Is tipping sort of mandatory for a good table?

This has been our experience on our last 2 cruises. We always opt for MTD and usually try to book a reservation for about 6:30. We are just a party of 2 and always ask if we could share but, it seems sharing is out of fashion these days. So we also ask for a possible window table and are usually told that none are available right at that time. They then take us to a table 'close' to a window where we see several window tables for 2 that are empty. When I inquired as to why we can't sit there, I was told they are 'reserved', I question the waiter and then the maitre'd as I thought you could not reserve a table for MTD, then the 'light-bulb' sort of went off, if you want one of those tables for the entire cruise, slip the person who assigns the tables something extra and you will get any table you like and they will hold it for you.

We have noticed this constantly lately as we see the same people sitting at the same exact window table every night and we are usually there before them.

Has anyone else experienced something like this, where reservations can't be made for a specific table, but with a few extra dollars, it is done regularly?

Cheers

Len

It's not for a few bucks extra. it's simply  that you reserve the same table and same time every night. 

Go the first night and set it up that way. If you use MTD to go at various times throughout the week, then it doesn't work, you get what's available. 

• Like 2

When we have MTD, we never have to slip anyone a tip to get the same server and table everynight.  We go the first night and find a table we like and waitstaff we like.  When we leave that first night, we stop at the desk on the way out and ask for that table and staff for the rest of the week.  Never an issue, no money changes hands.

• Like 5

We always do MTD and could care less where we sit as long as it is not right by the entrance.  We never tip for the same table or a special table.  We don't care if we get the same wait staff.  We ask for a 2 top and we always get it.  What we do at the end of our meal, is leave a tip on the table since we don't know if we will have the same wait staff the next night.  

I have always been able to get the same table/waitstaff with MTD.  Never had to tip to get it.  I make reservations for approximately the same time each night and head to the MDR when I board to check out tables.  FYI, unless your sailing allows you to eat prior to sunset, windows turn into mirrors after dark.  I sure as heck don’t need to watch myself eat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We check out our seating when we first arrive on board.  If I prefer something else, I push a tip and make the request.  We tip at home for improved seating at restaurants and I don't see this any different.  Is it required, I would hope not, but that is our practice and has always been. We do this in the specialty restaurants as well. 

Edited by nimbex1970

3 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

We check out our seating when we first arrive on board.  If I prefer something else, I push a tip and make the request.  We tip at home for improved seating at restaurants and I don't see this any different.  Is it required, I would hope not, but that is our practice and has always been. We do this in the specialty restaurants as well. 

Nice to have such an elitist attitude and chutzpah that on a day when the maître d's are being bombarded with requests for table and time changes that you can just waltz up and slip the guy a fin or Jackson and miraculously have your choice of table and time while the hoi-polloi have to struggle with whatever the lottery gives them.   Bet you have the owner suite too!🤑

We've found that in specialty restaurants a polite request for a different table on arrival works just as well.  Accept seats in MDR especially if YTD at peak times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

So you basically pay the staff to sell you a table that doesnt belong to them?

Lol. 

People do the same thing with bartenders, then post about "generous pours" and "my drink is always ready".

Same thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

I would call this behavior bribing.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

People do the same thing with bartenders, then post about "generous pours" and "my drink is always ready".

Same thing.

Well you arent really depriving another guest of that drink though are you.. but when you bribe the staff to give you the best table near the window someone else is disadvantaged by your willy waving dollar dollar bill bribery. 

I just get this image in my head of some **** in the movies buying things that arent for sale. Except in this case its 3 USD bills being given to a worker from the 3rd world. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

In 25 yrs of cruising with RCCL we've gotten just what we wanted by reserving online with RCLdining@rccl.com or mprieto1@rccl.com .  MTD make request first night.  We walk around on the MTD deck and make note of table numbers when we board.  We have never tipped to get it.  Tipping comes at the end.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, BecciBoo said:

In 25 yrs of cruising with RCCL we've gotten just what we wanted by reserving online with RCLdining@rccl.com or mprieto1@rccl.com .  MTD make request first night.  We walk around on the MTD deck and make note of table numbers when we board.  We have never tipped to get it.  Tipping comes at the end.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, crewsweeper said:

Nice to have such an elitist attitude and chutzpah that on a day when the maître d's are being bombarded with requests for table and time changes that you can just waltz up and slip the guy a fin or Jackson and miraculously have your choice of table and time while the hoi-polloi have to struggle with whatever the lottery gives them.   Bet you have the owner suite too!🤑

We've found that in specialty restaurants a polite request for a different table on arrival works just as well.  Accept seats in MDR especially if YTD at peak times.

My reply was for the OP specific question, as I stated, I certainly don't think this is required. Restaurants all over the US have tables held for their frequent flyers or those that tip.  This is possibly no different, yet as others have pointed out it is not required (as I surmised). We live in a large city, and the tip with the request for good seating is often required to not wait forever. This may indeed be an individual's practice on the OP's sailing.  It helps explain his circumstance. and @crewsweeper, sadly an owner's suite is not in my budget, I work very hard for my $ and it doesn't extend to that.  A balcony is a splurge. If my reply sounds elitist, so be it. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, ONECRUISER said:

I Fired a couple my Waitresses and a Bartender for Generous Pours

Where I go, regulars get a little bit extra.  It's good for the bartenders and good for the establishment.  It keeps people coming back.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:55 AM, crewsweeper said:

Wow!  Greek and Yiddish and French in the same post.  Talk about elitist!  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Where I go, regulars get a little bit extra.  It's good for the bartenders and good for the establishment.  It keeps people coming back.

Warned my Workers if they continued giving extra and while receiving extra Tip what would happen. Those that did I Fired for Theft. Took a couple Polls back then, majority didn't want extra Alcohol. Though do understand some like more Alcohol and some less for personal taste. Largest exception was College Crowd at my location next to College Campus Bar/Lounge, they wanted get Drunk for cheapest price. Binge drinkers. ... Sad thing was my then Bar/Rest was few hundred feet from the Michigan State U shooting

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 4:48 PM, reallyitsmema said:

When we have MTD, we never have to slip anyone a tip to get the same server and table everynight.  We go the first night and find a table we like and waitstaff we like.  When we leave that first night, we stop at the desk on the way out and ask for that table and staff for the rest of the week.  Never an issue, no money changes hands.

Same with us on every cruise we have been on where it was just the two of us.