Influencers onboard

zitsky

51 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

didn't have to label me as pretentious.. guess sharing my experiences with you all is not so valuable after all with that kind of attitude!

Your experiences and others like are very helpful to me in selecting ships and cabin types.  I actually bought a coco cay thrill park pass because of a vloggers experience.  Some are very creative.  Some are not.  Only ones I don't like are the amateurs who tape themselves in the shots and should not unless they wash their face and use a toothbrush.  Good luck and keep posting videos.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

By sharing your experience do you mean posting the video somewhere or asking people to get out of your way?

I meant sharing our perspective of what we think when we film, all our mannerisms and actions. We as a team also have an image, and disrupting guests from a vacation that they've waited a life time for and paid up is something we of course never want to disturb if there are other ways to achieving our tasks. We are always mindful of what we should and shouldn't do, what is okay and what is less okay. What is invasive and what is acceptable from being just another cruiser on a ship-perspective. 

Edited by Ethanol95
  • Like 9

We  have to admit to really liking Youtube for researching our holidays (land and cruises) and in particular "new to us" cruise lines or cruise ships. They can also be quite useful for reviewing options for ports of call for upcoming cruises. 

I credit YouTube with helping get me through the pandemic...I watched ALOT of travel and holiday videos for a couple of years.

There are some good ones, and many bad ones. Like anything you can find your way to channels or "vlogers" that provide content that works for you (much like we like certain magazines or newspapers ....).

Youtube is also my "got to" for help with golf game and piano lessons and fixing anything tat breaks 😃

• Like 9

I like watching youtube videos for researching our cruises and land trips. What I avoid or discredit:

- bloggers who spend 45 minutes chattering excessively when 15 would be sufficient

- youngish bloggers (almost always young women being videoed by their boyfriends) who spend much of the video seemingly posing for future modeling jobs

- bloggers who fawn over everything

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OP, I wouldn't worry about obnoxious vloggers on your cruisers unless you're the type to worry about EVERY LITTLE THING that could ever possibly happen - no matter how unlikely.

One personal vlogger story and then I'll exit stage left.  I shared a cruise (not on Celebrity) a bit over a year ago with one of the more popular cruise vloggers.  This wasn't a group cruise or anything on his announced schedule, and I only found out when midway through the cruise I stumbled upon his video saying he was on my ship @ our location.  I looked for him a little after that, but never spotted him except at one of the shows in the main theater.  He sat up front and had a distinct out-on-the-town outfit, so I THINK I spotted him, but I was up in the cheap seats, so I'm not absolutely sure.  I didn't confront him and we both enjoyed the show separately.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

Nobody should leave any space to make anything more convenient for any vloggers. And yes, they're vloggers, not everyone who films is an 'influencer.' 🙂  

I purposely set myself up when I'm doing longer pieces with nobody behind me, or I will blur them out in the edit. When I'm shooting footage of the overall ship, it's impossible to avoid folks in the shot, but I do my best to minimize how many folks are in the shot. And I never go live from a ship (or any public location) and show anyone and everyone on the ship. I position myself where there is nobody behind me, or minimal chance of folks walking through the shot. 

I do my best to be respectful of other people's vacations and if I am in a position where other folks are going to be around me, I make it a point to let the folks closest to me know I'm about to record a bit. 

But nobody should be asked to move, nor should you move if you don't want to, if a vlogger wants to film in a particular spot. 

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 15

I've tried watching youtube re ships/cruising a couple of times, and I've learned I just do not have the patience to do so, no matter how well done. The printed word is my only acceptable source.

We were in the Solarium a few years ago, and noticed a woman in one of the hot tubs, holding up a selfie stick and talking non-stop. She continued for well over an hour; at that point we couldn't take it anymore and left. IMO, she qualified as intrusive.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

and disrupting guests from a vacation that they've waited a life time for and paid up is something we of course never want to disturb if there are other ways to achieving our tasks.

So if there is no other way, you have no problem disturbing others?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The odds are greatly in favor of running into an obnoxious passenger versus an obnoxious vlogger...

" Vlogger " ??? Is that the same as a guy/gal taking movie pictures on their Kodak movie camara-- the one that has been in the closet for 37 yrs ??

" Obnoxious passenger " ??? Is that the same as " Entitled with a BIGGGGG Mouth " ?

Reminds me of the ( no offence ) lady at a table near us on our recent cruise ( Edge --- March 6-17 ).

At one time I noticed a man sitting there " rolling his eyes ".

Guess who should have changed tables ??

Guess why we always take a table for two ????

8 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

I don't think you can do anything on a cruise ship without disturbing others. My wife and I chatting about our day and playing cribbage while sitting on the loungers in the solarium I am sure disturbs some. 

On my last cruise I saw someone confront some folks in the hot tub who were talking loudly, it turned out due to hearing issues, because either their topic of conversation or the loudness of it bothered that persons reading. I sat in the same area and had 100% tuned them out. 

I see it as we are on a cruise ship with lots of public spaces, and I am going to have to tune certain things out. If I wanted an uninterrupted trip I would have to go for the private yacht experience.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

My wife and I chatting about our day and playing cribbage while sitting on the loungers in the solarium I am sure disturbs some. 

I'd be ok with that. 

What has gotten on my last nerve - can caused me to leave a show (this happened on another line) - was a group who I guess thought they were required to attend the shows and spend at least the first 20 minutes of the show (I left after 20 minutes - should not have given them that long, but I really wanted to see the show) going over the planner for the next day and discussing what they wanted to do. I mentioned it later to the Cruise Director when she was hanging out with other officers in the atrium area and she asked if I'd liked the show. I told her what happened and that in looking around there weren't any aisle seats I could have moved to or I would have. She felt so bad - and I noticed the next night when she was introducing that night's show, she had added in "We all on the entertainment team think these are great shows, but if you don't - or don't want to see it - you don't have to! You're not required to do any activity you don't want - expect that safety drill on the first day. That you have to do. Everything else is optional!" She made it sound casual. I don't know if that group had come back as I sat on the other side of the theater that night.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Personally, I agree with Mark Twain - “Don't use a five-dollar word when a fifty-cent word will do.”

Personally, I prefer to use fifty-dollar words. 😎

Inflation has affected everything! 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I don't think you can do anything on a cruise ship without disturbing others. My wife and I chatting about our day and playing cribbage while sitting on the loungers in the solarium I am sure disturbs some. 

On my last cruise I saw someone confront some folks in the hot tub who were talking loudly, it turned out due to hearing issues, because either their topic of conversation or the loudness of it bothered that persons reading. I sat in the same area and had 100% tuned them out. 

I see it as we are on a cruise ship with lots of public spaces, and I am going to have to tune certain things out. If I wanted an uninterrupted trip I would have to go for the private yacht experience.

When someone plays cribbage do they jump up and down and shout?

Someone I know, not me, got shushed in the spa for not using their quiet voice.

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When someone plays cribbage do they jump up and down and shout?

Someone I know, not me, got shushed in the spa for not using their quiet voice.

No we don't but some people as I witnessed recently and over the years have different tolerance levels. Also if they came in and say walked through say the solarium and were in there for a small amount of time talking excitedly about the area, no big deal. If they lingered for an hour they will get chased out. I haven't witnessed this yet, or if I did they handled it like the person that posted on this thread does, discreetly.

I totally agree at a with Writtenonyourheart, shows there should be zero tolerance for people chatting or just being out of line. 

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

That’s perfectly reasonable.  I’d do the same.  I don’t think anyone should take over a venue open to everyone.

or record  other people without  their consent!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

or record  other people without  their consent!

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about that.  If you're in the public, you can legally be recorded without your consent.  Celebrity would have to create a "no filming" policy to prevent you from ever being recorded.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Largely depends on the situation each time and on a case-by-case basis. If it's not time-sensitive then we can always come back and do it another time if there's too many guests. But then that begs the question: we can come back another time of day or when the ship is in port and less crowded, but even if there are still people there, we still have to get footage of those venues etc.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Largely depends on the situation each time and on a case-by-case basis. If it's not time-sensitive then we can always come back and do it another time if there's too many guests. But then that begs the question: we can come back another time of day or when the ship is in port and less crowded, but even if there are still people there, we still have to get footage of those venues etc.  

I think you mean you want to get footage not have to.  I assume you have a YouTube channel and want compensation.  Or are you doing this for a private company?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pinboy said:

" Vlogger " ??? Is that the same as a guy/gal taking movie pictures on their Kodak movie camara-- the one that has been in the closet for 37 yrs ??

" Obnoxious passenger " ??? Is that the same as " Entitled with a BIGGGGG Mouth " ?

Reminds me of the ( no offence ) lady at a table near us on our recent cruise ( Edge --- March 6-17 ).

At one time I noticed a man sitting there " rolling his eyes ".

Guess who should have changed tables ??

Guess why we always take a table for two ????

Agree with mist of what you have said.  Do think always taking a table for two certainly limits the possibilities of meeting new and interesting people.  Over the years met several people who became life long friends.

Nothing says you ever need to speak to them again after your meal.

13 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

Really?  I would be angry to be told I needed to change my plans because someone is making a video to make money.  Last time I looked it doesn't say anything that bloggers MUST be given exclusive access to any venue on board. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree with mist of what you have said.  Do think always taking a table for two certainly limits the possibilities of meeting new and interesting people.  Over the years met several people who became life long friends.

Nothing says you ever need to speak to them again after your meal.

Absolutely— we are always ready to chat and have met many great people , some of whom we continue to be friends with.

Years ago we were seated at a table with 

a couple ( no need to elaborate), and learned a lesson.