The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 9th, 2022

richwmn

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Carolyn, you're right about the temperature being a cooling off period for us.  Strange how that temp is a heatwave up your way.🥵

A few weeks ago it wouldn't have felt like a heat wave, but lately it's been cooling off.  But this weekend it will get up to 77 today and 87 tomorrow!  Then back down again, as low as into the high 60's.  So this won't last long.  Our Septembers can be like that. 

Your comment about the teddy bear going to the hospital with you for your tonsils surgery, immediately made me think of when I had my tonsils out.  Mine were getting infected a lot but my twin's weren't.  Still they decided to just remove hers as well!  So I took my twin to the hospital with me!  Odd how back in '50's they would do an unnecessary surgery like that to someone, just "in case" she had tonsil problems in the future.🤪

I would have rather had a twin go with me 😉  I remember being so scared....My Mom told me later that she stood outside my hospital room that night, I think she said she was making little noises so I would know she was there -- but I have no memory of that, just of being scared. I do remember the milkshakes I got afterwards though. 🙂   I think my older sister's tonsils were taken out "just in case" too.  I had had problems like you had.

Cute photo of your DGS with the bears.  I bet it took him a lot less time to gather them all together than it did for you to put them all back!🧸

You are right about that!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

I was sent this chart showing the sequence of events for the mourning of Queen Elizabeth II. The picture used of HRH is certainly not the most flattering but the chart is a helpful reference.

IMG_2028.jpg.5b5bb1aae9b5fce2d5c82875d40c69e8.jpg

I'm amazed that King Charles III is required to travel to parts of the UK during this period of mourning. Perhaps that's part of his transition from 'son' to 'king'?

@grapau27 , can you explain?

-Melisa

This is Royal Protocol.

Charles became King as soon as his mam our Queen died.

It is hard on Charles but the Royal family especially the heir to the throne have Protocol ingrained in them from a young age.

Prince William is now Charles heir and will know exactly what is involved and expected of him.

For the past year Charles has undertaken a lot of the Queen's duties because of her ailing health.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

I couldn’t get anything to upload earlier so am trying again. 

This chipmunk was staring Craig down, just hilarious, note his cheeks full of bird seed. 

9B73E2EA-729B-4DE9-A1C5-C62B0CEED710.thumb.jpeg.91ba849b0e2092264d1b0598f84ca37a.jpeg

1355EDEC-3BF7-4438-A7CF-0F2F7EC49BCE.thumb.jpeg.56903ec247be82dc327ef014c8bc6d55.jpeg

And the birds have been very active. 
8F8669E0-5CF5-4186-ACD3-A47D37386F90.thumb.jpeg.3852aadea2b7c62460b30aabac617c62.jpeg

I can’t get the last one to load so I’ll stop with the pictures for now. 

Thank you for posting the chart for the period of mourning @HAL Sailer Melisa. Since I can’t watch TV right now it’s very helpful to have. 

@bennybear I loved the clip about the Queen. 

Thank you @kochleffel for the clip of The Queen and Paddington Bear. Very cute and touching at the same time. 

Oh Graham @grapau27!  Those shrimp look amazing!  Enjoy your time. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  There's not much going on today, but I did get two things crossed off the to-do list.  I just still haven't gotten to the one that I've been putting off for a few months.  Maybe tomorrow, but then, maybe not.  🤣

5 hours ago, superoma said:

Happy anniversary, @marshhawk and have a good cruise!

sitting at McDonald’s this morning having breakfast and killing time until I can pick up dh from his cataract surgery. It is a day surgery at an eye clinic but way across town from where we live so no point going home.

sad day across the commonwealth. Queen Elizabeth was the only queen most of us have known. She was queen when we immigrated to Canada. It will be strange to sing god save the king.

gorgeous fall day here in SW Ontario. Praying for safety for all in fire or flood danger. 

Eva, I hope your DH's cataract surgery was successful and by now, he is safely home.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! @marshhawk happy anniversary! 

Feeling  strangely bereft,   Her majesty  the queen was the only monarch in my life,  truly I think she is the end of an era.   Found a lovely little clip. 

Crete is one of our favourite places, we’ve spent about two months  on this lovely island. Aghios Nikolas is a lovely spot on a small lake near where we’ve stayed twice.  Highly recommend! 

368451DD-F0F8-4463-A5A4-479A99C1109C.jpeg

13814A77-C850-4CC7-BCB2-3B3BCB671B88.jpeg

Thank  you for the pictures of today's port.  That is a cute story about the Queen and the tourists.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy and everyone who posts on the Daily News!  Happy Anniversary and bon voyage to @marshhawk. We go for our tests today.  I'm not too worried (Famous last words?).  I'm also doing a lot of laundry and cleaning today, so it won't be too messy when we get back.  I think I must do about 40 sudokus a day, also we do the cryptic crossword as a family every day.  No teddy bears here, I'm afraid, I'm not sure why, maybe because we've always lived in tropical places and you don't want to be cuddling something furry!  I love sardines!  Tapas in Spain always seem to have some floating around, fried, grilled, salted....    We visited Agios Nikolaos on the Prinsendam in 2011 with DD.  The ship was riddled with noro and we all got it.  Pat and I were released from isolation that day, but were tired, so we just wandered (we had had a long ship's tour booked but they let us off the hook )  and DD was still confined to her room.  It's a pretty town.   We went into a small museum and looked at pots...

P1020061.thumb.JPG.62f7fb3604005f7b6856787ef4d36e95.JPG

CIMG3098.thumb.JPG.f021260b985a64f4911d475dcb38c37d.JPG

P1020044.thumb.JPG.fa52a989f1d406ca48ad7217e73258de.JPG  

P1020049.thumb.JPG.792b9c144e6fd361e8e45130d4bb0fc2.JPG

CIMG3099.thumb.JPG.cdd4deadeb5b87c30ffcdc5a0cd7ef33.JPG

P1020051.thumb.JPG.9a4a02a33bf7d618784549ecdb44227f.JPG

P1020060.thumb.JPG.cddf7a4569600096f763ca9efeb6ebde.JPG

Sardines!

IMG_3866.thumb.JPG.ca323668a5bdc8f92874cac855d42fdb.JPG

IMG_3869.thumb.JPG.cf4b6f96ee5b656ded2a8078ff3577d3.JPG

IMG_3908.thumb.JPG.cf16a757374867b26ac7a6a7d0138770.JPG

Ann, hope both tests are negative, but that should not be a problem.  Thanks for the pictures of  Agios Nikolaos.  It looks like a place I'd like to wander around.

Lenda

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like Teddy bears, like some wonderful weirdos, and I've tried Sudoku (it's hard!), but prefer crossword puzzles. Funny quote.

I'll pass on the meal (fish/sardines), pass on the drink and yes to the wine (but it's above my budget).

I haven't been to Agios Nikolaos.

It's in the 70's now after 50's this AM, and sunny, after a very foggy start. I had a good first night's sleep on the new bed, although that may have been helped by the ibuprofen. I have bursitis in my hips and a lot of back muscle pain; I infrequently take anything but after all the recent furniture moving I decided to last night. I have been out doing all the lawn edging. That took about 2-1/2 hours. Now I'm in resting and drinking fluids. I'd like to mow later. The new glasses aren't cutting it for distance. Things are blurry. I'll go back next week to complain.

Moving speech by King Charles III. I was out in the yard, but found it online when I came in.

@marshhawk Happy Anniversary! Enjoy the upcoming cruise.

@kazu Hoping everything goes well this weekend for Jose's celebration of life.

@superoma Prayers that DH's cataract surgery went well.

@jodi58 Kind of you to foster a dog. 

@ottahand7 Safe travels home.

@bennybear I've seen that funny clip about the Queen; it's delightful. Thanks for the photos.

@Vict0riann Thanks for the lovely photos of Agios Nikolaos.

@grapau27 Thanks for sharing your meals aboard ship.

@Sharon in AZ We're usually overrun by squirrels, but they've been scarce this year. Reportedly there are hawks around, so I don't know if they ran off or were meals for the hawks.

Prayers for the Care List and a Salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I thought you might enjoy our family's Teddy Bear story:

When our mother died at age 97 in 2011, my brother and I found a letter among her things written in 1930 by our father when they were first dating at ages 16 and 20. Dad's letter described the trip he was on taking his only sister and her two year old daughter, Patty, to meet his niece's extended paternal family. 

In the letter, dad mentioned that Patty's father's family had given her a Teddy Bear with glass eyes that she had immediately named Enid. He went on to tell how Patty wouldn't go anywhere without Enid. And, he also wrote of his concern that Patty would pull out and swallow Enid's straight-pinned glass eyes.

Patty is the eldest cousin in our generation and I am the youngest with a twenty-five year age gap. Patty was 83 when we found dad's letter. My brother and I agreed our cousin should have it as the letter was more about Patty's life than ours.

When we took it to her and read it in front of her grown children, Patty exclaimed "Enid. Oh, Enid. I never knew that." And one of her daughters added, "Mother still has Enid. We all played with Enid as kids. But Enid's eyes were always kept in the china cabinet because she was sure we'd pull them out and swallow them!"

It turned out that Patty had Enid over all those years (and still does at age 94) but until that letter surfaced she had no idea how Enid had come into her life.  My brother and I are so glad our father had written about Enid and that our mother had saved dad's letter for 81 years!

Enid is now 92. And, she is certain to pass down among Patty's family with her  glass eyes likely kept safely away from little fingers...and her heritage known.

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Ann, hope both tests are negative, but that should not be a problem.  Thanks for the pictures of  Agios Nikolaos.  It looks like a place I'd like to wander around.

Lenda

Thanks, Lenda, but you know nothing ever goes smoothly during Covid!  Both of us tested negative, but when the emailed certificates arrived, they were both in Pat's name.  Of course, the place was closed, and Pat spent some time  frantically trying to get in touch with someone who can send mine.  Finally, a lady in Vancouver said she would do it.  Still waiting.....

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Thanks all, dh’s cataract surgery went well. He took it easy today and will find out what he is allowed to do at the follow up appointment tomorrow morning. Things are still foggy fir him but some of that is from the dilated pupils. They haven’t fully contracted again and he is wearing his sunglasses even inside.

have a good evening everyone!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

After a half hour of trepidation, the lady in Vancouver came through for us, and I have my certificate of a negative test.  I'm ready to go, Pat won't have the room all to himself!

I know you are relieved.  I remember for our last cruise, they told us we could print out test results from the web portal.  When we did, they did not have our names on them.  We had to go back to Parker to pick up the reports.  I guess Murphy's Law is still at work.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Thanks all, dh’s cataract surgery went well. He took it easy today and will find out what he is allowed to do at the follow up appointment tomorrow morning. Things are still foggy fir him but some of that is from the dilated pupils. They haven’t fully contracted again and he is wearing his sunglasses even inside.

So glad to hear the surgery went well. 

• Like 9

Good evening all,

Today was another busy day.  The insurance adjuster was here and spent a good amount of time going through every inch of the house to determine the extent of the damage caused by the water.

I will tell you. If you have not experienced this, you have no idea how devastating flooding is in one’s home.  The amount of repair that it entails is overwhelming.

That being said, today was interesting.

This morning when i walked into my house, with all the fans going, I was almost killed.  The plastic covering for the flourescent lights decided to detach and take a nosedive right in front of me.  if I were one step closer to it, i would have had a big gash in my head and probably not writing this message.  It came down in many pieces and just missed me.

On another note:

The hotel where we are staying is less than acceptable.  I spent a good part of the day trying to find an alternate place to stay.  Finally i thought about someone who lives in my subdivision who has a number of condos that she and her husband rent out.  I called her and the insurance agent.  She agreed to the price and, voila, we have a condo on the beach for the next month and a half.  We are close enough to home and can see what is going on and still have a nice place to stay in the meantime.

It is a bit of a distance from our home and rather than a 5 minute drive it will probably take 40 minutes, but so will Savannah.  But this place is gorgeous and it will work for the time we need to be away from home.

So tomorrow we will move again.  I feel like a vagabond.  Hopefully the next move will be back to our repaired home looking like new.

i will report back when we are settled.

Take care everyone and hope you all had a good day.

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening all,

Today was another busy day.  The insurance adjuster was here and spent a good amount of time going through every inch of the house to determine the extent of the damage caused by the water.

I will tell you. If you have not experienced this, you have no idea how devastating flooding is in one’s home.  The amount of repair that it entails is overwhelming.

That being said, today was interesting.

This morning when i walked into my house, with all the fans going, I was almost killed.  The plastic covering for the flourescent lights decided to detach and take a nosedive right in front of me.  if I were one step closer to it, i would have had a big gash in my head and probably not writing this message.  It came down in many pieces and just missed me.

On another note:

The hotel where we are staying is less than acceptable.  I spent a good part of the day trying to find an alternate place to stay.  Finally i thought about someone who lives in my subdivision who has a number of condos that she and her husband rent out.  I called her and the insurance agent.  She agreed to the price and, voila, we have a condo on the beach for the next month and a half.  We are close enough to home and can see what is going on and still have a nice place to stay in the meantime.

It is a bit of a distance from our home and rather than a 5 minute drive it will probably take 40 minutes, but so will Savannah.  But this place is gorgeous and it will work for the time we need to be away from home.

So tomorrow we will move again.  I feel like a vagabond.  Hopefully the next move will be back to our repaired home looking like new.

i will report back when we are settled.

Take care everyone and hope you all had a good day.

Terri

Terri, the condo sounds like a much better solution than a hotel.  Glad the insurance adjustor made a through inspection of your house.  I'm also happy the light cover missed you.

Lenda

• Like 5

Chuck and I thank you all for all the kind wishes on our anniversary and our bon voyage adventure.

While I am looking forward to trying a cruise again, I will miss you all for two weeks!  OMG!  How will I survive?

I am packed, got my new purse stuffed with paperwork and passports, got all the clothes in the suitcase, the shoe bag has to be packed next, and then tomorrow pack up my meds, and I'm ready to go.  But I am still working tomorrow.  Sleep well Angels, and Thanks.

thank-you-angels-for-wrapping-us-all-in-your-loving-17317571.png

• Like 14

9 hours ago, superoma said:

Pleased to hear his cataract operation went well.

I had both eyes done with new lens put in last year and my distance sight is amazing.

You are recommended to wear sunglasses outside when it is bright for at least 1 year.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4