The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 7th, 2023

Just a quick check in from Schiphol airport. I am woefully behind on the goings on of the Daily, but will catch up once in Germany. Our plane to Stuttgart leaves in a couple of hours. The cruise was great, although I was limited by near crippling back and hip pain when on excursions and trying to do some walking. This will definitely need to be addressed when I get home. 

Today is my DM’s heavenly birthday; she would have been 119. She is missed. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I hope Father David's pilgrimage is going well. Welcome do dry land Vanessa.  I'll pass on the home brew but celebrate tourism and laughter.  Been to Portland once on the Elegant Explorer.  Where would we be today without the integrated circuit.  Funny quote by Seinfeld.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is a Toasted ham and cheese, similar to what's served on Nieuw Statendam's Dutch cafe but this is dinner from an Amsterdam restaurant after disembarking:

dinner05.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone. I would very much like to be a tourist anywhere but it is not possible  now.  @kazu, Jacqui, I laughed at the dog in the dishwasher meme as my son's  new puppy tried to climb in with the dishes last week.I enjoy all the laughs  here and the camaraderie.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I am so sorry to read about the ongoing pain from your fall.I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your vacation.

We were on the Prinsendam with Sandi at this port. It was a beautiful place to visit.My pictures are trapped on my dead computer!

Have a wonderful  day everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to all!  Seems to be working up to a nice day here in Arizona but then when it is not!

Thank you for the pictures.  As I love shrimp and pesto and......... well, anything really...... I might have to try to make some of the food mentioned.

My ex-husband made his own beer but I didn't like beer then. While living in Riyadh, KSA, I went to a party given by British Aerospace and they had homemade beer and wine.  Beer was yuck but the wine was not bad.  So we would go to Bahrain to buy yeast (couldn't get it - or things like vanilla extract) and make our own.  And while living in Najran, KSA, a doc from Tunisia distilled us some vodka.  It was really good!!  

Thoughts for those on the care list.

Have a great day!!

• Like 20

47 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Sunrise....tulips...and everyone needs a palm tree....😅🌴🌞

Happy Sunday.... hope everyone is well...😊

PXL_20230423_130248248~2.jpg

PXL_20230423_154154333~2.jpg

I’ll see your Oregon palm tree and raise you an Ontario one! Along with a flamingo 

F2134CDA-5E27-4482-9F1E-EA056E84D4FA.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 18

Good morning all.  Off to church in a bit and should be a nice day here.  Baseball on tv and I will cook up some steak and potatoes augratin (sp?) for DH.  I will have some asparagus.  Prayers for all in need.  

Katherine

• Like 16

We are safely back in Saint Paul after our 33 days on the Rotterdam. We got in around 7PM yesterday after a long day of traveling. Got up at 6AM to go through immigration at 7AM onboard the ship (agents actually showed up around 7:20). We disembarked around 10:15 for the last (I think) HAL bus to Schiphol for our 3:25PM nonstop to MSP. The airport really wasn't too awfully crowded and we were able to get through check-in, bag drop, and security with minimal difficulty. The smooth flight (around 9 hours) took off about 15 minutes late but got in maybe 20 minutes early. 

The cruise was great and they really did go "all (or mostly) out" to make the anniversary crossing special. We had excellent service everywhere and did not experience any noticeable cutbacks or shortages. The ship was certainly busy, especially after the crossing, but we never felt very crowded. 

I will try to post more details after we decompress for a few days!

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  While I'm not into homebrew, I have sipped some - serious firewater!  I'm all about tourism and laughter, often together.  

Another bright sunny day out there, but we've got some wind moving the treetops around - could definitely use rain, as can our friends in neighbouring Alberta who are dealing with wildfires.  So many homes and businesses have already been lost and at this point around 25,000 people have had to be evacuated.  I can't imagine being given 20 minutes to gather up all you can and leave your home, possibly forever.  Praying for rain.

We're meeting with friends for breakfast this morning at a restaurant where they have various bands come in to entertain patrons.  This morning we'll be listening to "honky tonk" music, so it should be fun catching up with our friends and enjoying the music.

@aliaschief how did the 6 year old's birthday swim party go?

@cruzn single glad your surgery is over and hope the healing is quick!

After breakfast, we'll head over to DH's daughter's, as we purchased a few pots of herbs that she had on her list.  She works all week and knows we like to head out to see what's in the various greenhouses, etc., so gave me a list of things to pick up if we saw them.  This year she's devoting one large planter to herbs, which I'm sure will be quite nice, as she's a good gardener.  I have a brown thumb, so I buy most of my stuff.  LOL

May be an image of welcome mat and text that says 'Nothing like coming back home and cracking open a six pack.'

I think we'd like today's menu suggestion, but I have a pork loin thawing in the fridge that will go into the slow cooker along with a bottle of barbecue sauce.  We'll be enjoying pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for the families of the victims in Allen, TX.  Cheers to all with celebrations, with extra cheers to @marshhawk who will be embarking on her first BHB today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 24

As a novice wine maker, DH first batch was in a new plastic garbage bucket with a garbage bag tied as a lid, cooking away. On the cedar chest in the bedroom to keep it away from the pets.  In the night the yeast did its thing and blew the bag of it and left us with purple stalagmites on the ceiling. Forgive the spelling. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 17

I have a sunset today rather than a sunrise.  It's from my 2017 Crystal Symphony voyage from San Diego to New York.  On May 7 we visited San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. 

dusk0507.jpg

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites. 

First, prayers lifted for all who need a little boost today. I pray for those recovering and healing. Our Texas towns need serious prayers for not only the mass shootings but the people expected to cross over the borders soon.

We had such a great time last night for the Kentucky Derby. There were 210 people in our ballroom and those that made the Derby hats were lovely. I'll post pictures of the winning lady. She's a neighbor and the votes were a landslide for her hat.

Tonight we are headed to couple's game night. We each bring a dish for dinner. I made creme brulee. Our host is making shrimp creole! 

I don't want to jinx myself,  but for the past 2 nights, no armadillo in our yard! The ammonia and moth balls may be working. However our next door neighbor is now the recipient of damage.

Just a note to say since Rich went from the Fleet Report to the Daily, we have become a pretty tight nit group of friends. I enjoy each one of you and love to hear how your everyday life is going.

image.png.e93f4fce4b967a546e724eae1b281a50.png

image.png.47b8a0f0eca61b56712f96432e06a6ef.png

image.png.e2299e3dba73a2b093f145c80eeafe0b.png

I was going to post one more meme, but better leave it at three.

Oh what the heck!!

image.png.fde0f58802d5c41eef287e6a029891b8.png

Blessings to you on this beautiful Sunday morning. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

32 minutes ago, highscar said:

As a novice wine maker, DH first batch was in a new plastic garbage bucket with a garbage bag tied as a lid, cooking away. On the cedar chest in the bedroom to keep it away from the pets.  In the night the yeast did its thing and blew the bag of it and left us with purple stalagmites on the ceiling. Forgive the spelling. 

I did something similar. My strawberry wine made to the bottles but the corks blew and we had a pink dining room ceiling. I stuck to making white wines after that. 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 16

Good morning from another overcast, humid day in central Texas.  It is now 69F and will reach 83F this afternoon.  Looking at the forecast for the week and what is on our schedule, I better mow the yard today.  If I wait until after all our projected rain the grass will be so tall and thick, I would have to make two passes.  One pass is enough for one day.  At least, my mower is a vast improvement over this one.

344069035_187130294191891_4344641206025816511_n.jpg.03a6e4484ddb5faff6a7a69ca146e122.jpg

I hope all our Dailyites who lived north of Dallas and near Allen were not at the outlet mall yesterday, and that all are safe.  I also hope all the Dailyites who are in Alberta are save from the wildfires.

We can easily celebrate tourism day and laughter day.  We have not tried making homebrew or homemade wine.

I smile when I read Jerry Seinfeld's quote, and I only wish it were true.  The space available for news in a newspaper is dependent on the amount of advertising sold for each issue.  More ads mean more space for stories.  It is up to the editors to wisely choose which stories to publish and which to cut.

The meal sounds interesting as does the wine except for the price.  We'll pass on the drink.

We were in Portland/Weymouth on August 18,  2017, on Prinsendam.  I'll share my pictures in a few minutes.

@grapau27  Graham, many times ordinary people can come up with funnier lines than comedians.  Than you for sharing some good quotes from Pauline's mam.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the crack last night did not do any damage to the elbow.  Loved today's memes.

@dfish  Debbie, I like the idea that the six year olds are being taught the basics and especially how to be a team and sportsmanship.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope your knees, hips and back don't give your too much trouble while you are in Germany.  Enjoy the visit.

@Overhead Fred  Welcome home, Fred and Mitzi.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad the armadillos have moved on, but sorry it was to your neighbor's yard.  You might want to lend him some ammonia and mothballs.  The party sounds like it was a lot of fun.

343768321_546457744349939_6658229707740672505_n.jpg.dd43ba56fc7f4e21912d4270f8714459.jpg

343838249_196908149836123_8657478598471410271_n.jpg.e2b4232c4c410fe972c3dd6618a5e95f.jpg

343931114_1305368690191309_8034954458499244936_n.thumb.jpg.5f176ae71d2e3501ea56c5032c9df864.jpg

To celebrate the creation of the integrated circuit, I thought this might be appropriate.

344210705_1448654879287048_2312904046625193903_n.jpg.280a74cf8adb5cac9aba27da66259c04.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

On August 18, 2017, we visited Portland and Weymouth on the Prinsendam.  These pictures were taken when we got off the shuttle in Weymouth and after we returned the rental car when we walked around before taking the shuttle back to Portland and the Prinsendam.

Our early morning stroll while we checked with the rental companies.  We finally found one vehicle for rent, and we spent most of the day visiting Bath.

DSC09166.thumb.JPG.df77ac019a50cce3449c7dc3768d08a0.JPG

DSC09167.thumb.JPG.614fda4cc363b37c7d3a8f819fb242f1.JPG

Our walk around the harbor area after coming back from the car rental company.

DSC09221.thumb.JPG.5dee6a5b810390dd99eb8967add8dc2b.JPG
DSC09222.thumb.JPG.0505a7cdcefeadd4e0a9c5f24b20abb0.JPG

DSC09223.thumb.JPG.8c98b1583feb6ee32780209047144c67.JPG

DSC09225.thumb.JPG.3cfa0eb1e24cdaf7f0b5af24de7214a3.JPG

DSC09226.thumb.JPG.c85821c376a5a52b313c31a9116b4a96.JPG

DSC09228.thumb.JPG.0897c53f9fe211215e0f59f20d0bdbf8.JPG

DSC09230.thumb.JPG.5d6a2a3dac537ce223c832adb41b5034.JPG

Our chariot for the day.  It got us where we wanted to go and back.  What more could you ask for?

DSC09220.thumb.JPG.1462b38ae32eab9baff86980a390ee62.JPG

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

@ger_77Gerry the birthday party at the pool was fine. 8 screaming 7yo’s but it was a huge development pool complex with spiraling water slides, competition swim lanes, gymnasium and a playground so the gals had a good time. 
Now I wish our trip to grocery store this morning went as well. Future shopping will be done during school time!

• Like 13
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Just a quick check in from Schiphol airport. I am woefully behind on the goings on of the Daily, but will catch up once in Germany. Our plane to Stuttgart leaves in a couple of hours. The cruise was great, although I was limited by near crippling back and hip pain when on excursions and trying to do some walking. This will definitely need to be addressed when I get home. 

Today is my DM’s heavenly birthday; she would have been 119. She is missed. 

Happy 119th heavenly birthday to your dear mam Vanessa.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I hope Father David's pilgrimage is going well. Welcome do dry land Vanessa.  I'll pass on the home brew but celebrate tourism and laughter.  Been to Portland once on the Elegant Explorer.  Where would we be today without the integrated circuit.  Funny quote by Seinfeld.  I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is a Toasted ham and cheese, similar to what's served on Nieuw Statendam's Dutch cafe but this is dinner from an Amsterdam restaurant after disembarking:

Roy

Roy, I know you have been interested in HAL Staff Captain Sabine Ruhmann's progress of becoming HAL's first female captain. Well, unfortunately, learned that's not going to be happening. Sabine (far right in the pic) is no longer with HAL; she is now a river pilot on the Eems River in her native Germany. We're going to have to wait a bit longer for HAL's first female captain coming up the ranks. Don't believe there are any female staff captains at the moment

We're at Canada Place waiting for Nieuw Amsterdam to be cleared by the local authorities so we can mosey up to Vancouver Int'l airport, put an egg in our shoe, and scramble outtahere via Air Canada. eh

No photo description available.

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 8

Good morning and thanks all! @dfishyummy! 

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily fleet report.  It's another beautiful day here and eventually I hope to get some yard work done.  I'll pass on today's meal suggestion instead I think we are going out for dinner. Yesterday we got some tomato and pepper plants along with dome flowers and catnip.  The upstairs deck garden is mostly done. Today I'm planning on packing for this week's work roadtrip,  the first since the shutdown,  and start packing for the Zaandam.  I hope everyone has a good day today. 

20230507_063504.thumb.jpg.6d4ad566e97f0d72d6e8231b4c96dbb7.jpg

absolutely glorious! Thanks for sharing!

@superomathanks for your diligence! The over 100 fires are a mess here and we got a province wide warning about travelling.  So many displaced!  

Laughter is so important for us all!  I will most definitely celebrate that!   Even black humour which some don’t find funny but serves a purpose as a release. 

We very much enjoyed visiting the Jurassic coast where I found an amazing fossil. And the stunning coastline of Durdle door.

I will adjust my tiara….

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Roy, I know you have been interested in HAL Staff Captain Sabine Ruhmann's progress of becoming HAL's first female captain. Well, unfortunately, learned that's not going to be happening. Sabine (far right in the pic) is no longer with HAL; she is now a river pilot on the Eems River in her native Germany. We're going to have to wait a bit longer for HAL's first female captain coming up the ranks. Don't believe there are any female staff captains at the moment

We're at Canada Place waiting for Nieuw Amsterdam to be cleared by the local authorities so we can mosey up to Vancouver Int'l airport, put an egg in our shoe, and scramble outtahere via Air Canada. eh

No photo description available.

Thanks copper!  We had the pleasure of getting to know  former Staff Captain Sabine on the Zuiderdam, dining with her and being invited to the bridge.  Such a loss! 

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3839.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks copper!  We had the pleasure of getting to know  former Staff Captain Sabine on the Zuiderdam, dining with her and being invited to the bridge.  Such a loss! 

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3839.jpeg

IMG_3848.jpeg

Nice pics Benny, thanks! I worked with/alongside Sabine and yes, she will be missed!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1