My thoughts on all the "cuts"

KKB

All the mainstream cruise lines have been going through cuts.  Since cruising reopened we have sailed Disney, Royal, Celebrity, and Princess.  Food is the most important experience on a cruise ship to us  and the only times we have been satisfied was the Beyond (we ate in Blu) and the Symphony of Seas (we had the ultimate dining package and ate all dinners and most lunches in specialty dining restaurants).  We were surprised at how mediocre Disney and Princess were in their main dining rooms (and some specialty restaurants) and the poor quality of meats.  Food is always subjective, but I get the disappointment and the questioning of whether the more luxury lines are better fits.

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks Celebrity, you're now giving us all a new kind of anxiety which is: "Future Deterioration Anxiety" 

I think that's called a funny/not funny comment.  I have 7 upcoming cruises booked, two of them in Sky Suites, and it seems that every day when I sign onto Cruise Critic or a FB group I read about another cutback or change that lessens my experience.  With one exception in 75+ cruises I've only had one so-so cruise on Celebrity and the others have been good to great.  In fact until recently I would guess many would think of me as a Celebrity cheerleader!  Not sure what to expect on our upcoming sailings.  I will board with an expectation to have a good time regardless but I confess there is more anxiety there than I should be having for such an expensive vacation.  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 7

If I was going luxury to spend $1000 pp pn it would be on a ship where it’s all inclusive and everyone is treated the same. Crystal Serenity is my only pov and that was 20 years ago. It was awesome. Here they are back! Wind star looks more inclusive than Regent as Regent charges for tips and Wi-Fi ….anyone thought of posting on twitter? May get more traction from celebrity to be heard. Just a thought.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guera53 said:

Wind star looks more inclusive than Regent as Regent charges for tips and Wi-Fi

Are you sure?  My booking with Regent includes both wifi and gratuities...along with everything else.  The wifi is for one device so we will need to purchase a second device but have plenty of OBC to do so.

• Like 1

It is the little cuts that add up and makes a mountain out of a mole hole. A current person on the Apex, which we board in 2 weeks, posted yesterday that Sky Suites are no longer getting the Retreat tote bags as in the past. Don't know if this is fleetwide or localized supply chain issue but we will take one with us from our previous cruise. We will need that bag to go to the Retreat lounge to get our bottled water, beer and soda that we will no longer get from our butler team.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you sure?  My booking with Regent includes both wifi and gratuities...along with everything else.  The wifi is for one device so we will need to purchase a second device but have plenty of OBC to do so.

Something is wrong here. All Regent bookings include WiFi. And tips have been included in the fare since Regent (FKA Radisson)measures founded. Other inclusions are valet laundry, shore excursions, some specialty restaurant access, use of mini fridge contents, and of course all beverages in lounges. Air is included unless you opt out.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Guera53 said:

If I was going luxury to spend $1000 pp pn it would be on a ship where it’s all inclusive and everyone is treated the same. Crystal Serenity is my only pov and that was 20 years ago. It was awesome. Here they are back! Wind star looks more inclusive than Regent as Regent charges for tips and Wi-Fi ….anyone thought of posting on twitter? May get more traction from celebrity to be heard. Just a thought.

I paid much less than $1,000 pp/pn and we had either Concierge or Penthouse suites.  My three cruises included gratuities AND Wi-Fi for both of us.

• Like 1

I am really trying to decide at what point the cuts will be too much. In the past when we sailed Disney we used to want to keep our costs below 130-150 a night per person, and at the end we generally sailed insides. For Disney that per person number didn't include taxes and port fees. Now that we have done RCCL and Celebrity we have had no issue doing that, even out into 2025. Since we don't drink much and don't use the web onboard, the all included option doesn't add anything for us, so we try to book cruise only. 

This February onboard the Edge, the cruises we looked at on the Beyond and Eclipse were under 120 a night per person after taxes and port fees were applied for inside rooms, we really overpaid for the mouse. We ended up on the Eclipse. While we have cruised cheaper from time to time, we are very comfortable with these numbers because they are less than what we used to pay on Disney. I guess this is why I am not getting worked up yet. Yes they menu options were less on this last cruise, but it was still good food. Celebrity was still much better than HAL in 2023, so we will be sticking with Celebrity as first choice. We don't have a mainline celebrity cruise booked in 2024, because we are doing the Galapagos on the Expedition. We make look later in 2024 for a last minute deal on X, RCCL or HAL to get a second cruise in.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Something is wrong here. All Regent bookings include WiFi. And tips have been included in the fare since Regent (FKA Radisson)measures founded. Other inclusions are valet laundry, shore excursions, some specialty restaurant access, use of mini fridge contents, and of course all beverages in lounges. Air is included unless you opt out.

Yes, exactly as I thought.  Perhaps @Guera53 sailed prior to those inclusions...IDK.  But I just double checked and it seems everything is included except spa treatments, upgraded excursions, and bottles of premium wine.  Our stateroom category does not include a butler, which is fine.

Edit to add that the $3k deposit is refundable up until final payment in December, 2024.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 hour ago, Guera53 said:

Wind star looks more inclusive than Regent as Regent charges for tips and Wi-Fi ….anyone thought of posting on twitter?

I think you may have this backwards.  I'm booked on Windstar in January.  They have an all included package Drinks/Wifi/Tips for $89 pp/pd.  If you  book cruise only tips are $16 pp/pd (can't use OBC) wifi $35 pp/pd (or you can buy by the GB).  Windstar has non alcoholic drinks included (water/soda/coffees) in the cruise only fare.

I'm real sure Regent everything in included in your cruise fare including basic shore excursion.

I've sailed on Celebrity 4 times this year in the Retreat. I have one more scheduled for this year, two for 2024, and one for 2025. My first Celebrity cruise was just this past January, and it's been so disheartening to see all of the changes over the last few months. The premium beverage selection has been declining and is not at all commensurate with other cruise lines. I absolutely love Celebrity's staff, but at some point that's not enough. Between the cookie scandal (which I see as a harbinger for things to come), the continuous changes to Retreat services, and the stripping away of perks, along with the very real anxiety about what any future booked cruises will be like, I've reluctantly decided it's time to move on from Celebrity.

At $1200+ per night in the Retreat with only food, drinks, and wifi included, it just doesn't make sense to stay when luxury lines offer far more. For example, I have an 11 night Caribbean cruise booked on Silversea that includes everything, plus excursions, airfare, and transfers for $830 per night. Although it's not always about math, for me, cruising is how I choose to vacation because I can book it and everything is done -- having very little to worry about during the cruise is the real value to me. And every move Celebrity is making is heading in the opposite direction of that. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

I've sailed on Celebrity 4 times this year in the Retreat. I have one more scheduled for this year, two for 2024, and one for 2025. My first Celebrity cruise was just this past January, and it's been so disheartening to see all of the changes over the last few months. The premium beverage selection has been declining and is not at all commensurate with other cruise lines. I absolutely love Celebrity's staff, but at some point that's not enough. Between the cookie scandal (which I see as a harbinger for things to come), the continuous changes to Retreat services, and the stripping away of perks, along with the very real anxiety about what any future booked cruises will be like, I've reluctantly decided it's time to move on from Celebrity.

At $1200+ per night in the Retreat with only food, drinks, and wifi included, it just doesn't make sense to stay when luxury lines offer far more. For example, I have an 11 night Caribbean cruise booked on Silversea that includes everything, plus excursions, airfare, and transfers for $830 per night. Although it's not always about math, for me, cruising is how I choose to vacation because I can book it and everything is done -- having very little to worry about during the cruise is the real value to me. And every move Celebrity is making is heading in the opposite direction of that. 

that is certainly true at the Retreat/suite level.  SSea et al offer a "fuller" experience than X at those numbers. With a little bit of looking you can find something at the same price as X. We booked a Med cruise on SSea (with excursions) for the same price as X suite. 

Most of the cuts here and there dont bother me.  Team Butlers, premium wines that come and go are ok.  

22 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

Well said!   The "worry" and instability is off putting.  The lack of a clear comms and an identity is an issue for us, too. 

We're looking for fresh ships with what Retreat and Celebrity was (positive feeling, too) that would be child accepting (but not a thrill/ amusement park).  Realize that's many on this board, but our child is a much a cruise critic as anyone, naturally.  

Edited by Cap_D

Since we are talking about Regent, we have cruised this line since 2002, and know a bit of its history. Tips and mini bar in suite were included from the start as Radisson in the last century. Lounge beverages were added around 2005. Basic shore excursions, WiFi, and air were included in serial fashion later, but still a long time ago. Valet laundry was added in 2022.

We wanted an E, Caribbean cruise early Spring 2024. We priced a Regent suite and an X CS. For comparison I deleted the Regent air (which can be done for a fare reduction) and compared prices. Believe it or not, the Regent fare was $1100 pp LESS than X’s, and it included minibar and excursions and laundry. Guess what we booked?  Regent’s history has been adding perks and inclusions — not removing them.

Along those lines, I note that some threads about the demise of included tips have been removed here. Is this because it was a hoax (I hope so) or some other reason?

19 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Since we are talking about Regent, we have cruised this line since 2002, and know a bit of its history. Tips and mini bar in suite were included from the start as Radisson in the last century. Lounge beverages were added around 2005. Basic shore excursions, WiFi, and air were included in serial fashion later, but still a long time ago. Valet laundry was added in 2022.

We wanted an E, Caribbean cruise early Spring 2024. We priced a Regent suite and an X CS. For comparison I deleted the Regent air (which can be done for a fare reduction) and compared prices. Believe it or not, the Regent fare was $1100 pp LESS than X’s, and it included minibar and excursions and laundry. Guess what we booked?  Regent’s history has been adding perks and inclusions — not removing them.

Along those lines, I note that some threads about the demise of included tips have been removed here. Is this because it was a hoax (I hope so) or some other reason?

I noticed two deleted threads last evening as well, and thankfully saved the attachment on it.

See this newly-created thread with a link to a .pdf with almost the same information as the one that was deleted:  All inclusive will no longer include tips!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sparkopotamus said:

I noticed two deleted threads last evening as well, and thankfully saved the attachment on it.

See this newly-created thread with a link to a .pdf with almost the same information as the one that was deleted:  All inclusive will no longer include tips!

I just read that thread and here is the link to the new AI for all cabin classes starting on cruises booked after Oct 4th, 2023. For those like us the change will not affect us for our upcoming already booked cruises. If you are in the Retreat a 10 day cruise will now cost an additional $460 for the gratuities.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/CEL_08_22_23_All_Included_One_Pager.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1EmoLRFxu24KZfCzGHgbql8pMQBZIMHCaVYWznPTtv5rxUiyhxZWi6PUU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have two cruises booked with Regent (Mariner) for less than $1K/night solo, including bus class air.  All the stuff I receive as zenith is included in the basic fare (laundry, wifi, bevs, room service) and includes gratuities.  BTW, the regulars say no additional tips are expected.  Oh, and I'm receiving sizeable OBC for both sailings.  I definitely like the refundable deposit (less $100 if you cancel), reasonably-priced business class air, size of the cabins, and.....a walk-in shower (the X bathtub combos are no-go for me).  I look forward to being able to order dinner from the dining room in my cabin if I want to (probably won't, but I could).  And I can cancel the air add-on if I can get something with points/miles (330 days out).  I'm especially looking forward to being on a ship where everyone is "special."  This class stuff with the mainstream lines has gotten silly; I don't want to have to book a suite just so I don't miss the magnificent Stockholm sail-in view.  I personally liked Celebrity much better when the food actually was exceptional and all of us, all the way through PH, ate together in the MDR (DH and I cruised suites often back then).  But those are just memories - the onslaught of downgrades from Celebrity since January has pushed me away to make new memories elsewhere.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

All the mainstream cruise lines have been going through cuts.  Since cruising reopened we have sailed Disney, Royal, Celebrity, and Princess.  Food is the most important experience on a cruise ship to us  and the only times we have been satisfied was the Beyond (we ate in Blu) and the Symphony of Seas (we had the ultimate dining package and ate all dinners and most lunches in specialty dining restaurants).  We were surprised at how mediocre Disney and Princess were in their main dining rooms (and some specialty restaurants) and the poor quality of meats.  Food is always subjective, but I get the disappointment and the questioning of whether the more luxury lines are better fits.

BEYOND BLU was outstanding.. contrssted to Luminae which was  meh (how can you ruin  shrimp cocktail?..but they did)

• Like 1

As we are “Regent regulars” we can say that no additional tipping is expected on Regent. We have had tip offers refused. We offered a tip because a staff member went way beyond the call of duty for us. If we have great service some of us donate to the Crew Fund which helps crew members if they have family emergencies and such. You will have a problem finding a way to use OBC. The best way is to book some premium excursions that aren’t included in the fare. 

46 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, I guess it is not a hoax. Then why, I wonder, was the thread deleted. Did some poster go off on a rant or what?

I was advised it was removed because cruise line employees were mentioned by name which is against cruise critic policy.

• Like 2

While many of the cuts don't specifically affect us, the "chiseling away" of the product, while dramatic increases in prices, has caused us to look elsewhere from Celebrity and RCI.  We just booked a Iceland/Norway cruise on NCL (never thought I would say that) because the itinerary was better, the ship was newer, and the pricing was much more reasonable.  We are also looking at other 'premium' brands.  

My loyalty is to my budget, and what I'm willing to pay for a cruise vs a land vacation.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

As we are “Regent regulars” we can say that no additional tipping is expected on Regent. We have had tip offers refused. We offered a tip because a staff member went way beyond the call of duty for us. If we have great service some of us donate to the Crew Fund which helps crew members if they have family emergencies and such. You will have a problem finding a way to use OBC. The best way is to book some premium excursions that aren’t included in the fare. 

I am looking at Regent as a possible replacement for Celebrity.  We are Elite Plus and while I hate to give up the perks that come with it, in the same breath I don't know that those E+ perks will continue to have any relevance the way things are going.

• Like 1