Walkie Talkies

m8zenblue

I have seen this posted somewhere previously.

Are walkie talkies acceptable ?

Seems like a very good form of communication device.

But, I see in the prohibited items walkie talkies are not contraband.

I think I read that some passengers object to people using walkie talkies.

The Celebrity app has a messaging  feature.  Initially it did not have a alert so the receiver of the would not be aware of a message unless they looked at the phone.

Posts from some cruising recently say that has changed and there is a alert.

And walkie-talkie dont work well between steel decks. Yes, some passengers are bothered by the users yelling into them trying to get responses. It can be disturbing….and not really needed with the Celebrity App that now informs you with a pop up that someone has texted you. 

A Much better and reliable communications method.

den

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

They are good for groups on shore, however make sure they are allowed in the country you are visiting. They can be deemed illegal for various reasons

All I can think of is...Book em Dano

• Haha 1

US Walkie Talkie use are illegal is UK and Europe, and Euro Walkie Talkies use are illegal in the US. They will work, and from a website (So it Has to be true!), most countries dont really care. So unless its found during some luggage check…….

They did say Switzerland is big on not allowing non-EU ones, and the Middle East is Very restrictive

Presonally, I‘m on vacation and its good to set times and places to meet when with groups, but I always insure that they are Not to wait for me. And when you do meet up, there’s always someone(s) wandering in late…..and theoretically texting, or one of these things would help, but usually not. Just my experience. 

And of course family groups are always a good group to spread walkie talkie through…..the kids love to use them endlessly and everyone around them just love it too.

Den

On one of our cruises, there were 3 groups each using them.  All 3 were on the same channel.  Very entertaining as people were communicating to others not is their group.  But the loud voices trying to overcome the poor reception on board due to the steel construction.

• Like 1

Just---why?

Why would you bring something bulky that may not work when you can simply use the app on your phone?

Please consider your fellow passengers. We are not interested in listening to your shouted conversations.

A walkie talkie is about 5 times more annoying than people that have loud conversations with their phone on speaker.

• Like 5

Just now, broker1217 said:

Just---why?

Why would you bring something bulky that may not work when you can simply use the app on your phone?

Please consider your fellow passengers. We are not interested in listening to your shouted conversations.

A walkie talkie is about 5 times more annoying than people that have loud conversations with their phone on speaker.

Roger that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Just---why?

10-4...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Just---why?

“Roger, Over and Out”…..only said in movies.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Just---why?

I so agree -- we only experienced other passengers using walkie talkies once, and once was enough.  So annoying.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jalves said:

...and once again we have taken a simple question and turned it into a referenda on how people should cruise.  

You mean like telling someone that walkie talkies just are a really bad idea and that people do object to them? Because that's what the OP asked? And how dare they suggest alternatives? Well, okay then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jalves said:

...and once again we have taken a simple question and turned it into a referenda on how people should cruise.  

No, all the posts are responding to what the OP asked about using Walkie Talkies on a ship. Not one post was about any other, and it wasn’t a ‘simple question’ that had a Yes/No response. The OP didn’t ask “Can I”, they asked “Is it acceptable”. The OP got the responses most anyone would expect. 

Den

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jalves said:

I try not to irritate people by doing things WAY out of the norm.