The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 13th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Defy Superstition Day, Fortune Cookie Day, and National Peanut Day

Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.--John Green

Meal Suggestion for today - Shuǐjiǎo
Drink of the Day - After Midnight In Kentucky
Wine of the Day - CFour Vines 2019 Naked Chardonnay (Central Coast)
Destination of the Day - Puerto Princesa, Philippines

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 09/14

Nieuw Statendam

Sydney NS, Canada 10 - 6

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, France Riviera 07:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/14

0913Atlantic.thumb.png.31244f1d337e2cb7869286bff9bb3334.png

0913Alaska.thumb.png.1917be1ab8d182de8b426d4ec9eef34b.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  I like all 3 days although I'm not personally that much into fortune cookies.  I love the Green quote.  Have not been to the Philippines and have no idea what the meal is.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
From the rotation:
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Great progress on dfish move
4 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
3 days for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
Ichiban Nekko forever home nearing completion
lindaler (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.

Sorry I have not been on the Daily for the last few days.  They have been busy ones.  Also there is really not anything of a happy nature to report.

Work on our house continues.  They keep finding more and more problems.

There are still huge fans all over our house to dry the cement slab and the drywall throughout the house. 

The built-in bookcase in the living room has been removed in order to dry the wall behind it.

They are comtemplating removing the garden tub to get to the wall behind it.  The floor tiles in the bathroom have been compromised and must be taken up.

I could go on and on.

I wonder what today’s news will be.

Anyway, it is hard to write all those things everyday.  

We are in a nice condo and happy to have comfortable accommodations.  However, it is not home.  We have no idea when we will be able to inhabit our home again.

We meet with the contractor tomorrow and hopefully we will have a timeline.  I have a feeling that we will be out of our home for quite a while with all the work that needs to be done.

I will try to check in when I am able 

Take care everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 22

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We had a nice rain yesterday and today starts out on the cool side but should warm up to 21C (70F) and sunny this afternoon.  A lovely late summer day.  The trees are already starting to turn, autumn is not far away.

I'm not too superstitious (knock wood 😁).  Love peanuts, especially in peanut butter that becomes peanut butter cookies. 🙂

I like the quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are nice.

@Cruzin TerriGood luck with the house repairs, hope they don't find any more problems.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day, I'm off to walk Bertie.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I have no idea what today’s meal suggestion is so will wait for @dfish pictures and recipes.  I enjoy peanuts and we have a few bags of them in the house, thanks to Texas Roadhouse.  Today promises to be a busy work day.  Yesterday a customer went live with an update and it didn’t go well.  This morning another went live and I’m seeing some crashing issues that need to be resolved.  I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

image.png.4f02101b4ec1b415b020f3a56eef8e14.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon.

Sunny and 58°F here 

Thank you for today's fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I am a little superstitious and like peanuts and fortune cookies when I can get them.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

Wishing everyone a safe and nice day.

Graham.

• Like 25

After Midnight in Kentucky cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
2-3 Blackberries
1/2 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
2 parts Ginger Ale

Instructions
Muddle 2 or 3 large blackberries in a rocks glass with a splash of Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur. Add in equal parts Makers Mark® Bourbon and ginger ale. Stir gently. Top off with ice.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 7.40.10 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  Wow, we have similar weather to Graham @grapau27this morning.  I was shocked to see it is only 57F, 85% humidity and sunny conditions all day long.  We are normally around 70 early in the morning so it really feels like Fall.  I was happy to see the weather in London will be taking a turn to the sunny side starting Wednesday and through the funeral for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.  Graham, are you and Pauline going to travel to London to view the Queen's coffin?  I've heard millions will file past the coffin before the funeral next Monday.  

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Fleet Report and Daily this morning.  I am keeping an eye on Volendam but see by your list that she hasn't left Rotterdam yet.  Any news?  Interesting set of days.  Defy superstition sounds intriguing.  I like both fortune cookies and peanuts, but have no idea what the menu item is today.  I'm sure Debbie @dfish will be posting a description soon.  Glad to hear Debbie's house has had a showing and has 5 more today (so far).  You will be sold and ready to move to Michigan before you know it.  Fingers still crossed the deal in Midland goes through.🤞

Terri @Cruzin TerriI hope there are no further surprises in store for you as they do a little demo on the walls and floor.  Remember, it's always darkest before the dawn.  @HAL4NOWI really hope and pray the fires are out soon and this disaster is behind you quickly.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the new Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all in need and cheers to those celebrating.  

Puerto Princesa, Philippines was our port of the day on Saturday, February 12, 2022 (Lincoln's birthday!).  I went back to page 22 of Rich's posting activity and am posting the link to that date for anyone wishing to retrieve their photos and descriptions of Puerto Princesa.

I'll be happy to view any photos posted.  We have not been to the Philippines before.

DH has an appointment this morning with his oral surgeon so I hope some progress will be made soon on the dental implant he's getting.  I'll go along and then we can get some groceries.  

Have a great day everyone!  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Today is also Bald is Beautiful Day

DA4EFA85-238E-4B7D-A7BA-03EB58F8893B.jpeg.b4b1c37ddaf15ad547438a7f40eb05c2.jpeg

@StLouisCruisers This post says the Volendam will be leaving on the 14th.  I guess we’ll see tomorrow.  

I read that thread after posting on here.  Surprised because we had all been thinking it was the 9th.

I'm sure the Sept. 24th cruisers are getting anxious as they await some movement of the ship.

• Like 23

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

It seems ironic that defy superstition & fortune cookie day are on the same day.  I think today’s quote is very true.  Look forward to hearing about the meal suggestion from Debbie & the wine.

2FC9AFFD-F205-43F4-83A6-FF07354F90AE.thumb.jpeg.fb8b36de831842f45b88657f253f07ad.jpeg

Just a bit of clean up left - like (ugh) sorting the silverware and getting it put away, etc.  Hopefully it is finished off today.

@Cruzin Terrioh dear - I sure hope there are no more surprises and that your home can be brought back to normal asap 🤞 @dfishDebbie, hoping one of those showings turns into an offer that you like 🤞 

9542840E-C69F-4206-9604-E7A3471911D7.jpeg.901814939c1f1bdd5b98d0b22be4eea8.jpeg

Looks like the rain may hold off a bit so I should try to get a bit done outside.  I feel for Newfoundland getting hit by Earl 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!

9B31D268-9B36-4D50-8119-EAA7DEE39862.jpeg.428a0bb0608906dcd1f719d2c6c658a4.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when/where needed

• Like 24
  • Haha 11

Good morning, everyone.

I am enjoying a relaxing morning for a change.  I decided that if I just don't touch anything in the house it will be ok for all of the showings.  @Cruzin Terri You can't catch a break, can you?   Since you can't do anything about it, sit back and try to enjoy the now environment.  It is at times like this that I hear my brother's voice saying, "Turn it over," meaning to your higher power.  The Serenity Prayer works for all of us in many situations.  

The drink sounds like something I would like and I'll have to remember it and see if I can get one on the Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to the wine description as I do like a good Chardonnay.

Today's meal is an interesting one.  Not sure if I'd try it or not due to carbs.  I know I wouldn't make it myself. 

Shuǐjiǎo are Chinese dumplings served without broth or soup, filled with various ingredients that are limited only by one's imagination. The boiled dumplings are a staple food of northern China. Some of the most popular ingredients for the filling include shrimp, cucumber, purple cabbage, ground pork, bean sprouts, vermicelli, and rice.

Shuǐjiǎo are especially popular during the Lunar New Year, when whole families in northern China prepare them, with some family members rolling out the dumplings, some mixing the ingredients for the filling, and some pinching them into crescent-like shapes.

Sometimes, the cooks even hide a lucky coin on the inside of the dumplings for one fortunate consumer who will find it. The dumplings are traditionally served on their own, with some kind of dipping sauce on the side in order to enhance the flavors of the dish.

109083474_shuijiao1.thumb.jpg.b564ff9f732b1fbe1a9cd8437ecbf258.jpg

Here is a recipe for the traditional dish.  https://www.tasteatlas.com/shuijiao/recipe

665613920_shuijiao2.jpg.5d48e8b33f06d78b82cfd381e64b5e72.jpg

And this one is for prawn and pork stuffed dumplings.   https://www.tasteatlas.com/shuijiao/recipe

60414574_Shuijiao5.jpg.552ad328d6acaabc69a1539bb03d82b6.jpg

Inspired by spicy Sichuan cuisine, this recipe, adapted from the from TheMalaProject.com, describes the preparation of a pork-filled shuǐjiǎo served with chili oil, minced garlic, and toasted sesame seeds.  https://www.tasteatlas.com/shuijiao/recipe/shuijiao-in-hong-you-sauce

49585617_Shuijiao6.jpg.ee0025ed19a45375db56b96ea837ae96.jpg

Finally, we have homemade Chinese Dumplings  made two ways as pan-fried pot stickers and boiled little bundles of pork and vegetables, wrapped into a dumpling and dipped into a Chinese black vinegar sauce.  https://www.hwcmagazine.com/recipe/chinese-dumplings-shuijiao/

1794557109_Shuijiao4.jpg.7377e05e96c2bd476b29bdad2b65faa5.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8

Good morning!  Another day of catch up.  September taxes, absentee ballot application and potting up all the bare root plants that I brought home from the cabin.  We will have a beautiful day for it.  

@Cruzin Terri, Terri I hope there are no further surprises in your home today and they can get things repaired quickly.  @dfishI hope that you get an offer on your Cleveland home soon.  I have never been to Midland but I think they have a beautiful botanical garden there.    

Rich, thank you for the Daily Reports.   @rafinmd Thank you for keeping us apprised of everything that is happening.  Prayers for those on your list and for those needing them.  Continued prayers for success in Ukraine.   Debbie, thank you for finding those tasty recipes, they got better and better as I scrolled down.  I love the pot stickers.  The drink looks tasty too if made with Diet Ginger Ale, as does the chardonnay.   We have never been to today's port so look forward to seeing the photos.  Have a wonderful day! 

aphrodite fritillary 7322.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I admit, I'm superstitious, but love fortune cookies.  Being ever the child, whenever we read fortune cookies out loud, we always end them with "in bed."  Gales of laughter usually ensue.  Mature, right?  We enjoy going to Five Guys occasionally and getting our peanut fix there.

Has anyone noticed how dark it is early in the morning?  I particularly noticed it when I got up this morning, as we have a cloud cover - I thought perhaps the clock was wrong and I'd risen an hour earlier, but no, it was just dark.  We're already starting to see some of the northern birds coming through our yard, stopping at the feeders and fountain on their way south.  Yesterday we had a rather noisy woodpecker who after tasting a few trees, also decided to sample the cedar siding on our house.   The garden hose encouraged him to continue on his way.

Prep work today, getting ready to leave the house for a few days.  I had one of my "cruise tubs" emptied on the dining room table to see what I could use or put back, but since we're having someone come in daily to care for Sochi, I'm going to clear it off so it doesn't look like we're total pigs.   LOL 

@Cruzin TerriI'm sorry to hear all the damage your house has sustained, but if there's a bright light here, it's that you'll be walking back into a fully restored (think new old) house.  I hope you can make yourselves comfortable in your rental until your house is ready for you to return.

I've had today's menu suggestion; in fact, I have some frozen ones that are ready to cook at a moment's notice.  We like to boil them, then fry them up a little bit, so they don't seem quite so doughy.  I always serve them with fish sauce and finely chopped green onions; they make a great mid-afternoon snack when you don't feel like making a big dinner later.   The fridge is pretty much cleaned out, so I think DH will head out and bring back some burgers for us to enjoy on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for all the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

Good morning  to all.We has a big thunderstorm this morning which I would think woke the entire neighborhood  at 5 am.It remains quite humid so far.

The recipes look good  but  we usually  opt for the fresh dumplings we can get at H Mart. Tana often asks me to pick up their kimbap as well.

We have not been to the port but would love to see pictures. 

@Cruzin Terri, I am so sorry  to hear that there is just so much damage.

Camilla spent the day with her grandpa and he made her a "throne" on their deck.

9674.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning! All our donations are outside awaiting pick up. Thankfully, there is no rain in our forecast and the cold front has us starting the day at a very refreshing 68 F. Let’s start cooling down the Gulf and get rid of hurricane season.

Friday we are heading over to Florida’s East coast to see daughter and family. In other words we need a grandchildren fix!

Not much else on the agenda today but may put the top down on the Spyder and go for a ride and recharge the battery.

We just finished up eating some pork dumplings DW made Sunday so will be interested in seeing what recipes Debbie has found for us today. Thanks Debbie and good luck on selling/ buying houses.

@Cruzin Terri Sorry your having to go through these frustrating times but prayers that it is all repaired quickly and life can return to normal.

Rich thanks for the Fleet Report and to all our subscribers have a great day.

• Like 26