Kummelweck sandwich

6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've only had them on the Oasis and Allure - and it's been a few years. Having said that, it was my GO TO lunch option - having one every day (and they were excellent).

i-RpgpKcX-X2.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-X2.jpg

I can only hope the next time I have the chance to try one, that I don't strike out like some of you have...

Tom

So much fat on those! Not a fan. 

33 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

BTW - we'll be on the Independence next month. Looking forward to our return (trying the UDP this go around).

Tom

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Haven’t done any specialty or a la carte dining yet but going to Giovanni’s tomorrow night & likely Playmakers on Tuesday for burgers & the cookie.

The included food has been the usual… some good, some bad. Still a big fan of the included food on Cococay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Haven’t done any specialty or a la carte dining yet but going to Giovanni’s tomorrow night & likely Playmakers on Tuesday for burgers & the cookie.

The included food has been the usual… some good, some bad. Still a big fan of the included food on Cococay.

Have a funnel cake for me 😃  I have couple more weeks before I'll be there.

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tell me more - never been off the ship there.

Tom

😳😳😳

Two main places to eat incuded food, the snack shacks & the grills (Chill Grill & Skippers Grill).

Snack shack… crispy chicken sandwiches, mozz sticks, amazing funnel cake. One menu hack is to put mozz sticks & marinara on top of the chicken for a chicken parm sandwich.

Grills… taco bar with freshly made flour tortillas, beef, chicken, pork, & all the usual fixins including guac, salsa, etc. It’s not gourmet obviously but it’s also not Taco Bell. They also have Cuban sandwiches, fake cheesesteaks (I’m from Philly, maybe their good, I wouldn’t know, lol), salad, burgers, & hot dogs.

Gotta run as it’s turnaround day for our B2B but that’s the gist of it. My favs are the chicken, funnel cake, & taco bar. Good brownies in multiple locations too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

😳😳😳

Two main places to eat incuded food, the snack shacks & the grills (Chill Grill & Skippers Grill).

Snack shack… crispy chicken sandwiches, mozz sticks, amazing funnel cake. One menu hack is to put mozz sticks & marinara on top of the chicken for a chicken parm sandwich.

Grills… taco bar with freshly made flour tortillas, beef, chicken, pork, & all the usual fixins including guac, salsa, etc. It’s not gourmet obviously but it’s also not Taco Bell. They also have Cuban sandwiches, fake cheesesteaks (I’m from Philly, maybe their good, I wouldn’t know, lol), salad, burgers, & hot dogs.

Gotta run as it’s turnaround day for our B2B but that’s the gist of it. My favs are the chicken, funnel cake, & taco bar. Good brownies in multiple locations too.

Super - thanks.

Continue the fun these next 4 days !!

Tom

28 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Super - thanks.

Continue the fun these next 4 days !!

Tom

Thanks. Waiting to meet in Star Lounge at 8:45 for turnaround.

Just used the “extra” Diamond drinks on disembarkation morning for some bottled water for next week & iced coffee at Cafe Promenade mostly b/c I feel obligated to get free stuff, lol. Already had plenty of DL cappuccino. 🙈 Might be a little jittery this morning.

• Like 1

I'm also a Buffalo native.  The Royal sandwiches are not even close to the original...typically one thick slab of chewy beef on a plain roll.  Still, they're usually my boarding day lunch on a ship with a Park Cafe.  Tradition. 

Here's what a real beef on weck looks like with thin sliced rare roast beef piled high, a true kummelweck bun dipped in au jus, and horseradish (courtesy of the Glen Park Tavern in Williamsville, a Buffalo suburb).  Delicious.

IMG_7440.thumb.jpg.15097fdfa85bfe69602fa060a03150d9.jpg

IMG_7441.thumb.jpg.61a7622c1463e5dfcd38659d51d8e71e.jpg

• Like 4

I am not a fan of this Royal sandwich, as I've never had a good one.  I am now determined to find a good version on a Royal ship. Next time one of the chefs come up to me to see if everything is going well, I'm gong to ask to get a quality Kummelweck sandwich so that I can fairly judge.

I'm confident this will be their top priority for that day.😀

Most of the time the guy cutting the beef worked in the engine room and was just transferred to the dining operation that morning. They have no idea how to cut the meat. They cut a thick wad of meat.

Sometimes its good, you need to ask to slice it thin.

18 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

If it's a choice between eating a good sandwich in Buffalo or a mediocre sandwich on a cruise ship, I know which one I would choose.

My wife and I grew up in Buffalo. Moved to Florida in 72. Now I agree, the best is available in Buffalo. Only one major problem. No cruise ship that I know of docks in Buffalo on lake Erie.😊

On the Harmony, is there a charge for the sandwich at the Park Café?

The beauty of it is that it is a simple sandwich, bread and meat.  If the basic ingredients are good, the sandwich should be good.

(Un)related information.  On our last Royal cruise, we found the dining to be considerably below past sailings.  However, I did not go hungry.  The breads and rolls were very good and my go to lunch was a sandwich made with one of the breads and the carved meat of the day.

• Like 1

I have gotten this roast beef sandwich on every Oasis class ship except Harmony and Wonder and as subjective as food is, I can honestly say.....just meh!  I wouldn't waste another lunch on one.  They were all really grisly, not even good roast beef.  Go up to windjammer, find the right roll, go to the carving station and get really good beef and au jus and make your own!

• Like 5