How much OBC should I have? What's normal?

zitsky

I'm not really asking how much should I have.  More asking what's normal.  I just booked an 11 day cruise on the Beyond.  TA is giving me a few hundred in OBC but, I think, nothing from Celebrity.  I'm familiar with booking on the website, and I remember what it looks like when you have OBC available to use.  I did just book this a few days ago.  Should I check in a few days to see if I have anything?

If I don't have any, then I don't.  I still want the booking.

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

OBC goes with the advertised 'program' or the 'suite'....none lately for other cabin categories, unless provided by a TA.

What do you mean “advertised program”?  I have some from TA.  No I am not in a suite.  I am in Aqua class.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

What do you mean “advertised program”?  I have some from TA.  No I am not in a suite.  I am in Aqua class.

You've posted far more than me (7K posts)  in a comparatively short time, so no doubt you know what an 'advertised' program is and what OBC goes with a suite.   You must have the answer to most of your questions or know how to search.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Currently the  only category that comes with OBC is Suites.  If you book on board then you can get OBC depending on the length and cabin category.  

Under the recent promotions there was no OBC for  booking Aqua or below.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Although a regular Aqua Class booking include the “All included”, you do not get OBC with the AI unless you are in the Retreat.

Sometimes Celebrity offers a special that includes a booking OBC.  You can also receive Celebrity OBC as a shareholder.  Without a special, Celebrity does not include any OBC.

Of course many TA’s offer refundable OBC as an incentive for a booking.  The OBC will not show up on line nor can it be used prior to boarding.  With my TA this about is around 8-10%.

14 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Although a regular Aqua Class booking include the “All included”, you do not get OBC with the AI unless you are in the Retreat.

Sometimes Celebrity offers a special that includes a booking OBC.  You can also receive Celebrity OBC as a shareholder.  Without a special, Celebrity does not include any OBC.

Of course many TA’s offer refundable OBC as an incentive for a booking.  The OBC will not show up on line nor can it be used prior to boarding.  With my TA this about is around 8-10%.

Thank you for that.  I've only cruised a handful of times but I've usually gotten OBC from my TA.  On the last booking I canceled, I had some OBC from Celebrity.  Both the last booking and this one were pretty basic Aqua class bookings.  So I'm not sure why I'd get OBC from Celebrity the last time but not this time.  Obviously a "program" expired.

This isn't a big deal.   

When I book a inside cabin on a 7 day cruise for $399 pp I expect to get $500 pp from the TA, $400 pp from X along with my stock benefit OBC and OBC for using a future cruise certificate plus all the perks.

I never get all of that so that is one of many reasons I don’t and never have booked a inside cabin.

My TA told me that it is unbelievable the amount of people that call and think that they will get most of the above and get irate because of all the stories they hear about fantastic cruise rates when he tells them they are dreaming.  They think that because they spend close to a $1000 the TA should give them more than that in OBC 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

9 minutes ago, SusieV said:

TA OBC won't show up precruise in the planner, if that's what you're asking. Only OBC from Celebrity.

This post is about OBC from Celebrity.  Which I now understand depends on the specific promotion I book and is not guaranteed.

1 hour ago, miched said:

When I book a inside cabin on a 7 day cruise for $399 pp I expect to get $500 pp from the TA, $400 pp from X along with my stock benefit OBC and OBC for using a future cruise certificate plus all the perks.

I never get all of that so that is one of many reasons I don’t and never have booked a inside cabin.

My TA told me that it is unbelievable the amount of people that call and think that they will get most of the above and get irate because of all the stories they hear about fantastic cruise rates when he tells them they are dreaming.  They think that because they spend close to a $1000 the TA should give them more than that in OBC 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Ok.  I had to read your post a few times.  You need /s.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I appreciate the helpful comments.  Posting on a website does not make me an expert on cruising or what "programs" a cruise line offers.  

Since you have already chosen your cruise/travel agency and booked this post is just for future reference.  But while X does not normally offer OBC (except for some suites and during special promotions) the amount of OBC given by cruise/travel agents does vary.  It can often be worthwhile to shop around among several reputable high volume cruise agencies for the best deals.  

Hank

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thank you for that.  I've only cruised a handful of times but I've usually gotten OBC from my TA.  On the last booking I canceled, I had some OBC from Celebrity.  Both the last booking and this one were pretty basic Aqua class bookings.  So I'm not sure why I'd get OBC from Celebrity the last time but not this time.  Obviously a "program" expired.

This isn't a big deal.   

Agree you are asking what the regulars think was a silly question.  OBC from Celebrity varies from program to program as you well know.  "Normal" is zero.  Special sales are whatever they offer.  Programs last anywhere from one day to a couple months then change. Am positive you know that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm not really asking how much should I have.  More asking what's normal. 

"I'm not really asking how much should I have "--- Oh yes you are.

7.2K posts -- and you ask a question like this instead of Who's on Board or What time is the 7pm show??

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you book onboard this chart describes the OBC you should receive.

image.thumb.png.cb0b94276e833d82973b3c95783a1967.png

I realize this doesn’t apply to me but thanks.  What about the people who say “it depends”?  Is this OBC from Celebrity?

I got OBC from booking in a suite and an additional $200 because the Celebrity agent made an error quoting an upgrade and made up for it with the credit. I also got OBC after a price drop. 
my total was $850 I think.