Rough seas?

havanadaydreaming

Has anyone experienced rough seas on Carnival, or any other cruise line?  

i must admit i rarely even notice that i'm at sea.  i think we have had 2x where we kinda looked at each other when you could feel the motion of the ocean onboard CCL ship.  nothing major, but at least noticeable.  

once i went to the morning show in the theatre on a smaller CCL ship  (elation, paradise?) and i could hear sounds from the hull (i assume) "groaning".  it didnt faze me.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Yep...... We were on Elation just before the shut down, on the top deck near the front of the ship.  Got into tropical storm force winds and 20 foot seas on the last night of the cruise.  Our luggage was sliding back and forth across the floor, closet doors were slamming shut, balcony furniture was sliding around.  Being the last night of the cruise I'd treated myself to an extra dessert and a couple of drinks before turning in, that didn't go so well (I lasted through a couple hours of the storm before getting sick).

Now I keep an eye on forecast seas on windy . com, and also keep some motion sickness medicine on hand just in case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

Very few times since the cruise ship captains do a great job taking care of the passengers but of course, it's a ship at sea and weather happens.

I was career Navy and to be weirdly honest I actually enjoy rougher weather at sea.  I sleep like a baby.  🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Very few times since the cruise ship captains do a great job taking care of the passengers but of course, it's a ship at sea and weather happens.

I was career Navy and to be weirdly honest I actually enjoy rougher weather at sea.  I sleep like a baby.  🙂

Same here. 😎

Yes, the Captains do what they can to mitigate the sea conditions, but there's  only so much they can do. My first cruise was on QM2 out of Florida on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. There was a weather system coming through with the seas catching us broadside, which meant a lot of rolling until we got far enough south to turn into the lee of the islands. Found out that night that there's also a limit on how well antinausea medications can work.

Edited by mom says
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

I'm kind of guessing you may have only traveled to the Caribbean or Alaska if you haven't felt the ship at some point. While all of our six transatlantics have been like glass going across the ocean, we experienced several wild episodes in the Mediterranean but that was in the fall on two different cruises.

We hit some rogue ways a day into a transpacific from Seattle and that was my first and only case of seasickness. Nothing like rocking, pitching, and swirling at the same time.

I have had rough seas in the Caribbean from Cartagena to FLL;  south of Ireland heading for Iceland and again from Iceland to Norway; Mediterranean around Barcelona;  Bermuda to NYC.  Spring, summer, and fall.  I guess I could add winter with a cruise coming up the Brazilian coast.  EM

Of course, folks have experienced rough seas.  I suspect that anyone who has cruised  for any length of time has had their share of very rough seas.  In our case the worst happened in 1991 when our ship (Celebrity Meridian) ran into a major hurricane (Bob) with its 100 knot winds and 40 foot seas.  On another cruise (transatlantic from Ft Lauderdale to Cobh, Ireland) we had several days of 15-20 foot seas as a major storm stayed with us all the way across the Atlantic.

And then there are the waters that have a habit of being rough such as the Drake Passage and Bay of Biscay which have long caused some cruisers to question their sanity :).  Ironically, we have crossed the Bay of Biscay more than 2 dozen times without any problems, but that body of water is legendary among many cruisers.  

Hank

9 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Me too😴😴

8 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Same here. 😎

Also Navy.

Once on Noordam on the first morning of a winter sailing from New York I woke to refreshing motion- and seeing green sea water outside my window every minute or so as we plowed through on-coming seas. 

But these large ships can come close to ignoring 20+ foot seas, which on a DE made every motion a balancing act.

11 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

i must admit i rarely even notice that i'm at sea.  i think we have had 2x where we kinda looked at each other when you could feel the motion of the ocean onboard CCL ship.  nothing major, but at least noticeable.  

once i went to the morning show in the theatre on a smaller CCL ship  (elation, paradise?) and i could hear sounds from the hull (i assume) "groaning".  it didn't faze me.  

It all depends on what you consider as "Rough Seas" and more importantly the design of the ships you are sailing on.

Personally, I consider 35 kt winds and 20' seas as just a regular day at the office.. Have experienced more than a few storms in over 40 yrs at sea. For one Pacific Ocean storm we "Hove to", which means we reduced speed to the minimum, which maintained steerage. Over a period of 48 hrs we were pushed back over 30 miles.

On another ship, in the Indian Ocean, we rolled 40+ degrees for a couple of days.

While those examples were cargo ships, I have also experienced significant damage due to seas when working on cruise ships - Sun Princess south of Acapulco, Island Princess approaching San Francisco, SS Oriana in North Pacific, South Pacific and North Atlantic, and SS Uganda in the Meddy.

Although we didn't experience damage, I have experienced 70+ kt storms in Alaska on both Island and Sun Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And then there are the waters that have a habit of being rough such as the Drake Passage and Bay of Biscay which have long caused some cruisers to question their sanity 🙂

One of the joys of being a Brit is that every cruise heading south from Southampton passes through the BoB ! Consequently Brits probably experience more bad weather than most.

And of course, you have to go through the BoB twice on most cruises,  so double the fun ! 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

As others have said, it all depends on the definition of "rough seas".  If by "rough" you mean "can feel the motion of the ocean in the cabin", "tough to walk normally", "promenade deck closed", "barf bags placed all over public areas", and/or "can see the waves pass over my window", then I've had rough seas on many of my cruises - if not a majority of them.  But I've never been in the places with the toughest reputations, and I've never been close to a hurricane, so by the old salts' standards of "rough seas", I can't say that I've been in any.

When the scuttles were put up on the dining saloon tables, and any form of soup was removed from the menu then it was starting to get annoying 🙂

Heavy pitching causing heavy spray - or greenies - over the open bridge wings was a pain especially when trying to take sights. 🤨

• Like 2

Oh yeah. My first cruise - we couldn't use the outside decks at all on any of the sea days, the pools were drained (either on purpose or the water sloshed out of them), having lunch one day we hit a wave so hard it caused the helmsman to call for a reduction in speed (we felt at least a brief throttle back), and they had seasick bags in all the stairways.

My next 3 cruises were smooth sailing.  My cruise this March was smooth compared to that first one but there was a day they had the bags out, it was NOTHING though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, havanadaydreaming said:

once i went to the morning show in the theatre on a smaller CCL ship  (elation, paradise?) and i could hear sounds from the hull (i assume) "groaning".  it didnt faze me.  

Oh definitely!  Transatlantic April - May 2019 on NCL Spirit.  We were over 400 miles to any land ... rough seas so bad Captain locked the exit doors AND had to put guards on them.  People were BIG time complaining because they couldn't go outside on the slick, slipper wet decks!!!!  I said ... What if you broke a leg?? The woman said "SOooo airlift me to a hospital ... I'm insured for that"!!!  Uhm ... WHAT aircraft/helicopter do you know that can make an approx. 900 roundtrip without fueling up????  Huh???  Seriously people it is for your own good!!!  SMH

On 9/29/2022 at 7:00 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

When the scuttles were put up on the dining saloon tables, and any form of soup was removed from the menu then it was starting to get annoying 🙂

Heavy pitching causing heavy spray - or greenies - over the open bridge wings was a pain especially when trying to take sights. 🤨

Single hull tanker where the entire ship ahead of the house disappears under green water.

• Like 1

We were on Pride going back to Baltimore and had to pass through the remnants of a nor'easter. 50 knot plus winds and the waves that go with it. I felt right at home (another Navy vet, serving on an LST and a DE/FF) but my travel mates weren't very happy. One swore off of cruising as a result.

Edited by sparks1093

We had a hurricane affect our cruise in 2004, and could not get back to Fort Lauderdale for 2 days. At one point the ship's Captain took us closer to the storm so that passengers could get cell service to call their families and/or travel agents and/or airlines. It was not terrible, but the seas were somewhat rough.

DW (who never misses a chance to swim) swam in the pool in the morning, and there were huge waves. By the afternoon, they drained the pools.

I was on one of the CCL Panamax-sized ships, and we got two days' worth of a winter Caribbean storm. Seas eight to ten feet, which isn't huge by most standards, but they cancelled my scuba shore excursion in Roatán, and deployed the barf bags in all the stairwells. I take Bonine for the duration of a cruise and I had no problems. It became a little hard to walk a straight line down the hallway and I would occasionally drift into the wall a bit but I suspect the Cheers! package had at least part of the blame for that 😉🍸