The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 24th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Genocide is so senseless and Terrible we must not forget.  
@cat shepard glad you like the new fridge!  What kind did you get? 

@cruising sister panic attacks are so strange, I think it’s our bodies way of telling us we just cannot.  Happened to me only once as I was about to board a 747, needless to say DH had to go onto the tarmac to get our luggage offloaded.   Our DD had recently been in an accident and I couldn’t leave.  

We had wonderful aurora last night, it was cloudy but we went for a drive and we’re well rewarded.  Some really looked like celestial beings,  it was truly wonderful. 

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

Brenda

your pics are magical!

I bought a Whirlpool. It is a similar layout as my old LG: French door fridge with freezer on the bottom.  

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

@superoma @dfish @kochleffel @RMLincoln  @Quartzsite CruiserHere is the recipe I use for Crispy Baked Tofu  I think the key is to throughly press extra firm tofu; you could use a tofu press but I don’t like extra gadgets.  I slice it, wrap it in a single layer in a kitchen towel, put a cookie sheet on top and then weight it down with some heavy containers.  This is an excellent addition to a stir fry dish.

@bennybear Thank you for the photos of the Northern Lights.  Definitely on my bucket list but I hate cold weather.  Anyone have a suggestion for a cruise where I “might” be able to see them.  

I am very happy it’s time for the garden club again too!🌹🌸💐🌺🌷🌻🥀🌼

You will need to be in the northern part of the northern hemisphere in  September to April or May.    During the summer months, the sun is up too long to see the northern lights in Norway, Canada or Alaska.  We saw them in North Pole, Alaska, in September.

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

My GI Doc called. The tests have ruled out Cdiff as a cause for my colitis flare; it is seriously inflammed. So back on the opoids I go, will probably be on a maintence dose once he gets it under control. That said, Dr. did say I should be feeling better soon and gave his blessing for the May cruise. Only proviso, I call him as soon as I return.

I have been to Puerto Quezel several times and enjoy the Mayan Ruins along with their colorful costumes, purses etc. The first time there we went on a Hal excursion that took us to Lake Atitlan which is considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. The governor or president (senior moment, I don't remember which) has his summer palace right on the lake, it is magnificent. It was heartbreaking to see  native women doing their laundry in the lake within a few hundred yards of the palace. Sorry, no photos to show I suggest you Google Lake Atitlan.

Jane

Jane, I hope your colitis flare is better soon.  Our first time in Guatemala, pre-digital, we also took a tour to Lake Atitlan.  It is  beautiful area, and we enjoyed the tour very much.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

My mother was born in 1914. While all my friends' mothers guilted them with the "starving children in China", she reminded us of the starving Armenians, even though this was in the 1950s. She never explained. It wasn't until the late 1990s when I finally learned the history.

@kazu Jacqui and the rest of the Garden Club, these are for you. My iris have popped in the last day or so.

iris1.jpg

iris2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

@superoma @dfish @kochleffel @RMLincoln  @Quartzsite CruiserHere is the recipe I use for Crispy Baked Tofu  I think the key is to throughly press extra firm tofu; you could use a tofu press but I don’t like extra gadgets.  I slice it, wrap it in a single layer in a kitchen towel, put a cookie sheet on top and then weight it down with some heavy containers.  This is an excellent addition to a stir fry dish.

@bennybear Thank you for the photos of the Northern Lights.  Definitely on my bucket list but I hate cold weather.  Anyone have a suggestion for a cruise where I “might” be able to see them.  

I am very happy it’s time for the garden club again too!🌹🌸💐🌺🌷🌻🥀🌼

It’s actually quite pleasant here right now!  Plus 15 Celsius aka 59 Fahrenheit,  it beats standing outside in subzero weather.  The aurora is most active spring and fall.  Last night the data was absolutely incredible and they could be seen much further south.   Camera picks up much more than your naked eye, and some aurora photos you see are enhanced a lot.  The photos I posted had absolutely no editing.  

We have seen them when the odds were only 30% and even much less.  You can see how far the 

strong showing went on the map below.

IMG_3069.png

IMG_3070.png

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

San Diego is always a favorite port of call.Several aircraft carriers in port which I find kind of questionable with current world tensions.We did a wine tasting in Temecula wine region today and even though the wines were not to our tastings, except a couple, we still enjoyed our day excursion.  A lady down the hall from us had a heart attack this morning. Fortunate for her it happened here in San Diego where she can get the best of care.

Captain just did his daily report. We currently have 49 guest with Covid and one crew in isolation. Figures are going down but we will continue practicing precautions.

Around ten tonight winds will pick up to around 50 mph and we should experience some movement at sea.

Our next port of call will be Victoria and we have never visited there. Meanwhile two wonderful sea days. Three toots and we are on our way.

Have a great evening and week. Life is good on the MS Eurodam. B.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I bought a Whirlpool. It is a similar layout as my LG: French door fridge with freezer on the bottom.  

I just ordered a Frigidaire, same layout. Delivery can't be earlier than May 2, but I can't stay home either then or May 3, so I've scheduled it for May 5.

It was a little funny that the blue store would charge me $40 to remove the old fridge, but the electric company will pay me $50 to let them remove it.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

San Diego is always a favorite port of call.Several aircraft carriers in port which I find kind of questionable with current world tensions.We did a wine tasting in Temecula wine region today and even though the wines were not to our tastings, except a couple, we still enjoyed our day excursion.  A lady down the hall from us had a heart attack this morning. Fortunate for her it happened here in San Diego where she can get the best of care.

Captain just did his daily report. We currently have 49 guest with Covid and one crew in isolation. Figures are going down but we will continue practicing precautions.

Around ten tonight winds will pick up to around 50 mph and we should experience some movement at sea.

Our next port of call will be Victoria and we have never visited there. Meanwhile two wonderful sea days. Three toots and we are on our way.

Have a great evening and week. Life is good on the MS Eurodam. B.

Stay away from Pub Crawl. You will never make it back to ship!

• Haha 6

Its the end of the day, work is done, dinner was cooked, I ordered my meal for the flight out to Seattle, where we change plans to fly to Vancouver.  I need to try packing to see if the small carry on suitcase will do it for me for 19 days of adventures in Alaska and Vancouver.  We got our boarding time, 1 pm, our friends who have a verandah got a boarding time of 10 a.m.  They think that they got early as their hotel is across the street.  Who knows.  But we will be having dinner at Tamarind the first night, and BFF made the reservations for 6 pm.  At the rate that I am not eating, a late lunch and an early dinner wont work.

The vet reminded us about Irvings last appointment.  He has a high white blood cell count, could be cancer, he was losing weight,  well, he has lost more weight.  He does drink water, but he is dehydrated.  He piddles a lot.  Way too much. We explained our concern about his care with the cat sitter.  And the cat sitter does not stay here.  She said that boarding was 35 a night, that he would be in a cage, not with someone or another cat.    DH said he could not afford that, and almost cried.  The vet said that they could probably work out a discount, and that they would watch him.  Then DH walked out before they were going to give Irving some fluids, and the vet asked me, what I really thought.  I told her Im watching  him every day, and he is just getting worse.  The only think he lives for his getting his snacks after we eat.  He does not play, he gets confused when he is given cat food, sits and stares at the door.  We know that he has health issues, he's 15 and a half.  We were told when we adopted him he would have problems as he was neutered too young.  And now  all of him has problems.  We decided not to do more for him, and we are having him euthanized on Friday.  We are both taking the day off.

But then I found out that my job has been cut from 20 hours a week to 12, my night job was cut from 18 to 12, and I really am ready to take that vacation.  So all in all, today was pretty bad.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

13 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Today April 25th  is  ANZAC Day.  Lest We Forget.

When you go back home say, "For your tomorrows, we gave our today".

adapted from Simonides (556- 468)  by JH.Edmonds.

A few years back we attended a beautiful ceremony in honor of ANZAC Day on the MS Maasdam.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Its the end of the day, work is done, dinner was cooked, I ordered my meal for the flight out to Seattle, where we change plans to fly to Vancouver.  I need to try packing to see if the small carry on suitcase will do it for me for 19 days of adventures in Alaska and Vancouver.  We got our boarding time, 1 pm, our friends who have a verandah got a boarding time of 10 a.m.  They think that they got early as their hotel is across the street.  Who knows.  But we will be having dinner at Tamarind the first night, and BFF made the reservations for 6 pm.  At the rate that I am not eating, a late lunch and an early dinner wont work.

The vet reminded us about Irvings last appointment.  He has a high white blood cell count, could be cancer, he was losing weight,  well, he has lost more weight.  He does drink water, but he is dehydrated.  He piddles a lot.  Way too much. We explained our concern about his care with the cat sitter.  And the cat sitter does not stay here.  She said that boarding was 35 a night, that he would be in a cage, not with someone or another cat.    DH said he could not afford that, and almost cried.  The vet said that they could probably work out a discount, and that they would watch him.  Then DH walked out before they were going to give Irving some fluids, and the vet asked me, what I really thought.  I told her Im watching  him every day, and he is just getting worse.  The only think he lives for his getting his snacks after we eat.  He does not play, he gets confused when he is given cat food, sits and stares at the door.  We know that he has health issues, he's 15 and a half.  We were told when we adopted him he would have problems as he was neutered too young.  And now  all of him has problems.  We decided not to do more for him, and we are having him euthanized on Friday.  We are both taking the day off.

But then I found out that my job has been cut from 20 hours a week to 12, my night job was cut from 18 to 12, and I really am ready to take that vacation.  So all in all, today was pretty bad.

Sorry about Irving, but it sounds like it is the best for Irving. Love him up between now and then. It is a hard decision, but it is also our last act of love to our fur loves. And to have your hours cut .... well, that does make it a bad day. Hope things look up a bit tomorrow and that your vacation will give you a much needed breather.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Even petting Irving is upsetting to him.  He loves the heat vent, and Chuck's lap, but right now he is sleeping on the floor next to me.  We just didn't want to procrastinate the inevitable and have him pass away with just the sitter here. No reason to put more stress on Penny.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Sorry to hear how your day has gone. Hard decision with Ivan but a good decision but such a sad one.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

Today April 25th  is  ANZAC Day.  Lest We Forget.

When you go back home say, "For your tomorrows, we gave our today".

adapted from Simonides (556- 468)  by JH.Edmonds.

We're going to have an ANZAC ceremony tomorrow morning at 5:30 on the Grand Princess

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, I'm sorry today was so difficult, first with the decision about Irving and then having your hours cut.  For what it's worth, I think you made the best decision for Irving if not for you.  It sounds like irving is not enjoying life any more.  Between now and Friday, love Irving in anyway he accepts, and know your unselfish act is showing your love of Irving by putting his wellbeing first.  (((((HUGS)))))

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

{{{HUGS}}}

• Like 8

Annie and Chuck, that was a very hard decision to make but it sounds like it is time for Irving to go since he is not enjoying life anymore.  You are very brave and I send hugs to you both!  Sorry to hear about the hours cut too on top of everything.  You guys really need this upcoming cruise to relax and enjoy life a bit.  Take care of yourself!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, marshhawk said:

We were told when we adopted him he would have problems as he was neutered too young.  And now  all of him has problems.  We decided not to do more for him, and we are having him euthanized on Friday. 

Oh Annie, I am so sorry to hear this but from everything you have said, it sounds like you are doing the absolutely right thing for Irving as painful as it is ♥️ Bless you both for putting his quality of life first.

• Like 6