The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday November 1st, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Author's Day, National Cook For Your Pets Day, and National Family Literacy Day

You can't force love, I realized. It's there or it isn't. If it's not there, you've got to be able to admit it. If it is there, you've got to do whatever it takes to protect the ones you love.--Richelle Mead, Frostbite

Meal Suggestion for today - Coq au Vin Rosé
Drink of the Day - Planters Punch
Wine of the Day - Sierra Cantabria 2020 Rosado (Rioja) Northern Spain
Destination of the Day - Lerwick, Shetland Islands, United Kingdom

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 13:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

Loreto, Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 11/02

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Toulon, France Riviera, La Seyne-sur-Mer 09:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

Volendam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Aqaba, Jordan

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Tonga 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Cairns, Australia eta 11/3

Zuiderdam

Vaiare, French Polynesia

1101World.thumb.png.6dc6442853e182b5327a0501f1ddba27.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Rabbit  Rabbit   White rabbit

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Welcome November, please be good to us. 

It's unseasonably mild here, we should get to 18°C (64°F) this week, average for this time of year is only 9°C (48°F).

We had about 20 trick or treaters last night.

Good collection of days.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

We were in Lerwick several years ago, I'd like to go back, not sure if I can find pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning from a rainy Boston.  Thanks for the daily report.  A nod to authors and those of you who will cook for your pets today.  Family literacy is so important, thankfully I was blessed with a grandmother who was the librarian for our little town library. I like the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds like it could be very nice and I’ll never pass on a Planters Punch.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 19

Rabbit Rabbit white Rabbit for the first day of the month.

Good morning from North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Important days.

Interesting food today.

Prayers for good health for everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221101_105539.jpg

Screenshot_20221101_105516.jpg

Screenshot_20221101_105447.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Strange quote.

We have had the meal on a few occasions and always liked it as we eat a lot of chicken.

Fine selection of days but when we had dogs as pets I don't ever remember actually cooking a meal for the pooches though we did give them a few bites of our meals now and then.

I think I might have an infected pointer finger on my left hand, it's pretty sore and I have no idea how this happened but I'll give it a couple more days before I see the Doctor, doesn't bother me to play golf. 

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 20

Thank you for the All Saints Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I don't have any pets to cook for and salute all forms of Literacy which would be nowhere without the Authors.  I like the quote and have been to Lerwick just once on the Elegant Explorer.    The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is a custom lido omelet (mine is ham) my final dish on MS Amsterdam November 1, 2017.  That day I flew to Rome to board the Prinsendam November 2.  I don't have a photo from HAL but this is from Adventure of the Seas.

omelet.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
RIP Vict0riann Cousin Vicki 10/30/22
Lady Hudson DH dental problem immediately before cruise
ger_77 flight delay
NextOne recovering from respiratory infection
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 DH catheterization today
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

An unnamed angel from Holland America
5 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
5 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
4 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
4 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and maybe ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the All Saints Fleet Report and Daily, Rich.  I don't have any pets to cook for and salute all forms of Literacy which would be nowhere without the Authors.  I like the quote and have been to Lerwick just once on the Elegant Explorer.    The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is a custom lido omelet (mine is ham) my final dish on MS Amsterdam November 1, 2017.  That day I flew to Rome to board the Prinsendam November 2.  I don't have a photo from HAL but this is from Adventure of the Seas.

omelet.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kazu severe foot injury
RIP Vict0riann Cousin Vicki 10/30/22
Lady Hudson DH dental problem immediately before cruise
ger_77 flight delay
NextOne recovering from respiratory infection
Cruisin single’s step son with double cancer
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri in ICU after multiple falls
Ottahand7 DB with post-surgery complications
smitty24877 DH catheterization today
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Cruisin Terri leak damage and recalcitrant insurance company
Sandi’s neighbor Linda recovering at home
Marshhawk and DH struggling with smoking

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

An unnamed angel from Holland America
5 days for CraztForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam 11/6 tp 11/13)
5 days for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS 11/6 to 11/20)
4 days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 11/5 to 11/12)
4 days for Kazu, 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and maybe ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19)
Oceansaway17 (Equinox  to 11/3) , Cruising-Along (Nieuw Statendam  to 11/5) and Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Tomorrow November 2nd 44 years ago was when I met Pauline.

Tomorrow November 2nd is my lovely mam's 11th memory.

We were leaving our hotel in Malaga to get on Adventure of the sea's for a cruise when I got a phone call saying my mam had died.

We managed to get a flight home the next day.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!  

Good morning, everyone, and welcome November!  It is going to be a cloudy day here in northeast Ohio.  Warm and sunny up in my new Michigan home.  So far it looks like decent weather for both places on moving day.  Could we be so lucky?

I'm meeting friends for breakfast and then it is pack, pack, pack!   Busy days for the next few.  I can unpack at leisure.

Today's meal is a variation on a classic.  Instead of using red wine, we use rose.  It gives it a lighter color and a different flavor.  But, we are assured it is still decadent and you will want some good crusty bread to soak up the sauce.   https://www.howsweeteats.com/2020/11/rose-coq-au-vin/

1435557884_coqauvinrose1.thumb.jpg.30c84804807d4ce9ce96ecf9ffebf131.jpg

Doesn't that look delicious?    This next one has different seasonings and accompaniments.  https://www.thethirstykitchen.com/recipes/coq-au-vin-rose

1976391980_coqauvinrose3.jpg.caf134f82240fa047fc662d69f61062e.jpg

A lot of us got into cooking more elaborate dishes during quarantine because we had the time.  For us retirees it can be a great hobby.  And this dish fits the season well as it can become almost a stew and can really warm you up on a cold fall or winter night.   https://thedeliciouslife.com/coq-au-vin-rose-recipe/

1262004383_coqauvinrose4.thumb.jpeg.ccedfbaec3d1527d50f9a22e8824d61b.jpeg

Finally, I am offering the original as a comparison or for those who prefer the red wine sauce.  https://www.recipetineats.com/coq-au-vin/

1861391200_coqauvinrose2.thumb.jpg.1212e2a624624f0c8d3683c9a0b32963.jpg

That would be hard to resist!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

A quick hello this morning...need to catch up.  The day after my daughter and her family went back home after a WONDERFUL weekend with them, all heck broke loose at work as one of my clerks just walked out unexpectedly.  It was the Monday-est Monday ever, and nearly every day last week felt like Monday....ugh.

This too shall pass.

Sending good thoughts to all, though, who are struggling with things much more difficult and of course cheers to those celebrating.  Will check in again when I can.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!  And good morning friends!  Today is All Saints Day as well as cooking for your pets, our illustrious authors, and family literacy days.  Love the menu suggestion.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn and Roy @rafinmd for their contributions today.  Prayers said for all on the Care list and hurray for the Celebrations people.  Prayers especially for Jacqui @kazufor her hurt foot.  We want you back on said foot as soon as possible!  Hurray for the dear person at HAL who got Gerry and DH on that plane in business class and got them on their way.  Bon Voyage to you two.  Praying for Terry @smitty34877and Lou as he goes through his angioplasty today.  Joy @Seasick Sailorsorry about the runaround the VA is giving you and Allen and I sure hope the results come back A-OK.  Debbie @dfishhappy thoughts coming your way as you prepare to move into the new abode with Sue.  Hoping your other sister is feeling okay as well as her hubby.  Hoping everyone here has a great first day of November.

We have been to Lerwick twice.  First time was on a Southampton to NY transatlantic on Caribbean Princess in 2015.  Second time was this past summer on Island Princess.  Here is a link to Rich's post on Sept. 20, 2021 when we had Lerwick as our port destination of the day.

We arrived in Lerwick on Sept. 8, 2015 on Caribbean Princess and tendered over to Victoria Pier00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBjJdJFY7CsZv90mIJZcjo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033256

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIULTXRtSuadsR40it0e9fL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033260

The first thing that caught our eye was a zebra-striped accommodation barge used to house workers building the Shetland Gas Plant.  It's no longer there since the project was completed several years back.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqC_J6f9kOCHDEwPC8dEgX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033261

We had scheduled a tour of the Jarlshof Ruins and the Hoswick Visitor Center.  Excuse the photos taken from the bus window of the countryside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF676KMg-LP3AOCZUtGnwu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033279

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRxwFaNVRFbXwMxz3OqOzW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033296

Our driver told us Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick own property here.  I have no way of verifying that information, but it would be a perfect place to get away from it all.

The Hostwick Visitor Center had a lot of very old radios and other communication equipment, along with textiles and other odds and ends.  Seemed an odd collection to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQlkYv3znEg4X0dTknSBmS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033317

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJimIGfIaqgMByHOdU_mlE8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033321

Most of us thought the scenery outside more interesting so went out to take some photos before time to move on to the Jarlshof Ruins.  Scenery like this00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKX198M0x_4gY0o4vUfe6Dm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033330

and this00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNjSfkWeB9pQ2dN0YHYSEi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033334

Back in the bus for the drive to the Ruins we saw lovely beaches which were dotted with seals, surprisingly.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOUk_NQ2L99IDYl3qAnC9G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033375

The guide passed around photos and other information while en route.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJW4AsLpdTsNGRaOQLB9O82?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033389

In order to reach the Ruins we had to cross a runway at Sumburgh Airport!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmUOiFqYnirZEWwLEbq3Ve?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033404

Arriving at Jarlshof Ruins00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzco_bBNu6Ts8kf4RAAu1Y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033420

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZxFTLMUiFPypWgLlIhFon?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033421

This photo shows outlines of some of their huts and other buildings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKdW_idVmqbR1D7l0ta08xX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033509

This would have been where the fire was in their rocky home.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCtdRhzTP3UlljC7kn9NGl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033483

And some of the walls00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjXgfgmT-UxXs5-sRgR6p3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033483

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzbyhjwt8gjL5jEq6G1sEu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033500

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKp6e41jBAlCYvBkTAIabUC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033526

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnqXgVCT47vppeQJCAJhQr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033527

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiYfMxo-SdzBG-9aOuoUnT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033540

Leaving the site, we stopped to enjoy a few of the Shetland ponies next to the walkway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlL-nsGcu5VXXX6OzX2qGF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033548

We were back in Lerwick on June 9, 2022 on Island Princess, the week before we caught Covid.  I haven't really looked at my photos too much because I am having difficulty working on Shutterfly's new photo book methods.  I guess I'm being stubborn.  I think we stayed in Lerwick itself so I'll take a look a little later at them and see.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

I wanted to tell a little story about Halloween at DD's house in Ohio.  The weather must have been mild enough last night so before dark she took the bowl of candy bars out to the driveway and put Sadie on a leash as the kids started coming by.  Sadie is the people loving dog so she was thrilled to see all the visitors there to pick up candy.

But when it got dark, they went inside and Sadie sat at the door and waited for the doorbell to ring.  I hear she was a good girl and wasn't barking at anyone.  And see how well she learned to sit at puppy kindergarten?  Good girl!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKPV3ZvzBvHUS8RS3ca_SQldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1667302961

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday Morning !  Off to see my mother in law today.  I'm pretty sure she will let me use her computer to check in, but I've packed a Randy Wayne White book, and Word search games.  I'll miss you!  

@kazuI hope your foot feels better soon, I was so sorry to see you were injured.

6323-Chubby-Orange-Cat-Sitting-In-A-Wheelchair-In-A-Hospital-Clipart-Picture.jpg

It's hard after a week to get back and read a weeks worth- so everyone have a great week!

d4b8988daa82cf9bb4a3c9d7876af72a--cute-good-morning-quotes-happy-tuesday-quotes.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! A bit late this morning, it was a lovely, though dark, morning for a long walk with Bindi.  

Last night was a bit disappointing at our beachfront winery. Only one costumed person walked by. Last year there were so many. But the ocean was still amazing and it was our first time back since Ian and wonderful to see how well they survived, though there was still sand everywhere in their parking area. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Debbie, great to see you & your recipes. Annie, thank you for providing a “pop-up” recipe yesterday!  Off to the gym. Then chores, my plumber needs to finish up some work this afternoon, so my schedule revolves around him. 

Though perfect for last night, this really fits any night in a feline household…

0FC0DF7B-73FB-4BB8-9CD2-5C7A99901A6D.jpeg.db6db98516eec12061544653c9051c1b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support @kazu Jacqui, that is you. And @smitty34877 Terry that is you & DH. 

Cheers for all who are celebrating! @ger_77  Gerry, I hope that is you & DH!  Stay well everyone. 

Sierra Cantabria 2020 Rosado (Rioja)

I would love to try this Spanish rosé. If it is dry enough I just might like it. I appreciate that the winemakers changed their method to the more traditional one. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at a reasonable $13.00.

Winemaker Notes

Classic clarete style Rioja rosé wine. Originally, this was produced by saignée but they changed the method in order to more authentically represent Rioja tradition. Salmon colored, notes of red berries, pomegranate, and strawberry. Refreshing and lively acidity.  Blend: 55% Viura, 35% Garnacha, 10% Tempranillo

JS92 James Suckling

A pale copper-tinged rosé with aromas of sliced apples, raspberries, apricot stones, grapefruit and cloves. It’s medium-bodied with bright acidity and a creamy texture. Layered and focused with an excellent balance of fruit, minerals and spice. Serious rosé. Drink now.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

More white than pink, this traditional blend of 55% white Viura with red Garnacha and Tempranillo smells flowery and lightly honeyed, with minerally notes. A medium-bodied palate delivers modest heft alongside flavors of waxy apple and citrus. Best Buys

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!  And good morning friends!  Today is All Saints Day as well as cooking for your pets, our illustrious authors, and family literacy days.  Love the menu suggestion.  Thanks to Rich @richwmn and Roy @rafinmd for their contributions today.  Prayers said for all on the Care list and hurray for the Celebrations people.  Prayers especially for Jacqui @kazufor her hurt foot.  We want you back on said foot as soon as possible!  Hurray for the dear person at HAL who got Gerry and DH on that plane in business class and got them on their way.  Bon Voyage to you two.  Praying for Terry @smitty34877and Lou as he goes through his angioplasty today.  Joy @Seasick Sailorsorry about the runaround the VA is giving you and Allen and I sure hope the results come back A-OK.  Debbie @dfishhappy thoughts coming your way as you prepare to move into the new abode with Sue.  Hoping your other sister is feeling okay as well as her hubby.  Hoping everyone here has a great first day of November.

We have been to Lerwick twice.  First time was on a Southampton to NY transatlantic on Caribbean Princess in 2015.  Second time was this past summer on Island Princess.  Here is a link to Rich's post on Sept. 20, 2021 when we had Lerwick as our port destination of the day.

We arrived in Lerwick on Sept. 8, 2015 on Caribbean Princess and tendered over to Victoria Pier00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLBjJdJFY7CsZv90mIJZcjo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033256

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIULTXRtSuadsR40it0e9fL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033260

The first thing that caught our eye was a zebra-striped accommodation barge used to house workers building the Shetland Gas Plant.  It's no longer there since the project was completed several years back.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqC_J6f9kOCHDEwPC8dEgX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033261

We had scheduled a tour of the Jarlshof Ruins and the Hoswick Visitor Center.  Excuse the photos taken from the bus window of the countryside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKF676KMg-LP3AOCZUtGnwu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033279

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRxwFaNVRFbXwMxz3OqOzW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033296

Our driver told us Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick own property here.  I have no way of verifying that information, but it would be a perfect place to get away from it all.

The Hostwick Visitor Center had a lot of very old radios and other communication equipment, along with textiles and other odds and ends.  Seemed an odd collection to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQlkYv3znEg4X0dTknSBmS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033317

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJimIGfIaqgMByHOdU_mlE8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033321

Most of us thought the scenery outside more interesting so went out to take some photos before time to move on to the Jarlshof Ruins.  Scenery like this00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKX198M0x_4gY0o4vUfe6Dm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033330

and this00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNjSfkWeB9pQ2dN0YHYSEi?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033334

Back in the bus for the drive to the Ruins we saw lovely beaches which were dotted with seals, surprisingly.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKOUk_NQ2L99IDYl3qAnC9G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033375

The guide passed around photos and other information while en route.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJW4AsLpdTsNGRaOQLB9O82?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033389

In order to reach the Ruins we had to cross a runway at Sumburgh Airport!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmUOiFqYnirZEWwLEbq3Ve?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033404

Arriving at Jarlshof Ruins00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzco_bBNu6Ts8kf4RAAu1Y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033420

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZxFTLMUiFPypWgLlIhFon?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033421

This photo shows outlines of some of their huts and other buildings.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKdW_idVmqbR1D7l0ta08xX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033509

This would have been where the fire was in their rocky home.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCtdRhzTP3UlljC7kn9NGl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033483

And some of the walls00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJjXgfgmT-UxXs5-sRgR6p3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033483

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzbyhjwt8gjL5jEq6G1sEu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033500

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKp6e41jBAlCYvBkTAIabUC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033526

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKnqXgVCT47vppeQJCAJhQr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033527

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiYfMxo-SdzBG-9aOuoUnT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033540

Leaving the site, we stopped to enjoy a few of the Shetland ponies next to the walkway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlL-nsGcu5VXXX6OzX2qGF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443033548

We were back in Lerwick on June 9, 2022 on Island Princess, the week before we caught Covid.  I haven't really looked at my photos too much because I am having difficulty working on Shutterfly's new photo book methods.  I guess I'm being stubborn.  I think we stayed in Lerwick itself so I'll take a look a little later at them and see.

Interesting photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In looking at my photos from June 9 we were able to visit the town of Lerwick.  We walked around the town a bit then got instructions on how to get to Tesco to do a little shopping.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIDyCEFzH4ovRqXlXzH6dcqVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971604

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_nHk3iDWcy8aau8vdT8EC5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971605

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJgo7asGeRaG8SXaJ6nKfEtqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971621

I was surprised to see this hospital with the funeral director in the same building!  😳

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJftzGCWM8SRi6CUh15mJ22ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971624

We had quite a little walk to get to the Tesco but on a cruise you can always use the exercise.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRJ8oyR8IeDvv0eL23pdZTVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971631

After we picked up some goodies for our waiters and bar staff favorites, we stopped to see the Lerwick Town Hall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-THelOplKfcu1UQk9hnPH5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971633

Then passed by this monument.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOuIzM0NUz-YlsUrLqdL4-qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971646

And then we found the very conveniently located Fort Charlotte00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJX3MLx2lMEKRcAnDoxBUOzVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971661

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZj5c0iYTlNS34cNE8zymKrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971653

Island Princess is in the back of this photo.   DH always has his photo taken with a cannon.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqRNbXjr3fFZ8l5xKXyQoZqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656961215

Back to the dock area to get on a tender.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJzIKi_F_4kDPB5X3uOz1WIUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656971663

Hoping to see more photos today.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from central Texas.  It is about 53F and not windy right now.  This will be quick since it is house cleaning day, plus I need to clean the motorhome, too.  Not my favorite chore, but very necessary one today.  I want to get started and get finished as quickly as possible.

It seems appropriate that national authors day and family literacy day are on the same day.  My father instilled a love of reading in me, and I passed in on to the DDs.  Some how all the men in the family did not develop a love of reading.  We don't have any pets to cook for.

Today's quote is another one that is very true.

I have made today's meal before, but a long, long time ago.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

We have been to Lerwick, and thanks to @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'll look up my pictures shortly.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot is feeling better today.  Wishing you the best for the upcoming cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad you made it back to Ohio safely.  Best wishes for a smooth move.

@aliaschief  Safe flight home today.  I'm glad you both and your luggage arrived in Atlanta safely.

@marshhawk  Annie, safe travels to visit your DMIL.

@MISTER 67  I hope your finger is better soon.

@grapau27  Graham, thinking of you and Pauline on the 11th remembrance day of your Mam's passing.

We have been to Lerwick three times, and in 2003. we had to miss it.  The Rotterdam was caught in a bad storm between Greenland and Canada for two days, so we had to cut one port.  Our first visit was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, and we took the tour to Scalloway Castle. 

In 2017, we were in Lerwick twice on the Prinsendam.  The first time we walked around town, which being there on a Sunday, meant most stores were closed.  The second time, we rented a car and drove around the island.

I'll post pictures of our walk around town in another post.  These are from our drive around the island.

DSC00315.thumb.JPG.856ba87d63316f7d0980447221236594.JPG

Sumbergh Head and the lighthouse

DSC00324.thumb.JPG.1eab1c31bdd0a8c69baf84e725fdfd8d.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.ec3a231beb5f3ff6f1f823f04a3683cb.JPG

Jarlshof, the site of the remains of a Viking village

DSC00331.thumb.JPG.6e001709038454e4ec7c2a2253eaa754.JPG

To get to the southern tip of the island and Sumbergh Head, you had to drive across the airport runway, so the road was closed when a plane was landing or taking off.

DSC00333.thumb.JPG.425391aa45600ca042b4ec127753f8f6.JPG

Scenery along the road heading back to Lerwick and the part of the island north of town.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.ef9a61e1e027386052525a38f862f763.JPG

DSC00346.thumb.JPG.4819e78322b93d568a5a0cb395bf1c16.JPG

A couple of interior pictures of Scalloway Castle

DSC00350.thumb.JPG.441cab0eec148513b30e1132ef1e879c.JPG

DSC00354.thumb.JPG.ed4e34caef7d1e4ea7cf77d1f9d0f707.JPG

Scenes from the northern part of the island

DSC00364.thumb.JPG.268807c8f2eef56319a7a17e42532cf0.JPG

DSC00373.thumb.JPG.4a933e6414ce2b2a820ae8dd58bad231.JPG

DSC00374.thumb.JPG.5c8a9f0fb9a0f798384a93b5759b2458.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

These are just a few of our pictures walking arund town.  Both times we walked around town were on Sunday, and the weather was less than ideal.

View from Prinsendam across the bayDSC00380.thumb.JPG.3abcf59b3bab6a6d1ddc541601c9220f.JPG

Town

DSC09265.thumb.JPG.73ef3dcff06953ee19cdadf47686894d.JPG

DSC09266.thumb.JPG.62170b8a53fbbb6fe98f0131ba57e1c0.JPG

DSC09271.thumb.JPG.fb0a399959b5bd27d6edb8e7a6bff4e5.JPG

Another view from the ship

DSC09280.thumb.JPG.345022440c3f401d6c8b023075f3cf69.JPG

The lighthouse and headland as we sailed toward the next port

DSC09285.thumb.JPG.62aaa60a23472359dad7703850d3d17d.JPG

DSC09287.thumb.JPG.5d95bc23e9a4c5769a77e904dd94be8e.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  It is about 53F and not windy right now.  This will be quick since it is house cleaning day, plus I need to clean the motorhome, too.  Not my favorite chore, but very necessary one today.  I want to get started and get finished as quickly as possible.

It seems appropriate that national authors day and family literacy day are on the same day.  My father instilled a love of reading in me, and I passed in on to the DDs.  Some how all the men in the family did not develop a love of reading.  We don't have any pets to cook for.

Today's quote is another one that is very true.

I have made today's meal before, but a long, long time ago.  I'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

We have been to Lerwick, and thanks to @StLouisCruisers Sandi, I'll look up my pictures shortly.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your foot is feeling better today.  Wishing you the best for the upcoming cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad you made it back to Ohio safely.  Best wishes for a smooth move.

@aliaschief  Safe flight home today.  I'm glad you both and your luggage arrived in Atlanta safely.

@marshhawk  Annie, safe travels to visit your DMIL.

@MISTER 67  I hope your finger is better soon.

@grapau27  Graham, thinking of you and Pauline on the 11th remembrance day of your Mam's passing.

We have been to Lerwick three times, and in 2003. we had to miss it.  The Rotterdam was caught in a bad storm between Greenland and Canada for two days, so we had to cut one port.  Our first visit was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, and we took the tour to Scalloway Castle. 

In 2017, we were in Lerwick twice on the Prinsendam.  The first time we walked around town, which being there on a Sunday, meant most stores were closed.  The second time, we rented a car and drove around the island.

I'll post pictures of our walk around town in another post.  These are from our drive around the island.

DSC00315.thumb.JPG.856ba87d63316f7d0980447221236594.JPG

Sumbergh Head and the lighthouse

DSC00324.thumb.JPG.1eab1c31bdd0a8c69baf84e725fdfd8d.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.ec3a231beb5f3ff6f1f823f04a3683cb.JPG

Jarlshof, the site of the remains of a Viking village

DSC00331.thumb.JPG.6e001709038454e4ec7c2a2253eaa754.JPG

To get to the southern tip of the island and Sumbergh Head, you had to drive across the airport runway, so the road was closed when a plane was landing or taking off.

DSC00333.thumb.JPG.425391aa45600ca042b4ec127753f8f6.JPG

Scenery along the road heading back to Lerwick and the part of the island north of town.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.ef9a61e1e027386052525a38f862f763.JPG

DSC00346.thumb.JPG.4819e78322b93d568a5a0cb395bf1c16.JPG

A couple of interior pictures of Scalloway Castle

DSC00350.thumb.JPG.441cab0eec148513b30e1132ef1e879c.JPG

DSC00354.thumb.JPG.ed4e34caef7d1e4ea7cf77d1f9d0f707.JPG

Scenes from the northern part of the island

DSC00364.thumb.JPG.268807c8f2eef56319a7a17e42532cf0.JPG

DSC00373.thumb.JPG.4a933e6414ce2b2a820ae8dd58bad231.JPG

DSC00374.thumb.JPG.5c8a9f0fb9a0f798384a93b5759b2458.JPG

Lenda

Thank you for your kind words Lenda.

Lovely photos.