Cabin service: Changed to once a day on RCI ?

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I did, I didn't WANT them in my room twice a day, it was a pain. Come in, make the bed and give a wipe down. I don't see a need for twice a day at all. 

Ditto.

I am delighted with the once-a-day service.  It seemed like we were constantly dodging the attendant who was always trying to get into our room for some reason.  Towels once a day, make the bed and empty the trash.  Check to make sure I have enough toilet paper.  Goodbye.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

- I have one bathroom that I use and it's not that large ... gets as dirty (or stays as clean) as a cruise ship bathroom.

- You can ask for extra towels.

- I don't eat in my cabin.

- I don't fill up the trash can every day.

Lol we are a family of 7 with 1 1/2 baths, the full bathroom could not be any smaller. At least on a cruise we have 2 cabins so 2 full baths. Our bathroom garbage cans are very small.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Do you realize how wasteful this was? Why would you NEED new towels and wash rags multiple times a day. That's insane. I hang my towels for at least 2 days- on my last cruise, when they were still coming twice a day, I only had towels replaced 3 times in a 7 day cruise. I can't justify throwing a towel on the floor after one use. 

This was 4 Decades ago when they and every Hotel changed Sheets, Towels Daily. As said they had to strip the Beds Daily to convert them back to Couches. Only reason Royal started their Environmental programs was not that they cared. Originally they were busted for Illegally dumping Photo Chemicals doing this with hidden pipes leading direct to the Ocean. They were caught, Twice! That and not replacing sheets/Towels saves them money with a touch of publicity. That said yes I might use a Towel second time onboard but never a washcloth ever, yuck!

• Like 3

What time is AM schedule?  I prefer morning, but my wife likes to sleep in on sea days and doesn't usually leave cabin until 11 or so.

Edited by slyster
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, slyster said:

What time is AM schedule?  I prefer morning, but my wife likes to sleep in on sea days and doesn't usually leave cabin until 11 or so.

You can ask them to do it toward the end of their "morning" shift. I never had a problem but since have switched to evening cleaning since sometimes I just don't feel like going out and about but still want ice and dry towels once a day. I am one of those who really uses my balcony cabin.

On 6/24/2023 at 1:50 AM, joeyancho said:

You can ask your steward for ideas on how to handle the situation.  Our steward,  on our last cruise said he would come twice daily if we wanted.  We said no, just ice.  We always had fresh ice. 

I don't mind cabin service just once a day, but would like ice morning and evening. You were able to get that?

• 8 months later...

I realize that I’m bumping up an old thread, but I did a search on “turndown service” and this thread showed up. I didn’t want to start a new thread.

Anyway, if I’m reading these posts correctly, there isn’t turndown service anymore?  That’s a bummer. 

And it’s not a matter of “can’t you just pull down your own bed?” It’s about the amenities that were always nice to come back to before bed. 

So… no more chocolates? I couldn’t care less about towel animals. 

Oh, and for the person that asked if hotels offer twice cleaning/turndown service.. Yes, yes they do. 😀

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SeaSprayTB said:

I realize that I’m bumping up an old thread, but I did a search on “turndown service” and this thread showed up. I didn’t want to start a new thread.

Anyway, if I’m reading these posts correctly, there isn’t turndown service anymore?  That’s a bummer. 

And it’s not a matter of “can’t you just pull down your own bed?” It’s about the amenities that were always nice to come back to before bed. 

So… no more chocolates? I couldn’t care less about towel animals. 

Oh, and for the person that asked if hotels offer twice cleaning/turndown service.. Yes, yes they do. 😀

You can have turn down service if you want, just tell your stateroom attendant that you want evening service instead of morning service; unless you are in a suite you only get one or the other.

Chocolates have been gone for nearly a decade, I would guess.

I have several dozen hotel nights a year due to business travel, and haven't had daily service for years; it is usually every 2-3 days, or upon request.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

Since we did the Quantum last June we did a 12 day Regal Princess, 14 day Sky Princess, and a 7 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. All of these cruises offered twice a day service. The daily service fees were the same for all cruises. Bottom line Royal Caribbean provides less service for the same charge. 

Holland America does give you the option to decline turn down service if you don't want it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilot said:

Since we did the Quantum last June we did a 12 day Regal Princess, 14 day Sky Princess, and a 7 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. All of these cruises offered twice a day service. The daily service fees were the same for all cruises. Bottom line Royal Caribbean provides less service for the same charge. 

Holland America does give you the option to decline turn down service if you don't want it. 

Carnival and NCL are also once a day now.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, smokeybandit said:

OK, does your hotel room get cleaned twice a day when you're on vacation somewhere other than a cruise?

Yes, in fact that does happen quite consistently in the upper echelon hotels that we stay in worldwide.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 9:34 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Here's my solution... don't like what a company is providing you?  Vote with your wallet.  

That might make sense if cabin service were the ONLY measure of a cruise; in reality, so many factors play into our choice:  port locations, prices, cabins, itineraries, entertainment, onboard activities, food ... it's not fair to say, "Don't like this one thing?  Quite the whole product."  

On 6/24/2023 at 10:20 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I don’t think the second visit was actually a cleaning. It was more of a turndown service and replacing of the towels.

And emptying of the trash cans. 

Yes, one cleaning + a "refresh" at bedtime is great ... we don't need a second full-fledged cleaning.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, packedandready said:

I don't mind cabin service just once a day, but would like ice morning and evening. You were able to get that?

It's easier to get your own ice from the buffet.  Bring a big insulated cup.  

2 hours ago, pilot said:

Did they lower tips when they cut service 50%?

That's my biggest complaint:  They cut the service AND increased the price ... that's just bad practice. 

I'll die on this hill. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kmorg1234 said:

Yes, in fact that does happen quite consistently in the upper echelon hotels that we stay in worldwide.

Well it's the same on a ship- you'll get it twice a day in the "upper echelon" rooms or cruise lines. But the basic rooms get it once a day, and that's more than enough for most people. Most average hotels are not even doing that and have signs asking you to call them if you want service if you are only there for a few days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

You speak for most people?

Yep. Well I speak for most non-needy or messy people. I have no idea what reason there is to have someone come in your room twice a day, I hated when they came in twice, Last cruise we even told her she could skip a day or two because we didn't need anything.  Unless you make a lot of trash, or you find it necessary to have your floor vacuumed twice a day, I can't think of why they need to be in your room twice. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yep. Well I speak for most non-needy or messy people. I have no idea what reason there is to have someone come in your room twice a day, I hated when they came in twice, Last cruise we even told her she could skip a day or two because we didn't need anything.  Unless you make a lot of trash, or you find it necessary to have your floor vacuumed twice a day, I can't think of why they need to be in your room twice. 

Maybe get a grip and understand that you speak for you and no one else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Using up a freebie certificate on Wonder last month, it was a balcony cabin (we usually book suites).   First time with "once a day cleaning".   I picked evening cleaning.  I kind of enjoyed not having to dance around the time the attendant was in there in the morning again. 😉  

I simply asked for extra wash and hand towels when needed (which was almost everyday) so it fit us just fine since we are neat and tidy anyway.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

It's not about need.

Most people probably don't need the rock climbing wall but for those that want it, it's nice to have. Most people probably don't need the FlowRider but for those that want it, it's nice to have. Most people probably don't need hot tubs but for those that want them, they are nice to have.

There are many things on a cruise that only some people use, but that does not mean that they should be removed. They are all part of the cruising experience. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yep. Well I speak for most non-needy or messy people ... 

I'm neither needy nor messy, but you're not speaking for me.  I like having a cleaning in the morning -- the bed made, the bathroom refreshed, fresh towels, and the trash emptied.  Then again, the room "refreshed" and evening-ready after dinner.  

It's something that makes vacation more special, and it's the level of service we've come to appreciate on cruises.  

I could accept lesser service, were it not accompanied by higher prices!  

• Like 5