Unbelievable!! NCL refuses to protect guests on air they booked!

SakeDad

This is from a friend. I am shocked NCL is saying they won't protect the customers they booked!!! "Cannot believe this. My son is on the Breakaway, which left today. His friend had airfare through NCL and he was delayed. The ship left rather than waiting for him and the 23 other people. They are telling him that he has to find his own way to Costa Maya and if he doesn’t go, that he will forfeit the fare he has paid. They said since he didn’t buy the travel insurance that they do not have to do anything for him. I was like, they booked the airfare. And he had wanted to come in yesterday, when Michael came in, but they screwed it up." We are all currently booked on future NCL cruises but this will make me rethink that if NCL doesn't step up and correct this!!! (And I asked...he did not use a travel agent)

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why NCL would be responsible for the airlines. The deal is, they make your arrangements and pay for them. They can't control what the airlines do, or what the weather does. That's why insurance is so important. 

• Like 16

I certainly feel for your friend but unfortunately NCL isn't responsible to a) hold the ship for your friend or b) get him to the next port.

That is his responsibility, and the reason insurance is so important.  

Cruise crtitic is littered with these complaints, against all cruise lines not just NCL, by those who don't understand the system.

I'd recommend a good Travel Advisor for your friend.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Question: so, the concept of 'We'll hold the ship for you' only applies to shore excursions booked through the CL and does not apply to flights booked through the CL?

Or does it vary from CL to CL?

On any given cruise there are dozens of flights bringing people to the port. They cannot be responsible for every flight in the air headed to that ship. Shore excursions are different - it is a limited distance away, and there are only a handful of them at most.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

Question: so, the concept of 'We'll hold the ship for you' only applies to shore excursions booked through the CL and does not apply to flights booked through the CL?

That is a concept that cruise lines want you to believe as a selling point but in reality cruise lines don’t always hold the ship for their shore excursions. There was a recent thread on Holland America where the ship left. They will get you to the next port if they can’t hold the ship and you were on a shore excursion. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

On any given cruise there are dozens of flights bringing people to the port. They cannot be responsible for every flight in the air headed to that ship. Shore excursions are different - it is a limited distance away, and there are only a handful of them at most.

They can’t always hold the ship for shore excursions either and don’t always. Cruise lines don’t control the docks, harbors, tides, weather conditions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SakeDad said:

This is from a friend. I am shocked NCL is saying they won't protect the customers they booked!!! "Cannot believe this. My son is on the Breakaway, which left today. His friend had airfare through NCL and he was delayed. The ship left rather than waiting for him and the 23 other people. They are telling him that he has to find his own way to Costa Maya and if he doesn’t go, that he will forfeit the fare he has paid. They said since he didn’t buy the travel insurance that they do not have to do anything for him. I was like, they booked the airfare. And he had wanted to come in yesterday, when Michael came in, but they screwed it up." We are all currently booked on future NCL cruises but this will make me rethink that if NCL doesn't step up and correct this!!! (And I asked...he did not use a travel agent)

So,,, this is just silly. Per the contract that “your friend’s son” signed, the cruise line is under no obligation to wait for an airline induced delay. How long would you hold up a cruise? Hours? Days?

Be reasonable. And the 4000 other people who got to the ship on time are not going to wait for “your friend”. 

You have been around Cruise Critic for a while and have been an active poster. And you know the #1 risk mitigation is to fly in a day early. 

“Your friend” should cancel and file an insurance claim. 

And you should stop advising “your friend” that the cruise line did anything wrong… because they didn’t. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I mean experienced cruisers should know better..........but for new people, if they book the NCL air (which BTW doesn't clearly display arrival options/ risks in the booking process), I can fully sympathize with thinking you are part of the cruise package once you get on your flight.  Who should know better when your flight needs to leave to make the cruise, than the cruise company? Stinks and sorry for your family, I learned a similar hard lesson as a new cruiser myself.

However, once you think about it, as others indicated, there is no way a floating hotel with 3-6K guests and a fixed schedule can offer an unlimited guarantee for less than 1% of their passengers who were delayed by factors they cannot control and may not even have visibility into a potential resolution point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuker said:

Two different things, with excursions, they charge more than independent vendors, but you don’t have to worry about missing the ship. With the discount airfare, you pay less for your flights, but get what you get, NCL is just passing on savings to the customer. Just like booking flights yourself, it is important to insure your trip for issues such as flight delays.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They can’t always hold the ship for shore excursions either and don’t always. Cruise lines don’t control the docks, harbors, tides, weather conditions. 

Yup.  When I was on the Bliss in 2019 we were in Puerto Vallarta at the same time as a Princess ship.  The Princess ship had the "inner" berth while the Bliss was berthed at the harbor entrance.  If we had any delayed excursions (or pier runners, which we DID have and they were too late) they weren't going to be able to wait long as that would have not only impacted the 4,000 on the Bliss but the 3,000 on the Princess ship as well since the Bliss blocked enough of the harbor entrance that the Princess ship couldn't get out.

Oh, I just thoroughly read the terms for the airfare promo - nothing in there indicates NCL is providing a guarantee of getting you to the ship or that the ship will wait if you booked airfare through the cruise line.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SakeDad said:

I'm so sorry to learn that your son's friend is in this situation. It really sucks - especially since he likely thought that buying the air through NCL would offer some kind of protection from this very thing happening. 

I booked my most recent cruise through a PVP at NCL directly and when I told her I wanted to take advantage of the air offer, she was VERY explicit in telling me and ensuring I understood that I would 1/ have no opportunity to choose my flight times/provider and that 2/ there were simply buying the flights on my behalf and did provide any guarantees (ie- no compensation for delayed flights). Her very next question was if we wanted to buy the insurance which would cover such things. 

Unfortunately it sounds like your son's friend didn't see the fine print on this and frankly I likely wouldn't have looked at it either if I was booking on my own. I too may have erroneously assumed that we would get flight delay compensation similar to what you would get when you purchase a ship sponsored excursion, so was glad that my PVP made certain I understood exactly what I was buying.

I hope your son's friend is able to meet up with the ship or find a way to get some measure of compensation (perhaps he was travel insurance through an employer or the credit card he used to book the cruise?) but in this instance, NCL does not have responsibility per their T&C. 

• Like 3

If I understand the situation correctly (and there was a recent thread at

Even some NCL insurance doesn't help you in this situation.  Apparently, you need to purchase a third party insurance to cover both NCL Air and cruise.  I didn't expect NCL to hold a ship, but I did think its insurance would cover the situation explained in the other thread, but apparently I would have been wrong about that.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

Whew…..!!!!

What NCL probably thought was a perk, has turned into a nightmare.

If your car breaks down on the highway on the way to the airport, the airlines are not going to hold the flight for you, even though you booked your flight through them.

The thousands of other guests sailing on NCL will not be happy if the Captain holds the ship for someone who has their flight delayed, regardless of who booked the flight.

NCL is a cruise company, not an airline.  They do not control airlines flights.

For a variety of reasons, I’ve had to fly in the day of the cruise.  Sometimes there’s no way around it.  I understand the risk involved if a flight is delayed.  I try to mitigate that risk by having back up plans (later flights available to get me to the pier on time).  But, sometimes even that doesn’t work.

NCL is little more than a booking agent for the flights.  Too late now, but I’d NEVER have NCL book my flights.  As your friends found out, that cheap perk has turned into an expensive experience.

They should chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Oh yeah….particularly for a cruise…always get travel insurance.  The insurance won’t get you to the port on time, but when a catastrophe hits, you’ll be reimbursed.

You’d be hard pressed to find another vacation where you can eat all the good food you want, drink all the drinks you want, be entertained just about every hour of every day, visiting relatively exotic locales, staying in very nice accommodations, etc for the price you pay.  That is, until something doesn’t go to plan.

In general, cruising is a great value for vacations.  But, just like anything else, if you do some research, you understand the pitfalls which can affect what you spend.  Missing a flight resulting in missing the ship’s departure is one of the most common pitfalls.

• Like 6

I have never booked a NCL cruise with NCL booking the airline.  I am curious.  Does NCL advise passengers to arrive a day early?   I know its a touchy subject because if they did, many would complain about having to pay for a hotel.  Its a huge risk to arrive the day of sailing.  But I am just curious if NCL advises passengers during making flight arrangements.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I have never booked a NCL cruise with NCL booking the airline.  I am curious.  Does NCL advise passengers to arrive a day early?   I know its a touchy subject because if they did, many would complain about having to pay for a hotel.  Its a huge risk to arrive the day of sailing.  But I am just curious if NCL advises passengers during making flight arrangements.  

That's a great question. I'd be interested to hear what people say about that. We usually book our own airfare, but I do like the fact that NCL offers (maybe doesn't promote, but offers) a deviation of up to 2 days, which would allow people to both take advantage of the airfare deal and arrive a day or two early. I am sorry that this happened to the OP's son's friend. As others have said, insurance is your friend in this situation. Maybe it's because I tend to over plan, but I notice that NCL always seems to offer a sort of "bare bones" coverage on its website (I believe it's through AON) that might have helped in this situation. I think it's called "essentials vacation protection" or something like that, it shows up in my vacation summary as an add-on each time we cruise.

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

While a TA or PCC might say something, its not really up to the cruise line to advise people on how to get to the ship.  But they give you a $25 credit if you choose to fly in early.

Many people book directly from the website and never speak to anyone at NCL - so even if NCL were to provide such advice, it would probably be embedded in the same T&Cs that people obviously don't read LOL!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, this is just silly. Per the contract that “your friend’s son” signed, the cruise line is under no obligation to wait for an airline induced delay. How long would you hold up a cruise? Hours? Days?

Be reasonable. And the 4000 other people who got to the ship on time are not going to wait for “your friend”. 

You have been around Cruise Critic for a while and have been an active poster. And you know the #1 risk mitigation is to fly in a day early. 

“Your friend” should cancel and file an insurance claim. 

And you should stop advising “your friend” that the cruise line did anything wrong… because they didn’t. 

Good advice except that the OP said the friend did NOT buy insurance. 

Buying insurance is a must, not only for this situation but also for the possibility of a medical emergency.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Used NCL Air recently. Chose to go ‘in’ a day early ‘just in case’.  Believe that NCL allows a one or two day flight deviation. The NCL Air site is very specific. Flights are chosen for you and cannot be altered once ticketed. I even tried to upgrade. Neither the airline nor NCL would ‘talk to me’. BTW, flights to and from the ship worked out well. Non stop one way; one stop on the return. Different airlines. Guess it’s a case of Caveat Emptor when booking NCL Air…Buyer Beware…

20 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

No, they do not, but we were each given a $25 credit off for booking a 1 day deviation.

4 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

I even tried to upgrade. Neither the airline nor NCL would ‘talk to me’.

Strictly speaking, this is not always the case. For instance, because my wife and I have a certain status with American Airlines, once the NCL flights are ticketed, we CAN (and do) upgrade our seats. NCL is only acting as a travel agent at that point. Once the flights are ticketed, you can work with the airline. It's two separate transactions. Now that may not be true of every airline, but it has been the case with us and American.

• Like 1

I was talking with my TA when making my final payment - after I removed the BOGO air from my reservation. He said that his customers who used cruise line airfare (not just NCL) seemed to have more issues with the airlines with being bumped to having delays. Yes I spent quite a bit more for my flights, but I am getting what I wanted with reasonable layovers and we are also spending an extra two days post cruise. I was also able to upgrade to first class for my flights home for not that much more - it is two short flights but on a small plane. I also upgraded to business class for my outbound flights. As for going to the port a day early, I have done this on most of my cruises so i can tour the city prior to the cruise. My only times not doing this were on my last cruise where we flew from PDX to SFO and once when we drove from PDX to SEA.

I feel for the OP's friend but we are in the times when the cruise industry is trying to rebound from two years of not sailing so I don't expect them to bend over backwards.