End of pre departure testing?

4 minutes ago, thefog said:

Anyone hear Cruise lines  looking into getting rid of a test needed  to board?

The CLIA and the major cruise lines are petitioning the CDC to remove the pre-cruise testing, but so far the CDC has not made any response. Unfortunately for the cruise lines (at least on U.S. sailings), the ports of call are also a stumbling block as long as they retain their entry testing requirements.

• Like 1

Really awful idea. Based on all of the griping and grumbling on roll calls on the number of people who test positive and don't bring their germs onto the ship, the pre-cruise testing is doing exactly what it is supposed to. Minimize the COVID on ships. Based on the fact that most people "choose" to fly to their cruise without a mask (not us), there is always the chance of them tracking germs onto the ship.

I can attest to the fact that on our cruise last week, I got a "contact trace alert" on my phone for both our flight/airports to the cruise and for our flights/airports after the cruise.  Meaning that we were standing/sitting in close proximity to someone who subsequently tested positive and reported it. Fortunately, we tested negative after each report. We travel all the time and it is quite common to get a contact trace alert on days we fly. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Really awful idea. Based on all of the griping and grumbling on roll calls on the number of people who test positive and don't bring their germs onto the ship, the pre-cruise testing is doing exactly what it is supposed to. Minimize the COVID on ships. Based on the fact that most people "choose" to fly to their cruise without a mask (not us), there is always the chance of them tracking germs onto the ship.

I can attest to the fact that on our cruise last week, I got a "contact trace alert" on my phone for both our flight/airports to the cruise and for our flights/airports after the cruise.  Meaning that we were standing/sitting in close proximity to someone who subsequently tested positive and reported it. Fortunately, we tested negative after each report. We travel all the time and it is quite common to get a contact trace alert on days we fly. 

Don't ya just hate when people "track" in things.:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

I would imagine they will stick with the current requirements for the next few months at least or until ALL counties they cruise to drop the requirement otherwise it’s a different set of rules depending on your itinery, then the fact rules often change overnight! Imagine being on a cruise and suddenly the destination country changes the rules…………At least if everyone is tested prior to boarding its not an issue, otherwise everyone needs a supervised test on board.

Personally think they will find some ground in the middle as they have in Australia with Princess and P&O resuming operations, vaccination proof and you take a test at home within 24 hours of departure and sign a declaration you tested negative, if positive then currently you get cruise credit for a later cruise so not like you lose money but I think that’s just part of the incentive to get people back on board, will maybe phase out at some point.

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

…Personally think they will find some ground in the middle as they have in Australia with Princess and P&O resuming operations, vaccination proof and you take a test at home within 24 hours of departure and sign a declaration you tested negative, if positive then currently you get cruise credit for a later cruise so not like you lose money but I think that’s just part of the incentive to get people back on board, will maybe phase out at some point.

I wouldn’t trust a lot of people being honest, especially the ones that have flights and hotels already booked. How many people are willing to lose money on them?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I think Viking has announced they are sort of eliminating pre cruise test.  But ports may still require it

Great headline but in practice pretty worthless as the majority of countries still require the tests.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, renza said:

It will not be ending for people leaving the US anytime soon. People need to stop posting crap until it actually happens 

The fact CLIA, which RC is a part of, are seeking to end pre-cruise testing certainly isn't "crap"

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

People wearing masks regularly are still reporting having contracted COVID, total false sense of security, but you do you and what makes you feel best/safest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, renza said:

It will not be ending for people leaving the US anytime soon. People need to stop posting crap until it actually happens 

Crap? Really?

It's cruise critic. Besides, the OP posted it with a question mark so I wouldn't consider it crap.

In fact, you stating that "it will not be ending for people leaving the US anytime soon" is total conjecture on your part and might be considered crap by some.

I've been having a lot of doctor's appointments lately and none of the doctors offices I go to here are requiring masks anymore so perhaps it's signaling the beginning of the end. (pure conjecture on my part).

🙂  

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I think Viking has announced they are sort of eliminating pre cruise test.  But ports may still require it

Below are islands that do not require testing: 

Antigua

Barbados

Aruba

Barbuda

Curaco

Dominican Republic

Grenada

Jamaica

Mexico

Puerto Rico

St. Lucia

St. Barts

St Martin

Turks & Caicos

St Croix

St John

St Thomas

https://www.frommers.com/trip-ideas/beach-water-sports/when-can-we-travel-to-mexico-and-the-caribbean-again

• Thanks 1