Early Dining Time on Wonder - 5PM really? - How late can me show up?

The Early Dining time is 5pm on our upcoming Wonder of the Seas cruise. Late sitting is just too late and MTD only had reservations around 8pm anyway (back when reservations opened!). So early was the only good choice for us. But 5PM is the earliest time I've ever seen on a cruise (Royal or not).

How late can we arrive? Would 5:30PM be ok? 

They seemed to have backed the early dining up from 530 to 5:00 on most ships, which I agree is a little early. But I think they give you about a 20 minute window, if you aren't there by 15-20 after start time, they may give the table up.  You may be able to ask them the first night if they think they can hold up for you, not sure if they can do that or not

Edited by Scottdalfonso

We did see this on Serenade.....they gave the table away and the regular people showed up at 5:45 to find their table gone.

We had early dining.  Wasn't crazy about it, but since we don't consider ourselves "special" we arrived on time.  

Actually, after a few days we got used to it and liked it.

We always arrived at 5 pm and I would say about 25% of people were already seated, so they arrived even earlier.

Edited by mafig
  • Like 6

I think that 20 minute window has narrowed to 5-10 minutes. I suggest you talk to the MDR manager to ask if you can be later. They need to turn the early seating tables over for the late seating. If the early seating diners stay later than expected, the late seating diners would have to wait for their table at their assigned time. That would be rude in my opinion. Sorry, but good luck! Cheers!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, feeloftheocean said:

The Early Dining time is 5pm on our upcoming Wonder of the Seas cruise. Late sitting is just too late and MTD only had reservations around 8pm anyway (back when reservations opened!). So early was the only good choice for us. But 5PM is the earliest time I've ever seen on a cruise (Royal or not).

How late can we arrive? Would 5:30PM be ok? 

I have seen them give away peoples table after 15 minutes

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the feedback. In our previous cruises, we have always prioritized being punctual for our assigned dining time, typically around 6 PM, and we truly appreciate the unique experience of enjoying the Main Dining room service that distinguishes cruises from other types of vacations.

This upcoming cruise I just want to ensure that we can accommodate this early dining time in our schedule. While we are open to considering other dining options, we are mindful that specialty dining can quickly become costly for a family.

• Like 3

On one of our latest cruises they had a sign at the entrance of the MDR that the doors would close at 515. Most showed up at the assigned time of 5, including us.

Although I thought that may be too early, it turned out to be perfect. We got dinner out of the way so we had the rest of the night uninterrupted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, feeloftheocean said:

Thank you all for the feedback. In our previous cruises, we have always prioritized being punctual for our assigned dining time, typically around 6 PM, and we truly appreciate the unique experience of enjoying the Main Dining room service that distinguishes cruises from other types of vacations.

This upcoming cruise I just want to ensure that we can accommodate this early dining time in our schedule. While we are open to considering other dining options, we are mindful that specialty dining can quickly become costly for a family.

You may realize you like it better than you thought…we did..see my comment above 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If you have 5:00 dinner, you are expected to be there at 5:00. Any later, please make alternative arrangements (specialty, buffet, etc).

x2 

Imagine all the people you are affecting when you show up late. 

As others said, you may like it. Early dining frees up your evening. 

A great example for the family to be respectful and show up on time.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

x2 

Imagine all the people you are affecting when you show up late. 

As others said, you may like it. Early dining frees up your evening. 

A great example for the family to be respectful and show up on time.

I don’t have to justify my actions but we did show up on time in the past as mentioned in my previous post. I was asking about what time is acceptable to show up at and nothing else. Thanks for the answers.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, feeloftheocean said:

I don’t have to justify my actions but we did show up on time in the past as mentioned in my previous post. I was asking about what time is acceptable to show up at and nothing else. Thanks for the answers.

A little late is OK if you are seated by yourself, if sharing a table with others and holding up the others at the table waiting for you wold be a little rude. 

On the Anthem in March, we were told anything past 30 minutes late and they would give it away.  We showed up 15 minutes "late" every night.  Not really on purpose.  We didn't realize until the last night that the actual time we were supposed to show up was 15 minutes earlier than we thought.  LOL

15 minutes won't impact anyone at all for traditional seating.  We had our own table of 5

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 4

No one has mentioned the real reason that early dining is now so early.  It is because of the new MTD set up. 

MTD used to have it's own deck and separate from traditional dining deck.  Now....MTD is simply a fit in after first seating on the main dining deck.  MTD pax are at the mercy of when those first dining pax are ready to leave their table before they can seated.  The ships are getting major flack from MTD customers when the first dining pax linger over dessert/coffee/drinks/conversations ......then the MTD line at the door gets bigger (even if you have a reservation).  

Thus the ships are trying to get first seating traditional diners to come in earlier (hoping they will finish earlier) to get those MTD pax seated.  

IMHO...the new MTD program is a total fail. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

With traditional dining -- early or late -- you're expected to arrive on time.  You'll be seated with other people, and arriving late would affect them.  

Since you don't sound too happy about that, remember you do have options: 

- Call in every other week and see if anything has opened up in My Time Dining.  That'd allow you more flexibility. 

- Remember that you can walk into the Windjammer or the Something Bistro (real name won't come to me right now) without reservations, and it's a good dinner.  

- Consider dinner at a specialty restaurant.  

- Remember that even pizza or sandwiches is a decent dinner.  

- If you think you'd miss the MDR, plan to have your at-sea day lunches there.  You won't need a reservation.  

- Remember you don't have to do the same thing every evening.  You can keep your unwanted MDR reservation for a couple nights and mix in some of these other options for the other nights.

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

No one has mentioned the real reason that early dining is now so early.  It is because of the new MTD set up. 

We like early traditional but it is too early now, agreed.

I didn't realize they changed MTD to this process.  Makes sense now that I think back.  On the Anthem in March we had early seating, and a couple of times I left the MDR to use the bathroom, only to find HUGE throngs of other cruises waiting for a table.  Normally by the time we left dinner the crowds were gone (we must take a long time dining)

30 minutes ago, island lady said:

IMHO...the new MTD program is a total fail. 

We were none the wiser with our MTD being perfect for years, until 2022 and I ran into our first issues with it (particularly long lines). We ended up being put onto Early-Traditional and that's become a better solution for us. We let the Matire'd know of our Spec Dining nights so they can fill our two-top from the MTD line quicker, but I guess at least on the last cruise they still held our table until like 6pm (per the people sitting next to us).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We like early traditional but it is too early now, agreed.

I didn't realize they changed MTD to this process.  Makes sense now that I think back.  On the Anthem in March we had early seating, and a couple of times I left the MDR to use the bathroom, only to find HUGE throngs of other cruises waiting for a table.  Normally by the time we left dinner the crowds were gone (we must take a long time dining)

We used to love MTD.  There was always a waiting list to be on it.  That was when it was handled as it should be.  Now...oh no...won't book it again unless they change it back.  We do early, and love..love just being able to walk straight to our table when they open...no lines to wait in, same wait staff that knows how preferences.   Those MTD long lines waiting to get in...not for me. 

Yes, it is early, but we simply get used to it.  We no longer eat happy tisers in the lounges, which we don't use much now anyway, so we are not filled up on that before early dinner.  And it does give us more time to do early shows.  

We adjusted...and for us...it worked out well.  

• Like 8

We that is distressing to know! My DS and I are taking our first cruise since before covid and then some due to family health problems. MTD worked great for us because to be honest, my DS did not like dining with strangers. Our table mates were not always people we enjoyed sharing a table with and probably vice versa. 😇 A table for two or not having the same table mates each night was preferable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, temple1 said:

We that is distressing to know! My DS and I are taking our first cruise since before covid and then some due to family health problems. MTD worked great for us because to be honest, my DS did not like dining with strangers. Our table mates were not always people we enjoyed sharing a table with and probably vice versa. 😇 A table for two or not having the same table mates each night was preferable.

We hardly ever eat in the MDR anyway but I still request a table for 2 for traditional early seating and have never been denied. If you don't want to eat with others (I wouldn't either) just request a 2-top.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, temple1 said:

I have never had a problem asking for a "two top" for meals in the MDR.   I think it is still in our old profile.  I will have to ask for breakfast or lunch,(open seating)  but our assigned dinner table is always a two top without asking.  

• Like 1