The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 15th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Make a Hat Day, Greenpeace Day, and National Caregivers Day

So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - Beef Flautas
Drink of the Day - El Bombin
Wine of the Day - Three Brooms Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand
Destination of the Day - Belize City, Belize

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Anchorage AK, Alaska, Denali NP 11:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Statendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Barcelona, Spain eta 09/16

Rotterdam

Geiranger, Norway 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Relocate to Trieste Currently headed to Malaga, Spain eta 9/18

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 09/16

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 09/16

0915World.thumb.jpg.13ee97fd941520ae683e1cb58fbd90aa.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the not-quite-Friday, Rich.  I'll pass on making hats  but salute Greenpeace and caregivers, especially @smitty34877.  I visited Belize City once on the Crystal Symphony.  Not sure what the meal is.  Pleased to hear of a likely settlement of the railroad strike as I will be using the Auto Train to get to the Eurodam for November 9.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage and long term repairs
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery, poor biopsy, awaiting scans 9/13,  and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam at sea
Progress on Bolt Creek fire
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Several  offers for dfish
ger_77 with grandkids
2 days for norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
1 day for sailingdutchy (Oosterdam 9/16 to 10/10)
Bon Voyage Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25)
lindaler (Westerdam  to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great day! 

We received an email from HAL this morning that they moved our November cruise departure from 5 pm to 3 pm. No explanation and it doesn't affect us as we fly in two days before the cruise. 🙂  

046.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion so look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  Today is a mandatory in office day.  Overnight I got a notification about our NA 11/6 cruise.  Departure time is now 3 pm instead of 4.  Works for me since we are arriving the day before.  I hope everyone has a good Thursday.

image.thumb.png.30334abfd3516c3e82d71eb3bb5d4675.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A cool morning, definitely feels like fall.  Heading out to walk Bertie soon.

I heard on the radio that the queue of mourners waiting to walk by the Queen's coffin stretched 6 km and growing.

I won't make a hat, but I send a big thank you to caregivers and to Greenpeace.

Love the quote.

I'm looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Not sure about the drink, but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

I’ll gladly celebrate Greenpeace Day & salute all Caregivers.  It’s a hard job but one of love - kudos to all including @smitty34877

I like today’s quote.  The meal sounds good & the wine recommendation is white 👍 

4CB7457D-7C47-4E04-8D2F-D4D2B1F212D1.jpeg.dbf2e540eecc1f83c8d3878b9e4b911e.jpeg

Well, I got bit by the appliance bug already so now it’s the automobile bug 😡 On the way to my session yesterday - all of a sudden there was a big noise.  I thought a stone or something had hit underneath the SUV but saw nothing on the road.  When I went to park and turn sharply there was a grindy, metallic noise.  Not good.  The SUV goes in to be examined (and hopefully fixed) today.  Can’t wait to see the bill 😞 Of course, the warranty (if this would have been covered) expired at the end of August. ‘Sigh’

I’d happily trade this in for a smaller vehicle with no dogs/DH but they are few and far behind and I have promised myself not to make any serious decisions (except cruising 😉) for a while.

Loved this when I saw it:

267D81A4-3449-4D43-A18A-2FA9A19AAE65.thumb.jpeg.00d31443bf888d4920e916368335b0bd.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday, all !!!!!

FA45111B-BFB8-4F82-BB2F-025DA334B0F1.jpeg.d58ccfaf801a58ebec352b7c2bc90a97.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

El Bomba cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part Fresh Grapefruit Juice
1/2 part Honey Syrup
Garnish with Orange Wheel

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Shake well for 10 seconds. Serve in a martini glass. Garnish with orange wheel.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 7.26.08 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon from a sunny 14°C North East coast of England.

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Thank you Roy for the list's.

Greenpeace and all caregivers deserve all of our praise and respect.

Nice food and wine today.

Never been to today's port.

Wishing everyone good health.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone!

I have four showings this morning starting at 8:30 am, so I need to be quick and get moving here.  My realtor and I are meeting this afternoon to go over offers.  Dan, my handyman, is coming to fix the outside faucet and put in a handrail to the basement.  I will be happy when life returns to boring normal.  

@smitty34877 Today is your day.  Not only have we adopted Camilla, we Dailyites have long admired you for your selflessness.   I hope to get the help you need today.   

@kazu Cars seem to know when is the worst possible time for attack and they do.  I hope it is something minor.

Flautas are a crowd-pleasing Mexican dish that can be made many different ways.

“Flautas” is Spanish for “flutes.” If you’ve ever had this cuisine at a Mexican restaurant, you’ll immediately understand why.

Flautas are made from tortillas that are filled and then rolled up and fried. The result: a long, thin, flute-shaped roll that’s extra-crispy and bursting with a savory, spiced filling.

Our first recipe uses ground beef and tops off the flutes with a cilantro lime avocado sauce.  https://midwestfoodieblog.com/ground-beef-flautas-with-cilantro-avocado-sauce/

1469154463_beefflautas1.thumb.jpg.aa8d8084c2856bf95fb7073f8a033e54.jpg

This next one uses corn tortillas, salsa, and chuck roast.  https://www.homesicktexan.com/how-to-make-flautas-recipe/

1698483214_beefflautas2.thumb.jpg.5ac7ebe048a1eba4d104b40ca9a53ca8.jpg

Taste of Home uses either corn or flour tortillas and beef brisket.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/beef-flautas/

1679457259_beefflautas3.jpg.969632bd50636d0f6cd36a53d2c385f8.jpg

One last one for the road.  This one gives lots of suggestions for toppings for the flautas and reminds us we can use chicken if we prefer.  https://lilluna.com/flautas/

860847174_beefflautas4.thumb.jpg.27d27f1283c1e5b036080b9b15a0a0f8.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends!  Another gorgeous sunny morning, nice and cool at 61F right now but temp is expected to rise to about 82.  We might run a few errands in the next town over today.  We try to group things together when we do go out to save on gas.  Tomorrow I have a dental cleaning here in town.  I've been waiting since July because of two cancellations.  I hope the hygienist doesn't have any more emergencies requiring me to be cancelled!  

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  I don't know that we need a day for making hats, but I will salute Greenpeace and caregivers!  We have several who post here, but at the moment Terry @smitty34877is right in the middle of caregiving for Tana.  Prayers offered up for her and the family as they deal with all the work and stress.🙏  The beef flautas sound good, and so does the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  So many people to pray for and I was happy to do it.  I was sorry to hear of Terri @Cruzin Terri's fall.  Sounded awful!  I hope the work on your home goes smoothly and everything is good as new or even better than new when all is finished.  Jacqui @kazusorry to hear about the car problems but hopefully it's not as bad as you fear.  How do those warranties always expire just before the breakdowns?  Good luck with that! 🤞 And I loved the Queen with the corgis meme.  Just beautiful!  Debbie @dfishI am thrilled to hear you have several offers coming in today to consider.  You will be on your way to Michigan before you know it.  Congrats!🥂

Belize City, Belize was our port of the day way back on March 18, 2021.  I found it on page 65 of Rich's posting activity so here's a link to that page for anyone who has photos to retrieve.  I have not been to Belize yet, and that is why I chose a Caribbean cruise on Princess (FCC money) next February so we can finally get there.  Caribbean cruises are not our first choice so that's why it's taken so long to get there.  I hope someone has photos today.

Hope the Volendam is enjoying smooth seas as they head towards Malaga and eventually Trieste.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! Am I up,so,early I’ve made page 1?

Yesterday we went across to Bellingham and got our bivalent Covid shots. We’re set to go! We also got notification that our hotel booking in Fort Lauderdale between the Grand Africa and the Holiday cruise has been cancelled. It turns out the hotel has closed permanently.  I suppose that’s an acceptable reason to cancel.🤔

Anyway, I just booked another hotel before all the rooms are gone. After all Christmas is only 3 months away now!

Prayers to all who need them, and I’m happy that @HAL4NOW has power back. Cooler weather and moisture laden clouds have settled,the smoke here, even if the fires aren’t out yet!

Happy Thursday everyone, and I hoist my morning coffee wishing it was aboard a BHB!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all,

Happy Thursday.  Just a short note before we head back to our house.  I want to get all the stuff away from the tub before the demolition crew shows up.  They really work fast.  I have some pretty shells on the window sill and a small vase with gold leafs.  The ledge has some toiletries on it.  If they get there first and remove the stuff, i will never find them.

Good collection of days.  I don’t think I have the wherewithal to make a hat.  Greenpeace is important.  Hats off to caregivers.  Having done that for many years, I know all that it entails.  @smitty34877 are you listening?  We salute you.

I will pass on the meals and wine and drinks.  We eat what is available these days.

As for the destination, we will be in Belize in December but at Harvest Caye, not Belize City.

I like the quote.

Not much else to say right now.

Try to post later if I can.

I am still sore from the fall.

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless,.

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

A very early good morning from central Texas.  I woke up early and could not get back to sleep, so, I finally decided to just get up and get the house cleaning started.  Maybe, I'll finish early today.

I'll not be making a hat today, but I made several as part of Halloween costumes many years ago.  A salute to Greenpeace, and to caregivers, especially all the caregivers on the Fleet/Daily.

I like today’s quote.  Flautas are good, and small ones make a good snack.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Belize City, but we did stop at an island off the coast a little more than 30 years ago.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope today is a better day, and you are getting the extra help you need.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry your car is giving you trouble, and hope it's not serious or expensive. The meme with the corgis is wonderful.

@dfish  Debbie, it's good to know the leak will be repaired today and a handrail going to the basement will be installed.  Good luck going through the offers.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope tomorrow's appointment is not canceled.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning  and thank you so much for the continued  encouragement  for the family.This includes @StLouisCruisers, @Sharon in AZ, @dfish, @rafinmd, @kazu and @Quartzsite Cruiser

Yesterday I was so upset that I parked myself out in the backyard  for a while to calm down. I am usually  very even tempered but I think fatigue and worry just got to me.I decided then that we need to make changes with more than getting home health aide assistance. We all talked it over with Tana at dinner last night and hopefully  things will improve. The aide  came at 7 and seems to be very good. 

Dinner tonight is take out!

Terry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Just the opposite here as I slept late henceforth posting late! Projects of the day include washing the car as tomorrow we are headed to Jacksonville to visit with daughter and family. We’ll return Tuesday. Also need to devote some time in preparation for tonight’s church small group meeting.

For the past two mornings we have been getting a hint that fall is coming. Temperatures have been in the low sixties in the morning which is great for morning walk. Temperature’s will still rise to high eighties later in the day.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Just curious. What hotel closed in Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks to all. Have a great day.

• Like 20

56 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning all,

Happy Thursday.  Just a short note before we head back to our house.  I want to get all the stuff away from the tub before the demolition crew shows up.  They really work fast.  I have some pretty shells on the window sill and a small vase with gold leafs.  The ledge has some toiletries on it.  If they get there first and remove the stuff, i will never find them.

Good collection of days.  I don’t think I have the wherewithal to make a hat.  Greenpeace is important.  Hats off to caregivers.  Having done that for many years, I know all that it entails.  @smitty34877 are you listening?  We salute you.

I will pass on the meals and wine and drinks.  We eat what is available these days.

As for the destination, we will be in Belize in December but at Harvest Caye, not Belize City.

I like the quote.

Not much else to say right now.

Try to post later if I can.

I am still sore from the fall.

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless,.

Terri

Thank you Terri. Let's  hope for better  days ahead.

• Like 16

@Cruzin Terri I hope you remembered your IPAD when you visited your house.

Today's sunrise is from a very stormy morning September 15, 2012 on the Crystal Symphony sailing from Reykjavik to New York (we were supposed to have a stop in Halifax but missed it due to the weather):

dawn15.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@smitty34877I feel for you with the burdens you are carrying.  Being a fulltime caregiver is difficult and should be recognized everyday.   🙏

@dfishGood luck with the offers today.  Your flauta photos make me want to go for Mexican tonight but I have a field trip and meeting with my garden club, sadly my dinner will be sloppy joes.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   The cocktail, the flautas and the SB wine are all winners.  I can follow where the Volendam is.  We are about 100 days away from boarding her for 81 days!  

Prayers for all on our care list and those that need them.  @kazuI wish you could get a little break, hopefully the car repair will be simple.  Have a wonderful Thursday!! 

boss hummer 73022.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all, the flautas look delicious!  We spent many winter vacations in Cozumel, and Mexican food is a favorite.  We have a Taco Truck that visits our area every week, it's a favorite for Thursday dinner!  In 2019 we discovered cruising when we went to Alaska on HAL's Westerdam.   SInce then, we've been doing a cruise instead of the Mexico trips.  This February we stopped in Belize.  We tendered to shore, but only walked around the port area.  We weren't ready to get on any tour buses with Covid still being so prevalent.  I don't really have any pictures from there.  @smitty34877prayers that things look up for you soon, caregiving is a stressful job for sure.  @dfish any word on the new home?  Hoping all goes well with that also!  Prayers for all that need them, and best wishes to all on the shout out list.  Karen

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

More low clouds and humidity here. It’s amazing how much later the sun comes up. I have one hat that’s under construction, sitting in my UFO bin. It’s a copy of a wireframed model covered with black lace and roses from around the early aughts. 

@smitty34877 praying for things to improve in your stressful situation. 

Today’s wine:

**********+++

Three Brooms Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand 

And yet another Sauvignon Blanc. Who wants to taste this for us?

From the winery’s website:

Three Brooms is a single wine vineyard from Blind River, Marlborough, New Zealand. Their wine is a classic Sauvignon Blanc in the style of the region. However the unique micro climate of Blind River allows them to harvest the fruit two weeks later than other wines . The longer hang times and cooler fall evening result in slow ripening and enhanced aromatics

New Zealand- Juicy and vibrant with fresh ripe kiwifruit and mineral citrus flavors that turn creamy and complex on the incredibly long, full finish. Balanced and elegant, pair this wine with white fish, poultry, seafood and vegetables.

Have a great day everyone!

FC3E27EC-6D85-4805-A173-3113F4EC359B.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery, poor biopsy, awaiting scans 9/13,  and making hard decisions

Thanks @rafinmd for continuing DSIL on rotation list. She did have her scans yesterday and the wait for results has begun. 

My DH had proposed driving down this weekend for a very, very short mid-day visit as we thought we should see her after her scans and before any possible treatment starts as she'll likely need to stay very isolated then.

But, even before the scans, DSIL told us she is not feeling well enough for even the shortest of visits and isn't sure when she will. My DH is taking it very hard as they are very close. And, not feeling well enough to see her brother seems very telling to me.

For now, we wait and we pray…

-Melisa

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9