RCL Customer Service/Ethics Have Vanished - Time to make a move

I have an Anthem Sailing in little over a month that I booked over 1 year ago for my 10th anniversary. I booked this sailing specifically because it stopped at Nassau and my kids really wanted to go to Atlantis.

Well, one day before the checkin process was live I thought I would get current on RCL happening and decided to check out this board. I stumbled across a post that stated Anthem was cancelling stops and changing Itineraries. I soon found out that my sailing was no longer stopping at Nassau. To date I have never been contacted by RCL regarding these changes. RCL notified some customers, and not all, which is insane! I double checked my e-mail, junk, no e-mail. Of course when I double checked and searched everything RCL I could find all my billing e-mails and invoices just fine...but no notification regarding any Itinerary changes. 

So of course I immediately e-mail RCL customer relations and I am told to the Guest Experience Management Team at 800-256-6649.

I contact the number first thing. Talk to someone that tells me that Nassau was canceled because of weather (lol over 6 weeks away) and there was NOTHING RCL would do. I request to speak to their manager. Was again told the itinerary was changed because of weather and it was for my "safety" and there was NOTHING RCL could do. I then request to speak to another manager, over one hour later, I am now told the itinerary was changed for our safety because of "ship speeds", and there was nothing RCL could do.

I then stated how disappointed I was based on the following:

1) I booked this over 1 year ago specifically to go to Nassau and Atlantis

- RCL has since taken all my money for the cruise, excursions, packages, and now decide that they are going to change my itinerary without NOTICE!

2) I was lied to a handful of times. Weather cannot be forecasted 6 weeks out. RCL currently is selling the same cruise to stop at Nassau. RCL CURRENTLY has other ships stopping at NASSAU the SAME WEEK!

3) RCL Offered absolutely NOTHING.

I then PROPOSED to the senior level manager that my funds/bookings are forwarded to another ship leaving the same day that is still SCHEDULED TO STOP AT NASSAU the SAME WEEK and is currently available.

I then told I would have to pay a change fee of $100 p/p and pay the difference in the cruise at today's prices which was over $3,000!!!

I was told I needed to wait for 72hrs to hear from their manager, of course to tell me that RCL will do absolutely nothing...

I know all the RCL tweakers are going to come to their defense, but this is absolutely insane that customers allow for them to get away with such. I paid money based on an itinerary that RCL told me they would deliver, and they are not. Obviously if there was a Hurricane or some kind of natural disaster, sure, things change. But this is a change they are making well after they took all my money, after the point they could give me any refund, and there is absolutely no reason they can not go to where they originally promised. 

Unless something seriously changes in the next 72 hours and I am not forced to go on the sailing as originally promised, RCL will most likely be dead to me. Their customer service and ethics have vanished and I will be selling my stock and no longer selling with this company on any future sellings. I cannot continue to support a company that would treat their customers in this manner and do not understand how others could continue doing so as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How about being accountable and treating your customers with any kind of respect?

This is far more than just the itinerary change at this point. They are stating that the change is for my safety, yet will do absolutely nothing to ensure my safety than by refunding my money or putting me on a ship that is still deemed more safe. 

• Like 2

I feel the same. First and last with RC and we will sell our stock unless they blow us away onboard. 

The port change stinks but is what it is... what bothers me is after being booked for over a year... 6 weeks prior to the cruise and just enough over final payment:

- My kid can no longer be in the Solarium. Being a colder weather cruise we were very much looking forward to and planning for this when we booked. It was one of the reasons we booked the ship to begin with. To add insult to that, we're on the ship for an extra day.

- Port time in PC makes it even more useless as a port than it already was.

- CoCo Cay is our only legitimate port and they moved us to a day with a couple thousand more people and we're arriving second.

- Not only zero compensation but the prices of onboard experiences and excursions have actually gone up.

It's not the itinerary change, it's everything else. Maybe NCL would do the same but since they haven't yet, that's where my money will stay in the future.

I was a relative newbie to cruising years ago when I booked a fall cruise on a different cruise on a different cruise line with a great itinerary.  Well, due to an issue on the prior cruise, we embarked more than a day late.  During that time a tropical storm moved uncomfortably close to our original route.  We missed the highlights of the original itinerary.  In fact, the itinerary was largely up in the air, as it seemed to change so often (thus was before apps, so communications were mostly overhead announcements and paper cruise daily).  This was far, far more disruption than missing Nassau, lol.  So, we really read the cruise contract.  We realized we had no recourse.

Never again have we booked a cruise because we just have to see a specific port or be somewhere a certain day.  We book a land vacation if we must see a certain place.  For cruises we are flexible.  If you read your contract, you may understand why we feel this way.  Again, that was a different cruise line.  I’m not defending Royal.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bummer to hear that this is your first experience with RCL and will be your last…but this experience will save you a lot of money in the long run! 

I feel exactly the same. I am going to call today and if there is no attempt at making this right RCL is history and my shares will be sold as well. 

I am not investing time or money in companies that could care any less about their customers. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

I was a relative newbie to cruising years ago when I booked a fall cruise on a different cruise on a different cruise line with a great itinerary.  Well, due to an issue on the prior cruise, we embarked more than a day late.  During that time a tropical storm moved uncomfortably close to our original route.  We missed the highlights of the original itinerary.  In fact, the itinerary was largely up in the air, as it seemed to change so often (thus was before apps, so communications were mostly overhead announcements and paper cruise daily).  This was far, far more disruption than missing Nassau, lol.  So, we really read the cruise contract.  We realized we had no recourse.

Never again have we booked a cruise because we just have to see a specific port or be somewhere a certain day.  We book a land vacation if we must see a certain place.  For cruises we are flexible.  If you read your contract, you may understand why we feel this way.  Again, that was a different cruise line.  I’m not defending Royal.  

I can deal with weather. Nobody can do anything about. 

This change was tactically made after they took all our money and far before weather could even be a remote reason for the change!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

What port are the substituting?  Obviously something going on with Anthem.  I remember when Oasis limped along miserably a few years ago.  Those people weren't happy either.

Not implying you should be happy!

There is NO substitution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockon391 said:

This change was tactically made after they took all our money and far before weather could even be a remote reason for the change!

It's due to the ship not being able to go as fast due to propulsion issues - it wasn't a money grab gotcha tactic!  It's also not an unsafe ship, just a slower moving one.  

I get that you had lousy responses and treatment from front line phone agents - that seems to be par for the course for ALL companies these days.  I'm always happy when I actually get a knowledgeable and helpful one at the start.  

• Like 9

Just now, ShillyShally said:

It's due to the ship not being able to go as fast due to propulsion issues - it wasn't a money grab gotcha tactic!  It's also not an unsafe ship, just a slower moving one.  

I get that you had lousy responses and treatment from front line phone agents - that seems to be par for the course for ALL companies these days.  I'm always happy when I actually get a knowledgeable and helpful one at the start.  

Lol. A person posted on the skip port thread that they are on Anthem currently and they stated there are not any propulsion issues on the ship…the lies just continue…

RC seems to be able to do whatever they want and people will still flock to book with them.

They have recently increased fees, cut services , and cheapened the menu offerings .

Have you seen what they are charging now to cruise with them . Unless you can find a TA with

group rates you will pay through the nose.

Unfortunately they wont miss the offended pax as others are in line to take their place.

• Like 3

You’re just beating your head against a brick wall.
No matter how many reps you talk to, they can’t change the causal situation or the contract. 

I wouldn’t be happy either but such are the perils of cruising. 
You have two choices.  Either go or cancel. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rockon391 said:

How about being accountable and treating your customers with any kind of respect?

This is far more than just the itinerary change at this point. They are stating that the change is for my safety, yet will do absolutely nothing to ensure my safety than by refunding my money or putting me on a ship that is still deemed more safe. 

They will refund your cruise fare?

I totally understand how you feel. Most here on this site have had the same experience at one time or another. We have lost plenty of ports for many different reasons over all the ships we’ve been on.
We were on a transatlantic cruise just last year that someone got injured on day 2 and we had to turn around and drop them off, which caused us to lose a port that we were really looking forward to visiting.  But we still had a wonderful time and you will too. Go and enjoy the ocean, to me that itself is a destination.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rockon391 said:

I can deal with weather. Nobody can do anything about. 

You are missing the point.  The point is not about weather.  It is about your cruise contract .  If you read your contract, the cruiseline can change the itinerary…pretty much any time for any reason.   If you switch cruiselines, you’ll still have the same issue…potential itinerary change, any time, any reason.  If you quit Royal over this be prepared to quit cruising altogether; the other cruiselines would do the same thing to you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am a retired major reference lab customer service rep.  Good luck talking to a manager.  Managers manage customer service agents.  Our job was to serve customers and shield managers from phone calls.  Your best bet is to ask the agent to email concerns to a manager for some sort of resolution.  Plus no guarantee a same day response.  Call during the week managers on week end are as rare as hen’s teeth.

• Like 1

No, you are missing the point. I have been cruising with RCL for 20 years. I have had a handful of itinerary changes during that period. Stuff happens and that is life. 

This is entirely a different issue and could be prevented if RCL were fair to their customers. I am now on hold and it’s looking like I am having a similar experience. RCL took all my money and then decided to change my itinerary 6 weeks before the cruise and after the point of refunds. 

I would be ok if they offered a refund. So far they have not…

3 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

I am a retired major reference lab customer service rep.  Good luck talking to a manager.  Managers manage customer service agents.  Our job was to serve customers and shield managers from phone calls.  Your best bet is to ask the agent to email concerns to a manager for some sort of resolution.  Plus no guarantee a same day response.  Call during the week managers on week end are as rare as hen’s teeth.

I have literally asked for emails from every person which they refuse to provide. ****** companies don’t like to do anything in writing unless it is at the customer’s expense…

49 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

I have the same issue as the OP. And I just checked the website and it states that the same ship is going to NASSAU 1 week later on the 11/19 sailing. 

Wait, aren’t you the OP?   Or are you using two screen names to post here?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3