You can't make these things up!!

whitecap

Just now, Ret MP said:

Man, I got on your bad side today/night.

Why?  Well, because I can and I choose to do it.  It has nothing to do with hunger or waiting 5 minutes.  It's because I want to and if I really like the FFs, I'll get more on my plate before I go sit down.  

The difference?  Well, let's start with I'm not putting food on my plate and putting it back, totally sanitary.  Nothing I place on my plate/tray ever gets back onto the serving line/steam table/under the hot lamp, NOTHING <for emphasis, not yelling.  I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.  Also, the difference is the hypocrisy we are experiencing today.  We are trying to protect ourselves to death, literally.  

No, no bad side, since I’m on a ship. 

Yes, the ME Me mentality raises it’s ugly head. Btw, your comment is laughable.

If the food was put on a plate in a place that was never touched by anything else why is it ok for you to eat a fry (no fingers are touching your mouth as you said), but someone can’t put the food back? Your argument doesn’t seem to make sense. 

Edited by ReneeFLL

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes, the ME Me mentality raises it’s ugly head. Btw, your comment is laughable.

If the food was put on a plate in a place that was never touched by anything else why is it ok for you to eat a fry (no fingers are touching your mouth as you said), but someone can’t put the food back? Your argument doesn’t seem to make sense. 

Renee

Hope you and Mike are enjoying being up North 

Have you seen any green lights ?

I think 28 days at sea and 28 nights in the schooner might be a tough one to beat 🥃

You got your work cut out with MP, I gave up on that train months ago 

What time is it at the North Pole 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes, the ME Me mentality raises it’s ugly head.

Because I don't know what they have done with the food or plate.  Did they cough, drool, sneeze, or whatever on the plate and/or food?  My fingers never touched my mouth or nose, my food never made it back to the serving line.  There is no question about that.  It seems, like others, that you are more worried about the optics, not logic.  And yes, on a cruise, it is all about me, that's what I pay for.  However, I still use common courtesy(ies) and respect other's rights and social norms.  

I wonder if you and others get grossed out when the head chef pulls out his tasting spoon, tries what the underlings cooked, wipes the spoon off with a napkin, and then puts it back in his pocket for the next tasting.  Or how about the underlings cooking the meal and sweating all over the food and talking/yelling at his/her buddies and spit spewing out of their mouths?  And you think that because I take a FF or two with my fingers from MY plate and put the FFs in my mouth without touching my mouth is gross?  LOL  

9 hours ago, babyblue78 said:

Just saying.... I hope some of ya'll don't eat out at restaurants, if you expect 100% "sanitation".  

What I"m reading in this thread isn't only about sanitation, though that sure seems to be the focus.  

To me it is also about manners, politeness, and maybe, for crying out loud, trying to show just a small amount of self control.   Did I mention manners.  

• Like 4

Just now, PompeySailor said:

Renee

Hope you and Mike are enjoying being up North 

Have you seen any green lights ?

I think 28 days at sea and 28 nights in the schooner might be a tough one to beat 🥃

You got your work cut out with MP, I gave up on that train months ago 

What time is it at the North Pole 🤣

Mike saw some, but I wasn’t up to staying up on deck all night or keep going from the cabin to the deck to see if I could see them. Unfortunately, our balcony is on the wrong side to see the lights or I probably would have gotten out of bed to look for them. Mike did see some since he went up a few times. I think you could easily handle 28 days/nights in the Schooner bar. 🍹🍹🍹 I think many others have also when it comes to MP. It’s 12:37 am here. We were in Qaqortoq, Greenland today and have a sea day tomorrow. Unfortunately, only 7 more days after that. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, whitecap said:

I would like to believe that a "restaurant" is complying with all codes and inspections regarding food safety and sanitation but knowing that there are some who will try to find ways around the regulations.  In this thread, what is being discussed is the actions of "individuals" who by their actions spread the germs that cause a number of issues to others.  

Agree…. But there are posts in this thread about not TALKING around the food.  Really, those people think no one talks in the prep kitchen?  Understand nastiness and general sanitation rules, but someone chewing a single fry while breathing in line at the buffet, if you think that’s bad idk what to say.  LOL

17 hours ago, whitecap said:

I would like to believe that a "restaurant" is complying with all codes and inspections regarding food safety and sanitation but knowing that there are some who will try to find ways around the regulations.  In this thread, what is being discussed is the actions of "individuals" who by their actions spread the germs that cause a number of issues to others.  

Would it be wrong to eat right from the hibachi grill? (Joke font on)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/5/2023 at 5:03 PM, alfaeric said:

Lucky you.  Maybe more people are aware of hygiene after 2020, but seeing people eat something off their plate and then reach for a serving device has been around a long time.  I'm glad that other people are finally noticing, but to think this is new, well....

Regarding eating off of one's plate while traversing the buffet.......people seem to be put off by that but think about this.............

After filling their plate at the buffet, people sit at their table, eat off of their plate with utensils and their hands, licking their fingers and such. Then, those same people get up from the table and traverse the buffet again with those contaminated fingers of theirs and pick up the serving utensils. It is just the way it is. That is what dining in a buffet is all about. What can you do besides not eat at a buffet if that stuff really bothers you.

Edited by coffeebean

On 9/5/2023 at 5:14 PM, whitecap said:

Well then, you would have to also give kudos to the elderly man who sat at the table next to us and as he finished his meal, used his finger to run across his teeth to remove excess food.  But wait, he wasn't really finished, he walked over to the desert, picked up and replaced several selection before settling on a piece of pie.  Came back to the table, ate the pie and cleaned his teeth once again with his finger.  

That is the exact point I just posted about. LOL.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:58 PM, loman said:

Ill wash my hands going into the buffet , and then handle all the germ laden utensils as i select my food.

I will then not touch any of the food with my hands and use a knife and fork for everything.

Even a muffin .🙂

What about a sandwich, hot dog, burger? You get the idea.

23 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I'm going to be very disappointed if I'm not allowed to open my mouth unless I'm at my table.  I've been known to munch on a few fries, especially if they are dropped fresh and hot.  Haven't had to lick my fingers yet.  I just wipe them on my clean shirt.

Oh, I'll admit it. I also will put a French Fry in my mouth while I'm walking around the buffet. I am very careful though not to touch my fingers to my mouth, just the FF. Actually, that is really easy to do.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Wow! I never added up how much we get dollarwise in drink vouchers! On our B2B next month we’ll be getting $1,680 on the first cruise and $2,100 on the TA… 🍸🍷🍹🥂🥃

I have and it is unfortunately getting worse by what I’ve seen. It was good during Covid when they served the food in the WJ, but then that stopped. Anyone who is even a slight germaphobe will notice things like that.

Actually, the Covid virus is not transmitted via food as it is not a food borne organism. The only possible way to be exposed to Covid when you eat is if you inhale the food into your lungs. I suggest you not do that though.

Norovirus is foodborne so it is transmitted via food that you consume. So, when the buffet food was served by the crew, Noro was being contained, not Covid.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

What about a sandwich, hot dog, burger? You get the idea.

Ya , we dont eat bread , so if in the dining room we tell the server to take away the bread basket as we would like to save some calories for other tastier food. 

With the variety of food available we dont go for burgers or sandwiches on a cruise ship .We can get that at home if we want it. 🙂

Dont eat hot dogs , and  with pizza , i toss the crust part where i held it if i didnt use utensils .

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Because I don't know what they have done with the food or plate.  Did they cough, drool, sneeze, or whatever on the plate and/or food?  My fingers never touched my mouth or nose, my food never made it back to the serving line.  There is no question about that.  It seems, like others, that you are more worried about the optics, not logic.  And yes, on a cruise, it is all about me, that's what I pay for.  However, I still use common courtesy(ies) and respect other's rights and social norms.  

I wonder if you and others get grossed out when the head chef pulls out his tasting spoon, tries what the underlings cooked, wipes the spoon off with a napkin, and then puts it back in his pocket for the next tasting.  Or how about the underlings cooking the meal and sweating all over the food and talking/yelling at his/her buddies and spit spewing out of their mouths?  And you think that because I take a FF or two with my fingers from MY plate and put the FFs in my mouth without touching my mouth is gross?  LOL  

Oh my, that is not a pretty picture in my head now. I will NEVER eat in a restaurant or on any cruise ship again.

Nah, just kidding. LOL.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

What I"m reading in this thread isn't only about sanitation, though that sure seems to be the focus.  

To me it is also about manners, politeness, and maybe, for crying out loud, trying to show just a small amount of self control.   Did I mention manners.  

Agree with those sentiments also... but years ago I decided to worry about what I can control, and not what other people do, and just keep it moving.  If I focus or concern myself with those things it only brings me down, and I am just here to have my vacation!

• Like 2

A few weeks ago I posted a topic....

This video should be played on a LOOP on all cruises.....

This thread is a tangent of that one.  

In My post a few weeks ago I wrote........

Are you a Cruise Buffet Loser?  

Saw this one yesterday by Tony at La Lido Loca and wished it were played on ALL cruises, not just Royal.  

Lists about 10 Buffet Loser Moves, which unfortunately I believe I have witnessed perhaps all.

PERHAPS.......a cruise line could make a friendly PSA version of the YouTube post and it may nice up people and lessen spread of any virus or germs, including norovirus.

Eddie

On 9/5/2023 at 8:13 PM, George C said:

I have disliked Windjammer buffet for decades , I no longer use it , we book suites on oasis class which gives us suite restaurant and we book specialty restaurants. Oasis class also gives you more free options for lunch , plus superior entertainment.

I just read four pages of this thread and unfortunately I think some of y'all shouldn't be on a cruise much less in the Windjammer. I also think that due to Covid, many people now are actually more concerned and therefore have become more aware of their surroundings and the things that can potentially spread diseases. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Actually, the Covid virus is not transmitted via food as it is not a food borne organism. The only possible way to be exposed to Covid when you eat is if you inhale the food into your lungs. I suggest you not do that though.

Norovirus is foodborne so it is transmitted via food that you consume. So, when the buffet food was served by the crew, Noro was being contained, not Covid.

I know that, I have always thought the food shouldn’t be “self serve” but not due to Covid, although what you replied to was my comment on how much our D+ drinks added to on a cruise if we had to pay for them.

2 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Cold fries are not worth eating.  That's why.

Well, if cold fries aren't worth eating, and neither is any cold entree, you would not be eating much on this ship.  I can honestly say that in the seven days we have been onboard, we may have found entrees twice that were hot or at least above the luck warm stage.  So, if you want luke warm fries and fear them getting cold by the time you reach your table, you might want to consider just pulling up a chair to the buffet line.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mcgore83 said:

Wow! So you think just because you are in a suite, people do no not have unsanitary habits! Just Wow!

That is quite the jump from what he actually said.  He books suites so he will have access to Coastal Kitchen for meals.  This allows him to avoid the Windjammer and the crowds.  We do the same thing when we sail a ship that has Royal Suite Class.  

• Like 4