"jumping ship" to a new cruise line

DT1304

I have done numerous cruises on Royal Caribbean.

I did one cruise in between on another cruise line, and while I found the ship itself to be Beautiful, I preferred the whole cruise experience on Royal.

I am considering booking a cruise on a different cruise line completely, so that I can cruise at a different time of the year to the main Australian cruise season, but after not being as content when I switched from Royal last time, I am reluctant to try another cruise line again.

What are all your thoughts? Does the cruise line make a major difference to you or are you more concerned with the ports.

4 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

I did one cruise in between on another cruise line, and while I found the ship itself to be Beautiful, I preferred the whole cruise experience on Royal.

I am considering booking a cruise on a different cruise line completely, so that I can cruise at a different time of the year to the main Australian cruise season, but after not being as content when I switched from Royal last time, I am reluctant to try another cruise line again.

What are all your thoughts? Does the cruise line make a major difference to you or are you more concerned with the ports.

I think the cruise line is really important. It's good to find one that has a good 'fit' with your own tastes and needs. Having said that, it's good to branch out and try something new from time to time. I'm going to try Princess next year for the first time, based largely on what I've read on this board from the very keen Princess travellers but also because they frequently offer an around Australia itinerary which is on my list of things to do. When I'm thinking of trying a new line, I go to the board on CC for that line and check out what people are saying about it - and also how they're saying it! I like to choose a line where the people are friendly!

I have a mental list of things I don't want (lots of noisy kids) and also the things I must have (such as good food). Maybe if you make sure your new trial cruise line seems to fit your particular needs, you might be happier with the experiment?

What was it you didn't like about the last trial of a new line?

Although we primarily cruise on Princess we have cruised on other lines where it suited us. We did three NZ cruises on Celebrity, initially because Princess wasn't offering suitable Auckland to Sydney itineraries. We liked the ship so we booked twice more but the last cruise with them was very noisy so we fidn't book again. We tried Royal Caribbean, on Rhapsody. We enjoyed that cruise but a few things annoyed us and we don't like big cruise ship. We also did a last minute cruise on Carnival which had pluses and minuses. We're trying Holland America at Christmas.

I think the trick is approach each different cruise line with an open mind and be prepared to enjoy yourself.  

• Like 1

I've done several cruises with Royal, all of which I liked very much. Have done one cruise each with Princess and Carnival and neither were my taste or up to the standard I've experienced on Royal. Next, having said that, Celebrity and HAL vie for my affections. Both pretty much on par for service service IMHO . HAL often has slightly better itineraries and Celebrity just slightly in front on food and dining, MDR or buffet.

1 hour ago, DT1304 said:

Neither cruise line nor airline make a difference to my travel decisions.  

Cruiseline always itinerary, and size of ship,  airline price and level of service.   negative of this is you never reach any special benefits.  Positive of this cost is often less. 

• Like 1

I’ve cruised a lot on Royal & Princess and did a few on Carnival Spirit and quite enjoyed them and in a couple of weeks I’m trying out Carnival Splendor so I’ll see how that one goes……..I’ve noticed that Carnival wins hands for pricing and I cruise solo sometimes and I can do 2 cruises on Carnival and maybe one on Princess or Royal for the same price

• Like 1

Try them all. Different lines, different ships, different ports. Viva la difference.

Cruise lines spend a lot of money on loyalty programs to create a hook that makes it harder to switch brands. When I book, I have to juggle between the bonus of free drinks or free mini-bar & laundry.

I know what I like, but only by being disloyal. We have upcoming bookings on 3 different lines, for different reasons.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT1304 said:

I like Royal because it’s family friendly with some quality.

I'm always willing to give a new ship a go, which is why I'm on Pacific Encounter next month.

Ships coming to Oz that I'd like to try are Celebrity Edge, Resilient Lady and Brilliance of the Seas. I don't know if I would like them, but I'd like to find out.

But they only get one go, I don't come back for second opinions. There are too many ships in the sea for that. 😎

• Haha 1

It really comes down to your tastesI know people who love lines you would struggle to get me on again and others who hate the ones we love.

When I’m looking to try a new line I make sure it is an itinerary that I really like.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, DT1304 said:

Does the cruise line make a major difference to you or are you more concerned with the ports.

A fellow cruiser told me on one of our early cruises you never know what is out there if you don't go and try them out.

So we have slowly been working our way through the mass market cruise lines.

We mainly cruise with our prefered line but once a year try to sail on another one.

Later this year we are trying out Holland America for the first time.

Who knows it may become our favourite line.

We have enjoyed every cruise we have done and as yet have not found the 100% perfect ship but would love to take a little bit from this ship and a little bit from that one. 😄

• Like 1

While our favourite line is Princess, we very much like RCI too.  We did one disastrous 35 day cruise from Fremantle to Rome with MSC and in all honesty if I won another cruise on that line I would find someone I disliked intensely and give it to them.   

I think it's about finding a cruise line that as far as possible meets expectations.  I taken seriously advice from friends who have warned us off P & O and also Cunard.  We're casual people, we never do formal nights and eat in the MDR once in a blue moon.  We like to spend our sea days reading, engaging in any and every trivia session possible, attending destination lectures and generally relaxing either on our balcony or a less patronised deck.  In the evenings we prefer to watch a movie and occasionally if the show looks particularly good we'll go the early performance.  So, we're not party people or late night people and Princess / RCI suits us perfectly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

While our favourite line is Princess, we very much like RCI too.  We did one disastrous 35 day cruise from Fremantle to Rome with MSC and in all honesty if I won another cruise on that line I would find someone I disliked intensely and give it to them.   

I think it's about finding a cruise line that as far as possible meets expectations.  I taken seriously advice from friends who have warned us off P & O and also Cunard.  We're casual people, we never do formal nights and eat in the MDR once in a blue moon.  We like to spend our sea days reading, engaging in any and every trivia session possible, attending destination lectures and generally relaxing either on our balcony or a less patronised deck.  In the evenings we prefer to watch a movie and occasionally if the show looks particularly good we'll go the early performance.  So, we're not party people or late night people and Princess / RCI suits us perfectly.

I agree.  Know your type!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sewgood said:

A fellow cruiser told me on one of our early cruises you never know what is out there if you don't go and try them out.

So we have slowly been working our way through the mass market cruise lines.

We mainly cruise with our prefered line but once a year try to sail on another one.

Later this year we are trying out Holland America for the first time.

Who knows it may become our favourite line.

We have enjoyed every cruise we have done and as yet have not found the 100% perfect ship but would love to take a little bit from this ship and a little bit from that one. 😄

We're trying Holland America for the first time this year as well but I doubt it will become our favourite line for one very simple reason - US$ onboard currency.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're trying Holland America for the first time this year as well but I doubt it will become our favourite line for one very simple reason - US$ onboard currency.

When I first visited the USA I got $1.45US for my Aussie $1.  Now I get .62c US for my Aussie $1.That is why cruise lines which charge in $US in Aust are not popular with Aussies!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're going in Novemeber and I've already jokingly told my husband if he reduces his onboard drinking I will reduce my onboard shopping.

As we have already paid the onboard tips I don't think we will be coming home with much of a bill on this cruise given the terrible exchange rate, it will make us think about every purchase.

We thought we'd try them out as we love going on new ships (new to us that is) and we aren't able to go on overseas trips at the moment.

In 2019 we sailed Princess out of Southampton and it was of course in US dollars so HAL may give us another choice for overseas cruises and they have very good long itineraries.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When I first visited the USA I got $1.45US for my Aussie $1.  Now I get .62c US for my Aussie $1.That is why cruise lines which charge in $US in Aust are not popular with Aussies!

USD1.45 for AUD1.00. That doesn't sound right. The highest the AUD has been to USD was $1.10 way back in July 2010. The lowest was 0.48 in Sep 2000. Unless one goes back to the 1970s when our dollar was floated.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

USD1.45 for AUD1.00. That doesn't sound right. The highest the AUD has been to USD was $1.10 way back in July 2010. The lowest was 0.48 in Sep 2000. Unless one goes back to the 1970s when our dollar was floated.

My memory must be playing tricks on me.  I know we always came back with eight suitcases full of bargain purchases, with everything made in USA.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, sewgood said:

We're going in Novemeber and I've already jokingly told my husband if he reduces his onboard drinking I will reduce my onboard shopping.

As we have already paid the onboard tips I don't think we will be coming home with much of a bill on this cruise given the terrible exchange rate, it will make us think about every purchase.

We thought we'd try them out as we love going on new ships (new to us that is) and we aren't able to go on overseas trips at the moment.

In 2019 we sailed Princess out of Southampton and it was of course in US dollars so HAL may give us another choice for overseas cruises and they have very good long itineraries.

They used to have a couple of Happy Hours a day buy one get one for

(used to be $1]

Cheers Carole

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I remember that far back. In around 1973 the AUD was higher than the USD. Something like $1.05 or $1.10 I think AUD to USD. The good old days!

Just looked it up. In 1973 one US dollar got you 70 cents Australian. Someone else can do the maths in the other direction!

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

They used to have a couple of Happy Hours a day buy one get one for

(used to be $1]

If they still have it that will be my husband's drinking time. 😁

Now if only they had that in the onboard shops.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I know we always came back with eight suitcases full of bargain purchases, with everything made in USA.

In our twenties I used to come back from the US with a suitcase full of CD's and clothes.

I remember going to the outlet malls which we didn't have in Australia at the time (or not where I lived in any case).

They were the good old days.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess' Happy Hour (buy- one get one for $1) ended a couple of years before COVID. ☹️

No doubt on HAL it has already ended as well.

I remember how popular it was on Princess and you had to get there very early to get a seat. Of course quite a few people would walk off with the drinks and save them for later.

I would see empty bottles outside of cabin doors early the next day.

1 hour ago, sewgood said:

No doubt on HAL it has already ended as well.

I remember how popular it was on Princess and you had to get there very early to get a seat. Of course quite a few people would walk off with the drinks and save them for later.

I would see empty bottles outside of cabin doors early the next day.

HAL still had it up 'till COVID. I was on Maasdam NZ to Oz in Feb 2020. Happy hour was two for the price of one in the Crow's Nest shortly before (early) dinner IIRC. I'll know on January 3 when Westerdam departs Sydney for Singapore.