The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 12th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning! A mild 67 degrees with another dense fog alert. I need to get out and do some errands today, laundry and refill prescriptions. Haven’t been to Istanbul but have spent many night’s in crew rest in Turkey. 
Rich you have quite an adventure ahead of you. Enjoy! Graham happy to hear your surgery went well and thoughts and prayers for all those on the Care list.

Today’s quote is a hoot.

Thanks for the report and post. Have a great week.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I leave the gingerbread decorating to the experts - I have no artistic ability.  I like Ambrosia Salad in the summer, and because we have a cat, we don't have poinsettias in the house, so I enjoy looking at them in the stores.  Today's quote gave me a chuckle; it pretty much applies to a lot of governments around the world.  

The dining room table is cleared, the wrapping paper is out, I found the "good" tape and scissors, so that means today I wrap gifts.  Last year I used gift bags, but this year I'm going to try to use up some of the dozen or more rolls of paper that we've amassed over the years.  I'm not the best wrapper, but as long as I've got lots of tape, I'm good.  The gifts give the recipients something to do on Christmas morning. . . get through all the tape.  LOL

Speaking of gift wrapping, I saw something funny online yesterday - it's a new drinking game.  Set your favourite libation out on a side table with a shot glass.  When you're wrapping your gifts, every time you lose either the scissors or tape, take a drink.   LOL

@grapau27I'm glad to hear your surgery went well; hoping for a good outcome for you.

@kazuI'm keeping my fingers crossed for you weather-wise; when do you expect to fly to San Diego?

@seagarsmokergood to hear you're feeling better!

@smitty34877how disappointing to know you won't be able to join the rest of your family this Christmas.  Maybe you can do as we did during lock-down and have a virtual gathering with a laptop at the table.

I think I'd like to try today's meal suggestion, but I know DH doesn't care for squash of any kind, so will leave it for when I see it in a restaurant menu.  I told DH I was wrapping gifts (he doesn't like doing it), so he said he'd take care of dinner tonight.  My guess is we'll either have a bake it yourself pizza or soup and sandwiches.  I'm good with either.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, cheers to all who have celebrations.  Be safe, stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

6 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Graham I thought of you when I got up to watch the snow plow at  3:30 this morning  and I am so glad things went well . I hope you heal quickly.

Thank you Gerry and Terry for your kind words and good wishes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's a nice warm day in Aruba (read that hot!) and we will probably go out later to sweat a bit.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  I read the plea for assistance to post and see a few have said they might be able to help.  If you would like I will offer my help too.🙋‍♀️  There are a couple of days I might be delayed and could use assistance but I don't see a lot of travel in our future.  Let me know if this sounds good to you.

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists too.  We have a lot of people to pray for so we'd better all get busy.  Jacqui @kazuI am praying you outwit Mother Nature and make it to your cruise on time or even early.  Graham @grapau27glad your surgery is finished and hope all heals well for you.

Our port today Istanbul, Turkey is a big one.  It was posted here on Nov. 21, 2021 and here is Rich's post from that day for photo retrieval.  I know I for one had many photos so you will all be sick of them by the time I'm finished!

We were honored to take a Black Sea followed by a Holy Land cruise on the Prinsendam in 2014.  It was our first cruise on HAL and what an introduction it was!  We stayed two days in Istanbul so we got to do a lot of exploring around the city.

We arrived in Istanbul in late afternoon on Oct. 9, 2014.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjq8wMqhIQD92nBFPbYmSN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780907

We had time to get off the ship and walk to a nearby hotel to borrow some wi-fi before dinner.  Thank you Nidya Hotel.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-KkXZjlkRSBsiBuMbI6mp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780914

The next day we walked across the Galata Bridge to see the Topkapi Palace Museum.  See how close the boats are to the bridge?  In the background you can see Hagia Sophia's minarets.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8jckqOQmIVj03LfJVl5Nh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780952

We passed many shops selling spices and Turkish delights.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFwx_sJJpkw1Oz2v_000-b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780972

The Imperial Gate entrance to Topkapi Palace Museum.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyGfTQmlWKfzcrMfGZi35u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781010

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcT2HT4Z9TwBj5wlCleQW5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781070

We bought a Museum Pass and headed toward the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.  We checked out artifacts on the lawn and entered the Tiled Kiosk to see the pottery and tile displays.  No cameras were allowed in the Archaeological Museum.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLM2_VS9HOdqoAZ0Yci0CpZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781034

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJfwDCVDHFS-dbfjnI6tSuI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781028

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKFK5x_9nvuODuhO--mZGuq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781043

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVtJsiOWgXxJdejbyZ004n?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781052

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXJCwb4RiFjyyQOB32M2RZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781053

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAPcRteF91O7_eqicSeR5O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781058

Then we headed through the Gate of Salutations into the Topkapi Palace Museums which housed everything from jewelry to weapons.  One of the museums had a terrace with a fabulous view of the water.  We walked through the Palace Kitchens and the Imperial Treasury.  So much to see!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNLmwEZ3bspVLDeK4JsAr6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781072

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPaRzo-8KoWBhxTZtB5I0x?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781081

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzj_zdcOguRj1nMb1_XwtG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781087

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlt3YflzzI1Ob7-x0YQeTN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781093

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI6GUaFWAPpyS-9Ngg08M_j?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781108

Finally we went to the Harem section of the Palace Museums.  At one time it was occupied by the Sultan, his mother, wives and concubines.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRFZySe_rYscxu-fhXT3dP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781126

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIuE40psvGU1ztOMvt0PKM-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781130

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVKpw2Blntc7B4j6jhpM4w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781133

Room for a crowd!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcs3ht2fRLphzKm5jKrCrR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783750

Always a nice ceiling to look at.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrLG450SJC2lPH4wSJM5GL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783753

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2JD3PcxttZir2BciwVArL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783711

From here we went to Hagia Sophia.  It was originally a church, then a mosque and then turned into a museum. Hagia Sophia photos coming up next.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

Our snow from yesterday has all melted.  It is going to be a gray day today with lots of cloud cover and moderate temperatures for this time of year.  So, I will be out doing my laps as soon as I finish here.  Then, I want to get downtown to a kitchen/coffee shop to get Sue a special spatula for making her eggs in the morning.  It is one of her few culinary feats - she makes great over easy eggs.  

@grapau27 I'm glad things went well with your surgery today.  May it heal quickly.

@kazu Jacqui, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  We're supposed to get the storm here in Michigan on Wednesday, so perhaps you'll beat it out.  We're really not getting much of it and they have only forecast 1-3 inches.  

Today's meal should definitely be considered a comfort food due to the creaminess of the Alfredo sauce.  This meal has a low enough carb count that it is doable for me.  I'd try it with a salad on the side.  

This first one is very keto friendly due to the substitution of spaghetti squash for pasta.  For those who have never done that, yes pasta is better, but the squash isn't terribly squashy and does make a nice alternative.  And, it does slide down smoothly.   https://thatlowcarblife.com/spaghetti-squash-alfredo/

793681975_spaghettisquashalfredo1.thumb.jpg.6341e3ef358bff4104d0267139fd1757.jpg

This next one is a skinnied down version.  It swaps ingredients to make a sauce that isn't quite so full of fats while still being good on the carbs and allowing for a side salad.   There is also some chicken in it for the carnivores.  You can leave out the chicken for the vegetarians.   https://dishingouthealth.com/skinny-chicken-alfredo-stuffed-spaghetti-squash/

1264118870_spaghettisquashalfredo2.thumb.jpg.e1f653260aea1383fc3615ef0360743f.jpg

This next one is a vegetarian version that incorporates fresh spinach and sun dried tomatoes.  If you want, you can add in chicken or sausage or even shrimp.   https://saporitokitchen.com/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-tuscan-alfredo/

850002234_spaghettisquashalfredo4.thumb.jpg.44516ee10432f3c4cd7c7f3557378f42.jpg

Using these recipes as an idea launch, you can easily come up with your own version to satisfy your own tastes.  

Prayers for all who are ailing and wishing them a speedy recovery.   We can celebrate all the little victories along the way and swell that celebration list.  We all have something we are celebrating today.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a nice warm day in Aruba (read that hot!) and we will probably go out later to sweat a bit.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  I read the plea for assistance to post and see a few have said they might be able to help.  If you would like I will offer my help too.🙋‍♀️  There are a couple of days I might be delayed and could use assistance but I don't see a lot of travel in our future.  Let me know if this sounds good to you.

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists too.  We have a lot of people to pray for so we'd better all get busy.  Jacqui @kazuI am praying you outwit Mother Nature and make it to your cruise on time or even early.  Graham @grapau27glad your surgery is finished and hope all heals well for you.

Our port today Istanbul, Turkey is a big one.  It was posted here on Nov. 21, 2021 and here is Rich's post from that day for photo retrieval.  I know I for one had many photos so you will all be sick of them by the time I'm finished!

We were honored to take a Black Sea followed by a Holy Land cruise on the Prinsendam in 2014.  It was our first cruise on HAL and what an introduction it was!  We stayed two days in Istanbul so we got to do a lot of exploring around the city.

We arrived in Istanbul in late afternoon on Oct. 9, 2014.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjq8wMqhIQD92nBFPbYmSN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780907

We had time to get off the ship and walk to a nearby hotel to borrow some wi-fi before dinner.  Thank you Nidya Hotel.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-KkXZjlkRSBsiBuMbI6mp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780914

The next day we walked across the Galata Bridge to see the Topkapi Palace Museum.  See how close the boats are to the bridge?  In the background you can see Hagia Sophia's minarets.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ8jckqOQmIVj03LfJVl5Nh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780952

We passed many shops selling spices and Turkish delights.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFwx_sJJpkw1Oz2v_000-b?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416780972

The Imperial Gate entrance to Topkapi Palace Museum.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyGfTQmlWKfzcrMfGZi35u?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781010

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcT2HT4Z9TwBj5wlCleQW5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781070

We bought a Museum Pass and headed toward the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.  We checked out artifacts on the lawn and entered the Tiled Kiosk to see the pottery and tile displays.  No cameras were allowed in the Archaeological Museum.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLM2_VS9HOdqoAZ0Yci0CpZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781034

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJfwDCVDHFS-dbfjnI6tSuI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781028

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKFK5x_9nvuODuhO--mZGuq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781043

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKVtJsiOWgXxJdejbyZ004n?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781052

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXJCwb4RiFjyyQOB32M2RZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781053

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAPcRteF91O7_eqicSeR5O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781058

Then we headed through the Gate of Salutations into the Topkapi Palace Museums which housed everything from jewelry to weapons.  One of the museums had a terrace with a fabulous view of the water.  We walked through the Palace Kitchens and the Imperial Treasury.  So much to see!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLNLmwEZ3bspVLDeK4JsAr6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781072

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPaRzo-8KoWBhxTZtB5I0x?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781081

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzj_zdcOguRj1nMb1_XwtG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781087

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlt3YflzzI1Ob7-x0YQeTN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781093

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI6GUaFWAPpyS-9Ngg08M_j?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781108

Finally we went to the Harem section of the Palace Museums.  At one time it was occupied by the Sultan, his mother, wives and concubines.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRFZySe_rYscxu-fhXT3dP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781126

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIuE40psvGU1ztOMvt0PKM-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781130

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVKpw2Blntc7B4j6jhpM4w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416781133

Room for a crowd!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcs3ht2fRLphzKm5jKrCrR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783750

Always a nice ceiling to look at.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrLG450SJC2lPH4wSJM5GL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783753

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2JD3PcxttZir2BciwVArL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416783711

From here we went to Hagia Sophia.  It was originally a church, then a mosque and then turned into a museum. Hagia Sophia photos coming up next.

Thank you for your nice words and lovely photos Sandi.

I hope you both have a brilliant time in Aruba.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Our snow from yesterday has all melted.  It is going to be a gray day today with lots of cloud cover and moderate temperatures for this time of year.  So, I will be out doing my laps as soon as I finish here.  Then, I want to get downtown to a kitchen/coffee shop to get Sue a special spatula for making her eggs in the morning.  It is one of her few culinary feats - she makes great over easy eggs.  

@grapau27 I'm glad things went well with your surgery today.  May it heal quickly.

@kazu Jacqui, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  We're supposed to get the storm here in Michigan on Wednesday, so perhaps you'll beat it out.  We're really not getting much of it and they have only forecast 1-3 inches.  

Today's meal should definitely be considered a comfort food due to the creaminess of the Alfredo sauce.  This meal has a low enough carb count that it is doable for me.  I'd try it with a salad on the side.  

This first one is very keto friendly due to the substitution of spaghetti squash for pasta.  For those who have never done that, yes pasta is better, but the squash isn't terribly squashy and does make a nice alternative.  And, it does slide down smoothly.   https://thatlowcarblife.com/spaghetti-squash-alfredo/

793681975_spaghettisquashalfredo1.thumb.jpg.6341e3ef358bff4104d0267139fd1757.jpg

This next one is a skinnied down version.  It swaps ingredients to make a sauce that isn't quite so full of fats while still being good on the carbs and allowing for a side salad.   There is also some chicken in it for the carnivores.  You can leave out the chicken for the vegetarians.   https://dishingouthealth.com/skinny-chicken-alfredo-stuffed-spaghetti-squash/

1264118870_spaghettisquashalfredo2.thumb.jpg.e1f653260aea1383fc3615ef0360743f.jpg

This next one is a vegetarian version that incorporates fresh spinach and sun dried tomatoes.  If you want, you can add in chicken or sausage or even shrimp.   https://saporitokitchen.com/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-tuscan-alfredo/

850002234_spaghettisquashalfredo4.thumb.jpg.44516ee10432f3c4cd7c7f3557378f42.jpg

Using these recipes as an idea launch, you can easily come up with your own version to satisfy your own tastes.  

Prayers for all who are ailing and wishing them a speedy recovery.   We can celebrate all the little victories along the way and swell that celebration list.  We all have something we are celebrating today.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thank you Debbie for your kind sentiments.

Nice food photos as always.

Graham.

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Speaking of gift wrapping, I saw something funny online yesterday - it's a new drinking game.  Set your favourite libation out on a side table with a shot glass.  When you're wrapping your gifts, every time you lose either the scissors or tape, take a drink.   LOL

And the Messy Gift Wrappers Guild was formed.....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good morning  everyone. The trees look  beautiful  with icy branches.Dog walking was done by our teenager earlier today.The snow was only  two or three inches and he was disappointed  that he had to go to school.

We gave not been to  the port  but the pictures are lovely, thanks Sandi @StLouisCruisers. The recipes are also looking very good to me and may get the Executive  chef's approval. Tana was feeling well enough to manage a shower this morning with her sisters' help and is now sound asleep so I will consult with her later.

@ger_77, I think that we will follow your suggestion  so that we can all be together  on Christmas. Thank you!

Wishing all of you a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Thanks Rich and all who contribute to making this a great place to be.  In four days I will be flying out to Fort Lauderdale for my two short and one Grand cruise around South America. Today I will start organizing my carry on. I just don't want to jinks it by starting to early and having the flights canceled or something. I know that worst case scenario I could rent a car and drive that far but it would be an extreme effort. Life is never boring, that is for sure. Rich, I sure hope you have a wonderful adventure. I think we will cross paths several times, during our travels this time. Prayers for all. 

• Like 24

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

And the Messy Gift Wrappers Guild was formed.....

If it's OK, I'll skip the wrapping (nothing to wrap except a gift card) and go straight to the libation.

Which reminds me: I'm hosting the oneg and kiddush (receptions, basically, like a church coffee hour with no coffee) at the synagogue after the services on December 23 and 24, my birthday. Most of the time it is just a thimbleful of wine, a piece of challah, and optional cookies, but I'm adding cheese and wine on Friday evening, herring and Danish snaps on Saturday morning. It's a Danish tradition to have a round of drinks in the morning on one's birthday, and I brought the snaps back from Copenhagen.

People often do this for a "significant" birthday, which this is not. That was last year, but in 2020 the synagogue had mistakenly approached covid as a food-borne disease and was still hinky about food last December.

It happens that the liturgy for the Saturday morning is among the most complicated of any Shabbat morning in the year: readings from three separate Torah scrolls, a special Prophets reading from Zechariah, and full Hallel, the six psalms that are sung on every festival (it's the Sabbath during Hanukkah, and also the first day of the Jewish month). One of these, Psalm 118, is fairly long.

Our rabbi has promised not to draw the service out to the maximum possible length. He mentioned that it is also Shabbat Festivus--he often commemorates secular occasions, such as the Fourth of July, in the liturgy. I asked that there be no Airing of Grievances, which for me would be too much like work.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu if you can't make December 17 would you still consider the other 2 cruises of just cancel completely?

Roy

I’d cancel, I think Roy unless things change.  there are storms next week too & no decent flights left and what are - ludicrous price.  If my flight can be re-scheduled - I don’t see any decent options at all and I doubt they will put extra flights on out of here.

I’m a bit indecisive right now.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 11

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Suppose to be flying on Wednesday shortly after noon hour.  I’m on the fence whether to pack or not.

Pack Jacqui!  You deserve this trip🎄🛳🎅

@dfishToday’s recipes look delicious.  

I make a spaghetti squash lasagna that even the carnivores enjoy.  If you’ve never had spaghetti squash, I encourage you to try it.  It is very different from other squash and an excellent pasta substitute for those of you watching your carbs.

Thank you to everyone who posts port pictures, my favorite part of the Daily.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Our DD and her boyfriend were at the Istanbul airport for a stoppover on their way to a walking/driving tour through much of Croatia and Serbia. We knew they were arriving in Istanbul on June 16, 2016. We woke up to this news report that day: A gun and bomb attack on Istanbul's Ataturk airport has killed 41 people, at least 13 of them foreigners, and injured more than 230, officials say.

Of course, as parents, we had no peace until we heard from them a day later. Turkey is 11 hours ahead of our local time and they had been to the airport and were gone prior to the attack. They recognized some of the employees at the airport, pictured in the news reports, as people they had seen that morning.

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

@kochleffel replied that they would be able to do it some days and would post if no one else did earlier. That would work. Each morning someone different could post.

I should be able to do it through December 26, but maybe not on the 27th, 28th, or 29th, when I plan to be in Washington with only an iPad, weather permitting. The hotel in Rosslyn where I used to stay has been torn down so I'll be trying a different one.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Decorating gingerbread is not something I'm likely to do; if ambrosia refers to the Southern concoction of citrus fruits, sugar, and coconut, possibly with additions, I'll pass; and I wouldn't risk exposing the Junior Cat to poinsettias. Anything Alfredo is off my list unless it can be made lactose-free. I've been nowhere in Turkey except Kusadasi and Ephesus, last spring on the Norwegian Jade.

We have s-n-o-w on the ground, but none remaining on the streets.

1981427957_reddanglythings.thumb.jpg.c2d4f33d965f5bd64e7b6fa0ff093f1e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 8

Good morning all,

We have more rain! Real rain! All the previous storms turned inland before they got here. We should have snow in our mountains.

Last night we had the fire department food parade. They had about a dozen trucks with only 2 of them decorated ( usually they each are covered with lights and inflatables, run by external generators), and the really big truck with the second driver on the tail didn’t participate. But there was no rain during the parade.

@richwmn I’m willing to help, but not sure how practical that is as being located on the left coast, we’re usually we into the second page by the time I’m up.

@kazu Hoping you can get out for your cruise. Perhaps if we sent something like this it might help?

https://youtu.be/EA06hL4VemA

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 19
  • Haha 2

Good morning.  I've been away from the Daily as we were in Maui for 10 days.  No gingerbread-making or poinsettia-arranging for me.  I'm in the Covid penalty box -- with the entire list of typical symptoms.  My holiday prep in in peril.  :classic_sad:

Looks like lots of frustration around CC with subpar cruises lately.  Land travel is no different.  Even staying in a high-end place and dining at good restaurants, our Hawaii escape was not what we've come to expect.  Things go up and down.

For each one reading this, hoping good things come your way today.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The ship shut down the internet to quote work on it unquote so we’re heading outside to wander. I’ll try to finish photos later. 

I hope they can get the internet working well for your benefit and for when we board on the 27th.  

@richwmnthank you for all that you pull together for us each day on the Daily and Fleet Reports.   I haven't decorated gingerbread I will leave it for the experts.   I haven't had ambrosia in years.  None of it showed up at our garden club potluck.    Pointsettia are beautiful but I haven't had one in years.  I was fortunate that my 2 kitties were well-behaved about holiday decorations.  Their first Christmas they were a year old and they had fun climbing the tree and after that it was an occasional batting at the ornaments at the bottom for the tree.   The did not munch any house plants.   A great quote by Twain.  I will pass on the spaghetti squash, no matter how much cream or cheese it just doesn't work for me.  No on the melon drink but the Nebbiolo looks really nice.  @StLouisCruisersthanks for the beautiful of Istanbul.  @grapau27I am happy to hear your surgery went well.  @rafinmdI am glad your lip ailment is on the mend.  Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  @kazuI hope you are able to dodge the weather and can get to your cruise.    I am already beginning to watch the forecast for December 22 when we begin our slow trip to Fort Lauderdale.   I don't want to leave early because of weather because I have a nail appointment at the last possible moment on the 21st.    My skin check was per usual, a few actinic keratoses on my face that I treat with some type of chemotherapy cream for 2 weeks and a spot on my arm I will have to keep and eye on.   No visit to DB today because my appointment was at 8 and it would be too early to visit.   

Topping everything off our furnace started acting up yesterday.  It would start but not stay on.   I ran a space heater in the bedroom overnight which worked and now are running the gas fireplace with the blower in the great room. We had someone at the house by 9 and if the part is available in town it will be fixed today.   Thankfully it is mild for mid-December Michigan.  I also have a technician from the propane company coming today to check our gas output.  Our range burners have been running orange for weeks so something is up.   Have a nice Monday and when I am caught up I may post food porn from our chapter's wine dinner last evening.  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a cloudy, cool, but not windy central Texas.  Our rain is supposed to begin about 4 pm, and be on an off again until noon tomorrow.  Today, I'll be boxing up some of the cookies to mail and other to take to neighbors.  The rest I'll add to the ones left from the first batch.

It seems like I was a day or two early for gingerbread decorating day. I would never attempt to make a gingerbread house, but at least the cookies are flat and don't have to be glued to one another.  I'll pass on the ambrosia and the poinsettias.  After a couple of years having poinsettias in the house, we figured out they caused an allergic reaction.

The Mark Twin quote is probably even truer today than it was in his day.

We'll pass on the spaghetti squash and the drink.  The wine sounds interesting, but a little pricey.

We were in Istanbul on September 24, 2008 on the Prinsendam.  We were scheduled to be there in 2016, but the bombing at the airport and the coup attempt changed the itinerary for the Black Sea cruise. 

@seagarsmoker  That's good news your at now 90% of normal.  Hope you are 100% soon.

@rafinmd  Roy, I was glad to read your lips are feel pretty normal now.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, the new snow looks so nice and peaceful, and I can enjoy it from afar.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm pleased everything went well this morning.  I'll pass on the picture you took.  🤣

@kazu  Jacqui, fingers crossed 🤞 that you can fly out of there on Wednesday.

@dfish Debbie and @ger_77  Gerry, add me to the Messy Gift Wrappers Guild, although I haven't wrapped a gift since 2019.  

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that Tana was feeling well enough for a shower this morning.  I bet the shower made her feel even better.

@HAL4NOW  I'm glad your DD and her boyfriend had already left the Istanbul airport before the bombing.

@AncientWanderer  Maxine, I'm sorry you have covid, and hope you are over it soon.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I'm glad your skin check showed nothing more serious than what can be treated with a cream.  Sorry that your furnace has been hit by the gremlins. 

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9