Celebrity not honouring rate?

PJ2911

16 minutes ago, PJ2911 said:

Has anyone ever booked, paid a deposit then a few weeks later had celebrity ring and say they have made a mistake on the price and can no longer honour the booking???

Have you? If so did you call Celebrity back at a later time and speak with someone about the call to validate it's a legitimate call from Celebrity? 

• Thanks 1

Basically we booked, paid a deposit and have a confirmed invoice for the price. Celebrity have called today and left a message to say the price was incorrect and we must cancel and rebook at the higher price?

Just now, davekathy said:

Have you? If so did you call Celebrity back at a later time and speak with someone about the call to validate it's a legitimate call from Celebrity? 

Yes, I tried to ring the UK call centre today, they are closed. The call came from the US office.

Was the price you paid clearly a mistake or did it seem like a genuine price? If you are in the UK speak to citizens advice as when you pay a deposit for a cruise you have a contract with the seller so they should honor the price. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PJ2911 said:

Has anyone ever booked, paid a deposit then a few weeks later had celebrity ring and say they have made a mistake on the price and can no longer honour the booking???

Try reporting Celebrity to your state's attorney general for false advertising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Obobru said:

Was the price you paid clearly a mistake or did it seem like a genuine price? If you are in the UK speak to citizens advice as when you pay a deposit for a cruise you have a contract with the seller so they should honor the price. 

Same with the US, Here,  you can contact your State Attorney General and have their Consumer Protection Division take a look at your Information….Call them explain your case and see what they say……

Edited by mpdog42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think somebody once mentioned in these sorts of threads that they happened to be on Princess (or HAL), and happened to get a quote and the suite came out at the same price as like an ocean view or balcony... so they quickly snapped it up.  The suite was something like 10% of what the rate should have been. They never heard anything from the cruise line, took the cruise, and were treated no differently from any other cruise passenger.

I guess it depends on how much you paid for the cruise and what not, but threatening legal action, calling a solicitor, etc.... realize that it's just as easy for Royal Caribbean to ban you from ever sailing on their fleet again and there won't be a whole lot you can do about it.

I mean, if you got in no an obvious price mistake, don't expect any line to honor it.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

Hi all, spoke to celebrity UK this morning. Say it was a huge system glitch with the pricing. They reserve the right to amend prices due to errors. All they can offer is cancel and rebook with 10% off with a new increase of £4000. Or cancel altogether for refund. Appreciate its T&Cs but a very poor way to do business, when you think you are getting a good deal, beware that they can back track on that. Always sail Celebrity and have to say it’s left a sour taste in our mouths.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Unfortunately going forward the customer has no idea of if Celebrity will honor any future booking !!!

You sure have taken a giant leap.

It is reasonable to say that Celebrity will not honor pricing errors that have been quickly recognized and corrected.  

• Like 11

After years and years when the policy could have been enforced and wasn’t, it’s a huge leap to worry about what will happen in the future. First of all it’s unlikely they will make such drastic pricing errors, and secondly, I don’t think we can predict how they would handle it if they do.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PJ2911 said:

Hi all, spoke to celebrity UK this morning. Say it was a huge system glitch with the pricing. They reserve the right to amend prices due to errors. All they can offer is cancel and rebook with 10% off with a new increase of £4000. Or cancel altogether for refund. Appreciate its T&Cs but a very poor way to do business, when you think you are getting a good deal, beware that they can back track on that. Always sail Celebrity and have to say it’s left a sour taste in our mouths.

I would ask this before giving up completely. I have sailed recently n suites that cost less than $300 a day and some that were over $600+ per day. Cruise pricing is so varied that it is safe to assume suite pricing will be equally varied. If the price you expected to pay was within the realm of reason, how can they claim a mistake was made? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

You sure have taken a giant leap.

It is reasonable to say that Celebrity will not honor pricing errors that have been quickly recognized and corrected.  

I would like clearer definitions of "pricing errors" and "quickly" because in the recent cases, I find neither to be true. Were they very attractive prices? Absolutely. Were they clearly errors? Not to me, no. We're not talking 99 cents for a cruise which is the spirit of the Errors and Omissions clause. We're talking $200+ pp/pd for suites for very short cruises. Cheap for sure especially recently, but certainly not unheard of.

And waiting 3 weeks before pulling the rug out from under customers is not at all quick. Doing the right thing would have taken a day. The fact that it took as long as it did indicates to me that they needed to be sure they were covered for acting in bad faith.

I agree with the poster you replied to. This is a bad precedent to set and it's not at all a giant leap.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I would like clearer definitions of "pricing errors" and "quickly" because in the recent cases, I find neither to be true. Were they very attractive prices? Absolutely. Were they clearly errors? Not to me, no. We're not talking 99 cents for a cruise which is the spirit of the Errors and Omissions clause. We're talking $200+ pp/pd for suites for very short cruises. Cheap for sure especially recently, but certainly not unheard of.

And waiting 3 weeks before pulling the rug out from under customers is not at all quick. Doing the right thing would have taken a day. The fact that it took as long as it did indicates to me that they needed to be sure they were covered for acting in bad faith.

I agree with the poster you replied to. This is a bad precedent to set and it's not at all a giant leap.

I had posted this in the now-removed thread, but it bears repeating here.  Although there is no universal definition on what constitutes a pricing mistake, in all fairness to Celebrity, the recent Silhouette pricing controversy was interpreted to be an error by at least two different Cruise Critic members.

image.jpeg.026c665d720cef5757168d47400f3e9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.e9ee0ab93d7e2fddf6a3727d7a0df2d2.jpeg

• Like 3