Panama Canal partial transit itinerary change

BLH613

We had a feeling it was coming but today (coincidentally while onboard Koningsdam) we received an email from HAL canceling our Gatun Lake excursion due to an itinerary change as the call to Gatun Lake has been canceled. Oddly the booking on the website still shows the lake so i’m curious to see what the replacement might be 

Dear Guest, 

Thank you for booking your upcoming voyage and shore excursions with Holland America Line. Due to a recent itinerary change, the Rotterdam's call to Gatun Lake on March 24, 2024 has been cancelled. We have refunded your prepaid shore excursion….”

A bit disappointed but understand the reasoning. We will in all likelihood cancel the cruise as the canal was our main interest. Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to try again soon or book a full transit which seems to have less chance of cancellation. 

• Thanks 1

We're on the Rotterdam for the January 14-26 12-Day Panama Canal Sunfarer. No email or changes to our itinerary yet but if they've changed yours I imagine we will be in the same situation. Did they mention anything about an alternative cruise stop in lieu of the Canal cancellation?

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Why is it a possibility?  Surely that is the main focus of a Partial transit

Water levels in the Lake Gatun watershed are extremely low and they have severely reduced traffic on the canal.  If we go through the locks that leaves less water available for extremely important  commercial traffic and aggravates supply chain issues including essentials like fuel supplies.

More important than a scenic day.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Water levels in the Lake Gatun watershed are extremely low and they have severely reduced traffic on the canal.  If we go through the locks that leaves less water available for extremely important  commercial traffic and aggravates supply chain issues including essentials like fuel supplies.

Roy

I would feel then that a substantial fare reduction is warranted.  Is not the cost of going through the locks a substantial part of the fare?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

What date?  I'm on for November 12-24 and was thinking this might be a possibility.

Roy

We are booked on the 3/17/24 departure. The itinerary hasn’t changed yet on the website booking but the email states the call to Gatun Lake on 3/24 has been canceled.  I’m still waiting to see what the replacement might be and if there is a significant price adjustment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Absolutely. I agree and completely understand the cancellation of the partial transit. We were anticipating this may be case.

I do find it odd that we found out through an excursion cancellation (a ferry through the remainder of the canal) and not via an email about an itinerary change itself. The itinerary remains unchanged on the website at the moment but I’m sure we’ll see an update eventually. 

• Like 1

There was a news feature on the Weather Channel this morning discussing the current drought in Panama and how it’s affecting the Panama Canal. Fresh water levels are down and they have to cut back on allowed shipping transits. I believe they stated 30%.
Executives of the Canal discussed their concerns that it could worsen if drought continues.

We are transiting the Canal in January and that could affect our World Cruise itinerary.

No idea if drought is why Koningsdam itinerary change but it would make sense to cut back on partial transits before shipping that requires full passage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Why would they cancel a cruise stop that is six months away?  How could they know what water conditions would be like so far away?

Have no clue as I stated in my post. Was just presenting a current issue the Canal is having. Plus I would presume transient reservations are done well in advance.

Edited by aliaschief

59 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I would feel then that a substantial fare reduction is warranted.  Is not the cost of going through the locks a substantial part of the fare?

Your port fees cover the extra cost of going through the Canal. So, yes, a reduction in port fees/taxes would be appropriate. 

24 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

Why would they cancel a cruise stop that is six months away?  How could they know what water conditions would be like so far away?

They don’t know. The cancellations have nothing to do with current conditions. Cruise ships pay a huge fee not only for a reservation to transit the Canal, but also for a daytime transit.  The Canal is happy to have that business. 

The commercial ships that are waiting now to transit the Canal don’t have reservations. 

• Like 2

News today said that if the region does not get rain for the next three months they will in all probability have to shut the canal down.  They are having trouble getting enough water in to the locks to raise the ships.  I expect if that happens prices will go through the roof. Sorry about your cruises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zigdilcru said:

News today said that if the region does not get rain for the next three months they will in all probability have to shut the canal down.

Oh dear.  Let's start the rain dance now......for everyone's sake!!!

~Nancy

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We have had a port of call cancel and did receive a credit for the port fees not paid.  I would assume at least that, the fees for going though the canal won't be spent.

A bummer to say the least.  

In 2009 we had 3 ports of call in Mexico cancel due to H1N1. Still had a great full transit cruise but did go through the canal.  Then in 2010 missed Antartica on our initial attempt due to rough seas, but Captain looked at weather forcast and made a 2nd attempt 2 or 3 days later - don't remember any we  got there.

I agree it is a bummer, but do not recall even any discussion of a reduction in our cruise fare.  We also missed Falklands on that trip.  Lots of people upset at missing pigeons and mines.

11 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

We have had a port of call cancel and did receive a credit for the port fees not paid.  I would assume at least that, the fees for going though the canal won't be spent.

A bummer to say the least.  

In 2009 we had 3 ports of call in Mexico cancel due to H1N1. Still had a great full transit cruise but did go through the canal.  Then in 2010 missed Antartica on our initial attempt due to rough seas, but Captain looked at weather forcast and made a 2nd attempt 2 or 3 days later - don't remember any we  got there.

I agree it is a bummer, but do not recall even any discussion of a reduction in our cruise fare.  We also missed Falklands on that trip.  Lots of people upset at missing pigeons and mines.

Often, when port fee/tax charges change, it's last-minute and the credit is applied on board. HAL is unlikely to refund anything until they know what the new itinerary will be--other port, another sea day? All the cruise lines will be scrambling to work this out. 

There was a change of about $25 on my last cruise, and they applied it 2 days from the end of the cruise. Gift shop suddenly got very busy.

LIke @BLH613, I've been expecting to see this. I'm sorry that so many people will be disappointed, but it is the right thing to do.

Has anyone on a full transit heard anything about cancelling that?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Has anyone on a full transit heard anything about cancelling that?

I would hope that it will take a LOT to cancel a major repo transit like a World Cruise, but Zaandam has a pair of full transits January 4 to February 3, and it will be interesting to see what happens with them.  I do know that Crystal Serenity just had a pair of December transits cancelled so it bears watching.

Roy

I just quit tracking Panama Canal full transit cruise prices, I am not going to risk it. There may be some real bargains to be had on Cape Horn cruises in the near future. Might be a good time to buy property in Punta Arenas.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, whogo said:

I just quit tracking Panama Canal full transit cruise prices, I am not going to risk it. There may be some real bargains to be had on Cape Horn cruises in the near future. Might be a good time to buy property in Punta Arenas.

How many extra days will it take a cruise ship to go around Cape Horn versus taking the Panama Canal? (assume no port days)

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

How many extra days will it take a cruise ship to go around Cape Horn versus taking the Panama Canal? (assume no port days)

Haven't been able to pin down that number, but did find something that said cargo companies that are rerouting through Suez Canal are adding approx 14 days to their trips.

And ships that are able to pass through PC have to reduce total weight by 40%. That's quite a lot and results in another ship to pick up the offload, so there's a domino effect...

• Like 1