Celebrity: "Surround yourself with the greatest entertainment at sea." ​😅​

NutsAboutGolf

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I don’t have to go to the shows for great entertainment.  It’s people watching.  You’d be amazed what people do, wear (almost) and don’t wear…. EM

People watching on cruises is underrated...it's great entertainment.  

14 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I would pay to see the Royal Broadway shows (except Cats). 

Totally agree! I found Oasis-class entertainment to be exceptional. Even Cats was amazing (production, choreography, talent), but the lack of plot is what drives everyone (including me) away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

The majority of the production shows on Celebrity are horrible, it’s time to retire Topper and Elysium, they’ve been around way too long.

Absolutely!  Those two shows are hard to understand and appreciate and need to be retired.

My daughter is/was a professional entertainer/actress/.  She worked on several lines with wonderful shows...NCL had a great choreographer....Carnival put a lot into their shows...Holland America styled theirs to the 'older' crowd...and we did enjoy Royal C's.  X started  inhouse choreography some time ago and nothing has changed on S/M class.  However I'm told E class shows are very good.  Not to say S/M aren't...they are just tired.  The dancers work their little 'feet' off to entertain their guests and unfortunately the singers sometimes screech, but if long time X cruisers are bored with the show I hope they don't take it out on the talent.  We know what they go through to even get through the auditions for their 'job', so we do appreciate each effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been on enough cruises now that we rarely go to shows anymore. The Cirque ones used to be very good but most production shows are a bit amatuerish.

For us entertainment on board is live music. And nothing holds a candle to the BB King Blues bars on Holland America.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, koolforkatz said:

We have been on enough cruises now that we rarely go to shows anymore. The Cirque ones used to be very good but most production shows are a bit amatuerish.

For us entertainment on board is live music. And nothing holds a candle to the BB King Blues bars on Holland America.

yeah if you could just get a seat!

7 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

The majority of the production shows on Celebrity are horrible, it’s time to retire Topper and Elysium, they’ve been around way too long.

Wow.. are they still around?

Re runs on TV would be more intetesting!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mick B said:

I would imagine that Titanic the Musical would be an interesting idea for a show especially on a TA around April time in stormy weather!

No, seriously, I normally only sail the smaller ships because they go to the places I want to visit and I have noticed that the entertainment in the theatre is disappearing bit by bit in the past few years. Not sure if all the good acts are being moved to the new and larger ships or whether they have packed up after the pandemic.

I used to look forward to a good show whilst on the ship, but I am no longer bothered too much as there are plenty of other things to do in the evenings after dinner.

I guess there are enough newbies on each ship to enjoy things like Grease and We Will Rock You (all of which I have seen many times and still enjoy).

There are some good bands that play throughout the ships too in various lounges, but again, music is subjective and what I think is good maybe viewed as crap by someone else.

Schooner Bar piano players vary from ship to ship and so does the size and layout of these bars and that can sometimes determine the ambience of what is to come.

At the end of the day I am just glad that I can get on a cruise ship and sail away to somewhere nice (and even new from time to time too) and not have to worry about anything. Just go with the flow and enjoy what I find and I do find that most people I meet are good people and also enjoy what is being offered.

I have met a few complainers too, but if you do not like something, then you do not have to go and take part in it.

As I said, there is plenty to do on board and if you find there isn't then it may be time to find an alternative holiday destination - good luck finding on land what the cruise ships offer for the same price!

Mick.

As we’ve been to everywhere we have wanted to see and at this stage in our lives (late 70s)for us the ship is the destination and part of the experience is the entertainment.

13 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I've seen Elysium exactly once and don't need to see it again. We'll be skipping it on our upcoming Reflection cruise.

On 9/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for the laugh, X!  So let's just take a look your sister line, RCI.  On RCI, you have the main shows which can have branded broadway shows like Cats, Mama Mia, Greece, etc, these are shows you generally have to pay for on land.  You have a dedicated comedian lounge, you have ice rink shows, you have the amazing high diving shows, you have the sing-a-long pian bar, etc.  I spoken to various people who state after they've gone a certain number of X cruises they stop going to the shows

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/entertainment/shows

image.thumb.png.a8fed48c0616b086707f4bf958b358a2.png

What do you expect Celebrity to do?  

On 9/6/2023 at 6:54 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for the laugh, X!  So let's just take a look your sister line, RCI.  On RCI, you have the main shows which can have branded broadway shows like Cats, Mama Mia, Greece, etc, these are shows you generally have to pay for on land.  You have a dedicated comedian lounge, you have ice rink shows, you have the amazing high diving shows, you have the sing-a-long pian bar, etc.  I spoken to various people who state after they've gone a certain number of X cruises they stop going to the shows

Freedom class ships and lager have those shows. Voyager class and smaller do not. On those class of ships the main theater entertainment is a lot like Celebrity's. 

Not all RC class ships have ice rinks, comedy clubs, diving shows. 

Wish Celebrity had Quest. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

That's easy!  I would expect more and more cutbacks 🙃

I’m not a show or entertainment person. I think they are all mostly terrible. And definitely not isolated to Celebrity. But if I could recommend cutting that ukulele boy band that would be a great start.   

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I'll be honest, that theater on the Edge class ships IS one of the best I've been in at sea.  

I agree with that.  Only issue we had was seating - the nights the best shows were on all the seats were full and there was literally standing only two rows deep at the back (which made it very difficult for our disabled relative in a scooter - including people who took the handicapped area seat even if they weren't)

We have cruised a bit in the very distant past - last cruise was 2013. Things have changed a lot I am sure - but one of the things that really 'entertained' us were all the different small events - demonstrations for folding towel animals, cutting fruit for plate presentations, even IT classes - we often participated in these sessions. We are on the Celebrity Ascent Jan 21 - now I realize it is a new cruise ship so no reviews etc yet - but I believe that the Apex & Beyond are similar. Do you still get that daily schedule under your door in the mornings? (or now quite possibly on the app) - can anyone give me an idea of what other 'activities' are onboard? And what that schedule might be like? 

On 9/6/2023 at 8:54 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

image.thumb.png.a8fed48c0616b086707f4bf958b358a2.png

I remember on Johnny Carson when the ax throwing guy hit the diagram of the person right between the legs.  Johnny, always quick on his toes, said “That’s not fighting fair!”

With that in mind, what is a better show than the display of cutbacks Celebrity unveils almost every day?

What is Celebrity thinking? Lately, it seems every time they open their mouths about anything, they put their foot right in it. We're not stupid people, Celebrity, so we know you don't have the best entertainment at sea. Look at your parent company before making an idiot out of yourselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

What is Celebrity thinking? Lately, it seems every time they open their mouths about anything, they put their foot right in it. We're not stupid people, Celebrity, so we know you don't have the best entertainment at sea. Look at your parent company before making an idiot out of yourselves.

And where do you think the directions are coming from? 

• Like 1

The way to really cut costs to to get free entertainment.   We were on cruises where the main show was a talent show.   It was our first cruise and couldn’t believe that passengers packed their costumes and props to do that.   The other is to have more Karaoke (not a fan and always avoid it) and do it in the main theater.    All free entertainment 

A few years back on X they had a talent show put on by the staff and workers to show off what they could do.   I think it was a matinee show.  Can’t believe that they gave up their free time to do that but it could become a condition of employment ☹️

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅