In Defense of the Windjammer

Broons77

My wife and I have over 45 cruises completed (we are 61) and except when travelling with friends and/or family very rarely eat in the MDR. Why? It generally takes too long. For us the specialty dining or WJ type set up works best. 

Chris

We love eating in the WJ for dinner, our first cruise many years ago was on VOS.  Our tablemates in the MDR had nothing in common with them and the wife didn't speak English, it was very uncomfortable.  We started going to the WJ, they would have tableclothes on the tables, nobody was in there.  And we had the best service, they knew us coming in every night and they would even bring us special desserts.

We will do the MDR about 2 nights and the rest in the WJ, I like having all the options available.

Is waiting in line for WJ just to get in still a thing?  I'll never forget the first time on OASIS when there was actually a line simply to get in for breakfast, never mind just finding a table.  That really turned me.  I now prefer booking suites and having breakfast in the special restaurant and is the one thing that makes cruising special for me now.

We find it varies ship to ship.  Last cruise we didn’t try it.  Coming up we have some late port of calls and early seating so we’ll end up there some.  I really prefer doing something different then home so getting cleaned up and being seated with a tablecloth is enjoyable.  DH likes the WJ, I don’t most of the time.  Of course it’s much quicker so if we have a show we need to get to we use it then also.

The food selections vary ship to ship too.  Sometimes what is served in the MDR isn’t served in the WJ.  Sometimes the desserts are great.  But sometimes I also have a hard time finding something I enjoy because I don’t just want a burger.  

When we have the dining package we sometimes don’t even enter the WJ on a cruise.  ( We aren’t breakfast people.) 

I always get a kick out of the posts that are overly (my opinion) critical of the WJ.  My first thought is, "IT'S A BUFFET"!  What do they expect, Ruth's Chris,  Yes, the hot food isn't going to be HOT, usually.  No, generally speaking, it's not going to be cooked to order.  Yes, there may be a line up.  Yes, the recipe my not be like your mom's.  Yes, there are a lot of foreign foods available.  Yes, there are a lot of kids (unfortunately far too many unsupervised and misbehaving).  No, it's not perfect.  But, I don't know what people expect.  I'm not a big buffet type of guy (except for breakfast (bacon bacon bacon)).  That's not to say I don't like a buffet, I just usually don't care for the behavior of far too many, supposedly adult people that don't know how to act.  

JMHO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We rarely go to the MDR as well, only reason being we either want to be in a specialty restaurant where it feels more intimate OR yeah, we'll go to the WJ because it's on our time, at our pace. We usually prefer the WJ on port days because we're too wiped out to get dressed up and just want to veg out. All that to say I never walk into the WJ thinking I'm going to be "wowed" - for me it ends up being about convenience when I'm in a more passive mood. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get DW to see things as I do, so I go under protest.  Which means 2 pre-dinner dirty martinis as opposed to the single if doing the WJ or specialty restaurant.

Perhaps your DW needs those 2 pre-dinner drinks so she can put up with you for the length of the cruise. Mrs. Dawg surely does. 😁

• Haha 1

we do dinner in the mdr every night and tip both the waiter and assist waiter each night. Simply amazing how much better the entire dining experience is...Wonder if some folks go  to the the buffet to avoid tipping beyond the small amount that the staff gets from the madatory grats...just a thought.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we do dinner in the mdr every night and tip both the waiter and assist waiter each night. Simply amazing how much better the entire dining experience is...Wonder if some folks go  to the the buffet to avoid tipping beyond the small amount that the staff gets from the madatory grats...just a thought.

God, this gets to be so old. Believe whatever you want. No one cares.... that is just my thought.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

We had started eating mainly in WJ for dinner prior to the shutdown. Since the restart I have have found the  options more limited. DH is fine with it because he loves Indian food. Last 3 cruises we have been back in the MDR. Will be on Serenade in January and are planning to try WJ again.

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No such announcements occur during dinner in the WJ.... in my experience of course.

We're not WJ regulars but the times we've had dinner there usually it was below half capacity and there was no need to make announcements. I have no problem with the MDR food but the noise level in there reminds me of Wright's Farm (Rhode Islander reference).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big_G said:

We're not WJ regulars but the times we've had dinner there usually it was below half capacity and there was no need to make announcements. I have no problem with the MDR food but the noise level in there reminds me of Wright's Farm (Rhode Islander reference).

I'm right there with you. We've never heard an announcement in the WJ in the evening. It's much quieter than the MDR and faster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

God, this gets to be so old. Believe whatever you want. No one cares.... that is just my thought.

I guess if I told the guy that I tip the table cleaners in the WJ, that would shoot a hole in his theory, wouldn't it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is amazing reading the posts from those who don't go to the Windjammer at night, yet claim they know what goes on.  We have been going to dinner in the WJ for years because of the cook to order stations, unlike what is served in the MDR.  We enjoy a nice, hot meal cooked how we want, with the ingredients we want.  There are many of the options from the MDR but many different options too.  The dessert nights, especially on Anthem are amazing.  We have seen donut nights, cake nights, make your own sundaes, just to name a few.  It is a much quieter experience than the craziness of the MDR.  Waiters do come around and ask you if you need any drinks.  The make your own pizzas is my DH favorite but I have only seen that on Radiance class ships.  I do remember the table cloths at dinner in the WJ years ago and even a guitarist that used to play on the Mariner when it first started sailing from Port Canaveral over 15 years ago.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

We like the WJ.  The MDR food is delicious, but I find the options to be somewhat limited.  I LOVE trying lots of different things just because they look good, smell good or I haven't had it before.  I can take a tiny portion and decide if I want more.  I actually eat a lot more in the MDR, because just sitting and waiting for the first course, of course those wonderful rolls must be consumed. (and no, asking the waiter not to bring them is. not an option).  I like to do something while I'm waiting.  No waiting at WJ - just get what I want, no more, no less.  They also usually have a much better selection of vegetables, which is the mainstay of my diet.  For many people, veggies are simply a garnish, and asking for a plate of them in the MDR usually results in the same assortment every time, even if I ask for more variety.  And the desserts.... I love taking a tiny piece of many things.  I don't bake much at home, so that, especially is a real treat.

That all being said, one of my main reasons for liking the WJ is time.  I don't like spending 2 hours at dinner, nor do I like making the waiter jump through hoops to get things quickly.   I'd rather eat, then get up and go do something.  JMHO 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is amazing reading the posts from those who don't go to the Windjammer at night, yet claim they know what goes on.  We have been going to dinner in the WJ for years because of the cook to order stations, unlike what is served in the MDR.  We enjoy a nice, hot meal cooked how we want, with the ingredients we want.  There are many of the options from the MDR but many different options too.  The dessert nights, especially on Anthem are amazing.  We have seen donut nights, cake nights, make your own sundaes, just to name a few.  It is a much quieter experience than the craziness of the MDR.  Waiters do come around and ask you if you need any drinks.  The make your own pizzas is my DH favorite but I have only seen that on Radiance class ships.  I do remember the table cloths at dinner in the WJ years ago and even a guitarist that used to play on the Mariner when it first started sailing from Port Canaveral over 15 years ago.  

LOL - I think the last time I ate in the Windjammer for dinner was when they still used tablecloths in the evening.

I usually do speciality restaurants or MDR. I went to the WJ for dinner once to try it out and it was full of either screaming kids who weren't controlled by their parents or grotesque larger individuals who were filling up multiple plates to the point they were overflowing. 🤮 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

What I find totally inappropriate are the loud speaker announcements  in the WJ “if you are done stuffing your face, get out so others can stuff their face”. 

The only time this announcement is made is on embarkation day. We've seen way too many people just sitting there taking up table space even though it's obvious their done dining and just waiting for the cabins to open. I actually at times appreciate the announcement...Unfortunately it doesn't seem to matter to many as they just ignore it.

• Like 2

On my last cruise I did a b-2-b as a single, 1st week I ate in the MDR at a 8 top with some nice passengers. albeit BIG eaters.  The 2nd week I ate in Windjammer, surprise, surprise I preferred the Windjammer, more selection and I could get out in under a half hour.

• Like 1