The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 13th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Under happy events, for me yesterday it was when talking with DD and she said I'll send you a picture of Sadie and Milo - they went to the groomer today and are so darn cute!  Well, I have to agree!  They do look adorable in this photo.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJTdzhDjXvRdSLAeVhIAUSpUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1689208971

Milo is on the left.  He is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 13 pounds.  Sadie on the right is 15 1/2 months old and weighs 17 pounds.  Milo is nearly as tall as she is, DD says.  They are half brother and sister and their breed is cavapoo.

And that is my good news photo of the day.  Makes ME smile at least.

They are both gorgeous Sandi.

They make me smile too.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning to All!

Thanks for the info.  Days are interesting, as well as the food and drinks.  Never been to the South Pacific and the quote gave me a chuckle.

Quick note today.  Off to the gym and then the dentist.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  BAck to therapy this morning.  I am supposed to do some of the exercises at home, but I never seem to find time....and then I wake up, and a new pain has decided to arrive.  And each time I go for the second appointment , I end up with a different therapist who adds more to what I need to do.  I wish that my early week therapist worked at that location for more than 2 days a week.

@kazuI am sorry that both you and Ivan are going through a rough patch.  I hope you both are doing better today.

I need to finish up all my planning and paying for my Rome to home trip.  DH is still pondering going to see his Mom.  Momma Norma is back home, but for some reason the brother thinks DH should wait til Mom's next batch of medical disaster, but when Chuck starts the chemo treatment, he wont be able to go anywhere for 30 days.  My family was dysfunctional, but his family has more members, and they all live in a Fools Paradise. @grapau27 Thanks for that information. but @kochleffelsets us straight on the reality.

244050-Its-Thursday-Give-Me-Coffee.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Happy Thursday!  It's cool, but humid here, with warmer temps coming later today and tomorrow.  It's Harley Fest here this weekend...their 120th anniversary.  We'll see lots of them around this weekend, lots of parties planned around the area!  I'm sure we'll hear a lot of rumbling the next few days.  The meal sounds good today, but I've never made salmon burgers.  We've never been to the Polynesian Islands, but we did visit the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii several years ago, does that count?  Ha!  @grapau27Fools Paradise Day sounds interesting, maybe we can all leave our troubles behind us today.  Prayers and cheers for all who need them, have a great day.  karen  

• Like 23

@marshhawkI am so sorry that you get a different PT every time.And the left/right problem is ridiculous. Are there better practices around? DD searched high and low for a good PT after two spinal surgeries.It is a waste of your time and money unless you get someone with real manual therapy skills. I hesitated to say anything but it just made me mad when I read your post last night.

@kazu, Sorry to hear both you and Ivan were not  well yesterday.I hope today is better.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, I loved the dog pictures.They are adorable. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is a beautiful morning here in mid-Michigan.  We have abundant sunshine and moderate temperatures.   I'm hoping the pollen situation gets better as my eyes have been a mess!  Eye drops help.  Maybe a few sea days later this month will take care of that!  

@smitty34877 I hear you on getting out of the pool.  It feels like you are carrying a ton of weight when you try to climb out.  After my hip operation, I could not use the "steps" that are built into the wall of the pool to save me.  And, I had to have a railing to use the normal steps.  

@StLouisCruisers the puppies are adorable.  It almost made me want one. 

Today's meal doesn't fit the quote of the day as it would be too healthy.  I've never had a salmon burger, but I've seen them in the meat case at the grocery store.  They might be worth a try.  I have had tuna burgers and they are kind of along the same idea.  Here's a healthy version with slaw instead of a bun.   https://pinchofyum.com/yummy-salmon-burgers-slaw

salmonburgers5.thumb.jpg.d658a2ed857869da72a3316aafe7c736.jpg

Here's a recipe from The Food Network.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/perfect-salmon-burgers-recipe-2105786

salmonburgers1.thumb.jpeg.975719081f749e211540a6be179bd433.jpeg

This next recipe uses no breadcrumbs.  Too often fish cakes, crab cakes, and the like are too full of breadcrumbs and lacking the main ingredient.  https://www.wellplated.com/salmon-burgers/

salmonburgers3.thumb.jpg.493facb51dae5ce8c52bba910bf16c5d.jpg

And this one sounds delicious.  It is seasoned with Old Bay and topped with Havarti, caramelized onions, and avocado.  Mmmmmm  https://themodernproper.com/salmon-burgers

salmonburgers4.thumb.jpg.4c307af6785df01773db1f3eadd3c5fe.jpg

I hope one of these stands out to you!    Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good morning from a sunny and windy central Texas.  I got my walk in while it was still 81F which wasn't bad, just a little humid.  Right now it is 82F and feels like 92F with a predicted high of 105F.  After DH's dentist appointment this morning, I plan to stay inside until we take our golf cart ride a lot later this evening. 

I like the harmony of a good Barbershop Quartet, but in small doses.  I'm not sure about embracing my geekness and I don't think I'm living in a Fool's Paradise.

Sometimes I think the Robert Orben quote is true.  😉

I think we'll pass on the meal and the drink.  I would like to try the wine, but I'm not fond of the price.

We have been to Moorea many times beginning in 1996 with a cruise on Wind Song.  That was the first time we met Captain Tim Roberts who was a junior officer then.  We did not realize we'd met him until we were on the Prinsendam in 2016 and were talking to him about our Wind Song cruise.

Captain James Cook discovered a lot of new territory in his voyages.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry you and Ivan were not feeling good yesterday.  I hope you both have a much better day today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for you pictures of Moorea and or Sadie and Milo.  Two very cute dogs.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad yesterday was a good day for all, and that Lou enjoyed being with all the family.

@marshhawk  Annie, I agree with Terry, @smitty34877 about checking out more therapists.  Sometimes it's better to follow your instincts and not listen to family about travels.  If Chuck feels strongly he should go see his mother before he starts chemo, then, my two cents worth, is he should go.  What is to say his brother won't say don't come after the next incident.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you get some relief from your allergies and especially your eyes soon.

356640448_683813657120390_1631109854336859243_n.thumb.jpg.fd6ac7f20cb5cb889d644ec14d6da604.jpg

357112332_6279642418798245_3552042173229308020_n.thumb.jpg.ac9608539da0e6afaa4517ee030719a4.jpg

347416439_756807526452218_4524078056023698872_n.jpg.b06fdcc74487b82a0b507ef78afd5c19.jpg

347434171_756322859834018_6635437842585521345_n.jpg.563bebb2b6486beec3d7059a5d4df7cc.jpg

349006043_150679804655569_2490758439337216660_n.jpg.a337498db2f057f889e707ff7071bc6d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Not a fan of barbershop music, but know others are.  I often wish I had some geek genes, especially when DH wants to fix the computer with an axe.  I don't normally live in a fool's paradise, except when I buy a lottery ticket . . .

A cool and cloudy morning out there today, although all the weather apps on my phone say it's sunny. . .I beg to differ.   We are going to get up to a high of +27 (80), so it will be a pleasant day and I likely won't need to get the A/C working.  Today I'm going to measure the papyrus - I've been keeping track of their growth to see how tall they get this year - and may add some fertilizer to help keep them going skyward.

@kazu I'm sorry to hear both you and Ivan had a difficult day yesterday; hopefully today will find the two of you better.

@marshhawk sounds like you may have gotten a dyslexic PT person - working on the wrong side... yikes!  I concur with most of the others that your DH should go visit his mom before he starts his chemo - it makes the most sense to me, despite what his brother says. 

@kochleffelI think I'd just hang around late at night singing Kumbaya to bug them!  LOL 

Not a lot on the agenda today; we were supposed to go over to friends for drinks and appies, but they had an elderly uncle suddenly pass away, so that's been postponed.  I think I'll take the time to sort out the blankets (I've made more than 20 this time) for children going into foster care, and the kitty blankets (last count there were close to 50), bag them all up and take them to the drop off location.  Time to reclaim part of our spare room!  

I'd like to try the drink of the day if someone made it for me, as I sure don't have the ingredients for it.  The wine - again, if someone offered it to me, I'd love a small glass.  I haven't had salmon burgers in ages - we used to buy them at the big box store, but haven't done so for I don't recall how long.  I think once I've dropped off the blankets, we'll make a trek over there and pick up a box so DH can toss a couple on the barbecue.  Salmon burgers with a creamy cucumber salad will make a nice light dinner that we can enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

We have been to Moorea five times on Wind Star, Princess and HAL.  Most of our pictures are from prehistoric times before digital cameras, but I did find a few.

In 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam, Moorea was not a port.  We took the ferry from Papeete to Moorea, and rented a car.  In fact, we've rented cars there every time except 2007.  That time we took a taxi to the Intercontinental Hotel to snorkel.  The reef comes very close to the shore there, and the colors of the fish and coral are outstanding.  Sadly, the hotel was permanently closed last year.

These first pictures were taken in 2007 at the hotel.

IMG_1467.thumb.JPG.e803361b1af7059aac346117586191f4.JPG

IMG_1475.thumb.JPG.7e847884542d15033f5dd6f5b35540a2.JPG

IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.656b2f289edaf1fe96e034500a68f61a.JPG

These were from our drive around the island in 2002.

IMG_2226.thumb.JPG.a3bdde623a3d14a60d8d407ae10041ca.JPG

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.79387467f5607a95e13054bba4ab6320.JPG

IMG_2230.thumb.JPG.9e481841e0cfa5aecd5b88c63e7c70de.JPG

We stopped at a park where a tour was watching a feast being prepared.

IMG_2233.thumb.JPG.614afda3477045daa2c5b90dcf32c01b.JPG

IMG_2234.thumb.JPG.1ee9a9109136d9022170f03de5816036.JPG

A young man carrying on an ancient craft.

IMG_2236.thumb.JPG.bd2a0fb2351aa76ee456dbeaec4caa9c.JPG

Moorea is our second favorite port after Bora Bora.  The night in Moorea on Wind Song, dinner was a barbecue on deck complete with a roasted suckling pig.

In 1996, on the Wind Song, anytime the pilot was not on one the bridge, passengers could walk into the bridge.  One evening, probably in Bora Bora, we did and started talking to the young deck officer.  He even took us out on the bridge wing and pointed out the Southern Cross and other constellations.

Fast forward to 2016 on the Prinsendam and a talk with Captain Tim Roberts.  In 1996 he was a young officer on Wind Song.  We all decided it was probably Captain Tim who was the young office we talked with 21 years earlier.

It really is a small world.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

The first time we were in Moorea, I got my black pearl enhancer.  When we were back there a year later, I was lucky enough to find a pair of earrings to match the pearl.

DH found his videos and stills taken in 2007 when we were snorkeling off the beach at the Intercontinental Hotel.  Some of these pictures are stills and some are screenshots of the videos.  It is easy to see how shallow the water was.

SANY0015.thumb.JPG.394cb3a476b29a98acf9b6b4ff361bd3.JPGSANY0020.thumb.JPG.1e5b4e5306394f1574ed6929944695eb.JPGSANY0031.thumb.JPG.26997e47aadbfb1f95f3c48be03dbd2d.JPG

175405218_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.d6be36f51bec649e74f658a14b2d15a9.png1296273071_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.ad1e2225e0bd20aef4a378bbd87d2546.png

This is the hotel looking from the reef.

SANY0006.thumb.JPG.9de718e318a16876facd4d88b8db6f5d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon everyone.

Thank you to Rich et al for the Daily and Fleet Report and all other contributions.

I am just checking in. Not sure I can read all the posts in one session.  It appears I have between 5 to 10 minutes per session before I get kicked off the internet.  Don’t know what is going on and can’t find anyone to help.

Prayers for all, especially those who have lost loved ones, and those who are ill or who have loved ones who are ill.

I slept poorly last night.  Had every intention of getting off the ship today in Gothenburg, Sweden.  We arrived at 10 am.  I said I would take a short nap after breakfast and then go out.  DH didn’t want to.   I woke up at 2:30 pm.  Needless to say I needed to sleep more than go to shore.  

Oh well!

Take care everyone,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The first time we were in Moorea, I got my black pearl enhancer.  When we were back there a year later, I was lucky enough to find a pair of earrings to match the pearl.

DH found his videos and stills taken in 2007 when we were snorkeling off the beach at the Intercontinental Hotel.  Some of these pictures are stills and some are screenshots of the videos.  It is easy to see how shallow the water was.

SANY0015.thumb.JPG.394cb3a476b29a98acf9b6b4ff361bd3.JPGSANY0020.thumb.JPG.1e5b4e5306394f1574ed6929944695eb.JPGSANY0031.thumb.JPG.26997e47aadbfb1f95f3c48be03dbd2d.JPG

175405218_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.d6be36f51bec649e74f658a14b2d15a9.png1296273071_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.ad1e2225e0bd20aef4a378bbd87d2546.png

This is the hotel looking from the reef.

SANY0006.thumb.JPG.9de718e318a16876facd4d88b8db6f5d.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I'm not a big fan of Barbershop music but it's ok in small doses.  I'm definitely not a geek, but our DS is, and DD is to a smaller degree.  Don't think I live in a fool's paradise.  Funny quote!  We'll be in Moorea on the Grand Australia and have a private tour planned.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos.  

I'll pass on the drink and wine, but have printed out the first recipe and will make it later in the week.  Tonight we're having tacos and DH will be working the following 2 days so that means no big meal planning.  Maybe we'll have the salmon on Sunday.

As I thought, I'm still aching all over from my work in the "jungle" behind our house.  Thankfully it's cool enough here and I can have a heating pad on my back.  Our high today will just get to the low 70's, but it will heat up to the high 70's this weekend.  

@kazu Jacqui I'm sorry you and Ivan both felt unwell yesterday. I hope today will be better for both of you.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi thank you for sharing the photos of your darling grand-pups.  Very cute!

@marshhawk Annie I agree with others and hope your DH goes to visit his DM now.  When my DM wasn't doing well and was on hospice, the hospice nurse told me nothing would happen soon.  So I didn't go up to see her that day -- then I was sorry I didn't go, of course, and she passed before I could see her.  His chemo treatments complicate things further too.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Barbershop music is ok. I embrace my geekiness! I'll pass on Fool's Paradise Day. Funny quote. Pass on the meal (fish), maybe to the drink, and the wine sounds good but is too expensive for me. I'll salute Captain Cook. I haven't been to Moorea Island. 

Another hot day, with possible severe storms this evening. When I went to put out the trash last night, I realized it was a bit cooler with a nice breeze. So I decided to mow; I usually don't like dusk due to mosquitos (who love me), but I put on repellant and did it. I had to stop halfway through due to my back, and take a short sit/hydration break. When I finished my hair was dripping wet from the humidity, but I got it done! So I'll relax today. 

I don't know what's going on here; shootings every day. Over the weekend, a 14-year old and a 15-year old were shot and killed. And the shooters were fellow teenagers. Something has to change.

@kazu I hope you feel better today, and Ivan too. 

@StLouisCruisers Prayers for Amy on this sad anniversary. Thanks for the Moorea photos. Sadie and Milo are so cute!

@smitty34877 I'm glad Lou enjoyed himself, despite it tiring him out. Woohoo on the new hip functioning so well.

@marshhawk It is tough that your therapist is always changing. Mine is going on vacation on Friday, but the replacement is someone I had the first week. I think they're both good. I only go twice a week, and do try to do the home stuff, as I want this to work. Good to hear that Chuck's DM is home from the hospital. And my 2 cents is that he should go to visit her before his chemo.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos, thanks.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

DH is still pondering going to see his Mom.  Momma Norma is back home, but for some reason the brother thinks DH should wait til Mom's next batch of medical disaster, but when Chuck starts the chemo treatment, he wont be able to go anywhere for 30 days. 

My two cents worth (and you know what a penny is worth in Canada 😉) Chuck should go see him Mom now.  You never know when it could be the last visit.

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And that is my good news photo of the day.  Makes ME smile at least.

Your photo made me smile too 🙂

5 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

We caught fish yesterday and had a walleye dinner.  We have been catching a lot of toothy and stinky Northern Pike this year. 

Yum on the walleye 👍. You are doing very well with your fishing!

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday we totally exhausted Lou but he was happy to have the family except for Tana all around.

Sounds like good exhaustion for Lou 🙂 

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We will see what the NH family are doing later today. 

My new hip and I went into the swimming pool easily but getting out was interesting. I was able to come to standing after ascending the steps with no rail and did not ask for help.My daughter in law was hovering nearby which I appreciated.

Sticking my nose in where it doesn’t belong but may I suggest you install a rail?  Safer.  And it will make things easier for you I hope 🤞 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

It's great so many enjoyed the photo of the granddogs and even smiled along with me.  I find it hard to believe Sadie started out in this world a redhead and is now so blond!  And no, her hairdresser (groomer) is not dying her hair!😂

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

@marshhawk Add me to the list that says Chuck should go visit his mom.  You never regret visiting Mom and most moms would love the visit.  He may have tons of future visits, but this one is still important to a mom.

Also, yes, shop around on the therapists.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'm applying to a graduate certificate program at what used to be Hartford Seminary, and they wanted transcripts. The two private institutions I've attended charged $9 and $10, and will take a while because when I attended in the last century everything was on paper. Enormous State University, which I also attended in the last century, sent it instantly at no charge.

• Like 11