The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday October 18th, 2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon again.  As I said it was a busy morning, but now I am caught up on the Daily.

We were a day ahead for meatloaf appreciation since that was dinner last night.  I make my mother's recipe, and we both enjoy it.  We can get two dinners out of it, and I can have my meatloaf sandwiches for breakfast since DH does not like it as a sandwich, or if I'm feeling really, really generous, we can get three dinners out of it.  I tried a different recipe for a few years that included red and green peppers, but I never really liked it.  Now it's the basic meat, cracker crumbs, milk, eggs, salt, peppier, and sage.  The sage is what makes it taste so good.  DH has never worn a beard, for which I'm thankful.  In about 1956, my father grew a goatee for the 75th celebration of the founding of our hometown.  He was the only one in the family that liked it, and it was weird since it grew out black in the center with white strips on either side.  Now, all of the above was probably information overload, but at least it was not political.  😁

The quote brings a smile to my face every time I read it. 😄

Today, we are sort of in sync with the meal.  I'd already planned on making pizza tonight since we have a cool day (61F now).  However, there will be NO arugula on the pizza@marshhawk  I'm another who does not like it because of the bitterness.  Ours will be a loaded pizza with a lot of pepperoni, cheese, onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, bacon, mild Italian sausage and black olives.  The only things I leave out are the kitchen sink and anchovies.  Sometimes, DH adds jalapeno slices to his pizza.  

One reason I was late, I discovered I did not have enough cheese 😱 for the pizza, so another quick trip to the store.  When I got back, I cooked the sausage, made the tomato sauce and prepped the toppings.  I'll make the dough a little later, and after it's risen, all I have to do is assemble the pizza.

We'll pass on the drink, but would like my key lime in a pie.  Maybe tomorrow.  The wine sounds nice, and I would like to try it.

@grapau27  Graham sending you and especially Pauline good wishes on her Mam's fourth memory day.  BTW, I agree with @Sharon in AZ Sharon about where you are, but I'll keep quiet too.  Your dinner looks lovely.  Give Pauline an extra hug from me.

@smitty34877   Terry, thank you for asking about DH.  His progress is slower than we expected, but there are some signs things are beginning to head in the right direction.  Today is the first day he has complained about pain in his upper right leg, while the lower part is still numb.  I hate that he is in pain, and hope the pain meds and the muscle relaxer are working.  At the same time, I look at the pain as a sign that the numbness is beginning to lessen, as least from the surgery.  It will be after the second surgery next Monday, that there should start to be real improvement.  That is when the surgeon will do a laminectomy to remove the bone spurs causing the spinal stenosis, and also stabilize the two vertebrae.  The doctor told us last week not to expect too much improvement until after the second procedure.  For now, DH is spending a lot of time sleeping.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, first, I'm glad you both got your booster and flu shot.  Our condolences to you and Dennis on the sudden lost of your friend.  Also, condolences to Beverly's DH and her family and friends.  

@aliaschief  Best wishes for smooth flights, and that you get some sleep on the plane.  We'll be looking forward to reports from the river cruise when you have internet.

@MISTER 67  Congratulations on shooting 2 below your age yesterday.  Glad the water heater has been replaced, but ouch on having to replace the a/c too.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels home today.  I was glad to read that the insurance company had arranged an apartment in Hilton Head for you.  From looking at Google maps, it looks like you'll be fairly close to your home.

@ger_77  Gerry, great news that KLM found a flight for you even if your layovers are longer.

@durangoscots  Susan, please wish your DS a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us.  Glad you got your crab cake fix.

@HAL Sailer  Melissa, I'm very glad you and your DH had a nice visit with his DS, and had a belated birthday celebration with her.  Please wish her a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us.  it was good that your DH and his DS had a good visit and a frank talk.  It's a blessing that today he remembers the visit and the time he spend with his sister.

@ottahand7  Good that you got the wine cooler replaced.  We need to keep our wine happy.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope they have the Pfizer booster for you tomorrow.

@summer slope  I'm glad the malaria meds saga has been resolved.  Sending positive thoughts for negative tests in three days.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like good meatloaf, although I rarely make it myself. I can appreciate no beard day; there are a few friends I like better without a beard, but like them on others. . Information Overload is a real thing! Funny quote! I like the meal (but without arugala, lol), drink (since I love key lime pie!) and wine.

I've never been to Kirkwall, Scotland.

It is cold! Brrrr. We're not getting past about 45F today. And it just started raining, but it sounds like sleet 😕. Then possible snow tonight and tomorrow, but I don't think much accumulation. I did turn the heat on last night, but low, just to take the chill off the house. It was a busy morning. I went to the nearby hospital and got my abdominal X-Ray and US done. Then went for blood work and it took almost an hour to get that done! I had the results by the time I got home. Liver enzymes are still a bit elevated. BFF is coming over later to watch the last 2 episodes of The Rings of Power together.

@Seasick Sailor @SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday!

@kazu I hope you can get both shots tomorrow. I get both on Friday.

@Sharon in AZ I've never had a lobster roll, even though I went to school in Boston. It looks good.

@grapau27 Thinking of Pauline and you on this 4th memory of her Mam's passing. That's a lovely meal you two are sharing. 

@0106 Thanks for the recipes.

@StLouisCruisers So sorry to hear of your friend's DW's sudden passing. Prayers for your friend, and Beverly's family and friends.

@aliaschief Safe travels.

@MISTER 67 Sorry to hear about more appliance woes. 

@Cruzin Terri Have a safe trip home.

@ger_77 Good to hear you have a new flight.

@HAL Sailer I am glad your DH got to visit with Ardis; it sounds like it was a blessing for them both. Prayers for them both, and you as well.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the Kirkwall photos. I hope DH makes steady progress towards recovering, especially after the 2nd surgery.

@ktbraun I'm sure it's upsetting to relive that terrible day. It's similar here with the Tree of Life synagogue shooting, although the trial has not yet started.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you Vanessa.

• Like 5

Made it to Atlanta with no problems. Only three more hours to flight. Delta Sky Lounge has picked up there catering. Upon entering we were handed glasses of bubbly. Lot’s  more free food selections and they even have a chef out here making chicken tacos.

We have traveled so much this year that this flight will get me to Delta Platinum. Unfortunately, the planes are flying full and it’s getting rarer to upgrade.

Take care.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good evening all, I hope everyone had a great day. It’s supposed to be at freezing tonight. Brought some of the plants in from the porch and yard, hope I can keep them thru the winter.

Yesterday, had to take Ninja back to the vet for more blood work. His red blood count is low, she believes it could be from his thyroid medication, which is working but wants to be sure. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 
Especially our birthday girls and @grapau27on Pauline’s Mam’s Remembrance Day.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Tonight's memory meal in honour of Pauline's mam Ruth.

IMG_20221018_181111.jpg

IMG_20221018_184418.jpg

IMG_20221018_190925.jpg

IMG_20221018_190944.jpg

Graham, I am sure Pauline very much appreciated everything you have done for her on this difficult day. Please add me to the list of those sending hugs for you both.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. It's been a busy day-coffee with friends this morning, lunch out with family and dinner with sister tomorrow night. @Seasick Sailorhope your day is wonderful too.

Yum to meatloaf sandwiches with BBQ sauce.

And I have an arugula story worthy of RedneckBob. I think it was a Carnival cruise. DH was inside getting his lunch and I was out on the pool deck ordering my prosciutto and arugula pizza. I was then heading inside to eat and going through the doors, the air is gusting and my arugula is flying everywhere, mostly into the pool. Luckily it was a bit late for lunch and no one saw my blushing red face.

@StLouisCruisersso sorry to hear about your friend-such a sad accident.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. It's been a busy day-coffee with friends this morning, lunch out with family and dinner with sister tomorrow night. @Seasick Sailorhope your day is wonderful too.

Yum to meatloaf sandwiches with BBQ sauce.

And I have an arugula story worthy of RedneckBob. I think it was a Carnival cruise. DH was inside getting his lunch and I was out on the pool deck ordering my prosciutto and arugula pizza. I was then heading inside to eat and going through the doors, the air is gusting and my arugula is flying everywhere, mostly into the pool. Luckily it was a bit late for lunch and no one saw my blushing red face.

@StLouisCruisersso sorry to hear about your friend-such a sad accident.

Thank you Susie.  Very sad.

I can just see your arugula flying backwards into the pool. 🍕 How embarrassing!  Anyway glad to hear you are having such a great birthday week.  Hoping, like you, that @Seasick Sailor is also enjoying her special time with her sister.🎂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Graham, I am sure Pauline very much appreciated everything you have done for her on this difficult day. Please add me to the list of those sending hugs for you both.

Thank you so much for your hugs and kind words.

Graham 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon from the Noordam

We just spent 4 wonderful days in Hawaii and are now at sea headed to Bora Bora. Yes the itinerary changed again. There are a few more changes coming up but all is well. 
     I received some bad news from home yesterday that a long time friend has passed away. She has been slipping but her death is unexpected. They are doing a Celebration of life and her son has requested a say a few words. So I am going to email my words to my nephew who will read it at the service. 
      Service on board is wonderful . Very friendly and helpful crew. Some in masks.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning from the Nieuw Statendam as we approach Boston. The internet is slow this morning. I can see the buildings in the distance on the bow camera. Yes, our TV is finally working!  

Yesterday was cold and cloudy and it drizzled all day. We got off the ship about  1:15 after we went through immigration. We just went out for lunch, the lobster rolls were good. The tiny place was packed and a nice couple from the AOTS ship asked us to share their table inside because it was too cold outside  672EF6F6-367F-49E2-B731-5B7005A77615.thumb.jpeg.4b3d19840dd490a67dfa489646f9b3d2.jpeg

I was surprised about the pickle. Craig also ordered mussels. 
A1D6CFCD-0346-4E65-8D9A-8D6B201BA3E2.thumb.jpeg.161a4d0e0d5bbb491caec6558f104a76.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

945AA26F-34E5-4A8F-BD9F-2C0BA8839757.jpeg

I was able to watch you sail out of Boston this afternoon.  The NS looked quite lovely as the sun shone on her sail away!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

We just spent 4 wonderful days in Hawaii and are now at sea headed to Bora Bora. Yes the itinerary changed again. There are a few more changes coming up but all is well. 
     I received some bad news from home yesterday that a long time friend has passed away. She has been slipping but her death is unexpected. They are doing a Celebration of life and her son has requested a say a few words. So I am going to email my words to my nephew who will read it at the service. 

Charlene 

So sorry about your friend who passed away.  We both had bad news today concerning our friends.  It's nice you can send your words to your nephew to be read at the Celebration of Life.  Hope the cruise continues to be wonderful!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailor  and to @SusieKIslandGirl.

@ger_77  so pleased that you have new flights, better to have  longer layovers than shorter.

@StLouisCruisers sorry to read of the sudden death of your friend, sending our condolences.

@cunnorl condolences on the death of your friend. 

@HAL Sailer pleased that you had a successful visit to your SIL and that your DH remembers.

Another lovely sunny spring day, our new cat is enjoying time outdoors in the sun.

Thanks for all the daily reports.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Roy, did I miss where Sabine went or do you know she just took another job?

All I know is people on the Koningsdam were told she was no longer with the company.  I would not expect them to give out any additional details.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  I've mentioned that the healing process for DH is slow and will be so for awhile.  This afernoon, there was a set back.  Because the numbness in the right leg has been a problem, a nurse at the doctor's office suggested taking the muscle relaxer.   It turns out it didn’t do what she hoped.  Instead, relaxing the muscles made it where DH's legs could not support him, and he sank to the floor winding up in a strange position.  Thankfully, our neighbor came to the rescue and got him back in bed.  We called the surgeon's office and he wants an x-ray of DH's back to make sure there is no damage.  We'll get that at our PCP's office tomorrow afternoon.  Thursday morning i'll take the cd to Waco to the surgeon's office.  Right now Monday's surgery is still scheduled, but DH will have in hospital rehab for a while afterwards.  We both feel this will be the safest way to go.  I'm not strong enough to stop a fall or to get him up.  They will work on strengthening his muscles.  DH doesn't have any pain so thats good news.  It's not how we wanted things to go, but it could be worse.

6 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I was told last night that I had been exposed to covid earlier in the day, based on an antigen test, but since then the person has received a negative PCR test, so I don't know what to think. I came to the office this afternoon in order to compile material for a board meeting tonight, thinking that I'd be alone in the building, but two volunteers have since arrived, although they're working on something outdoors. There is laundry equipment in the building and I'm running a load since I'm no closer to having a new washing machine. I'll test myself tomorrow at noon, 48 hours after the exposure, and repeat the test later in the week. I would go home now, except that another volunteer has an appointment for a phone conversation in 20 minutes.

I'm sorry you were exposed to Covid.  I hope your tests are negative.

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening all, I hope everyone had a great day. It’s supposed to be at freezing tonight. Brought some of the plants in from the porch and yard, hope I can keep them thru the winter.

Yesterday, had to take Ninja back to the vet for more blood work. His red blood count is low, she believes it could be from his thyroid medication, which is working but wants to be sure. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 
Especially our birthday girls and @grapau27on Pauline’s Mam’s Remembrance Day.

I hope Ninja's blood tests give the vet the answers she is looking for.

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene 

I know you'll enjoy Bore Bora.  It's our favorite destination.  Our condolences to you on the loss of your friend.  Also, our condolences to your friend's family.  

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

a nurse at the doctor's office suggested taking the muscle relaxer.   It turns out it didn’t do what she hoped.  Instead, relaxing the muscles made it where DH's legs could not support him, and he sank to the floor winding up in a strange position. 

I'm sort of surprised that it did anything at all. When I was a kid, our old-fashioned family doctor gave a paper packet of so-called muscle relaxers -- actually sugar pills -- to any patient who reported back pain or a musculoskeletal problem. This wasn't because he suspected drug-seeking, but because he suspected malingering. I come from a family of hypochrondriacs, some of whom were actually sick but not in the ways that they thought, so I saw plenty of this.

29 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you. The reason for testing tomorrow is that I have an acupuncture appointment on Thursday that I would need to cancel.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I'm sort of surprised that it did anything at all. When I was a kid, our old-fashioned family doctor gave a paper packet of so-called muscle relaxers -- actually sugar pills -- to any patient who reported back pain or a musculoskeletal problem. This wasn't because he suspected drug-seeking, but because he suspected malingering. I come from a family of hypochrondriacs, some of whom were actually sick but not in the ways that they thought, so I saw plenty of this.

Thank you. The reason for testing tomorrow is that I have an acupuncture appointment on Thursday that I would need to cancel.

The muscle relaxers were  pretty potent, and were mainly prescribed if muscle spasms developed.  With the underlying numbness and muscle weakness from inactivity due sciatica, I think they were just enough to cause more weakness.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene 

Sorry to hear about your friend Charlene.

Our condolences for you and her family.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers , I was so saddened hearing about your friend Beverly. What a shocking loss and so sudden. I can’t imagine your grief reading the email. 

Thank you Sharon.  

12 hours ago, erewhon said:

Happy Birthday to @Seasick Sailor  and to @SusieKIslandGirl.

@ger_77  so pleased that you have new flights, better to have  longer layovers than shorter.

@StLouisCruisers sorry to read of the sudden death of your friend, sending our condolences.

@cunnorl condolences on the death of your friend. 

@HAL Sailer pleased that you had a successful visit to your SIL and that your DH remembers.

Another lovely sunny spring day, our new cat is enjoying time outdoors in the sun.

Thanks for all the daily reports.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Thank you for your condolences @erewhon.

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good evening.  I've mentioned that the healing process for DH is slow and will be so for awhile.  This afernoon, there was a set back.  Because the numbness in the right leg has been a problem, a nurse at the doctor's office suggested taking the muscle relaxer.   It turns out it didn’t do what she hoped.  Instead, relaxing the muscles made it where DH's legs could not support him, and he sank to the floor winding up in a strange position.  Thankfully, our neighbor came to the rescue and got him back in bed.  We called the surgeon's office and he wants an x-ray of DH's back to make sure there is no damage.  We'll get that at our PCP's office tomorrow afternoon.  Thursday morning i'll take the cd to Waco to the surgeon's office.  Right now Monday's surgery is still scheduled, but DH will have in hospital rehab for a while afterwards.  We both feel this will be the safest way to go.  I'm not strong enough to stop a fall or to get him up.  They will work on strengthening his muscles.  DH doesn't have any pain so thats good news.  It's not how we wanted things to go, but it could be worse.

I hope Ninja's blood tests give the vet the answers she is looking for.

I know you'll enjoy Bore Bora.  It's our favorite destination.  Our condolences to you on the loss of your friend.  Also, our condolences to your friend's family.  

Lenda

I'm surprised at this sudden setback for your DH.  I hope the x-ray doesn't show any new damage.  It's fortunate your neighbor could help you get him up off the floor.  Good luck today.

• Like 2