The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday March 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good morning everyone. Control is just an illusion. We may try to control our lives but things happen and the sense of control flies out the window.

It’s one week since my cateract surgery and I’m seeing better every day. As of tonight I no longer have to tape a shield over my eye while I sleep.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday's snow has given way to blue skies and warmer temperatures today.  We will enjoy!  Happy Birthday to @Suslor and @cruzn single

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.1849c0d14ef3e7828d674a7a197799e7.jpg

Happy Anniversary to @USN59-79

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.38a4b1be153464ceaa6f9aee7020e2d3.jpg

Today's meal gives us some ideas on what to do with all the leftover Easter Ham.  This first one is easy and could be made with chicken for those who aren't ham fans.  If you don't like asparagus, substitute broccoli.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/asparagus-ham-dinner/

asparagusham1.jpg.25dbb7290f1f4e7c73b105069dfe83af.jpg

Mmmm good.

In this next one the basics are the same, just some slightly different seasonings.  https://amagicalmess.com/ham-pasta-skillet-dinner-recipe/

asparagusham2.jpg.e51702c10e2d1b00bace3a88c00d2a15.jpg

Whenever we have a family gathering, my niece is tasked with bringing the ham roll ups.  They are lunch meat ham slices spread with cream cheese with a pickle or green onion rolled up in the center. Then she cuts them in bite sized pieces.  This next recipe reminds me of Kourtney's ham roll ups, but on a dinner scale.  This is what you do with leftover spiral cut ham.  https://divadicucina.com/2014/06/06/recipe-asparagus-ham-rolls/

asparagusham3.thumb.jpg.579118e659a3f1bc14acc8d5730be16f.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  The only constant thing is change, and the only thing I can control is how I react to change.  In my case, it's not always a good reaction.  Oh well, I'm human.

Katakolon is one port that DH and I have just decided to wander around town, so really looking forward to any pictures.

We had asparagus last night, roasted.  Very tasty, with enough for left overs for tonight, and tonight's dinner is pork chops with roasted cabbage and carrots.  Our friend served this veggie dish with corned beef, and the secret is add horseradish to the olive oil drizzle when roasting.  Now he used butter, but not sure I want all that wonderful buttery fat.

I need to prep the items that will go into omelets this morning, sort of a clean out fridge and out it in the omelet thing.

@mamaofamiI am glad to read that the eye is getting better every day.

• Like 25

Only the National Doctor's Day has any appeal for me. I like my doctor.

The quotation: a chemistry professor friend points out that scientists who make unusual and unexpected discoveries usually do so from a large base of knowledge, although others who have as much knowledge may never discover anything.

No on the meal suggestion and the cocktail; yes on the wine. I'd rather have Roy's alternative. I was puzzled at first by "snow egg" but recognized it as Oeufs à la Neige, poached meringues. Typically served on custard, and American cooks of a past generation would have called it Floating Island. I haven't been to Katakolon.

Yesterday some weather forecasts said a huge amount of snow overnight and others said little or none; the latter was correct. I need to shop for Passover and it's more difficult here than usual. One store's Passover section is pitiful; another's was better but they inexplicably removed it too early.

Speaking of badgers and dogs:

braideddachs.jpg.06733483d88064df72061ea2e372b3e5.jpgdogpoets.thumb.gif.b42b7d5def773583dbe384faa0cf9c5f.gif

• Like 16
  • Haha 10

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  The only constant thing is change, and the only thing I can control is how I react to change.  In my case, it's not always a good reaction.  Oh well, I'm human.

Katakolon is one port that DH and I have just decided to wander around town, so really looking forward to any pictures.

We had asparagus last night, roasted.  Very tasty, with enough for left overs for tonight, and tonight's dinner is pork chops with roasted cabbage and carrots.  Our friend served this veggie dish with corned beef, and the secret is add horseradish to the olive oil drizzle when roasting.  Now he used butter, but not sure I want all that wonderful buttery fat.

I need to prep the items that will go into omelets this morning, sort of a clean out fridge and out it in the omelet thing.

@mamaofamiI am glad to read that the eye is getting better every day.

It is about 10 minutes walk from the ship to the town.

The town is basically 1 street overlooking the beach and has several shops and a couple of beachfront restaurants and bars.

Screenshot_20230330_133209.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

It is

BASEBALL OPENING DAY!!!!

I know the stadiums in many parts of the US will be cold and windy, but YYYAAAYYYYY!

(RedNeckBob, I’m so glad that doctors worked their magic 10 years ago.  The Daily would not be the same without you!)

• Like 23

Good morning all.  Prayers for all in need.  (I do need to get the hang of that blue bubble thing.) Glad to see so many getting back to cruising but, in my opinion, prices are really high.  We have nothing booked until September when we are booked on a 14 day Canada/Greenland trip but that is a long way off.

I went to a 25th anniversary celebration yesterday for the school where I ended my career.  Saw and heard from some students putting items in a time capsule to be opened in another 25 years.  I will only be 97 then so I will be good to go!  But it was great to see that kids never change -  they were as cheerful and bright as usual.  Good for our future.

Another bright spot today — opening day for baseball.  Go Mets!!

Best wishes for all.  Stay safe.  Katherine 

• Like 26

Sitting here trying to relax and reading CC.  I thought I might as well look at photos from 2014 in Katakolon.  We were there on Halloween!  The only indication on that day that we were celebrating Halloween was on the ship, Prinsendam.

Since we didn't go to Olympia we just hung out in town.  We had so many big tours on this Holy Land cruise, it was good to have a day off.  

We saw a local church.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKIWSbZFrd_y5__qEIhAef?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775134

The Navy memorial in town.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI5v9OwpyBmBjqQjxH0TxGk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775134

Typical shopping opportunity00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKzyqSMsxoPbJPCh2iioRjX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775136

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLbLaaSChiEnUzmMrvFzNG-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775137

lovely small town feel00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFrMLK9IoOUWZU5khn93p5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775140

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKe2NiNhM26JyCl9bUGpaXk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775153

The Prinsendam00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL8KcRovkzMCWzFT_4KxzKI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775143

Crew drill during our beer/wifi break at a restaurant along the waterfront.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLreC2mk31rcJS2lXQSzLdX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775158

For Halloween they decorated just outside the dining room on Prinsendam, as they typically did for all celebrations.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJL8bIqDjNzLjlJVXe7ZrLV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775174

"People" were getting drunk even before the days of Have It All!!!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKfzgK8xINvfyQ1K_dztwPy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416775175

Boo!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

Good morning,

it will a windy windy day in Kansas. Gusts to 40 miles per hour staring this afternoon. That is spring in Kansas. I think I will take the time to pack today. The skin on my forearm is very tender to touch. I have to keep my sleeves rolled up. This will decrease what I can choose to pack. That’s probably a good thing so I don’t overpack. 

Hand therapy is going ok. It is pretty sore by the end of the day but nothing I can’t handle. 

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to the lucky dailyites. Prayers to those in need. 
Have a great day. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Cool this morning but sunny in Maryland. Started out at freezing point but will be mid 50s. So much more pleasant than where we were in the NM high country at 8700 feet where it’s still winter. But I’ll miss the mountains during sticky summer here!  

@mamaofamiCarol, so happy your eye is improving. We’re managing here, yesterday I made a chart for all the eye drops, as they keep changing the program it’s hard to keep up. 

Ray and Sarah, 60 is quite the accomplishment 🎉🥂

Cheers to all celebrating milestones, Life is good!  You uplift us in our tougher days!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope, near and far.  Thanks to the many doctors and medical providers who guide us with care. 

We were only in Katakolon a short time after our tour to Olympia, but they had nice stores and good WiFi. I bought saffron there, enough to give as gifts to my lady friends. If we ever get back I think it’d be a lovely place to enjoy on its own, clean and friendly. 

Smooth sailing to all the cruisers. 

I’m getting back to regular activities: today is groceries this morning, and zoom yoga this afternoon. My lessons of late are that I put too much energy into things I cannot control. Again and again I must learn to let go, like the Serenity Prayer:  God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Working on it!  

Maureen

• Like 24

Good morning.   It is 19 degrees out right now but the sun is bright.  Good day to wait at home for wine deliveries from Fedex and UPS.  All ordered on the Volendam than goodness the internet didn't fail or the orders come in when we were in the Antarctic.   

Sandi, thanks again for starting us off each day!  @richwmn sorry you will miss your port in Senegal but thankfully you can get your supplies.  Hopefully a few more hours in the Canary Islands.   

Another obscure Kiwi wine today but the cocktail and the ham recipes look wonderful.   Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.   Have a wonderful Thursday!  Nancy 

@USN59-79Happy Anniversary!   

120 Heartfelt Happy Anniversary Wishes, Quotes, Messages

Happy Birthday to @Suslor and @Cruzin Single !  

History of the Happy Birthday Song | Pump It Up

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm in control most days, except when on a cruise - then I let someone else take over.  Yay for doctors; we're among the fortunate who actually have one and have had for the past 40 years.  I'd like to take a walk in the park, except ours are still covered in snow, lots of snow.

It looks like our weather may be smartening up a bit; this morning we're sitting at a mild -8C (17F), and the high will be -1 which means if the sun decides to come out, there should be some melting of the glaciers in the front and back yards.  A slow melt is always good, as it means the water isn't running away, it's packing down the snow banks and will be able to be absorbed by the earth. 

Yesterday we dropped off the blankets for children going into foster care - I was able to pack them into 2 giant sized zip top bags with carry handles - and as I was leaving the office, I heard the receptionist say "Ladies, we have blankets !!!!!"  I'm not sure how many they'll be able to collect, but I was happy my efforts may have helped.

Not a lot on the agenda today, DH is going out to his son's acreage to check on it.  Last time they went, they saw large wolf tracks in the snow around the house; I'm glad there isn't anyone living out there, especially in the winter!  While DH is out of the house, I'll do a general vacuum/dusting and get that out of the way.

@SuslorHappy Birthday to you!

@cruzn singleHappy Birthday to you as well!

@USN59-79wishing you and your DW a Happy Anniversary!

I'm pretty sure I'd like the drink of the day, and although I'd like to try the wine, it's out of my price range.  Because tomorrow is pizza night, tonight we'll be having leftovers of salmon and burgers along with garlic mashed potatoes and a small salad at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Sandi.

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll happily celebrate Doctor’s Day.   In control day?  I don’t think anyone is ever in control.  

A messy day/night on the way - snow, rain, freezing rain, etc so I will forego the walk in the park day until the weather improves.

D5B831EA-B498-4464-8086-534F11B5003B.jpeg.e7ec415bb46348ec968eb426be0afc43.jpeg

Love the Einstein quote.  We visited Katakalon before and have visited Olympia, etc.  Returning there next year so I’m going to have to figure out something to do there.

@mamaofamiCarol, I agree with you on control being an illusion.  So glad to hear that you are seeing much better now.

Happy Birthday @Suslor & @cruzn single

49226979-1B20-46F8-B09A-EC3E35B3AEE0.jpeg.898682a1c0504a43c42f2e4d899ca892.jpeg

A very happy anniversary @USN59-79

E575DB4B-711C-49B2-AEB0-249DCDEE781D.thumb.jpeg.a0c3854aa02a3e2a394b349653330cfb.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

146EA316-6BA6-4C97-9D30-DF1CA8E2A46E.jpeg.4b18437bcbd307195a2fc93db4271d10.jpeg

Have a good Thursday everyone !!!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning. My dear Sue got home last night but not on schedule. Delayed out of Atlanta because of a late arriving pilot and then when she finally landed here the jet way broke and they couldn’t disembark. Finally had to be towed to another gate.

We both have doctor appointments this morning and that’s why we have two cars.

Need to start getting ready for the appointment. Happy Birthdays and Anniversary to all our celebrants.

Thanks to all who make the Daily our morning first read.

Someone asked me where do I get all my Meme’s from. I replied I pay someone to go through Redneck Bob’s trash cans. 
Bruce

image.jpeg.130b1399ddea5b87cd6d5c6917767b7b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6a91ed10fcc202e43af6c93365b14006.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.68190a65ca8bb5abf9040f6a0605fedc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9766576f934c5982dcfadf6d87d73761.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2c3021ec3274febbcce57a465f4d6549.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 16

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

RNB, DD has one tree that sits in her foyer all year long.  She removes the decorations for each season or celebration and redecorates it for the next one.  The photos today are from last spring because she is so busy with her teaching job, 2 dogs (and doggy classes), preparing to go on vacation next week for spring break, her 14 year old's preparations for joining the football team at school, and the dreaded State testing coming up for her students next month.  State testing is harder on the teachers than the students, believe me!  There is a lot of pressure put on the teachers to get high scores and with some students you can work your rear off and they never catch on.  Sad to say that but it's true sometimes.  She takes it very seriously.  

Anyway, no time for a new decor this spring so we will have to wait for the Cinco de Mayo tree.  Thank you for your interest RNB!  

I've finished breakfast and will head to the gym next for my leg exercises.  Talk to you all later.

You had me at teaching job ! 😀

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1