not stand well on one foot, and did not win the competition.  LOL.

d97d167bbe3dae526c3965e57b5e4be2.png

@Sharon in AZ do you know if they are updating Phil weekly?  I went to watch last night, and there were no new shows.  I was very sad, so I ended up watching David Letterman's  -Needs no introduction, but I guess DH and I are old enough to really need the introduction.

@grapau27 Father David's sermon was spot not only for the world, bur for our group this week.  What serendipity.

Have a wonderful day, i'll be watching the tv.  LOL.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily Report!  My dad used to use compost in his garden in the early 70's and he also recycled  newspapers. He continued doing all of this until his death in late 2013.  He always had a stack of newspapers on a dining room chair waiting to be wrapped with string and taken to the curb on garbage day. 

• Like 24