Infinite Balconies

jules815

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When you close the folding doors or the blinds where are the chairs?  Aren’t they inside the room still?  Booked in IV on Beyond.  Debating on a move up bid to a small suite.

Yes, of course. Remember, there's no such thing as outside, you're always inside. The bifold doors act as a room divider, nothing more. Again, the cabin is a window cabin with the bifold doors acting as a room divider to create the illusion of a separate room. But it's never a separate room. It's always the same room whether the bifold doors are open or closed. 

Celebrity is brainwashing people into thinking an open window and a room divider can magically create an outdoor room. It's nonsense. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When you close the folding doors or the blinds where are the chairs?  Aren’t they inside the room still?  Booked in IV on Beyond.  Debating on a move up bid to a small suite.

I never closed the bifold doors.

To help give a vision for my layout/function, I had a bed by the balcony end of the stateroom. The first space from the entrance door was my dressing area with the makeup mirror, wide open to the bathroom with the closet and drawers. Made it great for laying out clothes and I stored our shoes under the sofa. The bed was next with the TV and then on the other side were the two chairs and small table, perfect for a beverage not a meal. My DH would hang there often watching the sea go by while I would get ready for the night, gave us each a place to relax without using the bed. We closed the room darkening screen at night, I lowered the window many times while in port. I liked the room space and layout a lot.

Hope this helps,

Patty 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lets be clear. The 'Infinite Balcony' is not a balcony.  Don't let Celebrity gaslight you.  A balcony is a 'platform projecting from the wall of a building' or in this case, a ship, usually fronted with a railing.  You can still be a fan of an extra room with a sliding window, but lets be realistic and not call it a balcony 🙂

Edited by odyssyus
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

The IV is not a balcony at all--- (ok, ok, it's my opinion )

It's a 3 ft extension to the room with a small table ( not big enough for a plate with a hot smoked meat sandwich, fries, diet coke ,and a dill pickle ), 2 small chairs (to hang a wet bathing suit on to dry ), and a window that opens.  

Yes, it your opinion and you are entitled to it. 

My opinion is that when the window is closed, it's an air-conditioned sun room with a floor-to-ceiling window that extends the usable stateroom space by 3 ft; and when it's open, you can experience the sights, smells, and sounds of the open sea the same as a traditional balcony. Best of both worlds!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

Lets be clear. The 'Infinite Balcony' is not a balcony.  Don't let Celebrity gaslight you.  A balcony is a 'platform projecting from the wall of a building' or in this case, a ship, usually fronted with a railing.  You can still be a fan of an extra room with a sliding window, but let's be realistic and not call it a balcony 🙂

Let's be even clearer. We can play semantic games all day (and night) long, but who really cares? In fact, Celebrity calls it an Infinite Veranda (not balcony). Look THAT up in your Funk & Wagnalls! 

5 minutes ago, kidz_rn said:

Let's be even clearer. We can play semantic games all day (and night) long, but who really cares? In fact, Celebrity calls it an Infinite Veranda (not balcony). Look THAT up in your Funk & Wagnalls! 

Veranda - "open walled roofed porch usually surrounded by a railing".  Yeah, still gaslighting you.....

https://www.britannica.com/technology/veranda

Edited by odyssyus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kidz_rn said:

Yes, it your opinion and you are entitled to it. 

My opinion is that when the window is closed, it's an air-conditioned sun room with a floor-to-ceiling window that extends the usable stateroom space by 3 ft; and when it's open, you can experience the sights, smells, and sounds of the open sea the same as a traditional balcony. Best of both worlds!

So you call your bedroom window at home a balcony when it's open? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It should be noted that X had to choice to do whatever they wanted with the suite balconies and they choose to put zero IVs in any of them; they all have traditional balconies

This is an excellent point.  I think this decision betrays that they made a conclusion that they felt that IV is a less good option and it would have been harder to sell suites, and they wanted the best features they could put together for suites.

I think they felt that the main advantage of IV is less wind drag and so less energy needed to drive the ship, translating into cheaper cost.  I think they calculated that this calculation was worth it against the costs from the fact that some would not like it, possibly also offset by a calculation that the newer ship features would otherwise be sufficiently compelling to customers that they could still sell a product in a way that would make money.

I think this is what is happening.

- Joel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cl.klink said:

This is an excellent point.  I think this decision betrays that they made a conclusion that they felt that IV is a less good option and it would have been harder to sell suites, and they wanted the best features they could put together for suites.

I think they felt that the main advantage of IV is less wind drag and so less energy needed to drive the ship, translating into cheaper cost.  I think they calculated that this calculation was worth it against the costs from the fact that some would not like it, possibly also offset by a calculation that the newer ship features would otherwise be sufficiently compelling to customers that they could still sell a product in a way that would make money.

I think this is what is happening.

- Joel

It was touted that IVs save fuel so why not give them to us non-suite peasants…ha ha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In Cartegena, Columbia just this past March 2023, we were docked next to the Edge.  We were on the Constellation.

The IV's looked like a prison to us.

thumbnail Clelebrity Edge.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It was touted that IVs save fuel so why not give them to us non-suite peasants…ha ha

If you sail on S class you get a real balcony and no peasant treatment.🤣

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cluso said:

In Cartegena, Columbia just this past March 2023, we were docked next to the Edge.  We were on the Constellation.

The IV's looked like a prison to us.

thumbnail Clelebrity Edge.jpg

I take it you have never been in prison. 😊

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, odyssyus said:

Lets be clear. The 'Infinite Balcony' is not a balcony.  Don't let Celebrity gaslight you.  A balcony is a 'platform projecting from the wall of a building' or in this case, a ship, usually fronted with a railing.  You can still be a fan of an extra room with a sliding window, but lets be realistic and not call it a balcony 🙂

Let's be clear - it is called an Infinite Veranda. You can call it an infinite balcony if you want to. As with almost everything else, book one if you want to or book another type of cabin if you want to. Some people like them while others do not. There is no right answer, just personal preference.

• Like 1

I cannot answer the OP's question but I will be able to in less than two weeks.  I expect to be torn on my thoughts about this type room knowing how I tend to utilize balcony rooms.  I am an early riser while my travel partner is not so, as others have mentioned, using this to sit 'outside' in the morning behind dark curtains is just not going to work so I expect to be sad about that.  I would typically go get a coffee and then come back to the room and quietly sneak out to watch the waves sail by, but this trip I'm thinking I'll have to alter my morning quiet spot.

I look forward to forming my own opinion about these rooms.  I don't want to prejudge but clearly there are some aspects of this type of setup that just do not live up to the use of balcony.  I have been thinking that this room would be appealing for a cold weather cruise where I would not want to sit outside so much.

If this thread is still floating around after my cruise I will come back and offer my thoughts (based on experience) along with others here.  No matter what I feel about it, this stateroom will be better than my last Edge inside cabin 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cl.klink said:

I think they felt that the main advantage of IV is less wind drag and so less energy needed to drive the ship, translating into cheaper cost.

The real advantage is less, and easier, maintenance. Fewer nooks and crannies for salt to accumulate in. Less stuff to paint. Easier to wash down.

Ships don't travel fast enough for streamlining to have much effect and the ships still have a lot of other draggy stuff on them......although I guess even a quarter of a percent of fuel efficiency is something.

Edited by Stupot74

28 minutes ago, dacsmom said:

Let's be clear - it is called an Infinite Veranda. You can call it an infinite balcony if you want to. As with almost everything else, book one if you want to or book another type of cabin if you want to. Some people like them while others do not. There is no right answer, just personal preference.

psst.. .its not a veranda either.  I'm guessing Celebrity wouldn't have much luck with "infinite sun room"  now would they.

• Like 2

Having just returned from the Apex on March 25 I can say the infinite "veranda" was a huge disappointment.  Noisy with neighbors on both sides operating the shade and the window at all times - day and night to the point that it seemed like an echo chamber at times....

Not sure how often they do the window washing but our upper and lower section was not clean enough to enjoy the view on most days so we didn't get much use out of it except when entering and leaving the ports.  It does add light in the cabin and space though!

When I got home I cancelled my May 2024 cruise and will look for a replacement.  I will be sailing solo so the regular balcony isn't affordable 🙁

• Thanks 2