The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 13th, 2022

richwmn

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the recipe Joy.  It sounds delicious and easy.  I'm wondering if black beans, either whole or mashed, could be substituted for the vegetarians in the family.

Lenda

Lenda, I have added cilantro,  beans, olives, jalapenos and fresh green onions (after it comes out of the oven) Lots of options. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Today's meal is an interesting one.  Not sure if I'd try it or not due to carbs.  I know I wouldn't make it myself. 

We had it for breakfast today; easy meal fixed in the microwave while running a generator. Power is still out indefinitely because of the Bolt Creek Fire. Schwan's has 'Pork Pot Stickers in Sweet Soy Sauce' that we enjoy. One serving (four potstickers with sauce) does have 48g of carbs.

image.png.42470e6f66b88ae395ebc690bdf61e9a.png

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. A beautiful calm morning here in Georgetown. 

Prayers lifted to all our friends here and their families. Camilla looks as adorable as ever. Debbie fingers crossed you get a sold house soon and the offer accepted on the other. Terri, as Gerry suggested look upward for strength and hey, a new house with fresh paint is something to look forward to!

My sweet husband loves peanuts, especially boiled peanuts. He has a few neighbors hooked on them now. When the shelves are stocked with them, I buy a dozen cans.

image.png.cf62b455a6d39a026a356682ac5d39b6.png

Last night was game night and had a great time ending with a Birthday cake. All 3 couples wanted my simple recipe for chicken enchilada dip. Today will be quiet around here.

Yesterday a baby hummingbird hit our window. I picked him up and held him til he felt ready to fly. This was my 3rd hummingbird I've held. I wasn't so lucky with a baby bunting. One of the guys buried it in my garden last night.

Hoping my friends here have a wonderful day. Prayers for those in the hurricane paths. Blessings, Cheers and Prayers. Xx

Joy, I was going to ask for the dip recipe too but I see you have already shared it.  Thank you!  Sounds delicious.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Midland does have Dow Gardens, a wonderful place to walk around and enjoy nature.   There is also Whiting Forest.   There you'll find an extensive canopy walk along with regular hiking trails.  

Debbie, I loved walking around Dow Gardens in the summer while we lived there.  I remembered one visit with my Mom and twin in August 1979, the month before we left Michigan for DH's new job in the northern California A-B brewery.  My DS lost his footing walking on wet rocks while crossing a little pond.  I immediately grabbed his legs to pull his feet out of the water.  We all had a good laugh!  I had Instamatic camera photos of it so took IPhone photos of those old fuzzy pics to share with you here.

DS and I with my niece going ahead without us00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi8IqxKw5vQh5_0MHiM3SB4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090838

From left to right, DD, niece Amy, DS in front of my Mom, and me at the beautiful Dow Gardens.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7H2Yw-yoZ-solkyDdFt6wKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090839

The waterfall at the Dow Gardens.  Twin sitting on rock at the top, and my Mom in charge of DD, DS, and niece Amy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0bcAKRk1JtLexK73ZCUfVKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090839

We also used to go to the City Forest in the winter so the kids could play on the ice skating rink and go toboganing/sledding.  Seems like I remember you could use their trails for snowmobiling too so we probably took ours over to drive through the forest.  Very nice facilities!  Is that the same place as Whiting Forest?  We haven't been back to Midland since 1979 so I would guess there are plenty of things that have changed since then.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily/Fleet Report.

I am not too superstitious; mainly about sports - in playoffs I have "lucky" shirts, lol. I like the fortunes, but not the cookies. I love peanut butter (chunky) and pb cookies, but not eating peanuts themselves. I think that's a true quote.

I like the meal (reminds me of German maultaschen). Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Puerto Princesa or anywhere in the Philippines. Thanks for any photos to come.

I woke up cold! It was only 52F outside and the house was a bit chilly. Only a high of 69F today. BFF is coming over later to watch more of The Rings of Power. 

@Cruzin Terri So sorry to hear they are finding more issues, but they all need to be discovered to fix things properly. Hard to believe how much damage was done by that leak! 

@dfish It sounds like your house get an offer soon!

@StLouisCruisers Good luck to DH at the dentist.

@smitty34877 Thanks for a picture of the Princess on her "throne"!

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm glad you're not in fire danger, but the smoke sounds awful!

Prayers for the Care List and a Salute to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

DH did fine at the oral surgeon.  He'll be making an appointment soon for our dentist to make the tooth/implant/crown.  Not sure what they call it.  He just had to avoid hot food at lunchtime.  I'll sure be glad when this saga is over!  It's dragged on and on.

• Like 20

Thanks for the thread and all the sharing that it stands for.

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I admit, I'm superstitious, but love fortune cookies.  Being ever the child, whenever we read fortune cookies out loud, we always end them with "in bed."  Gales of laughter usually ensue.  Mature, right?  We enjoy going to Five Guys occasionally and getting our peanut fix there

When I married DH, our first Chinese dinner out with his family was for his mom's 70th birthday and this is their tradition. So funny! 😄

It's a coolish day today in SW Ontario. We haven't had any side effects from the booster so far, not even the really painful arm from the last booster.  We have some of the frozen dumplings in the freezer, so I can pull them out for dinner.

Prayers and best wishes for those that need them and those celebrating. Blessings to all. Have a wonderful day.

• Like 20

39 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We had it for breakfast today; easy meal fixed in the microwave while running a generator. Power is still out indefinitely because of the Bolt Creek Fire. Schwan's has 'Pork Pot Stickers in Sweet Soy Sauce' that we enjoy. One serving (four potstickers with sauce) does have 48g of carbs.

image.png.42470e6f66b88ae395ebc690bdf61e9a.png

I'd have to limit myself to 2 of them.   I bet I would like them, though.

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, I loved walking around Dow Gardens in the summer while we lived there.  I remembered one visit with my Mom and twin in August 1979, the month before we left Michigan for DH's new job in the northern California A-B brewery.  My DS lost his footing walking on wet rocks while crossing a little pond.  I immediately grabbed his legs to pull his feet out of the water.  We all had a good laugh!  I had Instamatic camera photos of it so took IPhone photos of those old fuzzy pics to share with you here.

DS and I with my niece going ahead without us00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKi8IqxKw5vQh5_0MHiM3SB4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090838

From left to right, DD, niece Amy, DS in front of my Mom, and me at the beautiful Dow Gardens.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7H2Yw-yoZ-solkyDdFt6wKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090839

The waterfall at the Dow Gardens.  Twin sitting on rock at the top, and my Mom in charge of DD, DS, and niece Amy00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ0bcAKRk1JtLexK73ZCUfVKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663090839

We also used to go to the City Forest in the winter so the kids could play on the ice skating rink and go toboganing/sledding.  Seems like I remember you could use their trails for snowmobiling too so we probably took ours over to drive through the forest.  Very nice facilities!  Is that the same place as Whiting Forest?  We haven't been back to Midland since 1979 so I would guess there are plenty of things that have changed since then.

Whiting Forest is different from City Forest.  It is actually part of Dow Gardens.  We used to go tobogganing at City Forest.   There was an ice skating rink outside of the Community Center for a while.  I never mastered being able to stand up on ice skates, so didn't do too much of that.  

Here is some information on the Canopy Walk:  https://www.gogreat.com/blog/explore-the-nations-longest-canopy-walk-inside-whiting-forest-of-dow-gardens-in-midland/

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

For the IPAD enthusiasts, I am pretty much a PC person but I have long also had IPADS for their portability.  I have:

An Ipad Air from 2014

A Mini 4 from 2017.

Sometime around March the Air suddenly lost connectivity.  The wifi page in settings was blank except for an on-off switch that did not respond.  It may have been a mistake but I then bought a new IPAD Generation 9.  Since then the Mini 4 has been behaving the same way and I finally figured out that in settings there was a setting to reset the network.  That eventually also worked for the IPAD Air but the problem REGULARLY recurs.  When the WIFI is down there's also an option to "Transfer to New IPAD" and I think I have tried it but they're all legitimately all mine and I just want to get what I have back, and the problem still recurs FREQUENTLY (this week it happened to the Air on 2 successive days).

Any ideas?

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

For the IPAD enthusiasts, I am pretty much a PC person but I have long also had IPADS for their portability.  I have:

An Ipad Air from 2014

A Mini 4 from 2017.

Sometime around March the Air suddenly lost connectivity.  The wifi page in settings was blank except for an on-off switch that did not respond.  It may have been a mistake but I then bought a new IPAD Generation 9.  Since then the Mini 4 has been behaving the same way and I finally figured out that in settings there was a setting to reset the network.  That eventually also worked for the IPAD Air but the problem REGULARLY recurs.  When the WIFI is down there's also an option to "Transfer to New IPAD" and I think I have tried it but they're all legitimately all mine and I just want to get what I have back, and the problem still recurs FREQUENTLY (this week it happened to the Air on 2 successive days).

Any ideas?

Roy

No ideas whatsoever! I have a mini 2 and a mini 5 but no experience with an iPad air.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Power was just restored for Skykomish and some of the surrounding area. 

Bolt Creek Fire is moving slower, humidity is high, and the firefighters are making progress on the fire line; 5% containment being reported. Quite a few people have returned to their homes in Grotto. They are not out of danger yet, but spirits are high, and plans are in place.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

An Ipad Air from 2014

A Mini 4 from 2017.

Any ideas?

Roy

======

Hello Roy I read your posts frequently.   I believe you may have WiFi only IPAd and Mini.

Firm believer of paying the extra to get IPad with Cellular not WiFi only.   Don't have to do Cellular although I use Keepgo all over the world prepaid sim with data which does not expire if you top up yearly.   Used it for more than several years.  Days of me spending vacation time looking for free WiFi are gone.

Peter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Power was just restored for Skykomish and some of the surrounding area. 

Bolt Creek Fire is moving slower, humidity is high, and the firefighters are making progress on the fire line; 5% containment being reported. Quite a few people have returned to their homes in Grotto. They are not out of danger yet, but spirits are high, and plans are in place.

Thanks for the update.  I looks like things are moving in the right direction.  

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon dear people.  About boiled peanuts, we have had them all our lives, because my father used to make them, and plenty of roadside stands have them, and DH makes the best ones!  @TiogaCruiser, he orders the jumbo raw peanuts in their shells from Nuts dot com, because smaller ones are more difficult to cook to the right doneness.  Their website has the instructions, and you can adjust as necessary.  We cook ours on our outside burner next to the grill in case of a boil-over.  Use a huge pot, and you might need to put something heavy on top of the nuts in the beginning so they don't all float to the top of the water.  We like them best when they are close to al dente, or "medium rare" as DH prefers to say.  Some of the roadside ones are softer and saltier, and I have never had the ones from a can so I'm not sure how those compare.  DS lives in California, and he usually takes some home when he has been to the South, because his West Coast friends like them once they try them.  I think you should give them a try!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!  It is a much cooler day here - overcast, and trying to give us a little rain.  At least some of the smoke has cleared out for the time being.  Hope the containment continues and that the horrible fires can be a memory soon.

When I was growing up, I always loved it when my Grandmother and some of her sisters were together.  Talk about Irish superstitions!!!!!  They had one to fit any situation.  Wish I could remember some of their conversations more clearly.

@Cruzin TerriI surely hope, for your sake, that the construction can be completed in a timely fashion.  It has to be so disheartening to discover more damage on an almost daily basis.

@smitty34877, Miss Camilla is so beautiful.  She looks like she is a very vibrant and charming little one.  I think we all would like to give her a big hug.

Hope the rest of the day is great for everyone!

Mary Kay

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfish Whiting Forest and the Canopy Walk looks amazing!  Midland has some great attributes for such a small town, doesn't it?  

It sure does.  They have a great Center for the Arts that has concerts from some well known groups and excellent displays and programs for kids.

Ok, I know this is just the first full day the house has been listed, but the waiting is driving me nuts!  I had 7 showings today and 1 last night.  Three coming up tomorrow.  Nervous Nellie has taken over.  What if they don't like my house?   What if it takes forever to sell?  What if I don't get what I  need from this house to get the one we like in Midland?   What if, what if, what if.   I hope I can sleep tonight.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

It sure does.  They have a great Center for the Arts that has concerts from some well known groups and excellent displays and programs for kids.

Ok, I know this is just the first full day the house has been listed, but the waiting is driving me nuts!  I had 7 showings today and 1 last night.  Three coming up tomorrow.  Nervous Nellie has taken over.  What if they don't like my house?   What if it takes forever to sell?  What if I don't get what I  need from this house to get the one we like in Midland?   What if, what if, what if.   I hope I can sleep tonight.

Debbie, take a deep breath, poor a glass (or more) of wine and relax.  After all your work to get the house ready, I know it will show well. 

Remember it take just one person or couple for the house to sell, and that one is out there.  Besides, you have all the Dailyites behind you sending good thoughts and vibes.

Lenda

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

@dfish Remember what you said earlier today: "It is at times like this that I hear my brother's voice saying, "Turn it over," meaning to your higher power.  The Serenity Prayer works for all of us in many situations."

💤Sleep well💤,

-Melisa

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@dfishPositive thoughts heading your way. You’ve got this!

Thank you, thank you, thank  you!

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, take a deep breath, poor a glass (or more) of wine and relax.  After all your work to get the house ready, I know it will show well. 

Remember it take just one person or couple for the house to sell, and that one is out there.  Besides, you have all the Dailyites behind you sending good thoughts and vibes.

Lenda

How can things not work out with the Dailyites behind me?   I love this family.  I'd pour that glass of wine if I had any.  

9 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@dfish Remember what you said earlier today: "It is at times like this that I hear my brother's voice saying, "Turn it over," meaning to your higher power.  The Serenity Prayer works for all of us in many situations."

💤Sleep well💤,

-Melisa

Thanks, Melisa.   I do need to do that.  It isn't always easy though.  I mentioned my nervous thoughts to my sister who is in on this journey with me and she reminded me that we have options and what they were.  She also said it seemed strange to be the optimistic one and me being the doubter.  Those roles are normally reversed.  I suppose these nerves are normal.  I've never sold a house before.  When I moved down here I put everything I had in the trunk of my car and that was that.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

I suppose these nerves are normal.  I've never sold a house before.  When I moved down here I put everything I had in the trunk of my car and that was that.  

From one who has sold 6 houses, yes nerves are normal! I think my worst time was when DH was in the Navy and at sea.  I was trying to sell our house with a 5-year-old and an infant.  I was a nervous wreck!  But the house sold in one day  And as someone else said, it only takes one -- and that will be the right one.  You got this Debbie!  

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

From one who has sold 6 houses, yes nerves are normal! I think my worst time was when DH was in the Navy and at sea.  I was trying to sell our house with a 5-year-old and an infant.  I was a nervous wreck!  But the house sold in one day  And as someone else said, it only takes one -- and that will be the right one.  You got this Debbie!  

I agree with this, @dfishDebbie.

I haven't been posting much because it's chaos around here lately and I'm pooped out, but...yes.  Buying and selling houses is an emotional roller coaster.  Both the buying and the selling.  The offers and counter offers and waiting and wondering.  DH has nerves of steel and he has been overwrought in the process, too.

You'll get there...right where you want to be!  ❤️

• Like 12