9:00AM FLIGHT OUT OF FT LAUDERDALE?

llarsen

Hi,

I am looking at air for a Sky Princess cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

Itinerary says ship docks at 6:00am (I am aware that there can be delays).

We will do self disembark as early as possible and we have TSA Pre-Check.

Question:

Would 9:00am flight be okay? 

The next earliest flight isn't until 3:00pm

I'm asking those who have actually had a good or bad experience with this early of a flight out of FLL.

It's been many years since we have flown out of FLL.

Thank you!

• Haha 2

Is that the actual time your flight takes off?  If yes, that means boarding will begin at 8:30am, and if you are cutting it that close, the airline can give your seat away 15 to 20 minutes before the flight time.

Do you have luggage or just a carry-on?

Consider flying out of Miami if you don't want to wait until mid-afternoon. 

We've flown out of Ft Lauderdale twice, and were never to the airport that early.

Docking time isn't getting off the ship time.  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

No way Jose.  Too much risk if/when something goes wrong.  Docking at 6:00am is just "the plan".  While it may very well dock at 6:00am, you will not be able to get off the ship until local authorities give the go-ahead...and that can easily sometimes take over an hour.  My personal advice would be to plan on a 7:30am self-disembark.  We have made the 10:30 flights without issue.

• Like 1

Earlier this year, we easily made a 11:20 am flight out.

We had earliest low # tag for luggage pickup at terminal.

Virtually no lines for immigration & customs, got out in 5 minutes.

No lines for taxi.

At airport in less than 15 minutes, before 9 am.

So recommend u Book 3 pm flight & relax...

• Like 2

no, nope, nada, don't even try.

Ships can be delayed, traffic can be heavy and why stress yourself.

Always take advice from the cruise lines, and book after 11:30 am or even better 1pm.

relax and people watch at the airport which in Orlando can have heavy TSA so I would never book a flight before 1pm.

• Like 1

Is there a good reason that you have to take the 9:00 flight.  I would disembark as late as possible and relax getting to the airport.  Bring a book w you and read it while waiting for the plane.  Your plan will only maximize your stress level at the end of the cruise.

DON

• Like 1

I have made an 8:15 flight before but that wasn't the flight I actually had booked. I paid for a flight change at the airport because I got there so early. I did express walk-off and took taxi to airport. I also had global entry for the pier, TSA precheck at the airport and I only had carryon luggage. That being said I dont think I would have actually booked that early of a flight.

• Like 2

Depends on how you deal with risk. 0900 is a big risk. You could go for it. But if you miss it, will the airline charge you a rescheduling fee, etc. for the 1500 flight? Is the 1500 flight oversold? If you're a gambler, then do it. I would book the 1500 flight because I don't like feeling self-imposed stress. 

Don't do it. I have had ships delayed in clearing for anyone to disembark and the last time I tried to disembark, my medallion beeped when I went to exit. I had to wait 30 minutes for someone to come from customs/immigration to speak to me and all they said was "I don't need to speak with her"..... Too many issues.

This time doesn't even give you time to see your psychiatrist before boarding the plane!

You've just spent a week relaxing, so why undo it all with the stress of trying to make a flight you'll most likely miss???

Try looking at Miami if you really must fly earlier than 3:00pm, otherwise have breakfast, breathe and take your time!

12/18/22 Ship docked at 6am. 1st walk offs were delayed until 8am. I was off at 8:25, at airport by 9:15, through security by 9:30, & my 1pm flight went off without a hitch. Either change to Miami or do 1 with a connection. 

Our last Ft Lauderdale arrival put us in the same dilemma.  Ended up taking a tour with airport drop-off to kill time but departure was delayed 3 hours so checked luggage and took an uber to a nearby brewpub and enjoyed a great pizza away from the hustle of the airport.   

You might or might not make it.  Do you really need that kind of stress at the end of your vacation?  We've had cruises arriving in Port E that had surprise govt. inspections, and we didn't get to FLL until 1pm.  The arrival time isn't necessarily the time that the port officials allow passenger to disembark.

We live very close to FLL and last month we disembarked the Caribbean Princess at 7:15am and was home by 7:45am. Is it technically possible to catch a 9am flight? Yes. But if you factor in Uber/cab ride, checking in bags, waiting in TSA pre-check security line and walking to your gate and making it at least 10 minutes before the plane doors close, I wouldn't risk it or want that stress. But if you're into that type of adventure I say go for it!