The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 10th, 2023

richwmn

70 headed to 97, so another hot day ahead. We had rain for about 15 min last night - yay!💦

Grandparents deserve a day of celebration. I was blessed to know and spend time w/mine. Got a love of water & swimming from paternal GF, I thought the pink toast GM used to make me was the coolest food ever until my dad told me it was just butter mixed w/ red food coloring 🤔

Swapping ideas is efficient, fun way to learn - who knew it had its own day? Sewing machine was a great invention. As a child, I didn't appreciate the time my mother spent making clothes for us, but seeing her machine today I realize the investment she made doing that. I spent countless amounts of time standing on the kitchen table, spinning in circles while she marked hems...🪡🧵

Passing on the food & drink.

Never been to Amsterdam but very much enjoying all the pictures. 

Laundry 🫧and packing 🧳are IT today as my plane flies off in 5 days & ship sails in 6 days.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

• Like 29

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It IS a lot of work to plan all these things!  Meanwhile our travel partner is usually oblivious and expects these plans to miraculously happen - voila! 

Actually, he is doing all the work this morning. I’m just running the copier. LOL

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with a forecasted high of 74F.  Right now it is rather chilly at 53F.  Sue is basking in Grandparents Day as she enjoys being a Grandma.  I plan to get the sewing machine out sometime soon and work on a quilt I started back in May of 2022.  It kind of got put aside during the move.  

@Crazy For Cats There was a Mariner's Lunch on our Greenland/Iceland cruise, but it was just lunch.  We were herded in, served lunch, and left.  No address by an officer or toast to fellow Mariners.  We did get pillow chocolates every night.  I keep forgetting to mention that!

I've been to Amsterdam many times.  I've been there with students on a bus tour and when cruising.  My pictures are pretty much the same.   

Amsterdam.thumb.jpg.3d068da904bc1a03604e71e0e7279f3b.jpg

Today's meal is an easy Mediterranean orzo salad recipe with feta, loads of crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs, and a tangy Greek dressing. Make this healthy pasta salad for your next picnic or prepare it ahead for dinner! It’s even better the next day.https://www.themediterraneandish.com/orzo-salad/

orzosalad1.thumb.jpg.92f490bea74a91571ff3cb974f292721.jpg

This one varies slightly in ingredients and dressing recipe.  The nice thing about salads like this is that you can adapt them to your tastes easily.  Add in the vegetables of your choice.  https://www.foodiecrush.com/mediterranean-orzo-salad/

orzosalad2.thumb.jpg.d673d52ba0ff18b677d3cb1cabab1d6c.jpg

Ree Drummond adds chickpeas to her orzo salad for an added boost of protein.  But, she says, feel free to toss in some chicken.  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11963/mediterranean-orzo-salad/

orzosalad3.thumb.jpg.3077c7bd030f4a6a1369a5dce624600c.jpg

I hope everyone has a relaxing, pleasant day.   Hugs to those who need them.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Grandparents Day to all the grandparents here, and those who take their place in young lives.  Although I'm not a great sewer, I've had a sewing machines all my adult life and have made great use of them.  This forum is a great place to swap ideas - love it!

We had sunshine a few minutes ago, now there are clouds blocking the way - hopefully they'll move along and we can reach our predicted high of 22 (72F).  There wasn't any more rain overnight so that means the fellow can come back and finish the side and back lawns before our friends arrive later this afternoon.

I see most of our US television channels have college football - that to me, is a true signal of fall.  I don't know how your favourite teams fared yesterday, but in the CFL our Saskatchewan Roughriders failed dismally with a 51 - 6 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  This is the same team they beat last weekend in overtime.  What a difference a week makes!

Heading out in a while to pick up some fresh fruit, then back home where I'll run the vacuum over the floors and wipe the ever present dust off the deck surfaces, and we'll be ready to relax when our friends come into town.  I'll pass on the drink of the day, as I'll be making Aperol spritzes, and the menu is looking like barbecued pork chops, dilled potatoes and Greek salad that we'll be able to enjoy on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially our Daily family members and also today the people of Morocco.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

• Like 32

Good morning Dailyites. 

A beautiful morning here in the low 70's. High of 98 today and I can't believe the next 10 days will not hit 100.

Hoping hurricane Lee settles. Prayers for those in Morocco, Ukraine and Maui. 

Thank you Graham for Father David's sermon. I will watch it after I post. Prayers lifted to all on our prayer list. Thank you Vanessa for keeping a comprehensive list for cares, celebrations, and cruisers. Thinking of Lou, baby Murphy, and our Roy.

Yesterday I accomplished 95% of the back yard. All the annuals are out, planters washed and put away. Cleaned the chairs and tables and washed the flagstone. It's ready for guests. Hoping the weather cools so we can start enjoying our evenings outside again. It has been one long, hot summer.

We are having lamb shanks tonight. So will save the recipe for another day. Many thanks to all the folks here that contribute. Have a wonderful week. Be kind.

image.png.88807abb6599ff24a98f6d23051b3d7d.png

image.png.295ad647aa04b9860eeed9fa13293285.png

image.png.e29b7a060b909090c4d5d8161fdae1fd.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  I did sleep until 8:20, but feel I deserve sleeping late for once. I would love to be the second one up, with the coffee made, and the cats fed, and breakfast waiting for me, but that hasn't happened in years. This is what cruising is for.

Yes there is laundry to do, and grocery shopping to be done.  BUT DH says he will actually make dinner tonight (he wants those scalloped potatoes) which he hasn't had a chance to make.  Plus getting up early gives me time to be here, and here is a wonderful place to be.

I have a question for you world travelers.  What can DH and I expect when we arrive in Rome.  What does customs entail?  Are we in line for hours?  The last time I went to Europe was with my parents, and I don't remember going through customs .  And prior to that was flying to school, in Switzerland, and the school reps basically met us at the gate. I remember going through customs upon my return to the US.  That's it.  So, what happens in Rome?

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

6ef76861c21545eff27fc0826a309c8b.jpg

@rafinmd I hope you are feeling better.

pic_017_result-47.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I have a question for you world travelers.  What can DH and I expect when we arrive in Rome.  What does customs entail?  Are we in line for hours?  The last time I went to Europe was with my parents, and I don't remember going through customs .  And prior to that was flying to school, in Switzerland, and the school reps basically met us at the gate. I remember going through customs upon my return to the US.  That's it.  So, what happens in Rome?

Annie,

I don’t remember anything more than going through immigration where they look at your passport and stamp it and you are on your way to the baggage retrieval.  I don’t remember long lines.  I grant you that it has been a number of years since we flew to Rome (I’m thinking 2015 or so).  i do remember leaving from Rome is always a hassle.  

I don’t think you will be in line for hours.   Hope this helps.  Do you have a car service meeting you at the Airport?  If not, contact RomeCabs.com.  They are wonderful.

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Sandy you can say that again - also the cruises m

38 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It IS a lot of work to plan all these things!  Meanwhile our travel partner is usually oblivious and expects these plans to miraculously happen - voila! 

@StLouisCruisers you can say that again - along with booking the actual cruise and figuring out which one they will consent to go on.  My DH has told me no long flights any more which really limits our ability to travel.  Next year we have a one way flight to Europe and I guess that is it and like @summer slope we will be driving to FLL which for us is only 45 minutes away.  

• Like 25

Good morning! Waking up to the smell of coffee, breakfast sausages and blueberry pancakes. Yummy!

I believe we will be going to a local farmers market this morning. We have another week here and we cannot be more relaxed. 
I knew one of my grandparents and she was a gem. 
The pancake breakfast is calling me so thanks for the Fleet Report and special post. Thoughts, concern and prayers for all in need. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.487c9f7a083caa09fd3f41187f75c67d.jpegimage.jpeg.2fac48339133c2934890d3e86e052715.jpegimage.jpeg.4e0ac83aabd74f7f6c5e80a1a214717a.jpegimage.jpeg.957ab7d18f13b9c79778d90640dc0bc4.jpegimage.jpeg.5ba69e1af3bdb9d7440d289cabf8144e.jpegimage.jpeg.16df21703e6fa685d29d5508b7c8dce8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 17

@marshhawk

Annie do you have a direct flight from the States in to Rome?  If not, you will clear customs at the first stop in the EU. I have never flown directly in to Rome. 

I remember leaving from Rome was a pain, mostly because it was so unorganized. But that was 2006. Hope it has improved. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@marshhawk I had two experiences flying from Atlanta to Rome, a couple of years apart. The first time when I got to immigration there was a long line that took 30 - 40 minutes to work my way thru.

The second time there was no line and I basically showed my passport to an official and didn't really stop at all.

Rome Cabs was waiting for me both times, first to take me to a hotel in Rome, the second to a hotel at the port.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@marshhawk

Annie do you have a direct flight from the States in to Rome?  If not, you will clear customs at the first stop in the EU. I have never flown directly in to Rome. 

I remember leaving from Rome was a pain, mostly because it was so unorganized. But that was 2006. Hope it has improved. 

We are flying non stop into Rome then flying back out of Rome. Is leaving Rome a pain in general or only for cruising? Trying to get an idea of how early we need to leave the hotel that morning. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Cruzin Terri and @cat shepard and @richwmn.  We do fly directly to Rome.  Atlanta to Rome. I do have RomeCabs to get from the hotel to the ship, but as they have changed our flight time, I am wary of making that kind of commitment.  And neither of us have international calling on our phones.  We need to somehow get organized.  I also need to get to the Atlanta airport.  I am too old to put up with taking the train with a bunch of luggage, changing trains and wandering through the train station at the airport.  We wont be coming back into Rome after the cruise, we will be staying on, back to Tampa.

DH does not want to get a new phone and have a 3 year contract. I have read that we can buy a sim card when we get to the airport in Italy.  Customer service with Trac phone is rather useless at answering questions.  I will accept any and all suggestions.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Sandy you can say that again - also the cruises m

@StLouisCruisers you can say that again - along with booking the actual cruise and figuring out which one they will consent to go on.  My DH has told me no long flights any more which really limits our ability to travel.  Next year we have a one way flight to Europe and I guess that is it and like @summer slope we will be driving to FLL which for us is only 45 minutes away.  

Debbie, we're trying to avoid those long international flights too.  And as you said that limits our cruises quite a bit.  Fort Lauderdale is a long distance drive from our house - 600 miles but we've been driving there quite often the past couple of years instead of flying.  Less stress!

44 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Yesterday's sunset on Deer Bay (Lower Buckhorn Lake) Ontario -

20230909_193338.thumb.jpg.bfc0ad40306b0726515162d309b11ea7.jpg

20230909_194310.thumb.jpg.7ff5596e79c77cca3ebbc8696b012e15.jpg

20230909_194824.thumb.jpg.db00be60e7f0ff0efcceb8f5aac7d324.jpg

Gorgeous sunset photos!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 24

Thank you for the photos of Amsterdam, a special shout out to @StLouisCruisers who posts wonderful photos almost every day.  We will be there in October prior to boarding the Rotterdam for a transatlantic cruise.  I guess this is the last year the large cruise ships will depart from there.  We have our activities planned including a private canal boat cruise.  I actually love the planning aspects of travel.  The only thing I haven’t finalized is our meals.  @cruising sister I’m definitely going to get some of those fries!  We are staying at the Movenpick near the central train station and the pet.  Could anyone suggest restaurants for dinner?

Sending you peace healing and all good wishes.  May your life be good.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Thank you @Cruzin Terri and @cat shepard.  We do fly directly to Rome.  Atlanta to Rome. I do have RomeCabs to get from the hotel to the ship, but as they have changed our flight time, I am wary of making that kind of commitment.  And neither of us have international calling on our phones.  We need to somehow get organized.  I also need to get to the Atlanta airport.  I am too old to put up with taking the train with a bunch of luggage, changing trains and wandering through the train station at the airport.  We wont be coming back into Rome after the cruise, we will be staying on, back to Tampa.

DH does not want to get a new phone and have a 3 year contract. I have read that we can buy a sim card when we get to the airport in Italy.  Customer service with Trac phone is rather useless at answering questions.  I will accept any and all suggestions.

Take a look at the WhatsApp app. It is free but You do need wifi to use it but airports generally give you free wifi access. I use WhatsApp to connect with my European and USA relatives that don’t have iPhones. Use for texting and calling. You should find out if romecabs accepts calls from WhatsApp. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@StLouisCruisers one day, if you have time,  when you drive south stop for dinner and we can meet, there are some nice restaurants right off of 95 before you hit FLL.  Also FYI some of the hotels in Palm Beach county are way cheaper than FLL hotels and you are only 45 minutes away from the port. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Grandparents are very special. I was fortunate to have known 3 of mine. All very different and I feel they shaped who I am today. Used to do my sewing than I do now. Still have my sewing machine. Should pull it out and make something. My neighbor has this new fancy thing that does everything. It is amazing.

We had another rocket launch this AM. It was great to see and there were lots of people on the beach to watch. Never gets old.

Heard yesterday that the new Disney ship will be homeported here. It will be a very busy port. I wish the new train would stop here but it is whizzing right by. Poor planning I think. But they didn't ask me.

Hope everyone has a reloaxing Sunday.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 26

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

What can DH and I expect when we arrive in Rome.  What does customs entail?  Are we in line for hours?  The last time I went to Europe was with my parents, and I don't remember going through customs . 

You will go through immigration if it's your first stop in the Schengen Area. Customs in the Schengen Area is basically imperceptible--you just walk out, sometimes through a green door, and they will intercept you if they're suspicious. I don't recall that immigration at Fiumicino/Leonardo da Vinci took any time to speak of, in 2018.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for the photos of Amsterdam, a special shout out to @StLouisCruisers who posts wonderful photos almost every day.  We will be there in October prior to boarding the Rotterdam for a transatlantic cruise.  I guess this is the last year the large cruise ships will depart from there.  We have our activities planned including a private canal boat cruise.  I actually love the planning aspects of travel.  The only thing I haven’t finalized is our meals.  @cruising sister I’m definitely going to get some of those fries!  We are staying at the Movenpick near the central train station and the pet.  Could anyone suggest restaurants for dinner?

Sending you peace healing and all good wishes.  May your life be good.

Thank you Tina!

19 minutes ago, superoma said:

Take a look at the WhatsApp app. It is free but You do need wifi to use it but airports generally give you free wifi access. I use WhatsApp to connect with my European and USA relatives that don’t have iPhones. Use for texting and calling. You should find out if romecabs accepts calls from WhatsApp. 

An excellent idea, Eva!  We use WhatsApp while traveling for keeping in touch with family and have even used it for phone calls back to the states.  When DMIL didn't answer her phone all day while we were in Antwerp, we called DD who couldn't get an answer either.  So she called the police in DMIL's town for a wellness check, who informed DD that DMIL was taken by ambulance to the hospital!!  We wouldn't have known until we got home if we hadn't had the ability to make those phone calls.

18 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

@StLouisCruisers one day, if you have time,  when you drive south stop for dinner and we can meet, there are some nice restaurants right off of 95 before you hit FLL.  Also FYI some of the hotels in Palm Beach county are way cheaper than FLL hotels and you are only 45 minutes away from the port. 

Thanks for the suggestion Debbie, and you never know!  We are usually in a hurry to drop the rental car off next to the hotel but on a short cruise we have driven our own car down and would have more time to stop in Palm Beach county.  

2 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Grandparents are very special. I was fortunate to have known 3 of mine. All very different and I feel they shaped who I am today. Used to do my sewing than I do now. Still have my sewing machine. Should pull it out and make something. My neighbor has this new fancy thing that does everything. It is amazing.

We had another rocket launch this AM. It was great to see and there were lots of people on the beach to watch. Never gets old.

Heard yesterday that the new Disney ship will be homeported here. It will be a very busy port. I wish the new train would stop here but it is whizzing right by. Poor planning I think. But they didn't ask me.

Hope everyone has a reloaxing Sunday.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Is the new ship the Wish?  That's the ship Dixie and George @summer slope are cruising on next April so looks like they leave from Cape Canaveral.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

We're loving our beautiful early fall weather lately.  It will get to the high 70's and stay sunny and warm-but-not-too-warm all week.

I was blessed to know all 4 of my grandparents.  They were all wonderful.  I got my love of gardening from my paternal grandparents, and a few of my health problems from my maternal grandparents (but they were wonderful people anyway) 🤣

When I was younger and raising small children I did a lot of sewing -- but haven't now for years.  Swapping ideas is part of life, and I love it.  Funny quote!  I would like the Pinot Gris, pass on the drink, and would like the meal but minus any dill and olives.  

We've been to Amsterdam a couple times -- in 2018 and for a few days in 2019 on our 75-day 50th anniversary trip.  

Today is laundry and start packing for Alaska.  It has been raining a lot where we're going, but no worries, we in the PNW don't melt when it rains. 😉  

In 2018 we had an overnight in Rotterdam.  On one day we took the train to Amsterdam, did the HOHO, went to the Van Gogh Museum, and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Amsterdam train station

AmsterdamCentral.jpg.3d1b349c98b659826e230d6c381adb05.jpg

Amsterdam2.jpg.e4a579fbba4da86697ecafcf9b54c0d8.jpg

anothercanal.jpg.ecd78e12100f112cff83d0277f8392ad.jpg

canal2.jpg.79b8e88e77e9dd4707798f7e8324e783.jpg

HardRockAmsterdam2.jpg.ed605139e2283aa5291c04304e108005.jpg

In 2019 we stayed at the Movenpick (thank you Debbie @dfish for the recommendation!  We loved that hotel.  We walked all over for hours,  we went to the Anne Frank House (bought our tickets ahead of time), and got flowers for our cabin at the floating flower market. 

Great hotel!

Movenpick.jpg.06df9592dadcaf7443736f09d839cd5e.jpg

Such a sobering experience.  Photos inside weren't allowed.

AFhouse.jpg.b84d39f2d2ad20bd9d87a0ae0404e674.jpg

Flower market

floatingmarket.jpg.64ee8102c2a4264c3ebfa027040c92f4.jpg

Flowers for the cabin

flowersfrommarket.thumb.jpg.fdcf92aeb5c011cd9508810f1e06a4d8.jpg

I loved the flowers along the canal.

flowersalongcanal.jpg.4c0eae08cdda0ccd76b6f1f57f8e20f0.jpg

We had a great send-off from Amsterdam.

Amsterdamfarewell.jpg.8c157eba8375ce76be173dc33fc8c2ce.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4