The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 27th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Onion Day, Sun Glasses Day, and National Bingo Day

Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.--George Orwell, 1984

Meal Suggestion for today - Creamy Prosciutto Pasta
Drink of the Day - Coconut Snowball Martini
wine of the Day - Big Basin 2018 Wirz Vineyard Old Vine Carignan (Ci
Destination of the Day - Korcula, Croatia

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 10:00 - 18:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 06/28

Oosterdam

Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 06/28

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 06/28

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0627Alaska.thumb.png.f1a216015fb0dc635af4f592dc301857.png

0627Atlantic.thumb.png.2dc8b3c22985f3f706bceefc852f8a80.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I salute onions who make an appearance in most of the dishes that I cook.  Won’t be needing sunglasses here  as it’s cloudy and will rain later.  Bingo on a BHB would be a fun activity today.  Can’t wrap my head around today’s quote this early in the morning.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port but would love to see pictures of it.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Meh on the quote.

Sunglasses are a must living in Florida especially on the Golf Course.

The meal sounds good.

Onions are good especially on a salad, hamburgers and Chicago style hot dogs. Onion rings and loafs aren't bad either.

Been to Croatia but to Dubrovnik not Korcula.

My Tampa Bay Lightning fell short of winning their 3rd straight Stanley Cup, thanks to the Bolts for another great season.

Off to the golf course.

Thanks for the Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  Not a fan of Bingo and I will definitely pass on the onions but Sun Glasses are Very important (mine are automatic now).  Interesting statement from Orwell.  I have never been to Croatia.  I checked on the Zaandam itinerary and it will be several days behind me. The pasta sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Melange of Tropical Fruit, Oven Roasted Chicken with Rice, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam May 28, 2015.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and new dimentia
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Tana with persistant cough
Sam in hospital Covid complications
JazzyV leg infection but improving
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Pat with leg issues
From the rotation:
Strength and healing for Kazu
1Angelcat’s Jaguar with untreatable cancer
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing hand problems
Heartgrove brother recovering from PEG insertion

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
4 days for me (QM2 July 1 to 😎
 Mamaofami birthday visit from grandson
1Angelcat’s cat on the job
A home for Monty
StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) ,  Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily.

A lot cooler here today, but sunny so I need sunglasses. 🙂  I like onions.  Haven't played bingo in years.

Thought provoking quote, I don't think I agree with it.

The meal sounds good.

I'll pass on the drink.  I hope the wine is good.

We were supposed to be in Korcula in 2020, but unfortunately, that cruise was cancelled.  Maybe someday we'll try again.  Thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good afternoon.

Cloudy and 60°F here today in North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

My Ray ban sunglasses are great when it is sunny.

My late mam and dad loved going to the bingo hall a few nights a week.

A small amount of onions helps the flavour of certain foods.

I think we all want to be loved and hopefully understood.

Pasta sounds good.

Not sure about the drink.

Croatia is a lovely destination.

I wish everyone on the care list a speedy recovery.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 26

Good morning from a very humid and soon to be rainy NY.  Sunglasses will not be needed but I love my eyeglasses that change automatically in response to sunlight. I pretty much use onions in everything I cook and love them.

I worked in a Nursing Home as a PT and very quickly learned that Bingo was a preferred activity and was taken very seriously.I made sure my patients were treated prior to the scheduled  Bingo time or suffered the consequences.

We have not been to the port but would love to see pictures. Yesterday’s photos were so lovely, thanks to  @Quartzsite Cruiser  and. @StLouisCruisers.

Today  includes visits to 2 doctors for DH. Walking is much improved  and the swelling at the ankle is less. It is just hard to put on real shoes!

The recipe sounds interesting. So far our dinner plans include several leftovers.

Terry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. Trust you had a great weekend and a fantastic coming week.

Up early for no good reason. I have misplaced the keys to my neighbors house while I’m tending their cats. I have looked for those darn keys for at least an hour. Fortunately, I also have the code for their garage door opener. Their front door is locked so somewhere between their house and mine there are keys I cannot find! Frustrating or is it senility?😡

Laundry day will be put off a couple of days as DW will be home tomorrow. Then we’ll start packing for Oregon and cooler weather. So far no flight changes!🤞

Thanks for the Fleet Report and other submissions.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another lovely morning here. All the dogs at my end of the street were out for their morning walk at the same time. Quite the parade.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites! Off to the gym early, then if this weather holds, Bindi will get a nice long walk in. 

3E5FC8ED-F3E1-480D-9575-F2B46A371947.jpeg.f0f805262112890ae870a9d530f707ac.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Big Basin 2018 Wirz Vineyard Old Vine Carignan

This wine is a bit elusive, and I am not familiar with this grape variety as a stand alone wine. I suspect it has been in one or two red blends I have enjoyed. It has a superb rating from one critic and I found one online distributor offering it for $41.00. I would definitely love to taste this one. 

Winemaker notes

The Wirz Vineyard is located in the Cienega Valley - part of the San Andreas Rift zone. This high valley is located at about 1,000 ft elevation on the East side of the Gabilan Mountains. The valley is filled with alluvial deposits of granite and limestone from the mountains. This high valley traps the cold mountain air at night, so large diurnal swings in temperature are the norm. We have been working with the beautiful old vine vineyard for years and the Carignane has been an important component of our Homestead. Typically, we had been splitting the Carignane with another winery, but I had told Pat Wirz that we would be interested in getting all of it should it become available. Sure enough, in 2017 he offered all of the Carignane to us and hence, we were able to make enough to make both a single vineyard bottling, and have a substantial portion be whole cluster pressed for our rosé. We have also made a few vintages of the Wirz Riesling as well and have been very impressed with the quality of fruit from this vineyard.

Vintage Notes: This is our second vintage making a 100% Wirz Vineyard Old Vine Carignan. These 90+ year old vines are growing in the granitic and limestone soils of the Cienega Valley. This valley is located on the East side of the Gabilan Mountains at about 1000 ft elevation. With this vintage, we feel we really nailed the pick date with the grapes having awesome color and physiological ripeness, but at a low sugar level (alcohol is only 13.3). It is really a stylistic decision as the 2017 which was picked significantly riper is also a beautiful and balanced wine.

Wine Notes: One big difference between vintages is in the aromatics with the 2018 really singing with perfumed dark fruit, crushed rocks and crushed flowers with a hint of sweetness like Jasmine. On the palate, the tannins are superfine (as is often the case with old vines) and the fruit is exuberant and expressive. There is a cornucopia of wild berry fruit in this wine. Sometimes Carignan can be awkward, but somehow we avoided that fate and this wine is silky, pretty and delicious. We used 87% whole clusters, so pretty darn near 100%, and it worked beautifully in this wine. I sincerely hope we can nail it this beautifully in follow on vintages as this wine has me hooked on Wirz Carignan. Don’t miss this beautiful gem of a wine!

Matt Kettman, Wine Enthusiast. 95 Points & Editor’s Choice

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Onion Day, Sun Glasses Day, and National Bingo Day

Good morning! Love all three days: As a child I didn’t like raw onions, but now they are a MUST on burgers and hot dogs. 😋 Since my cataract surgery, I’m finally able to have Transitions glasses. 👏 I’m addicted to bingo almost (or more?) than I’m addicted to cruising. 😃

Thanks for the Fleet/Daily Report @richwmn, and @rafinmd for our Cares and Celebrations/Shoutout lists. Prayers 🙏 and hugs to those that need them, and high-fives and yippees 👏 to those celebrating. 

Busy week ahead as I work and try to pack for my trip. I think I’ve bought everything from Amazon that I can think of, now I hope it all fits. 😛

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Coconut snowball martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
2 parts Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/4 part DeKuyper® Blue Curacao Liqueur
2 parts Cream of Coconut
Honey
Shredded Coconut

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with honey and shredded coconut around the rim.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 7.49.54 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from Halifax, thanks for the daily fleet report.   It was a very foggy night and the ships horn kept sounding until we approached the dock.  Not sure what's for dinner but assume it will be from the lido.

I let the concierge know that I will be complaining post cruise about the 5* internet change.

I hope everyone has a good day today. 

20220627_083800.thumb.jpg.ed786deb2e8eef84cc0b2054d87f4a3e.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Thunderstorms rolled in late last nite and gave us a much needed soaking.  Still could use more rain, rains all around us but not here.

Love onions and use them frequently. I was the  volunteer bingo caller at a local recreation center for 7 years. I gave it up a few months ago. People are serious about bingo!  They want me to continue but it is someone elses turn. LOL

Have not been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

Not much on the agenda today. After playing golf Sat and Sun I think I should rest.   Water aerobics this AM and thats about it.

My Kindle finally died. I have had it for a long time and use it almost every day. I do enjoy reading.  I ordered a new one, expected today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. Wishing everyone cool breezes today. Goodness it's been hot here.

So adding to the band of armadillos and the lone stalker coyote, there are kittens living in the front yard storm drain. Our neighbor saw them again last night and they run when you try to approach and too far into the drain to reach. We have several feral and apparently fertile cats roaming the neighborhood. 

We have a few more days of pet sitting until I take out our suitcase and start packing for Maui. I'm sad I'll miss Denise by a week. Maybe next time..

I like the sound of the Pasta dish and look forward to Debbie's recipes.

Prayers for Buddy, Curt, Tana, Sam and all on our prayer list.

Blessings, peace, prayers and cheers.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.

I slept in a bit today.  I think that is becoming a pattern!   I have a 9:00 am phone appointment with the endocrinologist.  We are still trying to figure out what is causing my high calcium levels.  I'm hoping it is something that doesn't require surgery.  

Today's meal sounds really good, just too many carbs.  I haven't had time to check out the alternative pastas and it would depend on the calorie count.  Pasta itself is pretty high and I'm sticking with the lower calorie vegetables and lean protein.  Not that It is doing a lot of good.

There are many variations that can be found for this dish.  This first one uses an Alfredo sauce and spinach.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-prosciutto-pasta/

2055032668_creamyprosciuttopasta1.jpg.eb34e72bc9892d342d2e58bc2a4cb362.jpg

The next recipe calls for making your own cream sauce, but it quite easy.   Do make sure you are grating your own parmesan and not using the stuff that comes in the jar.  https://www.theseasonedmom.com/parmesan-cream-sauce/

1678033026_creamyprosciuttopasta2.thumb.jpg.8b1e4a5b964a7f0abef2c472fdf59250.jpg

This next one showcases different mushroom varieties along with the prosciutto.   Mmmmm  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pasta-with-mushrooms-and-prosciutto

1856335483_creamyprosciuttopasta3.jpg.2fad42f04b8a2fc8e35b868983f0de37.jpg

And this one uses fresh tomato and frozen peas.   https://www.saltandlavender.com/prosciutto-pasta/

358359271_creamyprosciuttopasta4.thumb.jpg.0047428bb6c2f28988c7eff9b6a9ef41.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially the people of Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and Daily family members struggling with challenges.  Cheers for those who are celebrating, especially if it is on a BHB.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9