The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 1st, 2022

richwmn

When I got up this morning, the Junior Cat was nowhere to be found, and she didn't materialize until much later, so it was quite a while before I could say "rabbit" to her. She seemed perplexed, as clearly there was no rabbit in evidence.

I'm just back from getting a flu vaccination. It's quite late for that, but the season here tends to start late and end late. The pharmacist would have liked to vaccinate me against everything else during the same visit, but I've already had every other vaccination that is recommended.

The meal suggestion sounds like a lot of trouble for what is still meatloaf. I'd rather have the roast beef and cherry crisp, but I'll pass on the soup since I don't enjoy coconut in any form.

337832872_cookingshowsfordogs.thumb.jpg.a0e4e9d5d77784bd48d07043fc3ad50d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

I'm sorry I haven't been online for a while -- life hit me sideways in November, with health issues, family concerns, and the need to buy a new car when my old one died unexpectedly (first time I had to do that on my own)! But I didn't want to whine & I'll be back soon with a better attitude!

In the meantime, thanks to all that keep this thread going and keeping it a warm, comforting & friendly spot!

Edi

I'm sorry to hear things haven't been good for you lately Edi but hopefully things are going to get a lot better for you now.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit rabbit rabbit! Please!  Glad we’ve made progress  on AIDS! 
thanks to all!   It’s freezing here!  So jealous of that beautiful palm tree! 

We sprung for permanent lights this year, pricey but never another ladder and they can be infinitely customized.  And they’re LED so very cheap to use, and can be set for a beautiful wall washer look.  My dad fell off a ladder one Christmas putting up the lights and wasn’t able to work, made for a tough year when I was a young child.  So that’s always a worry.  

@smitty34877sending caring thoughts for you and Tana!  
@kazu Newfoundland is one of our favourite places,  I want to go back,  and yes I think a land trip would be best! 

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

I'm sorry I haven't been online for a while -- life hit me sideways in November, with health issues, family concerns, and the need to buy a new car when my old one died unexpectedly (first time I had to do that on my own)! But I didn't want to whine & I'll be back soon with a better attitude!

In the meantime, thanks to all that keep this thread going and keeping it a warm, comforting & friendly spot!

Edi

You’re welcome how ever you are!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and Happy Thursday. I don’t think we’ll have outside lights this year. It’s gotten too hard for Craig to do with his back problems. We like to watch the Great Christmas Light Fight, so we’ll do that instead. 

Pass on the mustard glazed meatloaf. I’m making the smoked spatchcock chicken today. I have it brining and will put a rub on it before putting it on the grill. 

Have a great day today!

• Like 24

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.

My Christmas lights (such as they are) are up. World AIDS Day is important; much progress has been made in treatment. A salute to Romania. And it's National Pie Day. True quote. Maybe to the meal, no to the drink and yes to the wine. 

I have not been to Ulvik, Norway.

It's cold here, 29F and sunny right now. I went to the PO, as when we came back home, I changed the mail hold from Dec 9 to Nov 28. Then got an email saying delivery would start on the 29th. Nothing on the 29th or yesterday. They had my mail at the PO (although it was to be delivered, not picked up), and were nonchalant when asked if I could expect delivery to resume. Frustrating! Last night I finished the slide show for the funeral on Saturday; even though I'd watched it many times as I was putting it together, I shed a few tears on the last watching.

@Ichiban Nekko I hope DH got a bed and is feeling better.

@smitty34877 Oh no on Tana having pneumonia again; hopefully the antibiotics do the trick quickly. Good luck with the hip. Prayers for you both.

@kazu Good thing you have a generator and not having to go out on icy roads.

@aliaschief I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

@MISTER 67   You'll knock the rust off your golf game in no time.

@rafinmd Sorry about the lip issue, and I hope the doctor can help. Maybe see a dermatologist?

@StLouisCruisers Those were great photos from the Boi Bumba Festival show you posted yesterday. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Best to DH as he transitions home.

@Lady Hudson Bon Voyage!

@HAL4NOW Still no power and all that snow is no fun. 

@NextOne Thanks for checking in. No need to worry we'll think you're whining!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you all for your good wishes yesterday and today.  On our way!  

Katherine 

YAY - Bon Voyage!

2 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

@kazu Jacqui, sorry to hear you won't be on the September Newfoundland cruise. I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Out of curiosity, which ports are most likely to be missed?

I haven’t cancelled yet but the timing is bad for hurricane season.  when I looked at cruises to Newfoundland, all of the ports were cancelled for numerous cruises - including this year.  And, they are all tender ports, I believe to add complications to it.  My main reason is Newfoundland and the 3 ports there.

If anything like Fiona whips through, I would be also be very concerned about PEI, possibly Halifax & Sydney (no loss IMO), as well.

It’s a really sketchy time to visit Newfoundland - they are subject to brutal storms and I don’t want to be on a cruise counting on certain ports and disappointed I didn’t get there - I know better.  

No final decision yet, but the risk isn’t worth the cost (especially as a solo) so I am leaning to cancelling.

2 hours ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Oh Edi, so sorry to hear about the sideways problems.  I know it’s hard, believe me - especially with your loss.  It just makes all the normal challenges seem harder let alone the difficult ones.  

You are NOT whining.  Hang in there.  Look at what you have accomplished - I think this applies to several of us including @Rowsby

EAB8D5E5-E1FB-402E-9A0D-9965659A4878.thumb.jpeg.1c1aa978bf7a7c45de9469271cb57d09.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Dailyites, and rabbits!  Thanks to Rich, Roy and the F&B ladies for the Daily News, and prayers for those who need them, especially Tana and @smitty34877, Roy, the Chief and @Ichiban Nekko's DH.  

We have snow again!  On Tuesday it snowed all day and then melted overnight.  Wednesday was clear, but it must have snowed again last night and there is a dusting on the ground.  I went to the grocery store this morning and the parking lot was clear but it started to snow again as I drove home.  I have to leave shortly for our complex's ladies' Christmas lunch a little north of us, so I will get Pat to show me how to engage all-wheel drive on the car, just in case....  Wish I didn't have to go out, I'd much rather just hunker down in front of the fire.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

@kazu Jacqui, sorry to hear you won't be on the September Newfoundland cruise. I was looking forward to meeting you in person. Out of curiosity, which ports are most likely to be missed?

I haven’t cancelled yet but the timing is bad for hurricane season.  when I looked at cruises to Newfoundland, all of the ports were cancelled for numerous cruises - including this year.  And, they are all tender ports, I believe to add complications to it.  My main reason is Newfoundland and the 3 ports there.

If anything like Fiona whips through, I would be also be very concerned about PEI, possibly Halifax & Sydney (no loss IMO), as well.

It’s a really sketchy time to visit Newfoundland - they are subject to brutal storms and I don’t want to be on a cruise counting on certain ports and disappointed I didn’t get there - I know better.  

No final decision yet, but the risk isn’t worth the cost (especially as a solo) so I am leaning to cancelling.

That makes sense. The single supplement is pretty hefty.

It looks like many years there have been zero severe storms, while other years have had multiple storms in the Maritimes. This chart shows that August and September have the highest number of storms according to a Wikipedia article, although a couple of the storms were Typhoons that hit British Columbia. We are hoping for the best but understand when ports are skipped for weather reasons. Safety does matter.

1874003327_Screenshot2022-12-01102336.jpg.a8311db6106d9a2d1772ea5b4f7a5ce9.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

That makes sense. The single supplement is pretty hefty.

It looks like many years there have been zero severe storms, while other years have had multiple storms in the Maritimes. This chart shows that August and September have the highest number of storms according to a Wikipedia article, although a couple of the storms were Typhoons that hit British Columbia. We are hoping for the best but understand when ports are skipped for weather reasons. Safety does matter.

1874003327_Screenshot2022-12-01102336.jpg.a8311db6106d9a2d1772ea5b4f7a5ce9.jpg

September is high season for storms here and sadly, for the last few years, they have been bad.  Climate change is having an impact on Atlantic Canada as the ocean is not as cold so they are not winding down like they used to.

LOL on Wikipedia - I challenge their stats right now.  You’re talking to a person who has had to protect things far more than 13 times in less than 3 decades since I moved to this part of the Atlantic Provinces and we don’t get nailed like Newfoundland most times.  I guess technically they could be correct but  a storm doesn’t have to make land fall to do damage - not with the winds we get - and believe me, those winds are not going to let you tender any where and do one heck of a lot of damage 😔 

• Like 15

Just a quick note to say we made it home a little more than an hour ago.  Everything went smoothly, and DH is able to move around the house with no problems using the walker for safety.   He's resting while I get everything put away.  Now, we're waiting for the home health nurse to come this afternoon for the an evaluation of what we need with therapy and health care. 

I'll read the rest of the Daily later.

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Just a quick note to say we made it home a little more than an hour ago.  Everything went smoothly, and DH is able to move around the house with no problems using the walker for safety.   He's resting while I get everything put away.  Now, we're waiting for the home health nurse to come this afternoon for the an evaluation of what we need with therapy and health care. 

Lenda

YIPPEE 👏 👏 👏 

Smart to use the walker and so glad the nurse is coming to assess and help 👍 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

September is high season for storms here and sadly, for the last few years, they have been bad.  Climate change is having an impact on Atlantic Canada as the ocean is not as cold so they are not winding down like they used to.

LOL on Wikipedia - I challenge their stats right now.  You’re talking to a person who has had to protect things far more than 13 times in less than 3 decades since I moved to this part of the Atlantic Provinces and we don’t get nailed like Newfoundland most times.  I guess technically they could be correct but  a storm doesn’t have to make land fall to do damage - not with the winds we get - and believe me, those winds are not going to let you tender any where and do one heck of a lot of damage 😔 

Storm severity can be very localized and somewhat subjective as to what constitutes severe. We haven't had any severe weather in the mountains this week, but this is our third day without power, and I haven't run out of snow to move.

The only tender required ports listed on the itinerary are St. Anthony and Bar Harbor. I have seen people get upset because the tenders weren't running. Loading them in some conditions would require excellent timing and superb athletic ability on each passenger's part. When the captain says it isn't safe to use the tenders, it isn't safe to use the tenders.

• Like 14

Back from the Doctor's.  She told me to stop what I am currently using and thinks it is a bacterial infection.  She ordered 2 prescriptions which are currently listed by the pharmacy as "In Process".  Depending on the timing when ready I'll pick them up either today or tomorrow.

@kazu, a Newfoundland land trip sounds like a good idea,  Not sure for you what flights would be like and perhaps the ferry would make some sense.

Great news @Quartzsite Cruiser.

@1ANGELCAT, Zuiderdam is now listed for 2:45.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Now you have me worrying about our cruise in August of 2023.  I think we'll be taking our chances on it.  I would love to do a land trip to that area.  There is so much to see and do and I would like to spend my time to really enjoy it.

26 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Oh, Happy Day!   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Storm severity can be very localized and somewhat subjective as to what constitutes severe. We haven't had any severe weather in the mountains this week

I call 90 mph winds severe.  Even last night I lost 2 gutter guards (not impressed) and it wasn’t severe - 70 - 90 mph - but in either case - no tender would be going.

Storm severity is generally not localized in the Maritimes.  It tends to move across several provinces most of the time - especially in the case of tropical storms or “nor easter type’ storms and there can be a number of them. ( like last night - the power outages were not just here - but in 3 provinces).  In the case of land fall, it is merciless - PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland suffered badly from Fiona.  It is not localized.  We had a mess but nothing compared to them.

I’m not trying to be a negative nilly but I’ve lived here for a very long time and I see the trends.  DH and I had to rush home on more than one occasion from conferences due to the storms coming to get things put away and safe.

With luck, all will be good for you - but based on the last 5 years, I am skeptical, sorry. 😔 

6 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

but this is our third day without power, and I haven't run out of snow to move.

Oh no on no power for that long 😔 Do you have a generator 🤞 It’s far too cold to be without coffee and heat 😔 so sorry to hear this.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu, a Newfoundland land trip sounds like a good idea,  Not sure for you what flights would be like and perhaps the ferry would make some sense.

Thanks Roy - there actually are land tours here that take you to the ferry, sleeping cabin and pick you up on the other side.  My BFF was going to do it until covid hit and who knows, if it’s feasible we might go together

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

Now you have me worrying about our cruise in August of 2023.  I think we'll be taking our chances on it.  I would love to do a land trip to that area.  There is so much to see and do and I would like to spend my time to really enjoy it.

August is not bad as far as storms go.  There’s a small risk but it’s usually past mid August and they are just tropicals and usually not severe - so you should be ok 🤞  It’s usually September that gets worrisome - around the 9th.  I lucked out with DH’s Celebration of Life (I did have an alternate date).  Literally days after there was a major storm.  😥 

Caveat - not a weatherman just speaking from personal experience 😉 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

I call 90 mph winds severe.  Even last night I lost 2 gutter guards (not impressed) and it wasn’t severe - 70 - 90 mph - but in either case - no tender would be going.

Storm severity is generally not localized in the Maritimes.  It tends to move across several provinces most of the time - especially in the case of tropical storms or “nor easter type’ storms and there can be a number of them. ( like last night - the power outages were not just here - but in 3 provinces).  In the case of land fall, it is merciless - PEI, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland suffered badly from Fiona.  It is not localized.  We had a mess but nothing compared to them.

I’m not trying to be a negative nilly but I’ve lived here for a very long time and I see the trends.  DH and I had to rush home on more than one occasion from conferences due to the storms coming to get things put away and safe.

With luck, all will be good for you - but based on the last 5 years, I am skeptical, sorry. 😔 

Thanks, Jacqui,

I defer to your expertise and experience as a local.

The two B2B Discover Newfoundland cruises seem to be only offered August 23 through September 13, 2023.

We did experience some nor'easter storm activity when we lived in southern Maine. That was about 50 miles inland from Portland, and not on the water. They provided some pretty significant snow dumps and drifts.

We do have a generator, so not really suffering that much from the power outage. More of an inconvenience and added fuel expenses.

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@Oceansaway17 I had the same question when I started reading the Daily.

The phrase rabbit rabbit is a long-held superstition thought to bring about good luck. But it's not to be uttered just any old random day. Rather, if you say it on the first day of the month before any other words come out of your mouth, then luck is thought to be coaxed your way.88B701C4-668A-4BD6-8384-155E9E29B4C8.jpeg.2217c750a277ce27550aa34a5285a048.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Please tell me why folks are saying this phrase?

For good luck - some of us need all we can get 😂 

5 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Thanks, Jacqui,

I defer to your expertise and experience as a local.

The two B2B Discover Newfoundland cruises seem to be only offered August 23 through September 13, 2023.

I really don’t understand HAL’s timing on this at all - I am sure there is method to their madness.  August 23rd is safer than September but it is coming on the season.

5 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We did experience some nor'easter storm activity when we lived in southern Maine. That was about 50 miles inland from Portland, and not on the water. They provided some pretty significant snow dumps and drifts.

We do have a generator, so not really suffering that much from the power outage. More of an inconvenience and added fuel expenses.

So glad you do have a generator - I know it’s not perfect but it beats being in darkness for sure 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1