Booked a Cruise - For the ship and not the itinerary!

I have an upcoming cruise booked on Oasis - not because of the itinerary (NY->Port Canaveral-> Nassau-> Coco Cay) but because of the ship:  Oasis.  We loved Harmony last month as our first Oasis class ship, and we are looking forward to doing another Oasis ship (this one with embarkation within driving distance from home).    I was telling a coworker about this upcoming cruise and he was like: "other than Coco Cay, those ports kinda suck!")   He is right, but I don't care.  We have a balcony, love the clubs, and will be doing unlimited dining!   Has anyone else booked a cruise primarily because of the ship?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

Has anyone else booked a cruise primarily because of the ship?

Tons of people.

We live an hour from PC and just sail whatever ships are there b/c it's an hour drive. Been to several ports enough times that we don't even get off. We're happy to just be cruising and going to Cococay.

Along those lines, we did a B2B with nothing but Nassau (which we don't care for at all) and Cococay in July so we could go to Cococay twice and otherwise just enjoy the ship. We're doing another 4-nighter on the same ship/itinerary in 11 days b/c it was super cheap.

Everyone has their preferences. Different strokes...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Tons of people.

We live an hour from PC and just sail whatever ships are there b/c it's an hour drive. Been to several ports enough times that we don't even get off. We're happy to just be cruising and going to Cococay.

Ditto this!!!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Tons of people.

Along those lines, we did a B2B with nothing but Nassau (which we don't care for at all) and Cococay in July so we could go to Cococay twice and otherwise just enjoy the ship. We're doing another 4-nighter on the same ship/itinerary in 11 days b/c it was super cheap.

Everyone has their preferences. Different strokes...

what was said...i just booked one because it is a birthday and I wanted 150 Central Park food for my special dinner..

• Like 3

I've always booked for the itinerary first, ship second. But my next cruise is for the ship (Symphony). I've never done Oasis class before, so I'm excited to try it. And since the itinerary is Western Caribbean, I may or may not even get off the ship other than to walk around a bit, maybe lay on a beach for an hour or two, but then head back to the ship.

I'm putting a deposit down today for a 12 day cruise next year out of Singapore that ends in Japan. It's on the Spectrum of the Seas, which doesn't look like a ship I'll particularly enjoy for 12 days, but I'm doing it for the itinerary. 

• Like 1

I'm on Voyager soon... and even though I really love the New England/Canada itinerary, I didn't book it for that.

Voyager has been on my bucket list for a few years because I want to "close out the class"... meaning I've been on Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Adventure. 

Non-cruisers wouldn't understand.  lol

• Like 6

I try to get itineraries that interest me, like at least 1 or 2 stops that I would enjoy, but I tend to agree, I mainly book due to the ship. I'm not thrilled with our Dec cruise itinerary but I love Allure and it will be my 15 year old's first cruise, so I'm excited to share in the experience of this big ship with him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nabalab said:

I'm on Voyager soon... and even though I really love the New England/Canada itinerary, I didn't book it for that.

Voyager has been on my bucket list for a few years because I want to "close out the class"... meaning I've been on Explorer, Mariner, Navigator, and Adventure. 

Non-cruisers wouldn't understand.  lol

If you waited just another month you could have taken Voyager out of San Juan and gotten the good ports while you're at it. 

• Like 1

Just now, ARandomTraveler said:

If you waited just another month you could have taken Voyager out of San Juan and gotten the good ports while you're at it. 

Thank you, but we're actually okay.  We're able to drive to Boston, and like I mentioned we do love the "northern" itinerary.

• Like 1

We normally book for the itinerary, do lots of 3 night cruises on Freedom since we live in Florida.  Cruising out of San Juan is our favorite for 7 nights as we love the Southern Caribbean and the port intensive cruises.  Doing Oasis in Dec again, and booked Western for the Itin and Oasis so we could be back on the Oasis Class ship again.  

1 hour ago, BobNoxious said:

I have an upcoming cruise booked on Oasis - not because of the itinerary (NY->Port Canaveral-> Nassau-> Coco Cay) but because of the ship:  Oasis.  We loved Harmony last month as our first Oasis class ship, and we are looking forward to doing another Oasis ship (this one with embarkation within driving distance from home).    I was telling a coworker about this upcoming cruise and he was like: "other than Coco Cay, those ports kinda suck!")   He is right, but I don't care.  We have a balcony, love the clubs, and will be doing unlimited dining!   Has anyone else booked a cruise primarily because of the ship?  

We are doing the same itinerary next month on Anthem.  Agree the ports kind of suck but wanted to try a Quantum Class as it's the only class we haven't been on.  Also, since it's over the Thanksgiving holidays, flights to Florida are insane.   We are taking adult sons and 16-year-old grandson on their first cruise. I want to make sure there is plenty to do and they'll enjoy it.  (Fingers Crossed).  We typically book for itinerary, but this time is for the ship.

We too book for the ship not the itinerary. Love Oasis class and like staying on the ship while it is

in port.  May get off is the port has shopping close by, but have done all the excursions we're interested in doing in the Caribbean.  Do get off at Cococay.  Going on the Wonder in January and hope to book the

Icon when it becomes available. 

I also book for the ship and not the itinerary, BUT if I can, I try to choose the best itinerary in the time frame I can go.  I have a 4 day on Oasis coming up, I would have preferred to book longer, but I had a very specific 7 day period I could cruise and this one fell into that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobNoxious said:

We typically sail oasis class.  If you’ve cruised much, you aren’t doing oasis class for the ports.  Your doing it for the ship and the ports are secondary.