The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 14th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Be Bald and Free Day, National Dessert Day, and World Egg Day

In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Croquetas de bacalao
Drink of the Day - Sunset Martini
Wine of the Day - Freire Lobo 2020 Vigno Branco White (Dão) Portuga
Destination of the Day - Ensenada, Mexico

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 10/16

Koningsdam

Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Chiapas, Chiapas Mexico 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii 07:00 - 23:00

Oosterdam

Kusadasi, Ephesus, Turkey 07:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 10/15

Volendam

Naples, Italy 08:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal eta 10/18

Zuiderdam

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea

1014World.thumb.png.3342964e9a4a7e72355c387af2f6ee84.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another cool, wet morning.  I hope it warms up a bit this afternoon.  Lots of leaves down already but the trees are very pretty.

Bald and free day?  Didn't we have something like that recently?  Oh well, bald is beautiful.

My hubby can get behind Dessert Day, I guess I'll have to do some baking. 🙂  I love eggs.

I like the quote.

I'm not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

I'm sure I'll like the drink and the wine.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the TGIF report Rich.  I thought we had Bald and Free day a couple of days ago.  I like eggs in moderation, especially the custom omelets on a BGB, and I LOVE deserts.  A bit of an interesting quote from Twain.  I have been to Ensenada just once, on the Carnival Inspiration.  Not sure what the meal is but I'll probably pass while I wait to see what Tina  @0106 says.  My alternative is chilled Arjou Pear soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 14,  2017.

dishes14.jpg

Today’s care list:

A wave of police killings
Heartgrove brother laid to rest

Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Marshhawk’s dentist
A new Ellie Rose photo
msmayor helping her daughter with postpartum anxiety
A day off and evening of music for Marshhawk
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Quartzite Cruiser DH back home walking
1 Day for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Interesting days and quote.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

We visited Ensenada which was our last port of call on our Hawaiian cruise from/to San Francisco December 2019.

I hope everyone is well.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report Rich.  I thought we had Bald and Free day a couple of days ago.  I like eggs in moderation, especially the custom omelets on a BGB, and I LOVE deserts.  A bit of an interesting quote from Twain.  I have been to Ensenada just once, on the Carnival Inspiration.  Not sure what the meal is but I'll probably pass while I wait to see what Tina  @0106 says.  My alternative is chilled Arjou Pear soup, Prime Rib Au Jus, and Apple Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October 14,  2017.

dishes14.jpg

Today’s care list:

A wave of police killings
Heartgrove brother laid to rest

Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Marshhawk’s dentist
A new Ellie Rose photo
msmayor helping her daughter with postpartum anxiety
A day off and evening of music for Marshhawk
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Quartzite Cruiser DH back home walking
1 Day for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for today's lists.

Graham.

• Like 11

Happy Friday

Sunset Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Orange Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
1/2 part Lime Juice
Orange Twist

Instructions
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 6.54.41 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Busy day ahead. Outside of house and concrete is getting pressured washed today. Culligan is coming by to replace filter in water reverse osmosis unit. Salt being delivered for water softener, pick up prescriptions, pick up neighbors at airport, continue packing. Think I’ll go back to bed for a little more shut eye.

Last night’s weather forecasted that next Tuesday low temps will be in thirties and highs in 60’s. For neighbors with pools I believe the season is coming to an end. The good thing the big pool, Gulf of Mexico is cooling down!

Thanks for the reports, list and post. Have a great day.

image.jpeg.cb740f3d17c513371c32a9bf4545daef.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 12

Happy to research Croquetas de Bacalao as I prepare for my Spanish Farewell transatlantic cruise!

Bacalao is the Spanish name for salted, dried codfish. Salted dried codfish is used in many cuisines ranging from the Caribbean up through northern Europe. The salt, coupled with the drying process, helps to preserve the fish and extend its shelf life.

Salt cod must be soaked overnight before cooking to remove the salt. Place it in a bowl with cold water to cover and soak for at least 24 hours, changing the water three or four times. (In Baltimore, we soak salt cod in milk overnight in the refrigerator.)

Spanish croquetas are not made from mashed potatoes but from a flavored thick béchamel, which is made in advance and then rolled in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fried until golden brown. The outer layer stays crispy whilst the inside becomes oozy and creamy.

Salt Cod croquettes recipe

https://spanishsabores.com/salt-cod-croquettes-croquetas-de-bacalao/

Croquetas de Bacalao

https://www.bascofinefoods.com/spanish-recipes/croquetas-de-bacalao/

Croquetas de Bacalao (Cod Croquettes) Recipe

https://fortheloveofsazon.com/croquetas-de-bacalao-cod-croquettes-recipe/

A bonus recipe.  Coddies are a Baltimore tradition.  Baltimore coddies, not to be confused with codfish cakes, are hand-formed, slightly flattened potato cakes flavored with salt cod and other seasonings and then deep-fried. They are traditionally served at room temperature, sandwiched between two saltine crackers with a dollop of yellow mustard. Sometimes referred to as the poor man's crab cake, this uniquely Baltimore food could be found at neighborhood soda fountains and delis all over town beginning in early 1920s. A bit of history is contained in this recipe.

http://www.vintagerecipeblog.com/2017/12/baltimore-coddies-recipe.html

Baltimore%2BCoddies.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Glad you are enjoy your cruise. It is great to see pictures of the Dailyite gang!  Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 

Last night with my neighbors was fun. I have too much food left over though. Off to the gym. Then I need to come home and put stuff away and do some laundry.  

6D0337E8-FF0E-4823-8EFE-F290E648E672.jpeg.9f22e8ed417f217d456d3b0e771f3139.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Freire Lobo 2020 Vigno Branco White (Dão) Portugal

This white blend from Portugal sounds interesting. I would love to try it. Consumers and reviewers give it excellent reviews. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at a very reasonable $13.00.

Distributor notes 

VARIETAL: Encruzado (50%), Bical (35%), Cercial (15%). Elisa grows all of the grapes for her wines - nothing is purchased. VINEYARD: Located in the center of Portugal, and influenced by the Serra da Estrela, the highest mountain on Portugal's mainland, the Dão DOC was created in 1908. It was the first demarcated region for non-fortified wines in Portugal. In addition to Serra da Estrela, the climate is largely influenced by the Caramulo, Lousã, Buçaco, Nave and Açor Mountains, which surround the Dão region, protecting the vineyards from sea winds, and creating large diurnal swings. The soils are dominated by granite, one of the main contributions to the minerality of its wines. VINIFICATION: Stainless steel fermentation and aging prior to being bottled. Elisa pays particular attention to maintaining soils with biodynamic / organic farming practices, essentially using the help of Serra da Estrela Bordaleira sheep. Controlling vegetative growth with sheep - traditionally known as animal weed control.

90 Wine Enthusiast 
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all...on what for many is a workday, for me it is a mental health day.  I've had a very rough few weeks at work and told my boss yesterday I was 'out of gas' and taking today off, and I mean OFF.  My out of office message says that I have no access to phone or email and I'll get back to them next week.  For now, in my jammies and slippers sipping my first hot cup of coffee and just relaxing.

No idea what today's meal is, but the martini @summer slope describes sounds delicious.  Roy's alternative had me at chilled pear soup though...love those fruit soups.

The sun should be out today and temps warming up to the 70's, so a good day for a nice walk around the neighborhood to catch up on my podcasts.  The exercise and fresh air will do me good.  Later, I'll work on getting packed for a brief weekend trip down to the DC area.  My niece's baby shower is tomorrow, and it's going to be a very special celebration.  It's planned as a 'display shower', something I never heard of before.  We're not supposed to wrap the gifts and instead they will simply be displayed with tags to show who the giver is.  This way, it's far more of a social event where we can eat and chat and mingle with everyone yet still see all the wonderful gifts people have given.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  It's a chilly 45F but will be sunny and 75 later on.  Next week we will see some lows in the 30's which is shocking!  I want fall to stay and winter to stay away until at least January.  

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Hope you are having a wonderful time on that cruise Rich along with all the other Dailyites.  We did have a bald day recently but Be Bald and Free sounds fun for some.  (please not me!)  Love my desserts, and am a fan of eggs too.   Another salted fish menu suggestion.  I have to pass on that.  The martini sounds okay but I don't know about the wine.  Ensenada, Mexico is a stop on many Hawaii cruises.  I've been there twice on Princess Hawaii cruises in 2007 and 2009.  Many people don't even get off the ship!  This is the first time Ensenada has been our port of the day.

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  I'll have your alternate menu suggestion though!  It's sad we have to even discuss the wave of police killings.  I heard yesterday that there have been 12 police officers killed since MONDAY!  All due to anti-police rhetoric and "progressive" district attorneys/prosecutors and judges.  This has to stop!  Prayers for all of the fallen police officers and their families and colleagues.  Prayers also for the remainder of the Care list, my neighbor Linda who is still not home, and the people affected by the hurricanes and the attacks on Ukrainians.  Cheers to the large group of Dailyites on cruises, and others celebrating good news.  

A few photos from my 2007 Diamond Princess stop in Ensenada.  The huge flag we've all seen when our ship docks there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKy_JMy1eErEQSYTyXIKMWv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799460

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGiAlPXm7_N9vTZn7ZCN_0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799468

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTN1XsAwNIbsKG1SAUtS4N?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799469

Acting silly as we strolled the streets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvS42nIrUdzFWm2eAfwRUZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363800069

And a seal playing on the shore near the ship00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5l0rNFD0Xdr6jxFVu8ChZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363800037

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIM0LWj9LLUznXL1rVZJ15E?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1363799450

Have a great day and please be safe!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!

My apologies last night for my rant....  Guess I should lay low for a few days, but alas that isn't me.

Todays concert is at the Carlos Museum on the Emory campus.  The concert is free, but the parking is not.  Oh well.  The description of the performance is pianist Alex Chein for a performance of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and more works for solo piano.

After the concert,  we will do lunch with our friends (one is sick, so if they dont show up, lunch plans can be changed) and then get my new glasses ordered.  

Years ago DH and I were in Belize, we were doing a walk around town on our own excursion.  Our plan was to get to the museum, and we did, and thoroughly enjoyed it..  I asked the rep at the museum if they would be willing to send any of their exhibits to other museums around the world, and they said yes, but no one had asked.  I got in touch with the Carlos Museum (which is an antiquities museum) and they said they would be interested, and I gave them the name of the rep and the museum, and the rest is history.  Belize antiquities came to Atlanta.  Yay!   

I did want to sleep late, it is a day off, but at 6:46 while smothered in bed by cats, one of them started hurling.  I got up, but didn't want to wake DH so I left.  Had to go get shoes before going out to feed Fawn, so I turned on the light, and the bed was covered!  I pulled off the top "binkie" and will head to the wash.  DH was trying to hang on to it, and asked why I was being so mean....

@0106 Thank you for the recipe.  I think this is one food that I need to try before I find out what it is.

Looks good.....

c8fba9bb12059267a4d958383c0f818f--funny-cat-quotes-funny-cats.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Tina for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam in foggy Sydney, NS.  I’m not a big dessert eater and have eaten more dessert this cruise than ever before.  My favorite has been the chocolate soufflé both in the Pinnacle Grill and MDR. 
D16492F8-6A4F-4A39-83F4-CA8B6C77DAFC.thumb.jpeg.9329032a219772f65581fc26d6573101.jpeg

I’m taking a day off eggs today and having congee for breakfast. Although the cooks at Club Orange have finally perfected my 2 egg scramble with cream cheese and spinach. 

I thought we had bacalau in Barcelona but can’t find a picture. We did have it in a sandwich in Venice but I didn’t care for it that way. The cafe owner was shocked when I ordered it and even asked me if I knew what it was.   It’s the sandwich on the right, the left one is tuna. 
D4C40D92-6F92-49A3-8522-77EC7FD8A7B6.thumb.jpeg.cd3f0e241c392a40ffc685c4f72a61d4.jpeg

I would never try to make croquetas bacalau though. 

I have been to Ensenada several times, most recently a year ago on our California Coastal cruise on the Koningsdam. 
052F9287-D21C-456F-A7D7-218A6D3AD722.thumb.jpeg.d05c7694646a83aa2a7ba54e039a9da6.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but did have eggs for breakfast.  No idea what’s for dinner tonight.  It’s a rainy here in New England.  This morning’s weather report said we got almost 2” overnight.  The suitcase has been pulled down from the attic, mouse traps empty, and I hope to start gathering items to pack in between meetings today.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 21

Thanks Rich and all who are posting from a cruise. It's kind that you are sharing your adventure and also not losing touch with your Daily family.  Thanks all who are also sharing, whether traveling or at home. Should be a fun day in town with an art walk in which they bring out the giant puppets that walk the streets. There seems to be a Greek and Latino fair also in town. So much going on. Be safe and have fun. 

• Like 20

Happy Friday!  We are off for me to get a screening bone scan and then will drive around and enjoy my colors.  My wine finally came at 2 pm so it was too late to go driving about.  Very chilly here and many more days like that in the forecast.   I love eggs and have them for breakfast several times a week but I really miss my farm eggs that I can find up at the cabin.  All males are hirsute around here but DSIL has severe alopecia so she wears a wig a lot.  It came after a severe "cold" that she had last winter.  No vaxers probably would never own up to having Covid.   I love a good library too so thank you for the great quote Mark Twain.  Thank you Rich for the Fleet and Daily Reports!   @rafinmdthank you for our care and celebration report daily.  I also appreciate your sunrises and your meals from you past cruises.  makes us more eager to get on a ship and have great meals without having to cook!  @0106thank you for the salt cod recipes and happy memories of the Coddies in Baltimore!   @summer slopethank you for all the great cocktail recipes daily.  Today's looks tasty!  @cat shepardThanks for researching the wines for us.  Glad I am not an alcoholic or you guys may have me grabbing a bottle.    

Prayers for all on our care list, the lost police in CT and now in Raleigh, NC.   Prayers for all who lost their life in that shooting.  Prayers for all in Ukraine and that they can have success running Putin's gang out!   Never have been to Ensenada so looking forward to the photos!!   Have a great day!  

centaurea and freind '14.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. We have a lot of baldness in the family  and most of us like eggs. I like the recipe and may try it someday. Tonight we are having a crustless quiche with mushrooms and spinach. We were in Ensenada with DD and DSIL at the end of our favorite cruise, San Diego to Hawaii.

I am waiting for new photos of Camilla to come from her grandmother. My niece started a new job as a nurse practitioner which leaves her with very little time. I have nagged her twice.

Terry

• Like 20