Main reason for insurance

Dar & Bob

I know there have been quite a few threads about trip insurance.  A story surfaced today about a 78 year old man with his 80 year old GF on an Oceania cruise.  He got Covid was put in medical but when he got worse they were both put off in Dominica.  The family is now having to make arrangements to get them home.  Per the cruiselines contracts, they aren't responsible for you or to get you home.   

That is the reason to have insurance.  The daughter is saying the transport home is costing more than their trip..... Duh no kidding

Here is the link to the story : https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/couple-left-on-island-of-dominica-when-man-78-gets-covid-on-caribbean-cruise/3296782/#:~:text=Family members say the cruise ship dropped off,Riviera after testing positive%2C but his condition worsened.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

I know there have been quite a few threads about trip insurance.  A story surfaced today about a 78 year old man with his 80 year old GF on an Oceania cruise.  He got Covid was put in medical but when he got worse they were both put off in Dominica.  The family is now having to make arrangements to get them home.  Per the cruiselines contracts, they aren't responsible for you or to get you home.   

That is the reason to have insurance.  The daughter is saying the transport home is costing more than their trip..... Duh no kidding

Here is the link to the story : https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/couple-left-on-island-of-dominica-when-man-78-gets-covid-on-caribbean-cruise/3296782/#:~:text=Family members say the cruise ship dropped off,Riviera after testing positive%2C but his condition worsened.

We never travel anywhere out of the UK without full travel insurance. Our annual insurance overs us for an unlimited number of trips worldwide with a maximum of 30 days per trip at a total cost of around $260 ( cancellation, baggage, medical and repatriation. A small price for peace of mind.

• Like 6

I'm just astounded that folks in their age group did not have insurance. We wouldn't even think of it...we just wouldn't go. 

But age group aside, one should always have some sort of insurance when traveling...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In the US Medicare does not cover outside of the country.  Anyone in that age range who does not consider carrying supplemental insurance is playing with fire.  Some Medicare Advantage policies cover a certain amount, as do some credit cards.  But for complete (or very good) coverage, you need a supplement.  I personally do not buy general travel insurance for multiple reasons (one being fairly decent coverage on my credit card) but I always, always buy a medical supplement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

In the US Medicare does not cover outside of the country.  Anyone in that age range who does not consider carrying supplemental insurance is playing with fire.  Some Medicare Advantage policies cover a certain amount, as do some credit cards.  But for complete (or very good) coverage, you need a supplement.  I personally do not buy general travel insurance for multiple reasons (one being fairly decent coverage on my credit card) but I always, always buy a medical supplement.

Some Medigap policies cover - ours does after the first $250 but it's reimbursement so we have an annual policy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Maybe the couple could not get insurance because the GF is over 80 with medical issues.

That could be.  Until you've had something happen with someone you know I don't think you totally realize how bad it could be. 

We had a friend who fell in Florence going up a high curb (1 ft) and hit his head and hand.  Ambulance didn't come so went with the tour back to the ship.  They wanted him off but didn't have enough time to get him off.   It's crazy scary.  We have also known someone put off in the Caribbean due to a medical issue.

Another problem with the situation, is that they weren't married.  Many countries are like the US that unless you have a POA of some sort you can't make decisions for them.  

You must read the policy before you buy it to make sure they cover what you desire. In case of evacuation make sure that you determine when it’s necessary. Many companies contain clauses that THEY determine when it’s necessary. They are very good at selling policies, but they are reluctant to pay. Buyer beware and read the policy before you purchase.

• Like 4

We have a month-long trip with two cruises and a stay in Europe; our insurance is almost $2,000 for both of us...it is getting ridiculous!  However, it is what it is...nowadays anything can go wrong, even when being very healthy!  There is no credit card that can cover insurance that we would find acceptable, but that's just us.  I cannot find a year-long policy due to my cabin/suite bookings.  We are way over the limit, so giving thought to cruises after 2024!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Last Fall, our TA did put some people with Covid off the ship in the Azores; also, someone lost their life due to Covid and other medical situations.  We like to think, not us, but it could happen to anyone, especially due to age/health of cruisers.

• Like 4

Just coming off a cruise (that we came darn near close to missing due to travel hiccups) and we didn’t have insurance. It was departing from a domestic port and I thought that flying in 24 hours in advance would be enough to ward off any problems. We were wrong and this close call has me rethinking our insurance stance. If we were in the age bracket of the folks OP mentions, then I think it’s a no brainer. Having said that, I still think it’s a case by case situation. Perhaps the person has trip insurance from the credit card they’ve used to book or some other auxiliary trip insurance. We are leaving in May 2024 for the Greek isles out of Venice and I will definitely be insuring this trip. OTOH, we have a Caribbean cruise in August out of Port Canaveral and I won’t be insuring that one. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Mine covers up to $50,000 for serious injuries/illnesses.

Doesn't sound a lot. We were hospitalised with food poisoning in LA and the total for 2 nights was $15,000. Total bill including new onward flights to Auckland was over $20,000 all settled direct without us paying one cent.

• Like 3

You have insurance to cover a loss you cannot afford.  Our policy covers us with a maximum out of pocket of $4000.  Covers us except for war zones and places such as Iran, North Zorea, Venezuela and a couple others.  Our cruise are on a credit card with cancellation coverage.

Thus we do not have trip coverage.

Ours is a Medicare Advantage plan acquired through our former employer. 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

We have an annual medical policy with 1000 deductible and 500,000 medical coverage that costs us about 250. Good for multiple trips. Maximum single trip length is 70 days. 

We do not buy insurance on the trip costs itself, though we do get some credit card coverage.

We travel about 150 days each year. The amount we have saved will more than cover any out of pocket expense we might encounter in the future.  Even if we had to make other travel arrangements totally out of pocket.

We have tapped the credit card coverage once when my wife broke her wrist just prior to a trip with good results.

Edited by ldtr

Guest CunucuMom
8 hours ago, edgee said:

Big mistake not to insure every cruise, at least for medical evacuation. Even on a Caribbean cruise a medical evacuation back to the U.S. could cost $35K or more. 

Totally agree with you about the decision to insure every cruise (and foreign land vacation) even if only for medical evacuation.  It has nothing to do with age; anyone can get injured in a vehicle accident (we've all witnessed crazy driving on the islands...and at home), slip and fall, stroke or heart issue, etc.

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just coming off a cruise (that we came darn near close to missing due to travel hiccups) and we didn’t have insurance. It was departing from a domestic port and I thought that flying in 24 hours in advance would be enough to ward off any problems. We were wrong and this close call has me rethinking our insurance stance. If we were in the age bracket of the folks OP mentions, then I think it’s a no brainer. Having said that, I still think it’s a case by case situation. Perhaps the person has trip insurance from the credit card they’ve used to book or some other auxiliary trip insurance. We are leaving in May 2024 for the Greek isles out of Venice and I will definitely be insuring this trip. OTOH, we have a Caribbean cruise in August out of Port Canaveral and I won’t be insuring that one. 

Injuries don't care how old someone is or where they happen. Many years ago a friend of mine from Australia was on vacation in Spain when she minimally scraped her leg on a stone step, resulting in more than a month in the hospital with flesh eating bacteria, much of it in intensive care. Her travel insurance paid for all her medical care. She was lucky enough to have an ex-pat relative living in England she could stay with for the extended long post-hospital recovery. Her British team of doctors finally said they would clear her for the long haul flight home but only first class in a lie flat seat. Her travel insurance company considered their exposure to future complications during the additional months it would take before she could safely fly home in the cheap seats, and they also paid for the one way first class ticket to Australia.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Medical evacuation from a ship at sea could cost $50,000 or more, how many without insurance could afford a bill like that? My DW and I are in our 70's and never leave home for any trip out of the country without insurance. In 2002 my dad fell in a hotel bathtub and broke a rib that punctured his lung. He spent 30 days in a Brussels hospital and his total bill for medical bills, missed cruise and a nurse flight home to Texas cost around $100,000 and his travel insurance covered all but a $1000 deductible. My dad never believed in buy insurance and that trip was one of the first that he did buy the travel insurance.

P&O cruises in the UK req minimum £2m medical cover insurance for you to be allowed to cruise.

I suspect Cunard will be the same.

“Your policy must include medical cover of £2 million minimum that includes cover for emergency evacuations and medical expenses related to COVID-19. You must also ensure your policy includes full cover for any and all pre-existing medical conditions worldwide, or as a minimum, in the countries you are due to visit.”

I have unlimited cover with my insurer for £600 a year for both of us but does not include travel to the USA.

It covers lots of pre-existing med conditions.

Some UK companies won’t even consider cover for the US or Caribbean for over 70’s or if they do the cost is prohibitive.

I agree that you need extra medical coverage to deal with possible medivac events and major uncovered medical expenses.  We use GeoBlue for this and get a 1 year annual policy.  Pretty inexpensive.  As for trip protection, interruption,  lost luggage, etc.  the travel insurance for that is pretty expensive in general.  Sometimes we do not get that and take the chance and self-insure.  But it depends entirely on your own personal financial situation and level of risk.

• Thanks 1