The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 1st, 2023

richwmn

Today is Heimlich Maneuver Day, National Say Something Nice Day, and Dare Day

New beginnings are in order, and you are bound to feel some level of excitement as new chances come your way -- Auliq Ice

Meal Suggestion for today - Spring-Dinner Tilapia
Drink of the Day - Tom Collins
Wine of the Day - Dakota Shy Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2019
Destination of the Day - Puerto Madero, MX

Today in History:
1968 Simon & Garfunkel's single "Mrs Robinson" from "The Graduate" hits #1 (first rock song to win Grammy for Record of the Year)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Nieuw Statendam

Alesund, Norway 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Oosterdam

Cannes, France 0700-1800

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 0700-1900

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 02 Jun

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska

Zaandam

At Sea destination Quebec City, Quebec eta 02 Jun

Zuiderdam

Falmouth, England 0700-1600

0601Atlantic.thumb.png.2f0d190f96b557d1b3bc5946f574e121.png

0601Alaska.thumb.png.36085bbb19c70b9d22ccc5ae758651eb.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Wow, I have never been the first(almost!) to post after rich! We meet with a real estate agent today to sell my dad’s house. Maybe better sleep will come as things fall into place. Will finish the cleaning today.

have a good day everyone. Another 90f day here today.

@seagarsmoker beat me!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877 DH’s surgery yesterday

Ger_77’s DH with increased angina

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

Marshhawk and DH Chuck with Covid after cruise

Wildfire victims

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and Sudan

From the rotation:

Tana’s pulmonary issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

MrSnuffleupagus, Welcome to the Daily!

My knee x-rays showing no fractures

Tana celebrating small wellness victories 

Rafinmd planning September and November cruises

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 days for Suslor (Eurodam June 3 to 10)

2 days for aliaschief (Azamara Journey June 3 to June 28)

7 days for ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas June 8 to June 15)

Oceansaway17 (Disney Fantasy to June 3), DeniseT (Nieuw Amsterdam to June 4)

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Rabbit Rabbit 🐇 White rabbit.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Heimlich maneuver has probably saved lots of lives when someone has food stuck in their throats that stops them breathing.

Saying lots of nice things every day is the best way.

Bridge over troubled water is my favourite Simon and Garfunkel song but today's history song was good too.

Best wishes to everyone who make the Daily and fleet reports special.

I hope y'all have a happy and safe day.

• Like 32

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.  Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report. Great collection of days, I’ve witnessed the Heimlich Maneuver used on someone who was choking, definitely works!  I dare us all to say something nice today although this crowd won’t have a problem with that!  I like the quote, new beginnings are an exciting time for sure.  I’ll pass on the Talapia but a Tom Collins is always welcome.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!  Good morning friends!  It's 61F and will rise to 81 and cloudy skies.  I can't believe how fast each month goes by.  Another rabbit day!🐇  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  I searched for Puerto Madero but we hadn't had that port before.  When I searched for information on it I found that Puerto Madero and Puerto Chiapas are the same place.  Okay!  We have had Puerto Chiapas before twice, on April 10, 2021 and April 15, 2022.  I'll add links and photos later. 

Nice days to salute today - Heimlich Maneuver Day reminds us all to learn and use that method of clearing objects from windpipes.  Many lives have been saved that way.  We should always try to say something nice about someone (or say nothing at all!).  I'm going to say Graham @grapau27 I love your Southern accent when you type "y'all".   😂  I'm sure there's something great to say about Dare Day but I can't think of it right now.  🤔  The quote is uplifting.  I think I'll pass on the Spring-Dinner Tilapia.  I've heard of Tom Collins but forget how they are made and don't drink red wine.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for helping us out with those foods and beverages!

Vanessa @JazzyV thank you for publishing the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for everyone needing them and hope to hear Terry @smitty34877's DH is home and doing well this morning.  Three cheers to those celebrating and cruising.🚢🥂 

Interesting tidbit about Mrs. Robinson from Simon and Garfunkel being #1 back in 1968.  I remember it well!  Thanks Rich for that day in history.

Here are the links I mentioned earlier for our port of the day.

We stopped at Puerto Chiapas on our Panama Canal (FLL to San Diego).  To be honest, that stop is basically a cruise ship built dock with nothing there but a building where the local dancers can welcome you and a few trinkets sold there.  If you don't take a tour here, and I don't know what those tours were because we didn't take one, you have to stay on the ship or buy a ride on a van to the next town, Tapachula though I didn't know the name.  There wasn't a lot there to see or interest us so basically we rode over there, got out to walk around a bit and high-tailed it back to the ship.  Edited to add the ship was the Westerdam and the date was March 2016.

View of the dockenhance

dancers showing their skillsenhance

Buses for the tours getting ready to fill upenhance

Vans for shuttling to townenhance

As you can tell there was nowhere to go here by the ship, so we took the van to Tapachula.  Photos of the city below. enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Riders in the back of a pick up truck.enhance

Heading to the air conditioning on the ship.   AAAHHH!enhance

But first a photo of Flat Stanley at the welcome sign to show he was here.enhance

This morning I'm going to have a peach tea/coffee break with my neighbor Brenda either on my front porch or inside depending on our mood.  She wanted to get together again before they leave town in the motor coach.  I'm hoping to hear all is well and they are ready to leave soon because they need to be in Canada in July for the Calgary Stampede and their cruise out of Vancouver on Volendam.  Always something exciting going on in their household.

Have a great day everyone! 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Rabbit, Rabbit, white rabbit.

Thanks for our Thursday Daily Rich.

Good collection of days.  The Heimlich maneuver is invaluable for so many  and saying something nice should be done every day 🙂. Dare Day is a U.S. celebration meant to encourage people to break out of their comfort zones, I gather.  I have enough problems with that 😂 

I like today’s quote but I disagree a bit with it.  New beginnings are not always exciting   For some they can be sad and challenging.  JMO.  Love tilapia and looking forward to Debbie’s suggestions.  Tom Collins brings back good memories.  Would certainly be welcome today 😉  We enjoyed Chiapas which I believe is located at Puerto Madero?

IMG_3672.jpeg.fadbfb8be14d35324bdba9b99d825abb.jpeg

Edi @NextOne I am so glad your operation can wait until after your cruise.  that is great news 👏 👏 👏 

yikes Carol @mamaofami the wildlife is attacking you!  Good luck with the birds and squirrels.  There’s nothing you can do about deer - only 2 things work with them - a gun or a fence.  I use the latter as much as possible 😉 

IMG_3676.thumb.jpeg.fb693adc287047da24185d2c24d97ed3.jpeg

Severe heat warnings throughout New Brunswick and Nova Scotia as the fires rage.  One in Nova Scotia near Barrington Lake is the biggest they have ever seen on record and fast moving😔 Bigger than all of the other put together 😔 Hopefully rain comes sooner than later to help with the fight.  Heat doesn’t.

Well, I better get motoring and try to get an early start today with the heat warning.  I’ll see how bad it gets and then take the day from there.  

IMG_3671.jpeg.768f49db4b8fdcd436b46c55cdde7560.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3674.jpeg.654f35218e02e318621e94576a0a45d4.jpeg

Have a great Thursday, everyone !!!!!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Happy June 1!

We had to learn the Heimlich moves for young children when I was teaching (K-1)

Tom Collins cocktail:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Suntory Roku® Gin
1 part Lemon Juice
½ part Simple Syrup
2 parts Club Soda
Garnish: Cherry, Lemon Slice

Instructions
Combine Suntory Roku® Gin, lemon juice and simple syrup in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice, and top with soda. Garnish with a cherry and lemon slice.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 7.08.35 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today the temperatures are supposed to get into the 90’s, I’m expecting DH to complain when the ac gets turned on.  I took yesterday afternoon off from work and Mona and I had a good 90 minute nap. I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and we will have ham tonight.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.aa172b4a4f6a5a1c8ac748705957d3d6.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 13

Rabbit, Rabbit, white rabbit! It's going to be a busy day, but I just wanted to wish all my friends here a Happy June, May it be safe and blessed for all of you!

Got to run, but I'll check back in later. Getting my covid booster today, among other things.

See ya!

• Like 26

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!   

Good morning, everyone!   

It will be another hot one here in mid-Michigan with temps rising into the low 90s.  We found out yesterday that the window air conditioner in the family room doesn't work.  We don't know if it is the air conditioner itself, or the outlet.  The way the house is constructed, the central air for the rest of the house won't reach the family room.  Fortunately, the house does not heat up until late afternoon and cools down nicely in the evenings with the windows opened.  So, that is what we plan to do. 

Today's meal is a nice one.  Remember, if you don't like tilapia, you can always substitute any other mild, white fish.   Our first recipe is for a tilapia with lemon pepper and a spring arugula salad.  https://strengthandsunshine.com/lemon-pepper-tilapia-spring-arugula-salad-garlic-herb-croutons-gluten-free/

springtilapia1.thumb.jpg.ab7551c938c421f786d43ca93927e231.jpg

Nothing is easier than a sheet pan dinner.   Here is one with tilapia, asparagus, and roasted potatoes.  https://www.mashupmom.com/sheet-pan-tilapia-dinner/

springtilapia2.thumb.jpg.db72378d5e3b218064145f01ba23b1fc.jpg

If we're talking about springy type foods, these tilapia pineapple spring rolls fill the bill.  https://www.thekitchn.com/tilapia-and-pineapple-spring-rolls-23396190

springtilapia3.thumb.jpg.eb66700e4de3d729255189bd1a0988be.jpg

I couldn't resist this one with the chili/lime combination and an avocado salsa.  Mmmmmhttps://tasty.co/recipe/chili-lime-baked-tilapia-with-avocado-crema

springtilapia4.jpg.c6c8618357b08e6fde24f3eb948a3f86.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good cool stuff sunny morning. I have not heard from the electric company yet so I guess the shut off is still on. It’s still supposed to be near 90 today and tomorrow. 
   My sweet Ninja is not doing so well and keeps losing weight even though he is on medication.  I think he’s missing Fluff💔🐾

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_1534.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Another hot day expected here.   We ran the lake pump yesterday and I used a hose attached to water what the sprinklers don't reach or super water the Japanese Iris and Astilbe.  We got the wiring for the exterior Starlink done indoors.  Neighbors arrived yesterday.  Lots of walleye fishing in order for them.  They are also going to work on smoothing the washed out road between us.  Maybe a break in the heat on Sunday.  Tomorrow is a trip to Iron Mountain for groceries and home maintenance supplies. 

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  I have used the Heimlich Maneuver on my father and had a colleague save me in a Morton's Steak House in Atlanta.  I would imagine that action saves many thousands of people per month worldwide. Pass on the Tilapia, I would have the Tom Collins with sugar free syrup and I bet the wine is a good one.   Thanks for all the time our member do to research these.  Welcome back @JazzyV.  I am glad your knee is not broken and thank you for resuming the Cares and Celebrations reports.  I hope your cruise and vacation were wonderful.  Prayers for everyone needing them. @superoma I hope you get a good result with the realtor today.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine.  

Some wildflowers blooming in the woods, Nodding Trillium and Star Flower. 

Have a lovely Thursday! Nancy 

IMG_20230531_093856013.jpg

IMG_20230531_093820900.jpg

• Like 33

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cool stuff sunny morning. I have not heard from the electric company yet so I guess the shut off is still on. It’s still supposed to be near 90 today and tomorrow. 
   My sweet Ninja is not doing so well and keeps losing weight even though he is on medication.  I think he’s missing Fluff💔🐾

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_1534.jpeg

I am sorry that Ninja is doing poorly.  When I lost Tiny at age 17 her pal Lydia looked for her for weeks and laid near the stairs where Tiny's bed was.  She never missed a meal though until her thyroid disease and kidney failure got her at age 19. 😿

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for our first June R & D, Rich! A bit cloudy this morning, and we have a possibility of showers. 

A special thank you to Tina & Eva for taking the reins when we needed them! Welcome back Vanessa & Debbie!

Safe travels Bruce & Sue!

Just Zumba, Bindi walks, yard work and perhaps some pool time.  My family is coming to continue my birthday celebration & the 15 year old will appreciate pool time. My pool is holding steady at 87.6! 

IMG_1357.jpeg.e40c3aae3012731d029c7f126ffa93bd.jpeg

IMG_1354.jpeg.36a0161468f27059107203a73953e880.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! @smitty34877 Terry thrilled to read that all went well for DH yesterday!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Dakota Shy Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2019

This Napa Cab sounds lovely, though it is pricey. Critics and consumers enjoy it & it is easy to find! Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $101.98.

Winemaker Notes

#79 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

Powerful, lush and dense in the mouth revealing complex layers of dark fruit, chocolate and cassis that shift toward blackberry and mocha notes balanced by dried herbs and spice. Powerful but also beautifully bright and energetic. Impressive combination of concentration and purity. A dark, silky and seductive foreground layered over polished, elegant structure. Delicious now and sure to unfold new layers of flavor and complexity for decades.

Blend: 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petite Verdot

WS95 Wine Spectator

Rock-solid, with plum, boysenberry and blackberry puree stitched seamlessly with light anise, apple wood and melted black licorice. Shows a suave, polished feel through the finish. Darn tasty.

JS92 James Suckling
Ripe blueberries, blackcurrants, chocolate, tobacco leaves and mocha on the nose. It’s full-bodied with firm, ripe tannins. Plush, flavorful finish. Drink after 2022.
JD92 Jeb Dunnuck

The base 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon checks in as 94% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 2% Petit Verdot that spent 20 months in 70% new French oak. It's certainly worth seeking out. Loads of red and black currants as well as tobacco and spicy oak emerge on the nose, and it's medium to full-bodied, with a round, sexy mouthfeel, ripe tannins, and a great finish. It's happily drink it any time over the coming 10-15 years.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 5