Persian Garden clothing etiquette

BTwurddle

Good morning everyone! I have a question about proper dress etiquette for the Persian Garden. We will be sailing on Reflection in a few weeks in aqua class. I loved the PG on Solstice on my last cruise in November but since that ship was only sailing at 30% capacity there was literally never anyone else using the PG at the times I went. My question is since it is a coed environment requiring a swim suit rather than a well secured towel, should one wear a robe over their bathing suit inside the steam and sauna rooms? It seems like doing so would limit the benefits by covering most of ones body but then again Id be terribly embarrassed to make another passenger uncomfortable by enjoying the space in just swim trunks. Ultimately I guess it isnt much different than the pool deck or hot tubs and nobody wears a robe in the hot tubs... Well on Solstice there was one nice lady who wore a very smart pant suit in the solarium jacuzzi but Im sure Tom Collins was partly responsible for convincing her to do that. It never hurts to ask so there we go. How do you enjoy the Persian Garden?

Thanks everyone for any replies. Happy sailing.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BTwurddle said:

Good morning everyone! I have a question about proper dress etiquette for the Persian Garden. We will be sailing on Reflection in a few weeks in aqua class. I loved the PG on Solstice on my last cruise in November but since that ship was only sailing at 30% capacity there was literally never anyone else using the PG at the times I went. My question is since it is a coed environment requiring a swim suit rather than a well secured towel, should one wear a robe over their bathing suit inside the steam and sauna rooms? It seems like doing so would limit the benefits by covering most of ones body but then again Id be terribly embarrassed to make another passenger uncomfortable by enjoying the space in just swim trunks. Ultimately I guess it isnt much different than the pool deck or hot tubs and nobody wears a robe in the hot tubs... Well on Solstice there was one nice lady who wore a very smart pant suit in the solarium jacuzzi but Im sure Tom Collins was partly responsible for convincing her to do that. It never hurts to ask so there we go. How do you enjoy the Persian Garden?

Thanks everyone for any replies. Happy sailing.

No need for a robe in the steam and sauna.  Some wear one while on the loungers.  Reflection's PG is a bit more expansive that Solstice, as it includes a cold room.  Towel only is fine in the sauna located in the locker room (at least in my experience on the mens' side.)  Most go buff in fact with a towel to sit on.    Enjoy.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BTwurddle said:

My question is since it is a coed environment requiring a swim suit rather than a well secured towel, should one wear a robe over their bathing suit inside the steam and sauna rooms? It seems like doing so would limit the benefits by covering most of ones body but then again Id be terribly embarrassed to make another passenger uncomfortable by enjoying the space in just swim trunks. Ultimately I guess it isnt much different than the pool deck or hot tubs and nobody wears a robe in the hot tubs.

You're overthinking this. A swimsuit is just fine. TBH if you can securely tuck a towel to properly cover your private areas just a towel is fine too. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keesar said:

We were on the Beyond last week.  Most wore swimwear in the steam/sauna rooms.  Then when leaving the room, most would put their robe back on.

What did those not part of "most" wear?  Just curious as I can't imagine a robe in a steam room.  That doesn't seem to leave a lot of other options.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

What did those not part of "most" wear?  Just curious as I can't imagine a robe in a steam room.  That doesn't seem to leave a lot of other options.   

Just a towel, Turkish bath style. I wear a swimsuit though. I don't think there is officially any rules. However, you should always have some fabric, ie towel or swimsuit, between you and the bench in the sauna/steam rooms and the loungers. Technically, I guess the hot tub is up to you. Again, I just wear a swimsuit. This isn't a bath in Germany or Japan, so swimsuits are not forbidden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ldubs said:

There were people wearing robes in the sauna. crystalarium and salt room.  Not in the steam rooms.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Given that it's co-ed, I would HOPE that people wear at least a swimsuit. I'm not paying AQ prices to look at someone's junk.

agree.. swimsuit  and flip flops in the the rooms, sit on a towel for hygiene  and hang a light cover up on hooks outside the rms/ shower.. robes seem heavy for the environment

just a towel is ok in single gender saunas on some older ships..if they still exist ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

just a towel is ok in single gender saunas on some older ships..if they still exist ????

A complementary sauna in the gym/spa locker rooms are located on all M & S class ships. 

17 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Given that it's co-ed, I would HOPE that people wear at least a swimsuit. I'm not paying AQ prices to look at someone's junk.

What does what you're paying have to do with anything? You don't want to see, don't look then. It's not all about YOU. 

I was told that a towel over the lounger helps it to get hotter.  

If it does or doesn’t I always cover the lounger with a few towels.  

If you plan on using any of the sauna rooms or shower you would probably want to wear a bathing suit.

Sometimes I go there wearing regular clothing 

There is no dress code that I know of.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On sailings outside of North America, be prepared to observe spa goers in the buff. Nudity is, after all, the norm in European and Asian spa facilities.

With that said, most wear swimsuits or wrap themselves in a towel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nado44 said:

On sailings outside of North America, be prepared to observe spa goers in the buff. Nudity is, after all, the norm in European and Asian spa facilities.

Americans are prudes when it comes nudity. I can't imagine we are CURRENTLY have people that are embarrassed about the most famous statue ever created on Earth, Michelangelo's David. Teachers are being FIRED for teaching about this statue. A statue. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

Sometimes I go there wearing regular clothing 

You should not be using the infrared sauna in street clothes, and definitely not the steam rooms. That is not appropriate at all. 

26 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Americans are prudes when it comes nudity. I can't imagine we are CURRENTLY have people that are embarrassed about the most famous statue ever created on Earth, Michelangelo's David. Teachers are being FIRED for teaching about this statue. A statue. 

The statues do not look anything similar to real life.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I wear standard pool clothes.

That's fine. But no one should be wearing the same clothes they went into the buffet for breakfast and lunch into the steam or sauna rooms. That's inappropriate. If you want to wear CLEAN, previously not worn clothes into the sauna and steam room, that's fine. 

And please, don't wear outside sneakers into the steam and sauna. And no mobile phones either. It's not Starbucks. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

You should not be using the infrared sauna in street clothes, and definitely not the steam rooms. That is not appropriate at all. 

I wear wear my street clothes in the steam room to get them steam cleaned.    Works great.   🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's fine. But no one should be wearing the same clothes they went into the buffet for breakfast and lunch into the steam or sauna rooms. That's inappropriate. If you want to wear CLEAN, previously not worn clothes into the sauna and steam room, that's fine. 

And please, don't wear outside sneakers into the steam and sauna. And no mobile phones either. It's not Starbucks. 

OMG.  How can you see the phone to dial in the steam room.  🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

OMG.  How can you see the phone to dial in the steam room.  🙂 

It's ridiculous what the younger generation does at the sauna and steam rooms at my gym at home. They go into a steam room fully dressed with full workout clothes, socks and sneakers, and phones with airpods on. Mind you this is prior to working out, it's to warm up. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Mine isnt ‘junk’, its Jewels!

And yes, swimsuit is the dress of the day, and a robe is fine for going around the area, and I use a towel on the warm lounges but no robe…and trunks.

Den