Have it All now Excluded from Honor Bar in Neptune Lounge

This information has been floating around on social media for a few days, so please excuse me if it is posted elsewhere.

Apparently, if you purchased the "Have it All" package you can no longer use it for drinks in the Neptune Lounge. Seems odd to me.

image.png.41042f460e7726896d59d2549bc5a28a.png

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/onboard-packages/beverage-packages.html?fbclid=IwAR3uKN1uwi8yRPZwAsoW3pWW8DCfDUOdLktD0DKYtrUGHddpP5pJlKbQW-Y&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

If it's an honour bar, how would they keep track of the number of drinks?  In my view, it's no different than the mini bar being excluded.  I thought there had to be a Point of Sale machine to keep track of the drinks "purchased".  Perhaps there may have been abuse of the privilege and that's why it's been curtailed?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That's just silly!  They just included them not long ago. The concierges in my experience were well aware of activity around the lounge, and people were good about reporting what was poured. The concierges just made a note of it. I never did pay attention to see if those were included in a daily count. 

• Like 1

Ok, I’m not in Neptune Suites any longer as a solo, but DD DH and I did a number of them.

To me, this is NOT like the mini bar.  It’s a convenience that was supposed to be offered to Neptune Suites.  True, the Neptune Lounge does not have POS for the cards but you sign and it’s not that hard for the concierge to run it through later and check if need be.  And the concierges know bloody well who is getting a drink - there’s no not signing.

The bar was included on the right ships with an SBP or HIA for some time and occasionally you were just not charged 🙂 

Personally if I was still doing Neptune Suites, while we rarely used it, there are times you like to be and that is plain nickel and diming the passengers paying a premium.  

Really disappointing.

• Like 13

The suites are an expensive luxury.  Part of that luxury is the ability to walk down the hall and quickly grab a glass of wine or a cocktail to enjoy while preparing for the evening.  It's quite a dear glass of wine if one pays for it with the price of a suite, plus the HIA, plus the honor bar list price.  

I hope "consistency" works out for them.

• Like 4

I'm new to HAL (first cruise this fall).  I booked Have It All and am in a Neptune suite.  Obviously when I booked the drinks in the Neptune lounge were part of the HIA program.  I'm guessing there's no chance folks who booked it before the change can be 'grandfathered in" so we get what we expected upon booking?

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Apparently, if you purchased the "Have it All" package you can no longer use it for drinks in the Neptune Lounge. Seems odd to me.

I wonder if it actually includes the items in the Neptune Lounge, although it says, "honor bar". At least on the cruise we just returned from two weeks ago, most items in the Neptune were covered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Terribly chintzy.  Those who think HAL has a very weak suite program will have a field day with this one.

And you do not think the criticism is appropriate?

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m confused - I didn’t realize the Neptune suite drinks had ever been a part of HIA? On our cruise in Aug 2022, the paperwork at that time indicated that neither the Neptune Lounge drinks nor the minibar drinks were included in HIA. So not sure if it changed and then reverted back or if this has always been the policy, but just wasn’t being enforced? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ACorgan said:

I’m confused - I didn’t realize the Neptune suite drinks had ever been a part of HIA? On our cruise in Aug 2022, the paperwork at that time indicated that neither the Neptune Lounge drinks nor the minibar drinks were included in HIA. So not sure if it changed and then reverted back or if this has always been the policy, but just wasn’t being enforced? 

We were told that certain items in the Neptune were included. Interesting that it seemed different. 

33 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I wonder if it actually includes the items in the Neptune Lounge, although it says, "honor bar". At least on the cruise we just returned from two weeks ago, most items in the Neptune were covered.

Agree...it doesn't say "Neptune Lounge Honor Bar". Not sure that is what they are trying to say.

• Like 2

That is just plain chintzy on HAL's part!  They are bringing libraries back after the guests loudly protested their demise, so if people let Seattle know their unhappiness in this policy (if it is actually what the written policy meant) AND the lousy $7 appetizer add on in the Pinnacle then hopefully HAL will see their error in judgement!!   People reported that Gus Antorcha on the 150th Anniversary Rotterdam cruise was well aware of the displeasure people have over the $7 upcharge.  I wonder if they care.

~Nancy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oakridger said:

That is just plain chintzy on HAL's part!  They are bringing libraries back after the guests loudly protested their demise, so if people let Seattle know their unhappiness in this policy (if it is actually what the written policy meant) AND the lousy $7 appetizer add on in the Pinnacle then hopefully HAL will see their error in judgement!!   People reported that Gus Antorcha on the 150th Anniversary Rotterdam cruise was well aware of the displeasure people have over the $7 upcharge.  I wonder if they care.

~Nancy

Well someone has to pay for all the free cruises they give away like candy 🤪.

It’s cheap as heck not to have free drinks as part of the Neptune perks at least part of the day.

• Like 1

From my research, I had thought all bottles or cans in the Neptune Bar were on the "honor" system.  Just like the HIA drink count, this was another ding I had against HAL vs Princess, as both of their elevated suite perks are mostly similar.  However, we were not charged for any beer, wine, or soda we took from the Concierge Lounge during our last Discovery cruise, with the full knowledge and blessing of the Concierge.  

1 hour ago, ACorgan said:

Post-pandemic and when HIA was pretty new, there was confusion.  Suite guests with HIA balked at paying for drinks in the Neptune Lounge, the charges were removed, and then it became policy that those with HIA did not have to pay for Honor Bar drinks.  Apparently there has been a reversal on that.  Or maybe not.  I guess we better wait to hear what's actually happening on the ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another comment...

I don't view the Neptune Lounge honor bar as in any way the same as the mini bars in other staterooms.  The Neptune Lounge is a place where one can chat and socialize with other guests -- as one would do in a cocktail lounge.  That it can function without a bar tender doesn't mean it's not a cocktail lounge.  "Neptune Lounge."

• Like 2

It's possible the Neptune Lounge doesn't have the POS system that the bars and restaurants have to properly enter and track the drinks! Or it's possible pax were pouring double and triple shots and putting themselves down for one drink. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Laminator said:

It's possible the Neptune Lounge doesn't have the POS system that the bars and restaurants have to properly enter and track the drinks! Or it's possible pax were pouring double and triple shots and putting themselves down for one drink. 

Are they though?  I know people love to rationalize Hal’s behaviour.  If you are drinking triples and marking them down that seems like a pretty shady person.  The concierge is in their most of the time.  Don’t you think they would see that? 

On our cruise in May the "bar" in the Neptune Lounge was little more than some bottles of liquor and wine placed in coolers with those terrible sliding doors.  The honour sheet was clearly placed near the Concierge desk.  My thoughts only - I found the whole set up quite tacky and not at all what I would expect for a suite experience.

We only grabbed a couple of sodas from the NL.  Those were only on display once and the second time we wanted one we had to request it.  We weren't charged for it and we had HIA.

Personally, I think HAL should consider ending this practice and bring in a complimentary cocktail hour for NS and above guests.  It should be a private event held at one the bars with hot and cold appetizers.  While not particularly important to us, I think having officers attending and socializing would elevate the experience for many.

Edited by cbr663
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Well someone has to pay for all the free cruises they give away like candy 🤪.

Do you really think that, as cheap as HAL is on perks etc., that they would be giving away "free" cruises if they weren't making a profit on them? That doesn't make any sense.

• Like 5