Koningsdam: OK to head down to spa in provided bathrobe? Appropriate footwear?

Pbranson

I was upgraded to a Verandah spa stateroom which is just upstairs from the main spa area. Is it appropriate to come down for the sauna and such in our bathing suits with our HAL-provided robe over top?

Also, do they provide waterproof spa sandals or are people going around barefoot or in flip flops or such that they brought from home.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pbranson said:

I was upgraded to a Verandah spa stateroom which is just upstairs from the main spa area. Is it appropriate to come down for the sauna and such in our bathing suits with our HAL-provided robe over top?

Also, do they provide waterproof spa sandals or are people going around barefoot or in flip flops or such that they brought from home.

Thanks.

On HAL - we've seen people in the Lido in their bathrobe ...😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Pbranson said:

Thanks.

I usually wear a beach/pool coverup over my swimsuit. When you check in at the spa, you get a locker key, and there will be a robe and a pair of waterproof spa sandals in there. So you don't need your robe from the room. I wear my own flipflops because I like them better than the spa shoes.

If you come out of the spa pool and put on your room robe, then it will get wet. Better to use the one they lend you at the spa. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I usually wear a beach/pool coverup over my swimsuit. When you check in at the spa, you get a locker key, and there will be a robe and a pair of waterproof spa sandals in there. So you don't need your robe from the room. I wear my own flipflops because I like them better than the spa shoes.

If you come out of the spa pool and put on your room robe, then it will get wet. Better to use the one they lend you at the spa. 

I so agree with you.  When I used the hydrotherapy pool, I was fully dressed and took my bathing suit.  Why?  Because I wanted to shower after.  Easier there and then get dressed for me.  All I had to do in my stateroom was dry my hair and I could carry on.  there’s lots of robes and towels at the spa.

• Like 4

The robes provided in your cabin are intended for in-cabin use, but no one will stop you from using it ship-wide.

The Spa robes don’t fit me, so I bring my own spa robe from home, since I use the spa almost daily.  It just so happens my home robe is almost identical to the in-room robes.

I wouldn’t overthink it. No one cares unless you’re barefoot (not allowed anywhere but inside the pool areas), or shirtless/wearing swimwear in dining venues. You’ll see it all.

• Like 3

One time this past sailing last week, the robe provided by the spa was the same kind as the in-room robes, much more comfortable. I kept it and brought it in my provided HAL day bag to my next spa outing.  Like some of you, I actually prefer to shower in the spa rather than in my cabin bathroom, after a nice relaxing session in the thermal suite. I don't wear the bathrobe from my cabin to the spa, but I've seen some passengers do that. It doesn't bother me, however. If anything, a person wearing a bathrobe to the lido after a spa session is likely to be cleaner than someone who just did a long shore excursion and came straight to the lido buffet line.

• Like 1

Once saw an Asian gentleman show up at the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in just  his pajamas. This might be perfectly okay in his home country, but it was a surprise for most of the rest us. 

That said, I wear a beach cover-up over my bathing suit to go to the spa and wear my own sandals. Using their robe instead of your cabin robe,  after getting out of the thermal spa,  is good advice.

Don't forget to take your soap and/or shampoo back to your cabin, if you bring your own and use the spa dressing room showers. I forgot, and left both in the spa shower.  (Just like home) 

• Like 1

Welcome to CC, Pbranson!

Recently on a luxury line, a passenger reported on CC that there was a woman who repeatedly sat in the main lounge/coffee area and worked on a jigsaw puzzle, while wearing her ship robe and slippers.  My initial impulse was to think that this is inappropriate, but when I think about it, since robes are kind of like coats, some people (myself included) look better in full coverage high quality ship robes that hide everything, than they do wearing official 'cover-ups' or shorts. 

We humans are funny with our customs and practices, however, so I personally still toss on some clothes when I walk around even if it is short distances. But I have no problem with other people wearing robes to and from the spa or pool, I don't think most pax care one way or the other, and there aren't any prohibitory rules.  Plus, based on your picture, you'll probably look fabulous anyway. 🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I so agree with you.  When I used the hydrotherapy pool, I was fully dressed and took my bathing suit.  Why?  Because I wanted to shower after.  Easier there and then get dressed for me.  All I had to do in my stateroom was dry my hair and I could carry on.  there’s lots of robes and towels at the spa.

My coverup looks like a casual dress, so I can shower at the spa and wear the coverup back to my cabin. I do wish HAL would put a swimsuit spinner in the locker/shower room. On one cruise, can't remember the ship, maybe Queen Elizabeth, the cabin shower was smaller than the spa shower, so I used the spa shower almost every day. I think my steward was wondering if I ever bathed!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buck Turgidson said:

I've seen an occasional person in the Lido in a robe as well, It reminded me of the Dude getting a carton of milk at Ralph's mkt 

I once saw a man in the Lido who I wish had been wearing a robe. He came in from the Sea View Pool wearing a Speedo---and nothing else. His gut was about the size of Octomom just before she gave birth.
He walked the full length of the Lido, giving me an appetite curbing view the entire time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I once saw a man in the Lido who I wish had been wearing a robe. He came in from the Sea View Pool wearing a Speedo---and nothing else. His gut was about the size of Octomom just before she gave birth.
He walked the full length of the Lido, giving me an appetite curbing view the entire time. 

Isn't there supposed to be a Speedoman on every cruise????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have some courtesy for your fellow guests - nobody wants to see you traipsing around in a robe…

I am six foot four, 190 pounds, not exactly morbidly obese - and my robe barely fit me. I did not need to subject my fellow passengers to that.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigMattT said:

...The Spa robes don’t fit me, so I bring my own spa robe from home, since I use the spa almost daily.  It just so happens my home robe is almost identical to the in-room robes...

Hey @BigMattT you can ask your cabin steward for a XXXL robe; if they can't find one, you can also ask at the spa. You can use it for the duration of the cruise, so no need to return it & get a new one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Once saw an Asian gentleman show up at the Neptune Lounge for breakfast in just  his pajamas. This might be perfectly okay in his home country, but it was a surprise for most of the rest us. 

That said, I wear a beach cover-up over my bathing suit to go to the spa and wear my own sandals. Using their robe instead of your cabin robe,  after getting out of the thermal spa,  is good advice.

Don't forget to take your soap and/or shampoo back to your cabin, if you bring your own and use the spa dressing room showers. I forgot, and left both in the spa shower.  (Just like home) 

I assume that if you don't bring your own they provide soap/shampoo in the spa showers?  And a related question - are washcloths provided In your cabin and are they provided in the spa?

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I assume that if you don't bring your own they provide soap/shampoo in the spa showers?  And a related question - are washcloths provided In your cabin and are they provided in the spa?

They do provide the same ship's soap/shampoo products in the spa showers.

I just like my own favorites, so I carried them along.

I believe there was only a rolled up towel in the locker, but good question to ask one of the attendants about getting a  wash cloth. 

• Thanks 1

Aboard the Rotterdam in Norway now. It’s our first HAL cruise, we usually go on Celebrity. The number of passengers walking around in their robes was a big shock, but at this point I’m used to it. Is it a European thing or a HAL thing? I’ve never seen this on Celebrity. 

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @BigMattT you can ask your cabin steward for a XXXL robe; if they can't find one, you can also ask at the spa. You can use it for the duration of the cruise, so no need to return it & get a new one.

Thanks, I’m aware of that. That wouldn’t fit me either. HAL does not carry robes in my size.

I carry my own robe and sandals in my bag to and from the spa unless I’m in a Spa cabin. In a spa cabin, I wear my robe over my bathing suit to walk from cabin to spa, as I don’t need to pass through any other guest areas which might have other attire requirements (or customs).

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

His gut was about the size of Octomom just before she gave birth.

I’m sorry he didn’t follow the rules requiring proper attire in the lido.

Despite that, I make an effort not to make comments about the size of people’s body parts. After all, I wouldn’t want someone reading my comment to wrongly interpret I was denigrating them for how they looked.

• Like 2