Panama Canal - Fort Lauderdale to San Diego

asebastian

Hi CC gurus, we're looking to book this cruise for April 2023. TA has asked for a cabin preference (balcony), just wanting to know should we book the Port side or Starboard side of the ship? This will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks in anticipation.

36 minutes ago, asebastian said:

Hi CC gurus, we're looking to book this cruise for April 2023. TA has asked for a cabin preference (balcony), just wanting to know should we book the Port side or Starboard side of the ship? This will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thanks in anticipation.

We did FLL to SAN DIEGO AND WERE ON THE STARBOARD SIDE.

Enjoy!! Went through the new locks and was fun! Our NS was perfect to be outside. Was a perfect day for us. Was warm and it also rained alittle. 
Have fun!! We did a 15 day cruise.

Denise🙂

• Like 1

You really need to get out and see the transit from many different locations.  Be sure to go on the Promenade deck while the ship is lowering or rising.  Go out on the front deck (which is usually not open but has always been when I have done a transit) when you are entering a lock (especially the first one).  

• Like 3

We made a very early trip to the Crow’s Nest and made the entry at this vantage point.  Made a trip to the Lido for coffee and pastries.  Enjoyed the presentation made by a canal expert.  We were on the Rotterdam Lanai category; so spent the rest of the traverse on this deck.  Wonderful memories. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, asebastian said:

Thanks in anticipation.

Aft.  Especially good for going through the Canal.

• Like 1

I booked the same cruise for January so my TA asked another client who has done that same trip several times and starboard was their favorite side. However, the others have mentioned being out and about on the ship, which makes sense - you won’t necessarily watch the whole transit from your room unless you have a coveted aft cabin. ☺️

it makes no difference.  One need to be out and about and get a complete view of what can be seen on both sides of the ship.  

One exception:  it is quite an experience to be in one's stateroom as the ship either rises or falls when it is in a lock.  The lower the deck, the more pronounced the view is.  One does not get that perspective if one only remains on the upper decks.  

• Like 2

Either port or starboard staterooms are better than the aft staterooms. 

Avoid the aft staterooms so the aft aficionados can have them along with included private bathroom, minibar a few feet away, no waiting lines for food, overhead shade, small table for nachos, camera gear poised at the railing for use, no fear of tripods being kicked over, and nobody blocking amazing photos.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/panama-canal-gatun-locks-westbound/PB260118-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/panama-canal-gatun-locks-westbound/pc050192-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/panama-canal-gatun-locks-eastbound/PB260049-2.jpg

• Haha 1

Ha, ha.....good try @Crew News!!!  The one thing I consider on my Panama Canal cruises is during the transit it doesn't matter which side your cabin is on because like many people recommend, I get out and about to a bunch of places on the ship to see everything from different perspectives.  I do make the choice to be on the side facing land during the trip up the west coast of Central America and USA so there is a view of land when you are close enough.  In this case for the OP it would be starboard.  My cruise in October I booked on port side as we will be going south along the coast from Vancouver to the Panama Canal.  It's not a huge deal to me either way though!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

Agree with Crew News (as usual)!  Best situation is if you can swing an aft-wrap.  We had one on the Zuiderdam and it made going through the canal extra special.  We started off in the bow (along with MANY others) as we approached the first lock, then retired to our cabin for the rest of the partial transit.  Got to see the operations up close, and at times were just a few feet from the "mules".

• Like 1

The best place to be is outside.  Going through the locks is slow so you will have plenty of time to move around the entire ship.  I found the best place ABOVE the aft pool on each side, and aft either at the pool or on the Promenade.  There will be plenty of chairs out on the Promenade and Pool deck although most people are meandering around getting their photos.  People are going to congregate up in the Crows Nest, but I never found those windows clear enough for pictures and it is pretty packed up there.  I guess for people that want to drink coffee and have a comfortable sit, it is a good place, but not the best for viewing the locks.  The very front of ship will probably be open but it wasn't my favorite area trying to see over the side of the ship.  It's all fun and interesting wherever you go, but not really required to get up early and secure a spot, unless you want to be in the Crows Nest.  

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

@Crew NewsThank you for saving an aft cabin for us.🤣

A view from the bow of the Zuiderdam.22B5A83B-B3B2-4E82-AD48-A189578940A9.thumb.jpeg.104879795ed7c1cd40730451716f05c1.jpegA view from our aft balcony.B0A50B03-9F49-45F2-A856-293837D2ED68.thumb.jpeg.6f2ac7b91af688212eb5cccfd379786b.jpegLoved watching these sailboats raft through the new canal as we roamed the deck.B8567A9A-C664-4E99-8D3E-D981D336C7CD.thumb.jpeg.ed54a0403d87509f805403461640a293.jpeg

Sorry, but those sailboats are in the parallel locks, not the new locks.  The new locks are quite different, and you won’t find any little boats there.  EM

I believe the Vista/Signature ships have aft ballards on the promenade deck and signs that they are used in the Panama Canal.  Are they actually used and is the aft promenade deck closed in the locks?

Roy

10 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sorry, but those sailboats are in the parallel locks, not the new locks.  The new locks are quite different, and you won’t find any little boats there.

Thank you,  you are correct.  It was the parallel canal, not the new locks.  I need to slow down and reread before posting.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:14 PM, asebastian said:

Thanks in anticipation.

You want PORT. It is non-intuitive -- the canal does not go east to west. Look at it on a map. We were on from FLL to SAN in a Starboard balcony and the sun forced us off the balcony and literally in for a nap! We did see the failed French canal AND the fellow in the rowboat from that side. 

Many will say "You should move around the ship." But it you don't want to do that, maybe you want to avoid crowds or enjoy the balcony you have paid for -- make it PORT from Atlantic to Pacific.

Starboard gives you -- somewhat -- more shade in the canal. Note that sailing north from the canal, you will have evening sun on the port side. Also, on the Pacific leg, starboard gives a glimpse of the continent rather than the mere Pacific Ocean. Sailing into San Diego, I prefer the port view of Point Loma rather than Coronado Island, but I have family at Rosecrans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

but not really required to get up early and secure a spot, unless you want to be in the Crows Nest.  

At the start of the transit, there is a mad crush of people lining the rails in the most forward open decks that are available.  Then, after the heat/humidity/and the "gee, we have already seen what we are seeing" thoughts take hold, those spots are vacated; leaving room without a crush of humanity around you.  The same holds true for the Crow's Nest.  Interest wanes after awhile for many.  

We did this cruise in 2020 on the Oosterdam in cabin 5172, portside aft. We chose the location so we would be behind the lifeboats and have a clear view down past the deck 4 balconies. We enjoyed the entry to the Gatun locks from the front balcony on deck 5. Do experience at least one of the lifts from the promenade deck, and spend some time on the bow and the Sea View deck aft. The port side offered us excellent views of the sunsets as we sailed north and of the spouting whales as we sailed out from Puerto Vallarta, but the next day the best views of sea life were on the starboard side as we sailed past Cabo. And thanks to the good folks on CC we knew not to miss out on the Panama rolls.

Whatever your choice we hope you enjoy your cruise!

Lori & George