The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 7th, 2023

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days, will pass on the drink, red wine and meal though.  I would like the meal, but the sodium and carb count is just too high.  Funny quote!  Have never been to this port.

We have 3 days to regroup and then leave for Yellowstone.  So laundry, yardwork and (re)packing is on the to-do list.  Right now the weather forecast shows snow every day we'll be there, but we'll pack accordingly and still love it.

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm so sorry you're having a lot of pain from your fall.  Hoping it passes soon and you can enjoy your time in Germany.

Thinking of Annie @marshhawktoday as they board in Vancouver.  It was a total mess on Monday, and today is a big marathon in the city --- I hope it won't delay their boarding too much.

• Like 18

Good morning. Late arrival here today. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

I am currently doing yardwork. Taking advantage of this beautiful sunny day. 

Exactly 21 days until my Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (May 28 to June 4th). To say I am excited would be a huge understatement. 

Thinking of all of you. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, highscar said:

As a novice wine maker, DH first batch was in a new plastic garbage bucket with a garbage bag tied as a lid, cooking away. On the cedar chest in the bedroom to keep it away from the pets.  In the night the yeast did its thing and blew the bag of it and left us with purple stalagmites on the ceiling. Forgive the spelling. 

You reminded me of our experience with making beer. DH was in the Air Force and we were in Fort Walton Beach, Florida for a year. Beer was made and put in a tall Rubbermaid trash container. We stored in the back of the closet. Middle of the night-Kaboom! What a mess😮.

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

Happy Sunday!  I've had home brewed beer, it was good.  Tourism is a good thing, and we all enjoy some good humor, lots of funny jokes here.  We're taking the grands to a local, small theater this afternoon to see Descendants.  Should be good, we had to read up again on the story line 😉 They

were dressed as the characters for Halloween a few years ago.  It's around 80F here today, but the forecast is for 50's tomorrow.  Prayers for those that need them, and cheers to the rest.  Enjoy your day, Karen

• Like 14

Hello my Daily friends.  Just finished planting all the flowers and vegetables I bought yesterday.  Many planters with red flowers to attract hummingbirds to the deck.  IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.bc467bc54f4ebbb97294a6d553fa2e96.jpegSome herbs, lettuce, spinach and a lemon tree all grown from seeds. My DH made these pots with leftover tile.IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.7aed6b779451efd60ed51e12d1020753.jpegThe annuals have been planted in the beds around the house.  

Thank you for the pictures of Weymouth.  I look forward to seeing it myself in October on the Rotterdam TA.  We had HIA excursion credit so decided to use it to visit the village of Abbotsbury. There is a sanctuary for mute swans and a subtropical garden.  Some tourists visit museums but I like gardens and local markets in small towns.

Positive thoughts to all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon to all.  Happy Sunday.  

I just finished reading all the posts from yesterday and today trying to catch up.

i did not even begin to read Friday’s posts.  Friday was a day to forget.  We have hit a major snag in trying to settle DBIL’s estate.  Rather than go into all the details, all I will say is that I will never ever do business with Capital One Bank after this is over. They are the most unreasonable people to deal with.  They have withheld money for 1 1/2 years without cause and now are asking for documentation that is totally unnecessary according to our attorney.

End of rant.

Say a prayer this can be settled quickly without further ado.

Thanks.

Terrri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Denise T said:

Good morning. Late arrival here today. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

I am currently doing yardwork. Taking advantage of this beautiful sunny day. 

Exactly 21 days until my Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (May 28 to June 4th). To say I am excited would be a huge understatement. 

Thinking of all of you. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Delighted for you Denise and it's lovely you are counting down the days.

After 63 cruises we still feel exactly the same as you.

We have sailed on

Princess.

P&O.

Royal Caribbean.

MSC.

NCL.

from the UK and would love to sail on HAL from the UK.

I cannot even obtain a HAL cruises brochure from my English TA but no problems getting all the above cruise brochures plus Celebrity,Marella,Fred Olsen, Ambassador, Regent.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

Royal Canadian Mounted police leading the parade followed later  by members of the Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Armed Forces. 

King Charles was also presented with Noble, a  RCMP horse.  Queen Elizabeth rode Burmese a black RCMP horse for 18 consecutive years for the trooping of the colours.  

image.thumb.jpeg.ad1193e3c2f962970b80da54e069abf3.jpeg

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3138.avif

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

We are currently watching on BBC TV the band 

Take That performing at the 

Coronation concert at Windsor Castle.

All of the Royal family are there plus 45,000 people.

There are hundreds of thousands of people celebrating in cities all over the UK.

Our Millennium bridge and Quayside at Newcastle upon Tyne is packed with people celebrating a screening of the Coronation Concert.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Trillium are doing well even with competition from bleeding heart!

we made it to 70f today but clouds are moving in. According the dh, the garden needs rain!

FD4F6303-C475-4273-B3FB-239040B43897.jpeg

Beautiful!  How nice you have Ontario’s provincial flower (think it is still the flower of Ontario?).  I always thought they were gorgeous.

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Hello my Daily friends.  Just finished planting all the flowers and vegetables I bought yesterday.  Many planters with red flowers to attract hummingbirds to the deck.  IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.bc467bc54f4ebbb97294a6d553fa2e96.jpegSome herbs, lettuce, spinach and a lemon tree all grown from seeds. My DH made these pots with leftover tile.IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.7aed6b779451efd60ed51e12d1020753.jpegThe annuals have been planted in the beds around the house.  

Lovely!  Loved your photos of Sabine as well. Thank you for sharing 👍 

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for the pictures of Weymouth.  I look forward to seeing it myself in October on the Rotterdam TA.  We had HIA excursion credit so decided to use it to visit the village of Abbotsbury. There is a sanctuary for mute swans and a subtropical garden.  Some tourists visit museums but I like gardens and local markets in small towns.

See you at Abbotsbury 😉 I believe it’s the only sanctuary for these swans and the gardens are supposed to be lovely.  I’m looking forward to it, too 🙂 

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I will say is that I will never ever do business with Capital One Bank after this is over. They are the most unreasonable people to deal with.  They have withheld money for 1 1/2 years without cause and now are asking for documentation that is totally unnecessary according to our attorney.

So sorry you are having to deal with this 😔. It would be nice if some of these institutions realized how painful it is to pull out documents that cause pain 😔. Sadly, it seems it never ends.  I recently had do this for income tax.  Sheesh.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Royal Canadian Mounted police leading the parade followed later  by members of the Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Armed Forces. 

King Charles was also presented with Noble, a  RCMP horse.  Queen Elizabeth rode Burmese a black RCMP horse for 18 consecutive years for the trooping of the colours.  

IMG_3138.avif
58.78 kB · 

Fabulous pics and history.  Thanks 🙂 

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

The cruise was great, although I was limited by near crippling back and hip pain when on excursions and trying to do some walking. This will definitely need to be addressed when I get home. 

I am so sorry that you were in so much pain 😔. It sure can make the enjoyment of your tours challenging to sy the least.  I hope your doctors can help you when you get home and you can enjoy your time in Germany 🤞 

7 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

The cruise was great and they really did go "all (or mostly) out" to make the anniversary crossing special. We had excellent service everywhere and did not experience any noticeable cutbacks or shortages. The ship was certainly busy, especially after the crossing, but we never felt very crowded. 

Great to hear 👍 thank you so much for sharing some of your experiences on the live thread.  It was SO appreciated 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Beautiful!  How nice you have Ontario’s provincial flower (think it is still the flower of Ontario?).  I always thought they were gorgeous.

Lovely!  Loved your photos of Sabine as well. Thank you for sharing 👍 

See you at Abbotsbury 😉 I believe it’s the only sanctuary for these swans and the gardens are supposed to be lovely.  I’m looking forward to it, too 🙂 

So sorry you are having to deal with this 😔. It would be nice if some of these institutions realized how painful it is to pull out documents that cause pain 😔. Sadly, it seems it never ends.  I recently had do this for income tax.  Sheesh.

Fabulous pics and history.  Thanks 🙂 

I am so sorry that you were in so much pain 😔. It sure can make the enjoyment of your tours challenging to sy the least.  I hope your doctors can help you when you get home and you can enjoy your time in Germany 🤞 

Great to hear 👍 thank you so much for sharing some of your experiences on the live thread.  It was SO appreciated 👍 

Thank you! Yes the trillium is still Ontario’s flower and it is a actually illegal to pick it in the wild. I was lucky and got a small one from a friend’s private property and I try to take care of it because I don’t  know where to go to replace it. My hellebores tell me spring is coming but my trillium says spring is here! And in our part of Ontario summer temps won’t be far behind

Edited by superoma
Grammar
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Catching up late!  It’s heartwarming to be with all of you!!  Did get out for a short walk. Hips not as good as I’d like but I’m walking short walks so that is something!  

@Cruzin Terri 🙏 for a breakthrough!  
@JazzyV 🙏 for less pain. Maybe an Urgent Care type clinic could get you a 6-day tapering steroid pack for a burst of relief, if you can take those. Or maybe NSAIDS like Aleve or Advil. Hoping you are guided to some relief. 

Adjusting my thinking to recognizing that travel will put off till later in the year…. Not bad if we can make progress on stabilizing eye issues and some long-term planning.  Then celebrate with a cruise!!  

Thank you for all the flower pix. I live in a 6th floor condo… but the grounds around a nice. Never was good at gardening but I do enjoy visiting them. 

@dfish Debbie, thanks for all your fun food ideas. I figure I’ve made over 20,000 suppers!  New ideas are more welcome now than ever!  

🙏 Blessings to everyone in need!  
🥂Cheers to those celebrating! Life is Good!  
🚢 Bon Voyage to @marshhawk et al.  And smooth travels to all away, especially those cruising. 

May we all have a good rest tonight!  And those soon awakening in the other hemisphere, have a great day!  

Maureen

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 16

Good evening.  As usual, the day didn't go quite as planned.  After breakfast,  we went to the local nursery to get a bag of mulch.  I need to replace some mulch in a few areas of one flowerbed.  I didn't get started on the yard until this afternoon.  Finally, the yard was mowed and trimmed.  

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days, will pass on the drink, red wine and meal though.  I would like the meal, but the sodium and carb count is just too high.  Funny quote!  Have never been to this port.

We have 3 days to regroup and then leave for Yellowstone.  So laundry, yardwork and (re)packing is on the to-do list.  Right now the weather forecast shows snow every day we'll be there, but we'll pack accordingly and still love it.

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm so sorry you're having a lot of pain from your fall.  Hoping it passes soon and you can enjoy your time in Germany.

Thinking of Annie @marshhawktoday as they board in Vancouver.  It was a total mess on Monday, and today is a big marathon in the city --- I hope it won't delay their boarding too much.

Carolyn, have a great trip to Yellowstone, my favorite national park.  Everything else w8ll be there when you get back.

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Afternoon to all.  Happy Sunday.  

I just finished reading all the posts from yesterday and today trying to catch up.

i did not even begin to read Friday’s posts.  Friday was a day to forget.  We have hit a major snag in trying to settle DBIL’s estate.  Rather than go into all the details, all I will say is that I will never ever do business with Capital One Bank after this is over. They are the most unreasonable people to deal with.  They have withheld money for 1 1/2 years without cause and now are asking for documentation that is totally unnecessary according to our attorney.

End of rant.

Say a prayer this can be settled quickly without further ado.

Thanks.

Terrri

Terri, I'm sorry you are still having to deal with this.  Whilemit willmcost, can the lawyers handle the latest request?

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

IMG_3137.jpeg

IMG_3138.avif 58.78 kB · 9 downloads

Brenda, thank your for the pictures from yrsterday, Nd formthe ones with Sabine.  She was the Staff Captain when we were on Koningsdam.  A loss for HAL.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Roy, I know you have been interested in HAL Staff Captain Sabine Ruhmann's progress of becoming HAL's first female captain. Well, unfortunately, learned that's not going to be happening. Sabine (far right in the pic) is no longer with HAL; she is now a river pilot on the Eems River in her native Germany. We're going to have to wait a bit longer for HAL's first female captain coming up the ranks. Don't believe there are any female staff captains at the moment

We're at Canada Place waiting for Nieuw Amsterdam to be cleared by the local authorities so we can mosey up to Vancouver Int'l airport, put an egg in our shoe, and scramble outtahere via Air Canada. eh

No photo description available.

Thank you.  I learned some time ago that Sabine had left HAL but not the rest of the story..  I think river pilot sounds like a fantastic career.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good evening from the lovely Volendam at sea going really slow to Seattle. I haven’t said much about this segment because it’s not quite what I’m used to. Since it’s a short 4 day cruise there are a lot of young people onboard and a lot of kids. I guess I didn’t realize that so many 30 year olds would like a shorter cruise. And lots of groups, like girlfriends and families and friends. I hate to say it but it reminds me of my one and only Carnival cruise I took 25 years ago with a friend. 

We have been sailing in a U-turn sort of pattern since leaving Vancouver. We went out past the land that goes beyond the inside passage (sorry but I don’t know what it’s called) and have now turned back in heading to Seattle. It was a bit rolly but not too bad. Our new Captain came onboard, Henk Draper, and the port staff was all a tizzy yesterday because his wife was coming aboard. 

Vancouver is another story. Whoa!  Poor Craig is not going to be happy. What a line even for in transit passengers. Enough said. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

48 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good evening from the lovely Volendam at sea going really slow to Seattle. I haven’t said much about this segment because it’s not quite what I’m used to. Since it’s a short 4 day cruise there are a lot of young people onboard and a lot of kids. I guess I didn’t realize that so many 30 year olds would like a shorter cruise. And lots of groups, like girlfriends and families and friends. I hate to say it but it reminds me of my one and only Carnival cruise I took 25 years ago with a friend. 

We have been sailing in a U-turn sort of pattern since leaving Vancouver. We went out past the land that goes beyond the inside passage (sorry but I don’t know what it’s called) and have now turned back in heading to Seattle. It was a bit rolly but not too bad. Our new Captain came onboard, Henk Draper, and the port staff was all a tizzy yesterday because his wife was coming aboard. 

Vancouver is another story. Whoa!  Poor Craig is not going to be happy. What a line even for in transit passengers. Enough said. 

Have a great evening everyone!

Sharon, Captain Draper was on Koningsdam in 2021, and we liked him very much.

Lenda

• Like 2